Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
That would certainly put a cap on your day. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Looks like Cat used that model number for a few different dozers over the years but I think that thing weighs either 36,000 lbs or 42,000 lbs :stonk:

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Ah, the infamous Bagger 288/Cat D8R battle.

For reference, a D8R weighs about 83,000lbs, ten feet wide and 11.5 tall. The blade is about 13 feet, or four meters wide.

Galler, I'm pretty sure that's a D8, not a D6. Frankly, I'm surprised that they have something as small as an 8 working in that mine. Must be a clean up dozer.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Used Sunlight sales posted:

Must be a clean up dozer.

It certainly got cleaned up.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

CommieGIR posted:

That isn't how your supposed to lift the solid end anyways, you are supposed to put them under the axle, that isn't even being lifted properly.

This is true which is the reason I was so pissed. The jacks wouldnt go back that far. The end of the rack is right at the tires.

Fucknag posted:

Oh absolutely. I mean, the spring mount probably isn't going to have trouble supporting 1/4 the truck's weight (that's what it's designed to do, after all) but it's still sketchy as hell. All I can think is that lift must have stops in it to prevent the jack going all the way to the end.

Truck only had to be up long enough to calibrate the heads, so I wasnt ever really under it except setting up the rack iteself which was sketch as gently caress because as the truck sat backwards on all the extensions, (I had to borrow from other racks) it started rolling in sudden jerks forward. Basically i just sat on my rear end well below the actual ramps.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 21, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

"Sorry, didn't see you there mate."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They have a dozer that small as a blood offering to the savage excavator god. They periodically feed The Great One smaller machinery as a means of temporarily satiating his unquenchable thirst for oil and steel.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Hexyflexy fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 23, 2018

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
You would have the pleasure of reading emails like this:

"We have again misplaced a 40 ton loader somewhere on the property, if you find it please notify Billy, the equipment manager of it's location and condition so we can put it back in service. Be sure to check out your equipment on the sign out board when you use it."

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Guy is doing a shakedown run on his car. Puts a few miles on it and decides to run it up to 7,000rpms.

More photos: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/maintenance-repairs/474740-exploding-flywheel.html

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Bet it was a lovely flywheel, that happened to a friend of mine recently, posted the pics in this thread. He lost his motor, transmission, wiring harness, throttle pedal, a tire, exhaust, severely damaged the trans tunnel, firewall, and frame. That was around 6 months ago and he is still repairing the damage and buying parts. A chunk of the flywheel destroyed the DBW pedal assembly while he had it floored, wearing tennis shoes. He walked away without a scratch.

Buy quality clutch components, scattershields/blowproof bellhousings, etc if you value your vehicle and feet.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Not at all carnage or anything like the last page but I figured you guys should know that doing a cabin filter on a nissan rogue involves pulling the pedal assembly.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

13 INCH DICK posted:

Not at all carnage or anything like the last page but I figured you guys should know that doing a cabin filter on a nissan rogue involves pulling the pedal assembly.

What? Replacing the filter, or, uh, like the whole filter housing or something? If you're replacing just the filter itself and you pulled the pedals, then :drat:, you went in from the wrong side. :v:

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

kastein posted:

throttle pedal

Jesus

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Splizwarf posted:

What? Replacing the filter, or, uh, like the whole filter housing or something? If you're replacing just the filter itself and you pulled the pedals, then :drat:, you went in from the wrong side. :v:

Yeah no 2011 Rogue has the door on the backside of the throttle pedal. This was after I stripped the glovebox out and couldnt find it so I had to pull up Mitchell to tell me where the gently caress it was.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

13 INCH DICK posted:

Yeah no 2011 Rogue has the door on the backside of the throttle pedal. This was after I stripped the glovebox out and couldnt find it so I had to pull up Mitchell to tell me where the gently caress it was.

Weird. I do bitch work on Nissans all day and offhand I don't remember anything without the door on the right below the glovebox.

I want to ask if maybe it's just the 2011, bit there's only really one version until like a couple weeks ago when the (turd-ugly) 2014s started to show up; now you have me wondering if we just never do cabins on Rogues. :v:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
I arrived at work this morning to find this disabled Toyota Solara Convertible waiting for me in the parking lot.

Due to the schedule today, we couldn't get it towed into the shop until after hours. But I was able to get a few pics of at least some of the carnage before leaving it to thaw out overnight.

It's hard to see from this angle, but in addition to the failed ball joint, the control arm is bent pretty badly as well.

And after incidentally clearing some of the snow out of the wheel, something else caught my attention:

Well :stare:

I'll get a few more pics of the rest of the damage tomorrow, when there's way less of a chance of taking a icy snow shower in the process.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Root Bear posted:

I'll get a few more pics of the rest of the damage tomorrow, when there's way less of a chance of taking a icy snow shower in the process.

Come on! You can't tell me there is anything better than having a big chunk of dirty slush go right down the back of your neck (god I am so glad I don't live anywhere near snow anymore)!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That rotor is very impressive, even by the standards of this thread.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I bet this car went sideways into a curb, the ball-joint failed and the control arm smashed into the rotor killing both in one blow.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Slavvy posted:

Customer requests alignment (front end only) + investigate clicking noise from front right corner

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Bugdrvr posted:

Come on! You can't tell me there is anything better than having a big chunk of dirty slush go right down the back of your neck (god I am so glad I don't live anywhere near snow anymore)!

The only job I ever walked out of was being a mechanic during the winter. gently caress that so hard

No. 6 posted:

I bet this car went sideways into a curb, the ball-joint failed and the control arm smashed into the rotor killing both in one blow.

Judging by the rim being badly curbed right where the rotor is broken, yea, you're probably right.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
All right, I'm officially sick of this cold weather. On Friday the IAC on the 244 failed wide open, probably hurried along by it being 15f that morning, and just now the drivers door latch on the Corolla broke when I opened it to get in because it's 0f outside. Felt a *pop* when I pulled the handle and when I tried to close the door it just bounced right back at me. :sigh:

Good news is that yesterday the school was closed due to weather (meaning I got paid double-time for being there) so missing today won't hurt.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

13 INCH DICK posted:

When the Volvo P1 platform (C30/S40/V50) cars came out, the Volvo shop manual said you had to do this as well. After a couple of years they changed it to "you can wiggle it out without removing anything", which made mechanics all over the world cry since it took away a 45 book minute job that in reality took 5 minutes.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Posted this in the terrible thread but then realized it belongs here, too.

Link

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

Slavvy posted:

Does this qualify?

From an Audi A4. The caliper jammed on, then ripped a chunk out of the disc before being rolled around inside of the wheel a few times. It was an absolute mess.

Sorry about the potato-phone quality. :v:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Bugdrvr posted:

I was more worried about my phone, actually :v:

chrisgt posted:

The only job I ever walked out of was being a mechanic during the winter. gently caress that so hard

I've been doing it for over 13 years now and it really never gets any easier, I just have to remind myself that I have bills to pay and nobody else is going to do this poo poo for me. :smithicide:

No. 6 posted:

Slavvy posted:

Nobody ever thinks of the poor backing plate that was stuck in the middle of it all... :(

And some better shots of the control arm/ball joint damage:

In addition to needing a knuckle, control arm, and brake rotor, the CV axle was also pulled apart as well as the brake hose and the wires for the wheel speed sensor. I'm amazed that the wheel survived with only a minor bend on the inside lip and some scrapes and scuffs.

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Does this qualify?

From an Audi A4. The caliper jammed on, then ripped a chunk out of the disc before being rolled around inside of the wheel a few times. It was an absolute mess.

Sorry about the potato-phone quality. :v:

I've seen my share of stuck calipers, but never that stuck! :stonk:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 23, 2014

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Found on another forum:

This is on a fueling truck at an airport. 1,000s of gallons of jet fuel riding on that.

Looks to me from the rust like leaves 1,2, and 4 have been broken for a while and the extra strain caused the rest to go all at once. What did that have to sound like? Assuming you could hear it over jets taxiing. Let's hope the guys in the motor pool aren't also inspecting the planes.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Kill-9 posted:

Found on another forum:

This is on a fueling truck at an airport. 1,000s of gallons of jet fuel riding on that.

Looks to me from the rust like leaves 1,2, and 4 have been broken for a while and the extra strain caused the rest to go all at once. What did that have to sound like? Assuming you could hear it over jets taxiing. Let's hope the guys in the motor pool aren't also inspecting the planes.

I'm pretty sure I have never seen a fuel truck at an FBO that wasn't from the Carter administration.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Quality restoration there.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Restored with WHAT? Pre-rusted ill-fitting panels? Bondo applied via the old 'dip a broom in a bucket of the stuff' method?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

They figured out why the stock fuel filter location is so terrible during the test drive?

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

some texas redneck posted:

They figured out why the stock fuel filter location is so terrible during the test drive?

Either that or the brass fuel inlet pulled loose from the carb.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

thelightguy posted:

Quality restoration there.

Ah yes. The classic "fire restoration". Quick as hell, but leaves a bit to be desired.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Ah yes. The classic "fire restoration". Quick as hell, but leaves a bit to be desired.

Man, you just don't know. Restorations are expensive and 75 cents wasn't in the budget for replacing the rubber grommet that protects the fuel line where it passes through the firewall (and within inches of a toasty exhaust manifold).

(which is how most type 1's died by fire)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So far, so good...

:shepicide:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Is that all the poo poo that didn't fit in the engine compartment?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I see the problem, someone appears to have installed the steering column on the wrong side of the vehicle :v:

One of the guys on NAXJA managed to blow up a Ford 8.8" rearend. Not sure how, will update when I get the story:

You know it is a bad sign when the holes are punched in the cover from the inside. :unsmigghh:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kastein posted:

I see the problem, someone appears to have installed the steering column on the wrong side of the vehicle :v:

One of the guys on NAXJA managed to blow up a Ford 8.8" rearend. Not sure how, will update when I get the story:

You know it is a bad sign when the holes are punched in the cover from the inside. :unsmigghh:

It looks like, something was trying to get out :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?