Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
An absolutely no-grind run of Hard is easily on par with Eliwood Hard or PoR Hard up until about Chapter 14, then it starts slowly falling apart up until about Chapter 20 where it spikes back up.

Unless you just 'solo' it with Chrom + Avatar, like I did for the last six chapters because the map design was too boring and my other units kept getting themselves killed like idiots. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
A no-grind run is perfectly doable and is pretty much the only way I play now :v:

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

theshim posted:

A no-grind run is perfectly doable and is pretty much the only way I play now :v:

I thought about doing that, but how's a bro supposed to level up the kids though?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's actually really easy. They have great stats for their level, and they level up super fast. I've never had any problems leveling them.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

theshim posted:

I meant to do one of those but I realized that since I was playing as the female avatar and got Chrom married to the maiden that I'd be able to marry off everyone, so I just did that instead.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

theshim posted:

Well, I'm kinda poo poo so I tend to get beat the first arc properly (up to Chapter 12), then grind for a fair bit so that the kids I want to recruit are good enough for me to train.

I have never used Brady for this reason. Maribelle Galeforce :argh:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

neongrey posted:

This is true, but the difficulty in FFT is a lot less explicitly chained to scarcity (be it of XP, items, other resources, whatever). Tightly limiting what you have access to and how you can access it is pretty much the soul of challenge in FE games and once you remove scarcity all the difficulty dribbles out. It's not coincidental that when I bring that fact up, people's objections hinge on methods of re-introducing scarcity.

e: So like yes, you can re-introduce scarcity into the game, and it will make the game more difficult. But you have to self-impose that scarcity to a large extent, and I don't think that's to the game's credit.

I think some of the DLC did a pretty good job at being hard in and of itself, which I liked.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
My awakening main team is around level 5 on their promoted classes with a few that are a bit higher. They are still running into some difficulty on the chapter where there is lava everywhere. Is this around the right level for the chapter? How can I make Miriel more effective, since I have a feeling she'll be needed in the chapters ahead and she is only one Sage.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Generally you want two healers in an FE game - a main one, and one to pinch heal when things get hectic. In most cases you want to raise somebody who starts as a healer (Lissa, Maribelle) and keep them as a general staff-user, and then someone like Miriel or Ricken (or Gaius if you promote him to Trickster, or Sumia or Cordelia if you promote them to Falcoknight) can act as a pinch healer.

That said, so long as they can use staves, anyone can accomplish either role. And Miriel can't be reclasses to Cleric for Healtouch, so there's no real way to make her any better than she is at healing besides plain levels, same as anyone else.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 22, 2014

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Anatharon posted:

I think some of the DLC did a pretty good job at being hard in and of itself, which I liked.

Yeah some of that, and the first few maps are pretty much my favourite parts of the game. I think that's a lot of my frustration with Awakening-- when it's good, it's really good. When it's not, it's dull as dishwater.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Endorph posted:

Generally you want two healers in an FE game - a main one, and one to pinch heal when things get hectic. In most cases you want to raise somebody who starts as a healer (Lissa, Maribelle) and keep them as a general staff-user, and then someone like Miriel or Ricken (or Gaius if you promote him to Trickster, or Sumia or Cordelia if you promote them to Falcoknight) can act as a pinch healer.

That said, so long as they can use staves, anyone can accomplish either role. And Miriel can't be reclasses to Cleric for Healtouch, so there's no real way to make her any better than she is at healing besides plain levels, same as anyone else.

drat. If I manage to get Galeforce on Lissa then I might reclass her back into Cleric -> War Cleric then. That would take forever and I don't know if I have the time to. She's only level 5 on Dark Flier. At the same time there's no one else really capable of healing on my main team. I could use Sumia but that would also require her to reclass back down to Pegasus Knight and then to Falcoknight....

I might do that for Sumia though. Her lack of Magic stats means that she isn't much good for offensive magic and so adding on some emergency healing in the meantime would be good for her, I think. Anyone have opinions on this plan? My Ricken is currently a Dark Knight and is currently level 5 so I figure he should stay there. Plus I paired him up with Lissa and some extra HP from the DK class would be good for the class, particularly if there are archers/snipers about. I don't use anyone else mentioned in the above list.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 22, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, that'd take tons of grinding. If you don't have anyone else capable of healing, Laurent (Miriel's kid) starts as a mage, so you could grab him and promote him to sage? Likewise, Brady (Maribelle's kid) starts as a priest.

You could also just buy vulneraries if lack of healing is really a problem for you, or take advantage of the fact that switching is a semi-free action (you can move, switch, then attack, at least if I remember right, so you could switch someone who's weakened out for the fresh back half of the pair-up.)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Artificer posted:

drat. If I manage to get Galeforce on Lissa then I might reclass her back into Cleric -> War Cleric then. That would take forever and I don't know if I have the time to. She's only level 5 on Dark Flier. At the same time there's no one else really capable of healing on my main team. I could use Sumia but that would also require her to reclass back down to Pegasus Knight and then to Falcoknight....

I might do that for Sumia though. Her lack of Magic stats means that she isn't much good for offensive magic and so adding on some emergency healing in the meantime would be good for her, I think. Anyone have opinions on this plan? My Ricken is currently a Dark Knight and is currently level 5 so I figure he should stay there. Plus I paired him up with Lissa and some extra HP from the DK class would be good for the class, particularly if there are archers/snipers about. I don't use anyone else mentioned in the above list.

Once you get to level 10 in a promoted class you can go straight to another one with a Second Seal.

Lissa would be able to go right to Sage or War Cleric.

Also, Anna and Libra both should have decentish bases and both have staff ranks at least if you want to bust out one of them.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Libra exists.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Endorph posted:

Well, that'd take tons of grinding. If you don't have anyone else capable of healing, Laurent (Miriel's kid) starts as a mage, so you could grab him and promote him to sage? Likewise, Brady (Maribelle's kid) starts as a priest.

You could also just buy vulneraries if lack of healing is really a problem for you, or take advantage of the fact that switching is a semi-free action (you can move, switch, then attack, at least if I remember right, so you could switch someone who's weakened out for the fresh back half of the pair-up.)

Yeah, I've been doing the wounded shuffle in a pinch for when Miriel gets strained. Sully gets hurt, then Vaike takes her place at the front of the pair, etc. etc. I don't particularly care to grind so I may just go ahead and hope that Miriel will be good enough for now. There's a staff that offers ranged healing right? With Miriel's sky-high Magic stat, she should be able to be much more effective with it and will cover for my team's lack of multiple healing capabilities. Would help keep the only healer out of danger if things get hectic too. All she needs is to spend some time healing to get her staff skill up and her Magic stat should take care of the rest...

Another question: should I start giving my units steel weapons as standard issue? Or silver? I've stayed with iron thus far...

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Artificer posted:

Yeah, I've been doing the wounded shuffle in a pinch for when Miriel gets strained. Sully gets hurt, then Vaike takes her place at the front of the pair, etc. etc. I don't particularly care to grind so I may just go ahead and hope that Miriel will be good enough for now. There's a staff that offers ranged healing right? With Miriel's sky-high Magic stat, she should be able to be much more effective with it and will cover for my team's lack of multiple healing capabilities. Would help keep the only healer out of danger if things get hectic too. All she needs is to spend some time healing to get her staff skill up and her Magic stat should take care of the rest...

Another question: should I start giving my units steel weapons as standard issue? Or silver? I've stayed with iron thus far...

Weight's a nonissue and you'll usually have enough skill that standard-issuing Steel works. I'd save stuff like Silver and Brave weapons for either your best units or Armsthrift users though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Artificer posted:

Yeah, if your units aren't using at least Steel/EL-magic by now that could be a big part of your problem. The increase in damage, and ability to one round opponents, is pretty huge and you might be taking too many hits. Likewise you should be passing out all the E-C rank special weapons you get from sparkle spots like candy if you're hording them, most of them are dramatically inferior to Silver/Brave weapons so you might as well use them while they're useful.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Artificer posted:

Definitely. Once you get past the early game, you should be using steel like candy and using Silver or other special weapons for most threatening enemies. Iron should only be used if you can kill an enemy with it and aren't likely to be attacked during the enemy's turn.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Anatharon posted:

Weight's a nonissue and you'll usually have enough skill that standard-issuing Steel works. I'd save stuff like Silver and Brave weapons for either your best units or Armsthrift users though.

Zore posted:

Yeah, if your units aren't using at least Steel/EL-magic by now that could be a big part of your problem. The increase in damage, and ability to one round opponents, is pretty huge and you might be taking too many hits. Likewise you should be passing out all the E-C rank special weapons you get from sparkle spots like candy if you're hording them, most of them are dramatically inferior to Silver/Brave weapons so you might as well use them while they're useful.

Oh. Hahah. Hahaha. Okay. I figure that would help a lot. Turns out my RPG obsession with conserving my resources is once again biting me on the rear end. Who would have guessed?

Zore posted:

Once you get to level 10 in a promoted class you can go straight to another one with a Second Seal.

Lissa would be able to go right to Sage or War Cleric.

Also, Anna and Libra both should have decentish bases and both have staff ranks at least if you want to bust out one of them.

Lissa going straight to War Cleric or Sage sounds like a good plan. I didn't know that was actually possible. Thanks! Miriel is already a Sage and I'm wondering how well Lissa would do with Axes? I wouldn't expect her to have very good strength and she will be at E-level for axes..... Having two Sages would probably work fine too though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, being in War Cleric increases both her base strength and her strength growth, so it should at least be passable.

And seriously, gently caress 'preserving resources.' You should have plenty of gold, and you buy tons of strong weapons in this game for cheap. Spend all the gold you have on better equipment for your army. Make sure every axe or spear user in your army has a Hand Axe or Javelin as well, since those can be fairly useful and they're cheap.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

As far as I'm aware the only important limited resource in Awakening are the better throwing weapons - you can't buy Short Axes and Spears until the post-game when you beat Priam, and as far as I can tell you can't buy Tomahawks or Spears except from Anna spawns.

Obviously without DLC the list gets a lot longer due to not having Infinite Regalia but only an idiotwouldn't buy the Golden Pack when they bought Apotheosis. :argh:

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

ungulateman posted:

As far as I'm aware the only important limited resource in Awakening are the better throwing weapons - you can't buy Short Axes and Spears until the post-game when you beat Priam, and as far as I can tell you can't buy Tomahawks or Spears except from Anna spawns.

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure you can buy those from Spotpass teams if you're willing to use them. Forget which ones, but someone here will probably know it.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Boneless Jogger posted:

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure you can buy those from Spotpass teams if you're willing to use them. Forget which ones, but someone here will probably know it.

A handy list is right here. Items you canNOT obtain in this matter include Aversa's Night and Shocksticks, though the latter is a peculiar weapon in general due to the fact that it still has 1 range, compared to Levin Sword and Bolt Axe which have 1-2.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Oh excellent, chapter three has archers who will overkill my poor pegasus knight. I thought hard mode would be normal, but apparently I was mistaken. I'm not opposed to the challenge mind you, but seeing 22 damage to my 18 HP unit is vicious.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well, what do you expect when an archer is attacking a peg knight in the early game?

Not to mention you can just pair up Frederick and Sumia and she'll get like 5 defense out of the deal.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

HiKaizer posted:

Oh excellent, chapter three has archers who will overkill my poor pegasus knight. I thought hard mode would be normal, but apparently I was mistaken. I'm not opposed to the challenge mind you, but seeing 22 damage to my 18 HP unit is vicious.

Use X to see all enemy attack ranges and park Sumia just outside their attack range. Then pair her up with Frederick/Kellam/Stahl/Vaike, fly in and use your superior speed to double and kill the archer.

Being able to see enemies' attack range is an invaluable tool in this game.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Yeah, Hard on Awakening might not be especially brutal by Fire Emblem's standards, but it's still, well, hard.

'Normal' is the biggest misnomer, though. :v:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

HiKaizer posted:

How does that differ from any other FE, like, ever?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm attempting to get through Binding Blade again at the moment. It's hard to deal with the fact that Roy and (almost) everyone else sucks sometimes :sigh:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Volt Catfish posted:

I'm attempting to get through Binding Blade again at the moment. It's hard to deal with the fact that Roy and (almost) everyone else sucks sometimes :sigh:

FE6 has plenty of powerful, useful units. Not the games fault you've been spoiled by hand holding.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Volt Catfish posted:

At least you're not on Hard. :shepicide: And the game gets easier once enemies upgrade to Steel weapons, since enemies become slower/less accurate to some degree and you start getting the rest of the good units like Shin and Gonzales.

Onmi posted:

FE6 has plenty of powerful, useful units. Not the games fault you've been spoiled by hand holding.

I don't think he's seriously complaining.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Onmi posted:

Not really? The only ones that come to mind are Alan, Lance, Dieck and Rutger, Shin and whoever the Dancer is again (also Perceval and that Wyvern Rider on Hard but gently caress FE6 Hard). The others vary from crap (Roy, Sophia, Gonzales on Route B) to 'good enough' (Lilina, Gonzales on Route A, Ray, Lugh, etc).

Then again, the main issue I take with your statement is 'spoiled by hand holding' rather than 'FE6 units don't suck'. I personally like Awakening's philosophy of 'everyone has good growths except Ricken, gently caress Ricken', but even compared to other less generous FEs FE6 is pretty stingy in terms of useful units.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

ungulateman posted:

Then again, the main issue I take with your statement is 'spoiled by hand holding' rather than 'FE6 units don't suck'. I personally like Awakening's philosophy of 'everyone has good growths except Ricken, gently caress Ricken', but even compared to other less generous FEs FE6 is pretty stingy in terms of useful units.

While I don't dislike the idea of every unit being useful (and I absolutely agree with 'gently caress Ricken'), I prefer it be because of their immediately abilities and not just growths. Guys like Zealot for instance have their place as someone decently strong for a short while.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ungulateman posted:

Not really? The only ones that come to mind are Alan, Lance, Dieck and Rutger, Shin and whoever the Dancer is again (also Perceval and that Wyvern Rider on Hard but gently caress FE6 Hard). The others vary from crap (Roy, Sophia, Gonzales on Route B) to 'good enough' (Lilina, Gonzales on Route A, Ray, Lugh, etc).

Yes really. Very good units are Alance, Dieck, Rutger, Shin, Clarine, Percy, Miledy on either mode, Tate, Saul, your refresher, Ellen, Niime, Gonzales, Echidna, Klein. With you remaining ones being "Alright" such as Fir, Lot, Lugh, Bartre, Garret, Ray, Igrene, Fa, Noah, Zeiss, Geese and Sue. Karel obviously not considered because he comes so bloody late. So yes you have plenty of choice, You can never fault FE6 on the fact it gives you a wide variety of units.

And if your struggling for units in the early-mid game Marcus and Zealot make excellent stop-gaps if temporary.

I call you hand holded because you have been. You've been taught to play games where the enemies are ridiculously pathetic and the player units are all greek gods oiled up for the pillaging. If you can handle Hector Hard you can handle FE6 hard so I find it hilarious that's your "gently caress you" point. Because with the outlier chapters of 11A and 14, Hard Mode is not that much worse than normal, especially since your EXP isn't reduced. And this isn't your fault you've been handheld because the majority of FE games past 6 have been kind of really easy to the point of auto-pilot.

Last Celebration posted:

At least you're not on Hard. :shepicide: And the game gets easier once enemies upgrade to Steel weapons, since enemies become slower/less accurate to some degree and you start getting the rest of the good units like Shin and Gonzales.

I don't think he's seriously complaining.

Doesn't mean I can't tease him.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Yeah I'm not -actually- complaining. It's just notable snap back after playing Awakening for hundreds of hours.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Volt Catfish posted:

Yeah I'm not -actually- complaining. It's just notable snap back after playing Awakening for hundreds of hours.

Well of course that's like going from a light massage with nice scented candles to the big burly austrian man who believes that "Relaxation" can also mean "So much pain that pain loses definition"

At least you can't steal in FE6, because if you could steal/capture units I would be compelled to do so... I can never go back to FE5...

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Onmi posted:

I call you hand holded because you have been. You've been taught to play games where the enemies are ridiculously pathetic and the player units are all greek gods oiled up for the pillaging. If you can handle Hector Hard you can handle FE6 hard so I find it hilarious that's your "gently caress you" point. Because with the outlier chapters of 11A and 14, Hard Mode is not that much worse than normal, especially since your EXP isn't reduced. And this isn't your fault you've been handheld because the majority of FE games past 6 have been kind of really easy to the point of auto-pilot.

I guess it's just my experience, because FE6 already had pretty decent enemies relative to your own units and was pretty smart about stuff like giving weaker units like archers higher levels and soldiers steel lances early, which makes the stat boosts on top of that pretty brutal. I'm only up to 13x on Hector Hard Mode, but it's not outright brutal like FE6 Hard was.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I started a new game of Awakening and Miriel has gained no points in Magic for 5 levels. :shepicide:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Onmi posted:

Units to actually being competent at their roles in a Strategy Game: Hand holding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Dr Pepper posted:

Units to actually being competent at their roles in a Strategy Game: Hand holding.

Competency doesn't mean capping everything either. Ever since FE8, growths have been steadily increasing across the board to the point where if you're not seeing 4-5 stats per level at minimum, that's a bad level. FE6 has much lower stats across the board, but it gives you a meaningful choice in terms of units because of how they specialize. Lilina has a magic growth that Awakening would be proud of, but she's probably not going to double and she's about as durable as a wet paper towel. If you don't like that, you can use Lugh who trades down to a 40% magic growth (which is still perfectly acceptable) and gets a 50% speed growth for added consistency. Both of them are perfectly fine units who you could take to endgame.

Yes, Sword of Seals is harder than most of the modern games. Yes, part of that is due to the lower growths and stats. But between its numerous prepromos and class options (seriously, there are something like three available options for almost every single class in the game), you should never be hurting for someone "competent".