Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Lame. The service named after TR's dog has been renamed after a lovely headphones brand. And it's underwhelming like everything else TR has been involved in lately.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/13/5306596/beats-music-the-streaming-music-service-from-dr-dre-trent-reznor-and

I guess that's kinda old news but it just popped up on my RSS feed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

It was always a Beats affiliated thing though? More people will be inclined to try Beats Music than a app named after a flower/TR's dog.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The dog that died falling off a stage on the Further Down The Spiral Tour and appears on Broken?

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

LordPants posted:

The dog that died falling off a stage on the Further Down The Spiral Tour and appears on Broken?

Different dog.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

LordPants posted:

No, the world-famous Daisy May!

rip good dog

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

Lame. The service named after TR's dog has been renamed after a lovely headphones brand. And it's underwhelming like everything else TR has been involved in lately.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/13/5306596/beats-music-the-streaming-music-service-from-dr-dre-trent-reznor-and

I guess that's kinda old news but it just popped up on my RSS feed.

You are delusional if you thought it was going to be names any different.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Call Me Charlie posted:

I don't know man I thought Hesitation Marks was really good.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

They also bought MOG. MOG was better than Spotify in a lot of ways, and I actually used it for way longer than I did Spotify before switching to iTunes Match. This should be a good service.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Trent posted these 2 pictures on Instagram and said Beats Music is launching in the US on Tuesday:

Doesn't look terribly different from other streaming music services, but I'll give it a shot.

That first picture shows what looks like a public playlist he made that people have subscribed to, so that's a pretty neat feature. That might set it above the rest, but I don't know if other services offer that sort of thing too since I only use a couple of them.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That first picture shows what looks like a public playlist he made that people have subscribed to, so that's a pretty neat feature. That might set it above the rest, but I don't know if other services offer that sort of thing too since I only use a couple of them.

Spotify does this. The only thing that is going to set these services apart is their catalog and their pricing, I think.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

A nicer feature would be an auto-updating playlist so I can stalk Papa Reznor in new and exciting ways.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?

Dr Tran posted:

Yeah, big part of why I thought the Fonda show was better than the would-have-been-final Wiltern show.

Surprisingly, NIN is not playing at Coachella. The gap in tour dates was set up for it.

Very sad that they won't be at Coachella. :( OutKast/NIN/Arcade Fire woulda been rad.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Spotify does this. The only thing that is going to set these services apart is their catalog and their pricing, I think.

Well that and the tie in to Dre Beats headphones which could end up being a significant aspect.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

http://www.antiquiet.com/music/2014/01/qotsa-nin-dave-grohl-and-lindsey-buckingham-to-close-out-grammy-awards/

A reason to watch the Grammys? (Or the last few minutes of it at least.)

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Well, there's this new NIN remix EP: https://twitter.com/nineinchnails/status/425681999047561216

Which I can't get, because none of my mobile devices are compatible with the Beats Music app, which awesomely can only be installed on mobile devices, and not on computers at all.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Well I do have a iPhone so I just downloaded the app this morning. It's really cool, and I really like their whole music for whatever moment you're in thing.

Also wtf a Simian mobile disco remix of copy of a?! Holy poo poo.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Apparently it does work on computers, it's just currently hosed due to the initial surge of users.
Also, this:

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Wow thats some Hot Topic artwork. Confirming the Satellite remix is good. Do yourself a favor and don't listen to Everything.

Beats is pretty ok actually.

magiccarpet fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 21, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Man, remember when the Grammys were "old media propping up their puppets trying to convince the outside world (and each other) they're relevant" and record labels were antiquated dinosaurs and Jimmy Iovine was the idiot who wanted him to make an "urban" album and everything seemed so fresh and the world seemed so big?

Me neither...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm already gonna be watching them for Daft Punk's performance with Stevie Wonder, so hell yeah, this is awesome. I loved Mantra so I'll be satisfied if they play that or something else.

ballgameover.mp3 posted:

Well, there's this new NIN remix EP: https://twitter.com/nineinchnails/status/425681999047561216

Which I can't get, because none of my mobile devices are compatible with the Beats Music app, which awesomely can only be installed on mobile devices, and not on computers at all.
Aw man, Beats is a pay service? :( I signed up for the 7 day free trial to test it out. Apparently I could get 3 months for free because I'm an AT&T member but then I'd automatically get charged $15/month for it after the 3 months is up, which is stupid. So I guess I'll only be using this thing for a week.

The remix album wasn't impressive at all. None of them improve on the originals at all. Hot Chip remix of Satellite just goes on and on for such a long time and feels like it never goes anywhere. Cold Cave remix of Running was...okay. Simian Mobile Disco remix of Copy Of A was boring as gently caress and bore no resemblance to the original song at all. The Autolux remix of Everything was loving hilariously bad at times but it was probably the most interesting one out of all of them too.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Simian mobile disco remix is a chill jam. I also liked the cold cave remix. Hot chip's was ok at best but yeah seriously just never listen to that autolux remix ever. Holy gently caress it's so bad.

quote:

Aw man, Beats is a pay service? I signed up for the 7 day free trial to test it out. Apparently I could get 3 months for free because I'm an AT&T member but then I'd automatically get charged $15/month for it after the 3 months is up, which is stupid. So I guess I'll only be using this thing for a week.

????? What did you expect it was going to be? All the music streaming apps cost money on mobile even spotify. Soundcloud is one of the only free ones but there really isn't a huge selection or back catalogue on there.

I'm so far enjoying the app, a little bit more than spotify as well. I might bite the bullet and subscribe after the trial ends.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 21, 2014

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
Copy of a and Running remixes were pretty sweet. Everything remix is :laffo:

Sai-kun fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 21, 2014

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

ballgameover.mp3 posted:

The website, while it has its own problems, is perfectly capable of playing the EP.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Call Me Charlie posted:

Man, remember when the Grammys were "old media propping up their puppets trying to convince the outside world (and each other) they're relevant" and record labels were antiquated dinosaurs and Jimmy Iovine was the idiot who wanted him to make an "urban" album and everything seemed so fresh and the world seemed so big?

Me neither...

https://twitter.com/trent_reznor/status/425679649067114496

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008

LoudLoudNoise posted:

The website, while it has its own problems, is perfectly capable of playing the EP.

yeah, i guess it's just overloaded first day. All I get is a blank screen with {"status":"OK"} on it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

????? What did you expect it was going to be? All the music streaming apps cost money on mobile even spotify. Soundcloud is one of the only free ones but there really isn't a huge selection or back catalogue on there.

Spotify has a free mobile version now. It's a bit gimped but if you make playlists on your pc it works p. well.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm so far enjoying the app, a little bit more than spotify as well. I might bite the bullet and subscribe after the trial ends.
Pandora doesn't. Jango doesn't. DI.fm doesn't. iTunes Radio doesn't. Those are the only ones I've used in recent years. Well, I tried Spotify a few years ago and didn't like it so I never used it again.

At least a couple of those are major streaming apps and they don't cost to use. They have premium options that cost money, yes, but you don't have to pay a monthly fee to use the basic features.

And SoundCloud isn't an internet radio app. It doesn't have the same feature set as some of those other services, unless it does now and I somehow missed it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, the site that broke it to me also pointed out that Trent deleted that message on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/antiquiet/status/425680703301238784

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
To be fair his grammys comment reads like a tagline sticker on the cover of Hesitation Marks

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Honestly it's kind of embarrassing how hard he's walked back the stuff he said a couple years ago.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I'll get you next time Gadget - next time!

TOOT BOOT posted:

Honestly it's kind of embarrassing how hard he's walked back the stuff he said a couple years ago.

Eh, he gets to play on the Grammies and presumably get money for it, and it might be some sort of backroom "you play this show and we give your album an award" sort of deal. I know he also signed to a label after being anti-label for the longest time, so I might just be full of poo poo.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TOOT BOOT posted:

If I could erase dumb poo poo I said in the past in the light of new experiences and information, I would too. It's unreasonable to expect ones attitude to remain the same for their entire life and you're a childish poo poo slinger if you think this is some kind of "gotcha" moment.
It's one thing to flip flop on a current issue, but he said that what... 3 years ago? Give me a break.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

obeyasia posted:

It's one thing to flip flop on a current issue,

agreed..I think this is getting a little erratic here. I guess he had to adjust.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

IUG posted:

Yeah, the site that broke it to me also pointed out that Trent deleted that message on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/antiquiet/status/425680703301238784

Was that before or after both he and Mariqueen shut down their accounts and stayed out of social media for a bit?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Pandora doesn't. Jango doesn't. DI.fm doesn't. iTunes Radio doesn't. Those are the only ones I've used in recent years. Well, I tried Spotify a few years ago and didn't like it so I never used it again.

At least a couple of those are major streaming apps and they don't cost to use. They have premium options that cost money, yes, but you don't have to pay a monthly fee to use the basic features.

And SoundCloud isn't an internet radio app. It doesn't have the same feature set as some of those other services, unless it does now and I somehow missed it.

The thing about the free versions of those apps is just the radio. Which I guess is alright but paying for it is worth it imo to have full albums on the go.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The thing about the free versions of those apps is just the radio. Which I guess is alright but paying for it is worth it imo to have full albums on the go.
Oh, I thought radio is what we were talking about :v:

If I want full albums on the go, I'll listen to my iPod. While it would be pretty cool to have lots of full albums available to stream on my iPhone, I don't think it's cool enough to pay every month for that when I have a solution for that already that works perfectly fine for me and doesn't cost me a monthly fee.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Oh, I thought radio is what we were talking about :v:

If I want full albums on the go, I'll listen to my iPod. While it would be pretty cool to have lots of full albums available to stream on my iPhone, I don't think it's cool enough to pay every month for that when I have a solution for that already that works perfectly fine for me and doesn't cost me a monthly fee.

If you're obtaining new music every month/week/day/whatever, you're going to be paying money, unless you're just pirating it all. The difference is whether obtaining a small amount of music permanently or a large amount of music temporarily is the preferable option for $x/mo.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

sleepwalkers posted:

If you're obtaining new music every month/week/day/whatever, you're going to be paying money, unless you're just pirating it all. The difference is whether obtaining a small amount of music permanently or a large amount of music temporarily is the preferable option for $x/mo.
Yeah, that's what I meant. I'd rather just pay for music and have it on my iPod forever (or until I get tired of it and don't want it on there anymore) than have to pay for music and pay monthly to have it available to stream to my phone. Though if I was paying a monthly fee, I probably wouldn't be buying music anymore, and I like that too much to ever give it up and go the other way with it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I stopped buying music (and pirating it) and just like having the thing I want to listen to whenever I want. Its very convenient. I understand that people don't want to pay monthly but I think its really appealing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I suppose it would be a lot more appealing to me if, say, I was on the road all the time for work and had an AUX input jack in my car/truck and I didn't have the time to buy music and put it on my iPod. Then it would come in super handy. But for the situation I'm in now, I'd rather just hang onto my iPod.