Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Oh man. When they cut to the Fruit bar and loving Hase breaks in and assaults (and probably infects) the Gaim dancer. It's loving ridiculous and amazing to get some heavy actual consequences for the hero's indecision in a show like this.

I haven't seen any other Heisei Rider shows, so I wouldn't know. Both Black and Amazon had preventable deaths early on due to the protagonist's errors due to lack of experience, and I liked that. Is that no longer a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

jonjonaug posted:

I haven't seen any other Heisei Rider shows, so I wouldn't know. Both Black and Amazon had preventable deaths early on due to the protagonist's errors due to lack of experience, and I liked that. Is that no longer a thing?

There's not many Preventable deaths in Heisei, though many do have a death as motivation or just death in general. The last preventable death I can think of is the girl in Eiji's back-story for OOOs and even that's a bit iffy. He was in a warzone in some less developed country and failed to save a little girl from some rocket attack and the whole event kind of made him into this aimless, goal-less wandering hobo until he gets the OOOdriver.o

Also the most interesting thing this week None of the invess are native to Helheim. Even the mook ones were created by Dr. Warren Statesman testing the fruit on lab rats.

This poo poo is crazy.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 19, 2014

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Well, there have to be at least some already there, since Hase turned into one by eating the fruit. Unless Yggdrasil made the trees there sprout the stuff.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

We may have definitely hit the point of no return here. I was actually feeling really hopeful that Hase would live, and I felt pretty good as the episode was running...and then THE BIG FOUR showed up. I had completely forgotten they were going to show up in this episode. :smith:

This is the most excited I've been for a Kamen Rider since getting into this fandom, holy poo poo.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I need to lie down for a while...

Apollove
May 31, 2013
GOD NOW I WANT TO WATCH IT SO BAD THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Apollove posted:

GOD NOW I WANT TO WATCH IT SO BAD THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME.

The raw was just put up, so you can watch that if you're fine with no subs.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

jonjonaug posted:

The raw was just put up, so you can watch that if you're fine with no subs.

And most of the twists/reveals this episodes don't really require subs so you should be fine.

Apollove
May 31, 2013
SO. I WATCHED THE EPISODE. I DIDN'T THINK FOR A SECOND THAT YUUYA WAS THE INVESS THAT KOTA KILLED IN EPISODE 1. JUST. WOW. AND HASE AND ALL THE DRAMA THAT HAPPENED IN THE END. Its really a credit to Urobuchi's writing that, even with someone who hardly got any actual character like Hase, the end of this episode still had me in tears

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm really impressed with how well they're showing off Kouta's improvement in fighting abilities this episode. Check out that sword technique from 17:45 (Overtime raw timing) onward, especially that parry.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
gently caress all of you and your tantalizing black boxes. :arghfist::qq:

Apollove
May 31, 2013
So, even though this episode was full on tragic, I still thought it was funny when Hase breaks into the fruit bar and turns into an Invess, while everyone is freaking out, the one fruit bar lady just calmly takes a broom from behind her and holds it like a sword.

Also, I just saw this on tumblr, spoilers for episode 14 so click at your own risk. http://badhoc.tumblr.com/post/73886339306/in-honor-of-episode-14

Apollove fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 20, 2014

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Subs for episode 14 are out.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Holy loving poo poo, this episode. And here I was doubting that Urobochi would maintain his reputation when doing a kid's show.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Remember Hase.

Also, I don't think Micchy took that revelation about Yuuya too well.

Apollove
May 31, 2013

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Also, I don't think Micchy took that revelation about Yuuya too well.

TO BE FAIR I DON'T THINK ANYONE TOOK THAT WELL.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Whoever had the bright idea to get Urobuchi to frontline this season is a smart, good man. Hella.

Of all the eps I've seen, THIS is the one that made me audibly say "What the _fuck_" at. Kouta and Mai's plans of looking for Yuuya was fruitless due to, well, him not being around anymore since ep. 1. And I only want MORE episodes since this is really the series that has been good at leaving off on cliffhangers for the viewer to want more to go off on, making the weekly wait painful.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I'm glad they're starting to tie loose ends early re: Yuuya's disappearance instead of trying to drag it out like say, Wizard :v: I find it interesting that all the energy riders use bows, too. Is there any deep meaning to that or is it just a thing to tie them together?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

It looks like the Genesis Driver is a mass-production model, so it makes sense that they'd all have the same weapons.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Apollove posted:

So, even though this episode was full on tragic, I still thought it was funny when Hase breaks into the fruit bar and turns into an Invess, while everyone is freaking out, the one fruit bar lady just calmly takes a broom from behind her and holds it like a sword.

Thank you for pointing this out, I completely missed it the first time I watched. Just for you:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
God drat, what a twist. This has the same goofy kind of stuff that W, OOOs, and Fourze did but the plot feels a lot like Showa Era all of a sudden. One thing I've been wondering is why Zangetsu is still in the promotional material with the rest of the good guys like Baron, who was always more of an Anti-Hero and Ryuugen who's the secondary rider. Why would he team up with Gaim and Baron in that newest movie, anyway?

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 21, 2014

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Flameingblack posted:

God drat, what a twist. This has the same goofy kind of stuff that W, OOOs, and Fourze did but the plot feels a lot like Showa Era all of a sudden. One thing I've been wondering is why Zangetsu is still in the promotional material with the rest of the good guys like Baron, who was always more of an Anti-Hero and Ryuugen who's the secondary rider. Why would he team up with Gaim and Baron in that newest movie, anyway?

There's precedence for it. Blade's second opening had Leangle working with the others and he remained an antagonistic rider until like Ep 45.

Alternatively: Zangetsu might get a chance to redeem himself, as it seems that the Yggdrassil guys have their own agenda as much as they are working together. See: The fact Professor Warren Statesman didn't need to know about mass-produced Genesis Drivers, the fact that Sid actively did his own thing outside of the supervision of the others, etc.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 21, 2014

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Flameingblack posted:

God drat, what a twist. This has the same goofy kind of stuff that W, OOOs, and Fourze did but the plot feels a lot like Showa Era all of a sudden.

It's because while W and Fourze had people become the monsters, it wasn't a permanent or even truly dangerous thing. No one died because of it unless they went overboard like certain characters in W.

Here the stakes are back to what they used to be- innocent people are being turned into horrible monsters, and the worst part is that they cannot be saved.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Flameingblack posted:

Zangetsu has demonstrated to not be completely irredeemable. Yggdrasil been painted overwhelmingly as the antagonists so far, but out of all the named characters in the organization, Zangetsu's been the least dickish. He seems to have some sense of duty and loyalty, though its been more focused on protecting his staff than anything else, we don't know whether he hired Bravo to hunt down the Invess to protect his company's image or to protect the citizens. Probably both, I'd imagine. Still, once we stop seeing things exclusively from the Beat Riders' perspective and start getting some more information on Yggdrasil and Zangetsu's motives, it'll probably become apparent why he's treated as a good guy.

Apollove
May 31, 2013

melodicwaffle posted:

Thank you for pointing this out, I completely missed it the first time I watched. Just for you:

I really hope she ends up becoming a late season rider :allears:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Apollove posted:

You say that like she isn't a rider already. :ninja:

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Apollove posted:

A broom was Den-O's very first weapon, so be on the lookout for giant mounds of sand. :downs:

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Watching Gaim is a serious trip compared to other recent series. I'm enjoying it a lot so far, but every episode has me thinking "Please don't start sucking, last episode was so good."

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Apollove posted:

For some reason I want to say she's the Peach Energy Rider. I have absolutely no proof nor do I have a reason to think this but I do.

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008

Cernunnos posted:

For some reason I want to say she's the Peach Energy Rider. I have absolutely no proof nor do I have a reason to think this but I do.

She's not. She's played by Minami Tsukui who was previously the Hopper Dopant on Kamen Rider W and was one of the villains in the Kyoryuger movie. She's also a stuntwoman and will be doing her own suit acting which if I'm not mistaken hasn't been done since Hiroshi Fujioka did it in the original series.

Apollove
May 31, 2013

Thurm posted:

She's also a stuntwoman and will be doing her own suit acting which if I'm not mistaken hasn't been done since Hiroshi Fujioka did it in the original series.

I did not know this. Oh man now I'm even MORE excited for evil peach action

Apple Mummy
Oct 11, 2012

I want to know what's the deal with Sid's 'S' Lockseed. I think it looks neat and might buy it if they make a toy despite not owning any other toku merch.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

There are actual stakes in play this early in the series. I'm in love... :allears:

Apollove
May 31, 2013

Apple Mummy posted:

I want to know what's the deal with Sid's 'S' Lockseed. I think it looks neat and might buy it if they make a toy despite not owning any other toku merch.

Watch it just turn him into Stronger.

In all seriousness I just thought it was nothing, like, just a lockseed he carries around that has his initial on it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Agent Rush posted:

Watching Gaim is a serious trip compared to other recent series. I'm enjoying it a lot so far, but every episode has me thinking "Please don't start sucking, last episode was so good."

Wizard inflicted PTSD.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Wizard inflicted PTSD.

Most likely, I never got this feeling watching other Rider series'. One question, though: why are people referring to Dr. Sengoku as Warren Statesman?

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

The Sengoku Driver is known as the Warring Driver from Aesirsubs, so I assume the new name is to match up with how the Sengoku Driver is named after him?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Agent Rush posted:

Most likely, I never got this feeling watching other Rider series'. One question, though: why are people referring to Dr. Sengoku as Warren Statesman?

LightningKimba posted:

The Sengoku Driver is known as the Warring Driver from Aesirsubs, so I assume the new name is to match up with how the Sengoku Driver is named after him?

It is a silly pun, that's all.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Can Of Worms posted:

I'm glad they're starting to tie loose ends early re: Yuuya's disappearance instead of trying to drag it out like say, Wizard :v:

The only thing it seems they're dragging out a bit is Micchy trying to hide the fact that he's Ryugen from his brother, but it makes sense in the storyline and I'm sure the reveal isn't going to be too far off now that it seems Yggdrasil is gathering up the belt owners.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Wizard inflicted PTSD.

That, and Hibiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Hopefully who they hired in this case will make them less likely to change things halfway through, especially considering how making Kyoryuger radically different than Gobusters didn't change much in ratings.

• Locked thread