Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

He's achieved Elder Scrolls CHIM. :allears: This manwha rules.

That is an amazingly nerdy way to describe his ability. Which is very fitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zahrkon
Apr 2, 2010

Slime posted:

The mention about quests coming from his mom makes me wonder. He can't see her level because it's so high, so there's obviously something special about her. In an MMO, quests come from developers. Maybe she has something to do with the ability?

Hwan sung gon says there's 3 major powers in the area with the Yunhonmoon being the red haired girls clan, the Chunbumoon being Ilsuns clan, and finnaly the "irregular magician". I'm betting his mother is the irregular magician and that's why he can't see her level. She also moved really fast to have him train with the Chunbumoon so i think she defintetly knows whats going on.

He also mentions he gets quests for doing classwork from his teachers it just wasn't shown.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Zahrkon posted:

Hwan sung gon says there's 3 major powers in the area with the Yunhonmoon being the red haired girls clan, the Chunbumoon being Ilsuns clan, and finnaly the "irregular magician". I'm betting his mother is the irregular magician and that's why he can't see her level. She also moved really fast to have him train with the Chunbumoon so i think she defintetly knows whats going on.

He also mentions he gets quests for doing classwork from his teachers it just wasn't shown.

She is the Legendary SF2 champion. Everything is a fighting game.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Going back to the "powers affecting real world" thing, it seems the setting operated on Mage rules.
In Mage, magic works differently if you're in the presence of Muggles. If you use your powers to do a short handstand or something, nobody will think it's weird and you won't get punished.
But if you affect reality in a way that defies common sense, referred to as "vulgar magic" in Mage, reality punishes you with a Paradox.
Paradoxes are reality trying to fix the discrepancy between the Muggle's common sense and your actions, in a way that is always bad for you. These range from having you sparkle (giving away your position to an enemy) to summoning an Abomination or a Paradox Spirit to wipe you out of existence (you should avoid those).

Interestingly, Mage makes a point that perception is all that matters. Particularly, television has a very notable effect on the Muggles. So in Mage, if you were to enchant a shotgun to make large holes in your enemies, you wouldn't be punished as harshly for it as if you cause the same effect through simple magic. Shotguns cause huge holes in action movies, so the Muggle's common sense isn't as badly jarred.

I imagine the same principle is in play here.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Somehow this isn't incredibly lame.

Really enjoyed what I've seen so far.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

Going back to the "powers affecting real world" thing, it seems the setting operated on Mage rules.
In Mage, magic works differently if you're in the presence of Muggles. If you use your powers to do a short handstand or something, nobody will think it's weird and you won't get punished.
But if you affect reality in a way that defies common sense, referred to as "vulgar magic" in Mage, reality punishes you with a Paradox.
Paradoxes are reality trying to fix the discrepancy between the Muggle's common sense and your actions, in a way that is always bad for you. These range from having you sparkle (giving away your position to an enemy) to summoning an Abomination or a Paradox Spirit to wipe you out of existence (you should avoid those).

Interestingly, Mage makes a point that perception is all that matters. Particularly, television has a very notable effect on the Muggles. So in Mage, if you were to enchant a shotgun to make large holes in your enemies, you wouldn't be punished as harshly for it as if you cause the same effect through simple magic. Shotguns cause huge holes in action movies, so the Muggle's common sense isn't as badly jarred.

I imagine the same principle is in play here.

It seems a little different from Mage. When explaining the rule Sun-Il gave the example that winning the lottery would effect the real-world too much so it flat out isn't allowed. But people win the lottery legitimately without using bullshit magic powers, yes it is unlikely but it isn't a violation of the natural order.

Basically it sounds like Mage but without being based on perception, which changes things a lot. Mage penalizes magic that is too noticeable but this penalizes magic that is too significant.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Einander posted:

As I said to a friend, I'm really hoping he's wrong and the ??? is the result of her having an ability that's incompatible with his imposed worldview. I want it to turn out that she's a huge fan of movies or soap operas or sci-fi books and has her own version of his world-warping ability. Movies don't have character levels!

No one else has character levels. Jee-Han interprets what he sees as levels, but that doesn't mean everyone else is unknowingly running off of a MMO system.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Elite posted:

It seems a little different from Mage. When explaining the rule Sun-Il gave the example that winning the lottery would effect the real-world too much so it flat out isn't allowed. But people win the lottery legitimately without using bullshit magic powers, yes it is unlikely but it isn't a violation of the natural order.

Basically it sounds like Mage but without being based on perception, which changes things a lot. Mage penalizes magic that is too noticeable but this penalizes magic that is too significant.

But afterwards Sun-Il says that a rule of thumb is whether normal people notice that something is wrong. So changing the flavor of seaweed buns is fine, but using your powers to win the lottery is not. It might be because winning the lottery in itself is a weird action, like people would notice something is wrong and as such the world punishes you. But if you won it legitimately, then obviously it doesn't matter to the world, regardless how weird it is to other people.

And the powers manifest based on something important to people psychologically, right? Sun-gon's reason is probably because he was constantly alone.

KoB
May 1, 2009

James Totes posted:

Somehow this isn't incredibly lame.

Really enjoyed what I've seen so far.

I think usually the flaw is that it takes itself way too seriously, but the comic is pretty clear that even the characters think its silly.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Thanks for making a thread for this, I likely never would have found it otherwise. As has been said, its characters and plot are nothing to write home about, but I really think it makes up for it in sheer originality of concept. It almost seems strange that I haven't run into this idea before.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Thanks for making a thread for this, I likely never would have found it otherwise. As has been said, its characters and plot are nothing to write home about, but I really think it makes up for it in sheer originality of concept. It almost seems strange that I haven't run into this idea before.

Ironically, in Korea theres a group of people who dislike this series because game-related novels and stories are really overdone over there. People consider stories like this as copies of novels like The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Einander posted:

As I said to a friend, I'm really hoping he's wrong and the ??? is the result of her having an ability that's incompatible with his imposed worldview. I want it to turn out that she's a huge fan of movies or soap operas or sci-fi books and has her own version of his world-warping ability. Movies don't have character levels!

Specifically old VHS movies; she can rewind or fast forward or pause or rerecord events. :getin:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I'm afraid... Afraid that this thread will have the worst derails. Gaming feminism wars vs anime feminism wars? Yikes.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Law Cheetah posted:

Ironically, in Korea theres a group of people who dislike this series because game-related novels and stories are really overdone over there. People consider stories like this as copies of novels like The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor.

I should have known. "There is nothing new under the sun." Well, this is new enough for me, apparently: I blitzed the whole thing, after all.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The logic of the 'punishments' seems to be more 'does it affect normal people a lot?'. So selling food doesn't do anything except affect them to like your food - winning the lottery might steal millions of dollars from the normal person who would normally win it, or something like that, I guess?

Then again, things are dropping 500 bucks now, who needs to win the lottery when you can level up and get rich?

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Serious Frolicking posted:

No one else has character levels. Jee-Han interprets what he sees as levels, but that doesn't mean everyone else is unknowingly running off of a MMO system.

The point of his power is that it imposes game rules upon the world. It continually alters the parts of reality that he's perceiving and interacting with. They may not have had character levels before, but they do now, just like enemies drop items when he kills them; remember how Sun-Il was gaining experience from killing zombies a few chapters back? They may not raise those levels in the same way that Jee-Han does, but their changes in strength and skill get quantified into levels the moment he observes them.

So yeah. It'd be cool to have someone else who has the same sort of power, just with a different ruleset, and who therefore gets to ignore his imposed rules.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

It's Schrodinger's Game Mechanics. It is impossible to tell if the levels existed before Jee-Han got his power, because no one could see them regardless. Until someone was able to look at them, it was impossible to tell if they were there or not. :v:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Einander posted:

The point of his power is that it imposes game rules upon the world. It continually alters the parts of reality that he's perceiving and interacting with. They may not have had character levels before, but they do now, just like enemies drop items when he kills them; remember how Sun-Il was gaining experience from killing zombies a few chapters back? They may not raise those levels in the same way that Jee-Han does, but their changes in strength and skill get quantified into levels the moment he observes them.

So yeah. It'd be cool to have someone else who has the same sort of power, just with a different ruleset, and who therefore gets to ignore his imposed rules.

Or levels could just go up from experience (in the non game meaning). Sun-Il was getting tiny amounts of experience for killing zombies because even if they're weak he was 'learning' and experiencing it.

Jee-Han just has a system where he himself levels up in a way he knows he levels up - Sun-Il gained levels early in the story (from 23 to 25) via undergoing some 'pretty serious training', nothing to do with the game ability.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

Or levels could just go up from experience (in the non game meaning). Sun-Il was getting tiny amounts of experience for killing zombies because even if they're weak he was 'learning' and experiencing it.

Jee-Han just has a system where he himself levels up in a way he knows he levels up - Sun-Il gained levels early in the story (from 23 to 25) via undergoing some 'pretty serious training', nothing to do with the game ability.

Sure that's how it works for everyone else. But when Jee-Han observes someone he translates their skill and knowledge into numbers. Usually that's just for information, but I'd guess that when he actively imposes "game rules" on someone else, e.g. grinding zombies with Sun-Il, he actively alters reality using those game rules. Sun-Il's knowledge and skill would rise by game rules as long as Jee-Han is imposing them on him, but as soon as the "session" ends he'd be back to normal physics again.

Quite likely a Schrödinger's Ability.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Mo_Steel posted:

Specifically old VHS movies; she can rewind or fast forward or pause or rerecord events. :getin:
Thanks. Now i'm going to be so disappointed when this isn't the case.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm interested in seeing how he bridges the gap in stats between him and Sun-Il - he explicitly states that Sun-Il's stats are huge for his level, and it's clear he's been training his body for years.

I'm guessing it will be more passive skills/raising his passive's levels mainly, but I wouldn't be surprised if he started finding stat manuals as well as skill ones, eventually.

Edit: one thing that can't be stated enough is that this comic has the perfect pace of 'learning the setting' as well as 'explaining the abilities'. It doesn't become a wordy mess like a lot of comics, while also showing enough to keep you feeling like you're getting more informed. A lot of comics/books fail by giving you a massive info dump in chapter 1-2 that makes it a pain to read.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Maybe everyone lives their life with MMO rules applied to them, but none of them have the main character's skill:

A Gamer's Body LvMAX : Allows user to live life as if it were a game.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Chapter 21

Holy poo poo, those extra pages :haw:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well poo poo, I guess he is now invincible with that new passive skill. Manwha's over, people.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Those loving extra pages, all of that was great. Now I just want to imagine this series in that different videogame genres

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Chapter 21

Holy poo poo, those extra pages :haw:

The CONQUOR FAILED! was the best. I hope he does an FPS parody next. I don't know how he'll do it, but I'm looking forward to it.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Those extra pages were amazing. I don't see many comedy manhwas out there, so this series is a great break from stuff like Can't See, Can't Hear But Love.

PrivRyan
Aug 3, 2012

This rock smells like stone.
I'm actually enjoying this. On chapter 2, going to 3 in a minute.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

PrivRyan posted:

I'm actually enjoying this. On chapter 2, going to 3 in a minute.

It just gets better and better. Give us a trip report when you catch up! :haw:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 22 is out

That last skill he discovers, so good. I love this series.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Huzzah! posted:

Chapter 22 is out

I have a feeling that he will end up having to - *gasp* - actually exercise like a normal person in order to increase his speed/evasion. And that he won't be particularly happy about it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Huzzah! posted:

Chapter 22 is out

Pack it up guys, he's just getting more and more broken with each new skill :allears:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I REALLY want to see what his new skill looks like at high levels.

chibi
Feb 11, 2004

He definitely needs to level that. He could be living in the sort of gameworld where debuffs are really good!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Doesn't this dude play MMOs? Recall/Hearthstone, hello?

That'd probably get him spanked by the world though; teleporting miles instantly would likely be a no-no.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I don't know, isn't the rule that it's not allowed if has a noticeable effect on the world? Wouldn't teleporting to his room/house for example be allowed?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Demicol posted:

I don't know, isn't the rule that it's not allowed if has a noticeable effect on the world? Wouldn't teleporting to his room/house for example be allowed?

He can do the famous anime triple-date! Unless someone catches him in the teleportation act, forcing him to cease existence.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I hope that ability leads to a crazy Bollywood song routine.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

nielsm posted:

He can do the famous anime triple-date! Unless someone catches him in the teleportation act, forcing him to cease existence.

The series doesn't even have enough girls for the famous anime triple-date. Immersion ruined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I want him to get a Rune Factory-style relationship list at some point. Names and affection values!

And then he can be depressed when the only person that he has high affection with is Sun-Il.