Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lunethex posted:

It was on the Dreamcast first. That should explain why.

It was still a hot piece of junk then. The only improvement CV made over the other games was the amazing cross dressing split personality villain and having a knife not be 100% worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

No, he means that because it was a Dreamcast (or "a next gen game") at the time everyone was willing to give its immediate flaws a pass. It's like how a lot of people turned a blind eye to some of MGS4's glaring problems when it first came out, but now people are very upfront about it.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Both the pro and con effort posts about Code Veronica were really interesting reads. Not sure where I side exactly since any recollection is blocked away from the trauma of my last play-through of CVX where for some reason I couldn't get past Axe Monster Steve and had to keep watching the same 15 minutes of loading and cutscenes just to fail again with no/low herbs. Next time I'm putting the ps2 away and just doing an emulator run; save states make reliving the games of the past so much easier.

Dino Crisis 2 really was ahead of its time, it really is amazing how it shifted into action-suspense half a decade before RE4 even tried it (and with RE4 it was their back up plan after Leon VS Ghosts wasn't working out so well). Still, as much as I like the DC2 and RE4s of the world I really miss that puzzle element that made up the classic RE games and DC1. Today action shooters like DC2 are dime a dozen (although not nearly enough with dinosaurs, what the gently caress is up with that), but it doesn't seem anyone is really making "survival horror" like they use to. Come on indie developers give it a shot, the world needs a puzzle and scarcity originated survival horror way more than yet another platformer.

Also, despite the warnings, I went ahead and bought Dino Crisis 3 just cause I had to know and it was cheap. The universe is sending me another warning since I put it in and its one of those games that never got 360 support. gently caress. There's a work around but effort, so I'll put it off until my curiosity gets the better of me again.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I've only played CV:X but it fuckin' ruled because it reintroduced Wesker. drat it.

I can't think of any good Resident Evil game that wasn't also ridiculous and silly at points.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mogomra posted:

I can't think of any good Resident Evil game that wasn't also ridiculous and silly at points.

I think that's a bit more accurate.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Policenaut posted:

No, he means that because it was a Dreamcast (or "a next gen game") at the time everyone was willing to give its immediate flaws a pass. It's like how a lot of people turned a blind eye to some of MGS4's glaring problems when it first came out, but now people are very upfront about it.

This hits the nail on the head. You've gotta remember that these glowing reviews of CV were written almost 15 years ago. At that point:

1. Resident Evil had not been on anything but PlayStation (maybe PC, but not with a big graphics boost)
2. Had not had anything other than pre-rendered backgrounds
3. Was supremely popular

So when you get the first next-gen Resi game with HOLY WOW FIRST TIME EVAR 3D ENVIRONMENTS you're going to get some good reviews. And I found the plot about as batshit as the other games, not better or worse.

I enjoyed it, for what it's worth, and have the HD version on my PS3 now. Much like FFX a lot of people haaaate the voice acting (Tidus/Burnside) but it doesn't bother me as much.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I enjoy Resident Evil Code Veronica myself, although I prefer the original over the X version due to some cutscenes I felt were unnecessary. I enjoyed it far more than I did Nemesis at least.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

I enjoy Resident Evil Code Veronica myself, although I prefer the original over the X version due to some cutscenes I felt were unnecessary. I enjoyed it far more than I did Nemesis at least.

We can't be friends. RE3 is fantastic, and its only flaws are being really short and having a dodge system that only worked right when the planets aligned during a rainstorm on a Tuesday.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Crowetron posted:

We can't be friends. RE3 is fantastic, and its only flaws are being really short and having a dodge system that only worked right when the planets aligned during a rainstorm on a Tuesday.

I was sick of Raccoon City, I think Jill Valentine is boring and the outfit she wears in that game ridiculous and pretty much the only thing I really felt was interesting about it was Nemesis, which he was pretty easy to run from.

Also, Wesker > Nikolai.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

I was sick of Raccoon City, I think Jill Valentine is boring and the outfit she wears in that game ridiculous and pretty much the only thing I really felt was interesting about it was Nemesis, which he was pretty easy to run from.

Also, Wesker > Nikolai.

Man, how are we supposed to argue about this if you have reasonable opinions? :mad:

I like Jill (dull though she might be, she has some good moments towards the end), but yeah, that outfit is pretty bad. I don't think I've played the game in her default outfit since I was a teenager. OG STARS issue shoulder pads for life :colbert:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Crowetron posted:

Man, how are we supposed to argue about this if you have reasonable opinions? :mad:

I like Jill (dull though she might be, she has some good moments towards the end), but yeah, that outfit is pretty bad. I don't think I've played the game in her default outfit since I was a teenager. OG STARS issue shoulder pads for life :colbert:

Her and Chris are definitely made for each other. They are both boring as poo poo. Although, I was kind of happy at finally seeing Chris and Claire finally being reunited.

But Claire's character is weird. They pretty much turned her into a action hero with RE2 and RE:CV, but then you watch the CGI Resident Evil movie and she is pretty useless as a whole.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'd have loved something which just gives us the entire goddamn city to explore and pootle about doing objectives. Operation Raccoon City should have been semi-sandbox where you carry out missions for equipment, upgrades and survival gear. :colbert:

Lotish posted:

Yeah, I kind of like being a faceless goon too. Don't know what it is--call it the Master Chief effect--but it's easier for me to put myself in the shoes of someone whose face I can't see.

:respek: faceless goons unite.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

But Claire's character is weird. They pretty much turned her into a action hero with RE2 and RE:CV, but then you watch the CGI Resident Evil movie and she is pretty useless as a whole.

My memories are hazy since it's been a while since I watched that movie, but didn't she shoot accurately when she had to pick up a gun, despite not having shot anything for years at the point? It seemed more like she had other priorities other than being a frontline asskicker there. Protecting some kid or VIP or something, I can't remember.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

Her and Chris are definitely made for each other. They are both boring as poo poo. Although, I was kind of happy at finally seeing Chris and Claire finally being reunited.

Degeneration is basically just a straight up attempt to cash-in on Leon's newfound popularity and RE2 nostalgia. That's the whole reason the bad guy turns into a Birkin-style monstrosity at the end, complete with a train-elevator fight. Claire's only in that movie so they can say "Hey, remember that game? Claire was in that game!"

Damegane posted:

My memories are hazy since it's been a while since I watched that movie, but didn't she shoot accurately when she had to pick up a gun, despite not having shot anything for years at the point? It seemed more like she had other priorities other than being a frontline asskicker there. Protecting some kid or VIP or something, I can't remember.

Her main contribution to the plot was hacking some computer file to find out about yet another Umbrella conspiracy or something.

Raziel 0128
Feb 18, 2011
She's also responsible for helping anyone survive the airport outbreak and keeping the senator and Rani alive when they're holed up. She's the one both responsible for letting Leon know where in the airport they are and figuring out Frederick Downing's bullshit whilst Leon's having yet another pointless romance.

Leon always gets into fights and fails at romance whilst she's always the one doing the actual plot (curing sherry, finding the escape route, dealing with the villains or slowing that self-destruct mechanism for him. I do like she's apparently the only one in RE6 to know Simmons is full of poo poo despite not actually having an appearance.

Capcom likes to use the "her story is over" or "she's a non-combatant" excuse these days but the former is a cop-out and the latter is contrary to anything we've seen yeah she took a non-combat role but she's always the most competent in whatever game she turns up in. Leon and Ada's solution to a Tyrant menacing them in a power room is to blindly shoot handgun bullets at point blank range and cause a self-destruct, Claire's is to make it throw itself into molten iron without a shot fired whilst protecting a kid.

Code Veronica's just a massive disappointment to me, I like Claire, Chris and Wesker but the latter two only really good interesting in RE5/Post -CVX so it's just bland all around with only one good character holding up the plot from Steve and Alfred's craziness. There's barely any interaction between Chris and Claire after 1 and a half games of building up to it and 90% of Chris' dialogue in Code Veronica is "WESKER" in varying tones. :effort:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
RE4 is finally getting the PC port it deserves!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3waXAcZibpI

Arrives on Steam February 28 for $20. Pre-orders open today, with a digital art-book and 60-track OST as the bonus. Includes the Separate Ways content, widescreen and gamepad support, a visual touch-up and Steam stuff like achievements and the like. Oh, and lighting. It's got that in spades.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
"Contains uncensored scenes of graphic, high definition violence and terror...IN HD"

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yes Capcom I will continue to buy Resident Evil 4 every time you put it out.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I bought the crappy PC port like 5 months ago :negative:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Iretep posted:

Cherish it as an artefact of a pre-MT Framework, pre-Steam era.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Kins posted:

RE4 is finally getting the PC port it deserves!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3waXAcZibpI

Arrives on Steam February 28 for $20. Pre-orders open today, with a digital art-book and 60-track OST as the bonus. Includes the Separate Ways content, widescreen and gamepad support, a visual touch-up and Steam stuff like achievements and the like. Oh, and lighting. It's got that in spades.

After the loving disgrace that was the original PC port, I'm gonna wait and see on this one.

Skeezy posted:

Yes Capcom I will continue to buy Resident Evil 4 every time you put it out.

Did you buy the original PC version? The version with no mouse support and no lighting and prerendered cutscenes and lower quality textures than on Gamecube ? :wtc:

That game was so shameful it convinced Capcom to rethink its porting practices. Just wow.

Iretep posted:

Jesus tittyfucking Christ, whyyyy? I guess there's at least some pimpin' user mods out there to replace it with the ripped GC textures and add in mouse support, but man. That was a rookie mistake.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Thats quite alright. I already own RE4 on Gamecube, Wii, and PS3.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
So long as they allow the knife in that hour long Ada mission. The PS2 didn't let you use the knife and no way to fight the boss like my Leon did.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

So long as they allow the knife in that hour long Ada mission. The PS2 didn't let you use the knife and no way to fight the boss like my Leon did.

She has more than enough bullets to just up and kill Krauser by shooting him in the knees a bunch then unloading with the TMP.

I've never knife fought Krauser either though so it wasn't a big change in strategy. I just pop him in the knees, switch to the magnum, and move on with my life.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What'll it be, stran-juh!?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
So can we play co-op in RE4 mercs yet?

Because, you know, I still want to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lunethex posted:

So can we play co-op in RE4 mercs yet?

Because, you know, I still want to.

Mercenaries on the 3DS would be your best bet. Not a lot of other options and I doubt they'll recode RE4 to allow multiplayer.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Barudak posted:

She has more than enough bullets to just up and kill Krauser by shooting him in the knees a bunch then unloading with the TMP.

I've never knife fought Krauser either though so it wasn't a big change in strategy. I just pop him in the knees, switch to the magnum, and move on with my life.
Bullets are boring and I enjoyed the knife fight with Leon.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I know these PC re-releases usually have the laziest Steam achievements, but I can only hope there will be one for going fishing down at the lake shore.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I'll buy this even though it's just RE4 again. Hell, I'll probably buy it for my buddy who co-oped through RE5&6 with me, just so he can finally understand why I kept referencing the drat game while we played the other two.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
You're god damned right I'll drop $20 for 60fps RE4. Hows about a proper DMC3 port next, Capcom?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Equilibrium posted:

You're god damned right I'll drop $20 for 60fps RE4. Hows about a proper DMC3 port next, Capcom?

Ugh, the existing DMC3 port is sooooooo bad. Luckily DMC4 runs great.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Here's a neat little chart of all the different RE4 releases so far, seems the 60fps that this new HD port is getting will make this one the definitive version to get and hopefully we can stop buying them, unless emulators can already uncap the 30fps.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I'm glad we've hit the point that we can now name things Ultimate HD.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pasteurized Milk posted:

I'm glad we've hit the point that we can now name things Ultimate HD.

Resident Evil 4: Ultimate HD: Fight for the Future: Clash of Heroes

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Give it a few years and we can have Superior 4K.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Resident Evil 4: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate HD Boy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Barudak posted:

Resident Evil 4: Ultimate HD: Fight for the Future: Clash of Heroes: The Movie: The Game

Wasted opportunity right there.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I haven't played RE4 yet so this is pretty much perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Resident Evil 4: Definitive ultimate super hyper get in championship turbo edition.