Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Stolen synopsis and image since laziness is the name of the game tonight

"Han Jee-Han, a normal high school student, suddenly develops a special power where his entire world is shifted into a game-like setting. He can see the power levels of people, look at the stats of a seemingly normal item, get abilities, and even level up! Follow Han Jee-Han as he discovers how to use this power, and maybe even where it came from."

It's a korean webcomic and you might enjoy it if you like silly comics and watching some dude deal with a whole bunch of dumb rpg crap in the real world

:ducksiren:
Read it on Webtoons.
:ducksiren:

bofa salesman fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
I know it's no longer legal there but the scene with his teacher beating him was really strange to see in a modern setting.

Edit: Wow it keeps happening.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
Should have been the Games tag.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I like this webcomic WAY more than I should.

Zahrkon
Apr 2, 2010

Pyronic posted:

I like this webcomic WAY more than I should.

Yeah i feel the same way, the art isn't particularly good and the story isn't that great but for some reason it's become my most anticipated comic each week. I'm hoping he starts getting some gear drops and forms a guild with his friend and whoever else shows up.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I wasn't expecting much but this is really great. I love how the story is peeling back the layers of his ability, and all the surrounding lore. The comedy is pretty solid, too - I'll never get tired of other people's "goddamn man your ability is loving ridiculous" reactions. :allears:

But drat you lil baby anime for not waiting until there were a few hundred chapters or so before getting me hooked on it. At least the chapters are pretty long.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
If he keeps stacking passive stat boosts like that things are going to get out of hand.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

If he keeps stacking passive stat boosts like that things are going to get out of hand.

It's going to be like what happens in Skyrim if you exploit the fact that you can have alchemy which increases enchantments and enchantments which increase alchemy and both alchemy and enchantments that increase blacksmithing. I still haven't finished that game because I broke it by doing that and it became too easy.

I'm curious about what Wisdom does (that is different from intelligence, anyway).

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

XboxPants posted:

I wasn't expecting much but this is really great. I love how the story is peeling back the layers of his ability, and all the surrounding lore. The comedy is pretty solid, too - I'll never get tired of other people's "goddamn man your ability is loving ridiculous" reactions. :allears:

But drat you lil baby anime for not waiting until there were a few hundred chapters or so before getting me hooked on it. At least the chapters are pretty long.

His own reactions to his ability are pretty great too. My favorite so far was his reaction to the completely ridiculous passive buffs from that first chunbumoon book.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Wow, what a great recommendation! I sped through this in like an hour and I'm hungry for more! Even though the art and story aren't the greatest, the protagonist's superpower is just so interesting that you can't help but want more!

What was most interesting to me was when he formed the spinning energy blast. The notification popped up implying that he actually thought up a new skill. If he can figure out how to do it, maybe he can think up a skill that passively increases EXP gained, or lowers the costs of leveling up skills...

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I can't be the only one who thinks that he needed to dump all of his stats into Luck right?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Death Bot posted:

I can't be the only one who thinks that he needed to dump all of his stats into Luck right?

That sort of depends on how luck works, in most games it's either a pretty terrible stat or a stat only for very specialized builds. Also, even if luck works more like it would in real life remember about how you get punished by karma or whatever if you affect the real world too much? So if he dumped into luck and won lotto or something he might get punished in some way. He has some skills that he knows are based on intelligence, he has some stuff that he wants to get using intelligence and he knows that it's a useful stat for everyday life, so I think he made the best choice.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

He should run LUC+INT and become the South Korean Warren Buffett.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I think my favorite moment in this so far is Sun-Il's face when he gets the party invitation. I guess he understood the existence of the power, but didn't really expect it to really be... What it is.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That sort of depends on how luck works, in most games it's either a pretty terrible stat or a stat only for very specialized builds. Also, even if luck works more like it would in real life remember about how you get punished by karma or whatever if you affect the real world too much? So if he dumped into luck and won lotto or something he might get punished in some way. He has some skills that he knows are based on intelligence, he has some stuff that he wants to get using intelligence and he knows that it's a useful stat for everyday life, so I think he made the best choice.

Yeah, the example explicitly given was 'using power to win lotto = get hit by bus', so Luk could be kind of bad. Unless he is special and doesn't get karma hits, but we haven't seen that.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

Yeah, the example explicitly given was 'using power to win lotto = get hit by bus', so Luk could be kind of bad. Unless he is special and doesn't get karma hits, but we haven't seen that.

From the looks of it, you're allowed to use your power so long as people don't notice that your success is odd. Winning the lottery would draw a lot of attention, but aiming lower or hiding just how successful you are seems like something you can get away with. Like the example of someone who used their abilities to sell more stuff. It didn't really affect anyone else in the normal world too much, so he got away with it.

Also, winning the lottery and then being shitcanned by karma for doing so doesn't seem very lucky. If anything a high luck stat might help him avoid situations where random chance would get him into trouble with the whole karma thing. His power seems to be able to gently caress with the world to get things to work too, so it's entirely possible that the rules can bend for him.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Based on the fact that he's basically playing a video game, I don't think that Luck specifically would make anything happen that could cause him to "lose" the game. Obviously it hasn't really been explained though.

I was just saying that maxing Luck can be really funny in certain games :v:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That sort of depends on how luck works, in most games it's either a pretty terrible stat or a stat only for very specialized builds.
All builds in New Vegas should have high luck.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I am loving this to bits. It's such a wonderful collection of game idiosyncrasies all in one place. The expressions really tie it all together.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

How often does this come out? Are the translators fast? :ohdear:

I like taking the "stuck inside a game" idea and turning it about to "game stuck inside the real world".

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

nielsm posted:

I like taking the "stuck inside a game" idea and turning it about to "game stuck inside the real world".

Im almost certain this is new, so its already caught up and we are just getting weekly updates.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

nielsm posted:

New issues get released every Thursday. The translators usually release on Friday or Saturday.

This is a naver webtoon, so you can look at the raws here:

http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/list.nhn?titleId=552960

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
This quickly became my favorite manhwa. Its combination of absurdity and logic in the face of it is so great.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I wonder what happens when he runs out of HP. Your average MMO doesn't have permadeath.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Slime posted:

I wonder what happens when he runs out of HP. Your average MMO doesn't have permadeath.

He respawns at his home obviously :v:

I can't wait for see him being scammed by arbitrarly mechanics than force him to spent millions on good armor/party members.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I love how he tries to come to terms that having a well-rounded character in real life is the way to go, as opposed to showing all the points into one stat as game logic dictates :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Except that he's simultaneously stuck in a chi-power fighting manga at the same time, so instead he's dumping all his points into INT and seeing what that awesome skill is. Which, thinking about it, isn't necessarily such a bad idea in real life.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh wow, this is surprisingly fun.

Shouldn't he have the +10% INT Bonus displaying along with the other attributes from the Chunbu Spirit Technique?

Ytlaya posted:

I'm curious about what Wisdom does (that is different from intelligence, anyway).

I'm willing to bet that you get wise enough to know (and immediately regret) that you shouldn't have put points in Wisdom.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 22, 2014

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wisdom is probably just +Mana, like Endurance is +Hp.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Elentor posted:

Oh wow, this is surprisingly fun.

Shouldn't he have the +10% INT Bonus displaying along with the other attributes from the Chunbu Spirit Technique?

I'm willing to bet that you get wise enough to know (and immediately regret) that you shouldn't have put points in Wisdom.

You gotta put points into wisdom for that sweet sweet XP boost! :science:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hey, that could be it. What if Wisdom affects the rate at which you gain levels or affects the creation of new skills somehow?

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I read trough everything in a single sitting, this is really fun, thanks for making a thread!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
All this stats chat has made wonder if he would get swole as gently caress by dumping his points on STR :v:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

All this stats chat has made wonder if he would get swole as gently caress by dumping his points on STR :v:

He seems to think so - he points out that he added a bunch of stats to strength in either the first or second chapter, and says he was stronger when he tested it out. He also thinks higher int = smarter IRL, but we haven't seen any results of that. I was hoping his reaction in the school in the latest chapter was going to be him going 'wow this is all baby level easy, but nope, time freeze.

DrSunshine posted:

Except that he's simultaneously stuck in a chi-power fighting manga at the same time, so instead he's dumping all his points into INT and seeing what that awesome skill is. Which, thinking about it, isn't necessarily such a bad idea in real life.

This is also incorrect, he's dropping points in Int because his thought is that int is the most important stat for a normal life, his mom wants him to be a doctor so clearly he needs to be smart. His friend points out that 'woah that's one of our highest techniques, we aren't gonna teach it to you' and he's like 'oh yeah, I know, it's just a good thing to aim for stats wise since that's the highest requirement I've seen'.

He's still in the 'I don't want to just be part of The Abyss, I need a normal life' mode.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 22, 2014

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

This is also incorrect, he's dropping points in Int because his thought is that int is the most important stat for a normal life, his mom wants him to be a doctor so clearly he needs to be smart. His friend points out that 'woah that's one of our highest techniques, we aren't gonna teach it to you' and he's like 'oh yeah, I know, it's just a good thing to aim for stats wise since that's the highest requirement I've seen'.

He's still in the 'I don't want to just be part of The Abyss, I need a normal life' mode.

Yeah. Someone earlier was saying that he was trying to come to terms with the fact that having an all-rounder character is the way to go, but that's not what happened at all. No matter what goal he ends up building towards, his conclusion was that he should treat his ability like he would in a game and not waste his stat points raising everything equally.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

nielsm posted:

Yeah I really like that spin on things and it's fun thinking about just how broken Jee-Han's ability is.

Calm and collected mind in the face of any danger.
No negative consequences for taking damage, unless the damage is fatal. (Well he still feels some pain and certain damage could apply negative statuses.)
Improved passive healing rate and an easy full-heal just from one night's rest.
Private pocket dimension inventory. (Makes him extremely difficult to rob and also means he could be an incredible thief/smuggler himself unless the ability has extra restrictions. It would also work for a stage magician or allow him near-infinite ammunition for ranged weapons at no weight cost. Potentially there are defensive applications too, if a bomb is about to explode he might be able to safely deposit it inside his inventory.)
Equipment screen which presumably can be used for super-fast clothes changing, though I'm not sure how useful that is.
Observe skill to magically gain information about people/monsters/items. (Power levels, stat distributions, brief descriptions, healthbar, item rarity... and there's a lot of scope for this skill to grow further. Even with his current ability he'd have an unfair information advantage in sports betting. Oh and if his observe ability is just based on seeing an object then presumably he'd be be able to tell the difference between playing cards based on the back of the card? Also it has listed magical applications thus far so maybe it acts like a a free Identify spell too.)
Quest system. (Potential as a communication method, potential for XP exploits depending on the rules. So far his only quests have come from his mother though.)
Status notifications. (Presumably if he got drugged or poisoned this means he'd notice much faster and it also makes it easier to notice/quantify environmental effects.)
Allocatable stat points with instant effects. (Point allocation isn't limited by which stats were used in earning levels so physical training can get points to pump into mental stats... and he can stockpile points until he knows what to spend them on. He can even pump stat points mid-fight if he had a stockpile or just leveled up)
Seemingly no skill or stat degradation.
Improved and quantifiable training effectiveness.
Ability to flawlessly execute any learned skill. (But mastery provides a speed & effectiveness bonuses)
Good chance to learn skills through simple experimentation or emulation. (Seems like copying magic attacks from TV shows works here too).
Ability to instantly learn skills from certain books. (It'd be interesting to see how much he'd get from a trip to the library or if there other types of book bonuses or if he gets mastery points for consuming a book from a learned skill.)
Ability to invent new magic skills on the fly.
Ability to let his ability partially apply to other people. (Also a level-balancing option for party members.)
Magical healing skill to instantly heal himself or others. (The illness and status effect removal alone are enough to make him better than the world's greatest doctor)
Magical ranged damage skills.
Magical melee damage skills.
Magical personal buff skills and passive boosts.
Various completion bonuses.
Life-drain skill with the possibility of becoming a life-sharing skill too.
Creating basic pocket dimensions, with a lot of possibilities for more specialized ones. (Various training areas, recreation areas, a hospital, a prison and Reality Marble attacks. But even basic pocket dimensions would be great for hiding from normal people)
Gaining items and money from defeated monsters when normally they don't even have anything to drop. (Possibly exploitable in combination with friendly monster summoning).
Crafting skill.
The combination of a crafting skill and pocket dimensions offers the distant possibility of Unlimited Blade Works / Gate of Babylon style attacks, assuming crafting is not poo poo.

Also some incredibly powerful abilities don't seem at all out of place as a gamer power. A "Pause" option functioning a time stop, a resurrection ability, savestates, permanent youth/lack of aging, communication systems for players in his party and some form of teleportation. Actually re-specing seems like one of the most unlikely abilities based on the known rules.

Answer - pretty loving broken. Most of it doesn't apply to direct combat though.

KittyEmpress posted:

Bumping Int first sounds like a good plan, because it'll make him smart enough to know the best way to spend the rest of his points.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

He's achieved Elder Scrolls CHIM. :allears: This manwha rules.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

The mention about quests coming from his mom makes me wonder. He can't see her level because it's so high, so there's obviously something special about her. In an MMO, quests come from developers. Maybe she has something to do with the ability?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slime posted:

The mention about quests coming from his mom makes me wonder. He can't see her level because it's so high, so there's obviously something special about her. In an MMO, quests come from developers. Maybe she has something to do with the ability?

I think anything that happens is conformed to the molds of an MMO to him. Just like something he made qualified as a new spell, so the universe converted it to a new spell, even though he isn't a developer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Slime posted:

As I said to a friend, I'm really hoping he's wrong and the ??? is the result of her having an ability that's incompatible with his imposed worldview. I want it to turn out that she's a huge fan of movies or soap operas or sci-fi books and has her own version of his world-warping ability. Movies don't have character levels!