Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Spacebump posted:

Can anyone here tell me how the Wii U version of this game is?
It's fine. I feel like the transition between gameplay and cut scenes can be a bit choppy, but it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's fine. I feel like the transition between gameplay and cut scenes can be a bit choppy, but it's fine.

It is that way on PS3 too.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

So the multiplayer is still pretty bad, but I just had a great moment with it. My team, as Joker's thugs, got to the door for one of them to play as the Joker. Immediately after he stepped in, Batman got him with an inverted takedown, winning the game for the heroes.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is probably the most unintentionally hilarious thing in Arkham Origins.

Mainly because I'm 95% sure that password is talking about Black Mask's parents. :v:

"Hey Bats, what you hiding up there for? Running home to your mama?!"

":saddowns:"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Sleepy Owl posted:

So the multiplayer is still pretty bad, but I just had a great moment with it. My team, as Joker's thugs, got to the door for one of them to play as the Joker. Immediately after he stepped in, Batman got him with an inverted takedown, winning the game for the heroes.

Well, you can't deny that you didn't get the real Batman experience.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Batman straight up torturing these guys who can't fight back instead of threatening them for information is really uncomfortable. I don't remember anything like him breaking most of Black Mask's ribs then threatening to gently caress with his pacemaker and getting ready to actually do it until Copperhead stops him happening in the other games.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Batman straight up torturing these guys who can't fight back instead of threatening them for information is really uncomfortable. I don't remember anything like him breaking most of Black Mask's ribs then threatening to gently caress with his pacemaker and getting ready to actually do it until Copperhead stops him happening in the other games.

poo poo like that does happen in the comics though. It's not like its totally out of character for a scary and violent individual to use fear and violence.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Batman just knocked himself out with his own counterattack. When I reloaded it went somewhere else because fighting five heavies in this game is impossible, I knocekd everyone out, the combat ended, then they got back up and started fighting again. This game is broken.

MrJacobs posted:

poo poo like that does happen in the comics though. It's not like its totally out of character for a scary and violent individual to use fear and violence.

That doesn't make playing it any more comfortable. I really shouldn't be glad somebody stopped Batman from doing something.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, the part where he saves Black Mask only to beat the poo poo out of him was kind of uncomfortable. Especially since Black Mask had already had the poo poo beaten out of him by the Joker and his goons. The pacemaker thing really made me wonder if Batman was crazy.

RBA Starblade posted:

I knocekd everyone out, the combat ended, then they got back up and started fighting again. This game is broken.

Aha, so it doesn't just happen for my game. That's good to know.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Isn't him being angry and violent kind of the point of those early days, where he's apparently driven more by a need to punish than to enact justice? He's noticeably calmer and more level-headed in the 'next' games, characterization I doubt is being unintentionally contradicted.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm not saying it contradicts his character development, since Batman is noticeably far more violent in this game than the others such as the ridiculously long (yet satisfying) beatdown on the Joker at the end. It just kind of surprised me, I suppose, to see Batman going towards measures that really seem near lethal.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Sylphid posted:

Do you mean the Most Wanted missions or Shiva and Deadshot? You face Shiva by completing her request from when you completed the bank and going to the lobby area in Wonder Park afterward, and Deadshot's predator sequence is unlocked by doing a crime scene analysis from an SOS call in New Gotham and going to the bank afterwards.

Yeah, sorry. I meant the Most Wanted. I got Penguin, Shiva, Anarky, Deadshot and I think a few more but a three or four more of them are greyed out entirely.

edit: Also, for the players going back to Asylum, does the muscle memory factor of City and Origins gently caress you up a lot since (I don't think) there's a few quick fire gadgets that aren't mapped to controls in AA? I've been thinking about starting a new run through all three games, starting with Asylum, but I'm worried my button pressing habits will gently caress me up.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 20, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I played Arkham City before Asylum and it was a bit jarring to have only quickfire batarang and batclaw in addition to lack of access to things like Multi-Batarang takedown or dive boosting.

For the most part, though, I was able to deal with it since the core controls are the same.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm not saying it contradicts his character development, since Batman is noticeably far more violent in this game than the others such as the ridiculously long (yet satisfying) beatdown on the Joker at the end. It just kind of surprised me, I suppose, to see Batman going towards measures that really seem near lethal.

Yeah, I mean if the point is that Batman isn't much of a hero yet and really shouldn't be doing this that's fine, it's just, holy poo poo Batman wants to give a dude multiple heart attacks until they do what he wants.

By the way, if I don't unlock sonic batarangs in the story I can't use them in the challenge mode right? I'm really bad at going unseen and the couple times I did the game didn't count it. I don't ever really use them too much, I'm just curious. Actually on the predator mode side, it's fun loving around with thugs by grappling things to them. :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 20, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Gadgets unlock in challenge maps based on what you have unlocked in the story.

It why I had to start a new save game file, because I wanted that Sonic Shock Batarang and some of the ranks for Worst Nightmare were glitching on me. :colbert:

At least they fixed that annoying auto-save bug in the Gotham Royal Hotel recently.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Timeless Appeal posted:

I can confirm, very little problems in 40 hours of gameplay.

Anyhow do you get something for getting the Pinkney tapes/Anarky Tags? Those things are way harder to find than the previous games' mysteries.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Anyhow do you get something for getting the Pinkney tapes/Anarky Tags? Those things are way harder to find than the previous games' mysteries.

Experience points and more completion points for the World's Greatest Detective achievement.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, the part where he saves Black Mask only to beat the poo poo out of him was kind of uncomfortable. Especially since Black Mask had already had the poo poo beaten out of him by the Joker and his goons. The pacemaker thing really made me wonder if Batman was crazy.

I still can't feel bad for Roman there, the torture chair he was tied to and all the tools around the office belong to him.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

That kind of reminds me of an episode of Justice League Unlimited that I watched, "The Man Who Has Everything." Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman come across a telepathic creature that, when attached to the victim, shows them visions of what they desire the most. It attaches to Batman and he gets stuck in a dream, of course, of him at 8 years old leaving the movie theatre with his parents. A mugger appears, but his dad heroically punches and disarms him. Hooray, you say! A happy turn of events for Bruce! But then his dad keeps punching...and punching....and punching. Diana finally catches up to Bruce and he's got this euphoric grin on his face, all the while dreaming about his old man pounding some dude into hamburger. I had to laugh, though that probably wasn't the intended effect.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

poptart_fairy posted:

"Hey Bats, what you hiding up there for? Running home to your mama?!"

":saddowns:"

"When I get out I'm going to kill your whole family!"

"You shouldn't have said that!" *crunch*

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I still can't feel bad for Roman there, the torture chair he was tied to and all the tools around the office belong to him.

I suppose you're right, but still...

Seventh Arrow posted:

That kind of reminds me of an episode of Justice League Unlimited that I watched, "The Man Who Has Everything." Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman come across a telepathic creature that, when attached to the victim, shows them visions of what they desire the most. It attaches to Batman and he gets stuck in a dream, of course, of him at 8 years old leaving the movie theatre with his parents. A mugger appears, but his dad heroically punches and disarms him. Hooray, you say! A happy turn of events for Bruce! But then his dad keeps punching...and punching....and punching. Diana finally catches up to Bruce and he's got this euphoric grin on his face, all the while dreaming about his old man pounding some dude into hamburger. I had to laugh, though that probably wasn't the intended effect.

Well, to be fair, Bruce actually considered beating Joe Chill to death in the comic where he finally managed to confront him. They even made a Brave and the Bold episode about it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They didn't test the Firefly fight at all did they? I had to restart the beginning of it because nobody could attack, including Batman, and near the end he apparently ran out of glue grenades, making it unwinnable. It was an interesting fight besides that though, having a gadget-off with Firefly is a fun idea. Also it is a really nice touch that when Batman is using the shock gloves to revive Alfred, the subtitles switch from referring to Batman to referring to Bruce Wayne.

e: VVV Oh yeah I forgot about that, that's pretty messed up too.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 21, 2014

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Taking Mr. Freeze's life juice off of him and slowly spilling it onto the floor seems pretty comparable. Batman's always been a sadistic dick in the Arkham series, which is one of the reasons why the writing is so lacking.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

RBA Starblade posted:

They didn't test the Firefly fight at all did they? I had to restart the beginning of it because nobody could attack, including Batman, and near the end he apparently ran out of glue grenades, making it unwinnable. It was an interesting fight besides that though, having a gadget-off with Firefly is a fun idea. Also it is a really nice touch that when Batman is using the shock gloves to revive Alfred, the subtitles switch from referring to Batman to referring to Bruce Wayne.

You don't actually need the glue grenades to beat Firefly, you can just throw batarang a any time you aren't dodging.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Stun grenades work too. I was a little disappointed that the disruptor did nothing though :(

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Glue grenades are worth it for his comments though. :v:

Anyway, what's the point of Can Get All Riddler Trophies now in City? With Asylum it's the fireworks, but I'm drawing a blank with this one. Been so long since I did a campaign runthrough.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

poptart_fairy posted:

Glue grenades are worth it for his comments though. :v:

Anyway, what's the point of Can Get All Riddler Trophies now in City? With Asylum it's the fireworks, but I'm drawing a blank with this one. Been so long since I did a campaign runthrough.

You get to punch that smug rear end in a top hat in his drat face. Thats why.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ah no, sorry. I meant what's the point in the game where you can get them all, not what the point of getting them all is!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Arkham Batman has always been the epitome of rear end in a top hat, remember when Robin helped him out?
I HAD THE SITUATION TAKEN CARE OF!
Or the random quips:
"Batman, scarecrow is gonna kill that dude!"
"No, he ain't."

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

poptart_fairy posted:

Ah no, sorry. I meant what's the point in the game where you can get them all, not what the point of getting them all is!

Line Launcher, but I think you also need to get some upgrades from the gadget skill tree as well.

ed: Sorry, the City plotline is kind of hazy, it really felt like an excuse for a bunch of macguffin hunts.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 21, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I know you need the disruptor upgrades, the freeze grenades, and the line launcher, but im not sure which one is the last one you get in the story.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

Taking Mr. Freeze's life juice off of him and slowly spilling it onto the floor seems pretty comparable. Batman's always been a sadistic dick in the Arkham series, which is one of the reasons why the writing is so lacking.

He's been a sadistic dick since 1939 where he threw dudes off buildings and poo poo. In Year One he straight tortured some dealer bugging out on coke until he went states evidence on Flass and Loeb. He only became slightly more gentle when Robin came along but he was still a dangerous individual, just more precise and collected, still a giant rear end in a top hat who has no problem leaving you in a wheelchair for the rest of your life if you are a violent criminal.

I finally got my copy of Origins back from my brother, and I was wondering if Initation Bruce Wayne had any alternate costumes?

blackguy32 posted:

I know you need the disruptor upgrades, the freeze grenades, and the line launcher, but im not sure which one is the last one you get in the story.

Freeze Grenades.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

MrJacobs posted:

I finally got my copy of Origins back from my brother, and I was wondering if Initation Bruce Wayne had any alternate costumes?

The other skin Initiation Bruce has is Vigilante Bruce, just him wearing a ninja mask and a lot of gear before he had the idea of the bat.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Really? I found the Firefly fight be one of the few things in-game to work perfectly.

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah, Batman's a jackass for doing that. And he really just spends all of Arkham City being a loner and a jerk (which makes less in-universe sense after the lesson he learned in Origins).

That might be why I prefer playing as Robin in City more. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the answer, guys. I want to try and nab all the trophies before I do my NG+ run. Just got up to the Freeze fight. I forgot how fantastic it is. :allears:

And I dunno...I enjoy Batman being a sadistic dick, adds an extra edge to the 'wants total control' element I've seen used to explain him elsewhere. I find him quite dull in the comics so never really followed him admittedly, which has skewed my perspective. He's not exactly amazing in Arkham but I find him more...eh...intriguing? Having him be something of a sadist seems very much in-line with the broken bones, jaws and punctured lungs he leaves in his wake; something a lot of SUPER HEROIC characters don't really dwell on.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Well, for me the issue is that if I wanted to play a video game where I'm a sadistic angry loner jerk, I could play any other video game. I liked the bits in Arkham where Batman's clever and sets up elaborate plans. When he gets angry and starts snapping at Oracle, the character just feels like Generic Angry Guy instead of The Goddamn Batman.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

You don't actually need the glue grenades to beat Firefly, you can just throw batarang a any time you aren't dodging.

That didn't seem to affect his health bar, does he just take less damage if you don't glue him?

quote:

Having him be something of a sadist seems very much in-line with the broken bones, jaws and punctured lungs he leaves in his wake; something a lot of SUPER HEROIC characters don't really dwell on.

Something I do like is how Enigma and Anarky both point out that Batman's just as much of a criminal as they are, they're all just committing different crimes. Also how Bane is using Batman as an excuse to go hogwild on Gotham, like he just decided "well I'm here, might as well start taking it over while I wait for Batman to solve that puzzle".

I also like how they have the fat cop from the 90s show. :v:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Bullock rules, and I hope there's more of him in the future.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

Bullock was written for the 70s Batman as well! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

poptart_fairy posted:

Post-game, actually. There's one last thing you get to be able to collect them all but it's during the point-of-no-return missions.

edit: trophies are shared between the regular story and NG+ but if you're better off trying to collect them either all in regular story or blitzing through to the end of NG+ (since they take away a few things; not gadgets however)

• Locked thread