Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

KilGrey posted:

What made you think this?

There's always going to be that one person who swears they knew something they couldn't have.

I, for one, knew it was Keyser Soze the whole time. It was pretty obvious really.

Midnight City fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Tupping Liberty posted:

Every revelation in the last 15 minutes of the show I was just saying "oh poo poo. oh poo poo! OH poo poo!" to. Glorious, Sleepy Hollow, glorious.

As a bonus, tomorrow I'm teaching about the actual Sleepy Hollow to my 7th and 8th graders for early American history. I am curious to see if their knowledge of it will be as tainted by this as the Civil War has been tainted by Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.

Why teach them anything when you could just show them the pilot and get them all hooked?

And one thing that I didn't quite understand is why Jeremy would be at all pissed off at Ichabod. I get why he would hate Katrina due to feeling abandoned, but Ichabod was "dead" before he was even born. It's not like there was something Ichabod could have to done to be there for his son and then chose not to.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Jingleheimer posted:

And one thing that I didn't quite understand is why Jeremy would be at all pissed off at Ichabod. I get why he would hate Katrina due to feeling abandoned, but Ichabod was "dead" before he was even born. It's not like there was something Ichabod could have to done to be there for his son and then chose not to.

Moloch's lies, as Ichabod said.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hollylolly posted:

I have a feeling that Irving isn't really in jail right now (he was moved off screen by...?) and maybe his former captain or whoever that guy was will end up being a Freemason. They are right now gathering the forces of good or something. :D

One thing that was kind of left out there: remember when Irving found out Ichabod was lying about being a (modern) professor at Oxford and let it slide and we all thought that maybe Frank knew more than he was letting on? They never really explained that.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Rebellious senior citizen son, Jeremy Crane (maybe he's also bitter because his parents get to look hot and he has to have wrinkles, but now he's War, so he gets bitchin' armor).

Original link.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

zoux posted:

One thing that was kind of left out there: remember when Irving found out Ichabod was lying about being a (modern) professor at Oxford and let it slide and we all thought that maybe Frank knew more than he was letting on? They never really explained that.

They also never explained the phone call Morales got about Ichabod being a professor at Oxford or whatever.
Possible witch coven still in Britain perhaps?*
*Probably not, it may never be explained. Hopefully though, this is one time when writers listen to the fans and catch the hanging thread

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Midnight City posted:

I, for one, knew it was Keyser Soze the whole time.

Actually, I did know who Keyser Soze was the entire time, but that's because The Usual Suspects had been well and truly spoiled for well over a decade before I finally watched it. Same with Fight Club.

:v:

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Midnight City posted:

I, for one, knew it was Keyser Soze the whole time. It was pretty obvious really.

To be fair, yeah it kinda was.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
I love that the Horseman contracted his revenge out to Jeremy when he couldn't figure out how to get Katrina himself.

Irwin confessed to the murder because that's what accusing his daughter was meant to compel him to do. The cops were like, "Well, if it wasn't you, and it wasn't that other cop who got knocked out, then it must have been your daughter. Guess we better book her, unless there's something you'd like to tell us..." Its the only thing he thinks he can do to get them to leave her alone.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Postal Parcel posted:

They also never explained the phone call Morales got about Ichabod being a professor at Oxford or whatever.
Possible witch coven still in Britain perhaps?*
*Probably not, it may never be explained. Hopefully though, this is one time when writers listen to the fans and catch the hanging thread

I think there was a line by Irving saying he set up some stuff for Ichabod's cover identity as a 'historical consultant' or whatever. So he must have set that up, then Morales called them.

I'm in the camp of people who saw Henry as some sort of vaguely not as good as he could be guy but I really didn't expect them to bring up Jeremy again this season in such a big way. I thought he was just like, possessed when he touched that cursed bead necklace and was going to start playing the long game.

Only scene I didn't like was the fight with those demon puddy guys at that one grave. The 'fighting' looked just kinda crappy and half-assed. Some of the other effects were really cool, like the doorway to purgatory or some of the weird stuff in there.

I find it refreshing to see ALL of the main characters in trouble. When there's one hero character left standing it's pretty obvious they're just going to go around showing up in time to save everyone.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
That one hero character will be Yolanda.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Metropolis posted:

I think there was a line by Irving saying he set up some stuff for Ichabod's cover identity as a 'historical consultant' or whatever. So he must have set that up, then Morales called them.

I'm in the camp of people who saw Henry as some sort of vaguely not as good as he could be guy but I really didn't expect them to bring up Jeremy again this season in such a big way. I thought he was just like, possessed when he touched that cursed bead necklace and was going to start playing the long game.

Only scene I didn't like was the fight with those demon puddy guys at that one grave. The 'fighting' looked just kinda crappy and half-assed. Some of the other effects were really cool, like the doorway to purgatory or some of the weird stuff in there.

I find it refreshing to see ALL of the main characters in trouble. When there's one hero character left standing it's pretty obvious they're just going to go around showing up in time to save everyone.

Molochs got some scrub minions for sure. What kind of supernatural hell monster's weakness is bullets?

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Sleepy Hollow has managed to fill 13 episodes with what some shows can stretch out over two years. Seriously, season would have revealed Crane had a son and it wouldn't have been until season two that we learn the sineater was him. That being said, how loving crazy must their seven year game-plan? Because I know that's how far the storyline goes.

By the time we get to that point, the founding fathers could be alive in present-day fighting in a Power Rangers-style costumed-team. Or it could jump the shark and do something really dumb.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I hope this show runs on the full crazy train to some illogical conclusion, like making the Spanish Inquisition a meddling third party or having a recent president literally be a servant of Moloch.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There are a number of shows on, of varying quality, that are doing these lightning fast arcs and moving plots like bullets. I don't know if this is a new trend or just one that I'm only now noticing, but I like it!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The show will last seven seasons because the headless horseman will keep finding new reasons to delay the apocalypse for his own petty reasons.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I think it's a case of Kurtzman, Orci and Olin being savvy enough producers to know that fantasy shows on FOX get murdered before they even have a chance to make it thought their opening credits so they went for "big, crazy, and fast," and somehow ended up winning. Terra Nova for instance failed because it went big, and sort of crazy, but not crazy enough and not fast enough, ergo the show with the unsinkable premise of "Stephen Lang punches the gently caress out of dinosaurs," tanked.

...Yes I know focusing too much on the stupid family and a guy named Brannon Braga didn't really help things either, but that's semantics.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

nine-gear crow posted:

I think it's a case of Kurtzman, Orci and Olin being savvy enough producers to know that fantasy shows on FOX get murdered before they even have a chance to make it thought their opening credits so they went for "big, crazy, and fast," and somehow ended up winning. Terra Nova for instance failed because it went big, and sort of crazy, but not crazy enough and not fast enough, ergo the show with the unsinkable premise of "Stephen Lang punches the gently caress out of dinosaurs," tanked.

...Yes I know focusing too much on the stupid family and a guy named Brannon Braga didn't really help things either, but that's semantics.

Well this show was renewed after two episodes. If found a really large internet following very quickly and that carried it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Did iPads do the lighting for the finale? Everything looked a bit cheaper then the norm. Does he have to die to become War or are we going to be treated to him in full plate armor?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Alex Kurtzman and Mark Goffman. They've been credited on several episodes this season. Of course Kurtzman is the co-creator. But like most shows there's a writers room and really no one single person writes the episodes. They all pitch in ideas and such.

Yeah, but then one person is tasked with writing it out. You can tell sometimes, I mean just look at the Darin Morgan episodes in X-Files. I like to follow the credits, and follow to where they end up.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

El Tortuga posted:

Sleepy Hollow has managed to fill 13 episodes with what some shows can stretch out over two years. Seriously, season would have revealed Crane had a son and it wouldn't have been until season two that we learn the sineater was him. That being said, how loving crazy must their seven year game-plan? Because I know that's how far the storyline goes.

By the time we get to that point, the founding fathers could be alive in present-day fighting in a Power Rangers-style costumed-team. Or it could jump the shark and do something really dumb.

I was banking on Ichabod, Abby and Captain Frank figuring out the only way to stop the apocalypse from happening was to travel back in time to stop it. Not every hero being totally hosed.

Gonna be interesting to see how s2 kicks off for sure.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Alkanos posted:

I had the exact opposite reaction. Ever since the golem episode I had a feeling that Parish would turn out to be Jeremy.

I suspected but then I said, "Naw, he's just a descendent. Two time lost people from the 18th century would just be silly."

Of course, now we're up to four...

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I hope this show runs on the full crazy train to some illogical conclusion, like making the Spanish Inquisition a meddling third party or having a recent president literally be a servant of Moloch.

Please. Recent former VP is far more likely.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

KilGrey posted:

What made you think this?

Nothing really, originally I just thought of it because it seemed like it would be neat. Like I said, I was hoping for a not evil Jeremy which would be pretty fun. I figured they'd eventually do something that would disprove it and it would be added to my long list of wrong stuff, but til then I'd have my fun.

That being said, I figured he was immortal like the warlock/priest guy instead of the waking up 10 years earlier thing. So I was wrong there.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Alkanos posted:

That being said, I figured he was immortal like the warlock/priest guy instead of the waking up 10 years earlier thing. So I was wrong there.

I disagree. What I took from the episode was that Jeremy was alive, aware and awake for the two-hundred years between when the hex "killed" him and Moloch pulled him from the earth.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

El Tortuga posted:

Perhaps we'll find out that Sleepy Hollow is ALSO a sequel to The Conduit 2 (I've not touched either of the games, but the ending sequence needs to be seen to be believed)

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Between all my various guesses to myself on how things would have turned out, if I had only used the word "AND" instead of "OR" every time, I would have been pretty close to correct. I think the show just puts all of the possible plot ideas into a hat, then instead of pulling them out one-by-one to choose, they just dump it all on the writers' table and laugh maniacally.

Jeremy is a Horseman.
-or-
Jeremy is the Sin Eater.
-or-
Sin Eater is a Horseman.

Ichabod will get the map, but destroy it before it can be used.
-or-
Ichabod will get the map and use it.

Katrina gets rescued by Ichabod. (yay!)
-or-
Katrina is taken by her headless ex. (boo!)

National Treasure style masonic treasure hunt.
-or-
Interdimensional rescue from purgatory.
-or-
Trapped in purgatory because it's all a trap.

A zombie founding father! (ha ha, just kidding, that won't happen)

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 23, 2014

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I suspected that Parrish was evil, but that he was Jeremy or War was totally out of left field.

I figured it'd be a case of a Sin Eater being corrupted by absorbing too much sin (and the less we talk about those episodes of Highlander, the better). And dissolving that link where Horseman-Ichabod-must-die-together kind of came too easily, considering how valuable a plot device it'd be to have held onto longer. Now it seems more about giving Death the freedom to act, rather than Ichabod.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

johntfs posted:

I disagree. What I took from the episode was that Jeremy was alive, aware and awake for the two-hundred years between when the hex "killed" him and Moloch pulled him from the earth.

Yeah, he mentions that sometime after he was cursed he woke up in the coffin and lived down there for the rest of the time between the curse and the year 2000. I guess he just ages slowly and his witch powers keep him alive even when he should have died.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I just finished watching it after reading this thread and it just goes to show. If a show is good enough, spoilers can't hurt it.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

jscolon2.0 posted:

I suspected that Parrish was evil, but that he was Jeremy or War was totally out of left field.

I figured it'd be a case of a Sin Eater being corrupted by absorbing too much sin (and the less we talk about those episodes of Highlander, the better). And dissolving that link where Horseman-Ichabod-must-die-together kind of came too easily, considering how valuable a plot device it'd be to have held onto longer. Now it seems more about giving Death the freedom to act, rather than Ichabod.

Also, if Ichabod kills himself then Jeremy can't punish him by betraying him and burying him alive later!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'm so late, but HOLY loving poo poo that was amazing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Robot Hobo posted:

A zombie founding father! (ha ha, just kidding, that won't happen)

I just realized, we don't know what happened to Zombie George Washington. I want him to be behind every major event in American history. Zombie George Washington was the guy who dropped the plans wrapped cigar that led to the battle of Antietam. ZGW plants a bomb that destroys the Maine. ZGW gunned down mobsters in the Valentine's Day Massacre.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ZGW storms the beaches at Normandy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

I just realized, we don't know what happened to Zombie George Washington. I want him to be behind every major event in American history. Zombie George Washington was the guy who dropped the plans wrapped cigar that led to the battle of Antietam. ZGW plants a bomb that destroys the Maine. ZGW gunned down mobsters in the Valentine's Day Massacre.

We saw the witchpriest bury him and it looked like it was still that time period so I don't think he was running around that much longer.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Waffleman_ posted:

ZGW storms the beaches at Normandy.

ZGW fights alongside Ernest Hemingway in the Spanish Civil War. Because why not.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

johntfs posted:

Not really. All that happened was that Conquest/Pestilence failed to materialize at that specific time. There's plenty of chance for it to come back. Especially now that he know that other Horsemen could already be walking around like Henry/Jeremy was.

And for what? That he'll get no respect?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

ZGW teams up with Andrew Jackson and both singlehandedly kick the British out of the country and cut short the War of 1812!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

muscles like this? posted:

We saw the witchpriest bury him and it looked like it was still that time period so I don't think he was running around that much longer.

Then again, if the Masons went through all the trouble to have a decoy tomb, a few decoy GW corpses isn't that much more effort...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

zoux posted:

Molochs got some scrub minions for sure. What kind of supernatural hell monster's weakness is bullets?

I actually kind of dig the "TREMBLE BEFORE ME MORTALow, poo poo. what the gently caress was that and how am I bleeding?" gag. After a few millennia of loving around with humanity, I could see the Great Old Ones being a bit put off by the clever apes really getting their poo poo together in the last few centuries.

• Locked thread