Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

AXE COP posted:

I'm kind of sad about that because the d'Artagnan style duelist is my favourite archetype to play in fantasy games, and they almost universally suck.
They should be pretty good in PoE. If you dual-wield you're attacking much more frequently. If you wield a single weapon with nothing in the off-hand, you'll gain a good Accuracy bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

CountingWizard posted:

Will the gameplay follow the typical pattern of: save before every battle and reload until you win without anyone dieing? My typical Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale/TOEE/Dragon Age experience followed that pattern since death had such strong penalties and occurred so frequently. In each one of those games I eventually stopped playing because of it.

I've been playing Temple of Elemental Evil lately, and I stopped following that pattern and just accepting my losses, but now I spend too much time travelling back and forth after each battle. I was wondering if this game will handle things any differently.

Sounds like you should stop and think instead of bashing your head against a wall until the dice go your way.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

rope kid posted:

They should be pretty good in PoE. If you dual-wield you're attacking much more frequently. If you wield a single weapon with nothing in the off-hand, you'll gain a good Accuracy bonus.

Yeah, it just sounds like you don't necessarily want them alone against a very accurate boss or mob.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lotish posted:

Yeah, it just sounds like you don't necessarily want them alone against a very accurate boss or mob.

They would probably make a good rogue in that case. High single target damage with an accuracy boost and the ability to disengage from the enemy if need be? d'Artagnan indeed.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

FauxGateau posted:

They would probably make a good rogue in that case. High single target damage with an accuracy boost and the ability to disengage from the enemy if need be? d'Artagnan indeed.

I'd also be surprised if rogues don't have options that increase their deflection, be it passive increases to the baseline or an activated time limited power.

Even if not, just take out that enemy before he takes you out.

Edit: maybe a feat to replace the one handed accuracy boost with a deflection boost instead?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

rope kid posted:

With the way accuracy bonuses go, even if you're already accurate to the point of hitting basically all the time, you'll still see a benefit from getting more crits, right?

I like my crit damage.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

rope kid posted:

How are you doing frequency of attacks? Does "more attacks" also mean "faster attacks" - as in animation speed of attack because you need to fit them into a certain time window?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

xthetenth posted:

With the way accuracy bonuses go, even if you're already accurate to the point of hitting basically all the time, you'll still see a benefit from getting more crits, right?
Yes. With a big enough Accuracy advantage, a character can wind up with almost all hits and crits.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

DatonKallandor posted:

How are you doing frequency of attacks? Does "more attacks" also mean "faster attacks" - as in animation speed of attack because you need to fit them into a certain time window?
A character wielding two weapons is making more frequent attacks than one wielding one weapon (whether single-handed, two-handed, or with a shield). A character in lighter armor plays attack animations (and recovers from them) more quickly than one in heavier armor.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
That's interesting - if you do go with a Poise style stat it'll be a lot more useful for heavy armor characters. Even more for dual-wield heavy armor since there's more attacks to interrupt?

Does an interrupted animation lead to straight up lost damage or would the attack just get pushed to later in the attack cycle? Or is there no cycle at all (like the 6-second turn of Baldurs Gate).

Edit: Oh poo poo you're not making a distinction between spells and other stuff, it's all just "attacks" right? So a robe-wizard would cast a lot quicker than a plate-wizard.

Can't get over how well designed this seems to be. Is that what happens when you give Infinity Engine veterans freedom from any pre-existing system?

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 23, 2014

QVC Drinking Game
Jun 23, 2005
Sorry if this has been covered, but will there be visual elements that display AoE radius? I'm totally psyched for friendly fire but it got annoying in BG2 when you misjudged the radius of a fireball and toasted a nearby guard or something. NWN2/Dragon Age radius displays were a lot better.

VVV SICK

QVC Drinking Game fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 23, 2014

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

DatonKallandor posted:

Does an interrupted animation lead to straight up lost damage or would the attack just get pushed to later in the attack cycle? Or is there no cycle at all (like the 6-second turn of Baldurs Gate).
If an action is interrupted, it stops. If it's a repeated action like reloading/firing or performing standard attacks, it will restart from the beginning as soon as the interrupt animation finishes. For one-off/special use actions, the action isn't "lost" (meaning you can try using it again) but it will not auto-re-attempt.

QVC Drinking Game posted:

Sorry if this has been covered, but will there be visual elements that display AoE radius? I'm totally psyched for friendly fire but it got annoying in BG2 when you misjudged the radius of a fireball and toasted a nearby guard or something. NWN2/Dragon Age radius displays were a lot better.
Yes, you can see your AoE, but you also have the option to turn it off. In Expert mode, it's automatically turned off.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Awesome.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Will there be the ability to set up a chain of actions? Can I set an option to auto-pause if an action gets interrupted? It would be nice if that was an option, it could auto-select the interrupted magicmans and flash the ability that got interrupted. That's how I'd make it work, anyway.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

In lieu of other topics to discuss, here's Chris Avellone doing a thing.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Lotish posted:

Are we turning this into the Chris Avellone stalker thread?
That was certainly a surprise though when I saw it this morning.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Lotish posted:

this guy is awful

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I thought it was funny.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rope kid, I have a spergy thing to hit you with: Gameplay balance aside (and it's the obvious reason), why can't a person wear 8-10 rings (one for each finger and thumbs if they choose)? What lore reason would you come up with that was plausible without making players sneering "Oh bullshit" at it? I know you guys over at Obsidian love the little details, and I love you guys for it, so I'm curious if you or anyone else at Obsidian ever gave that matter much thought. If I were an adventurer I'd throw on as much magical protection I could. Without getting too nuts with the whole earrings and piercings, I'd throw on at least 10 rings and a couple necklaces of protection if I were seeking out danger. What lore reason would prevent me from doing that? If I can't have multiple rings why can I equip two? If it's because the power would overwhelm my limbs what about toe rings? Ect. ect.

Again, spergy as hell, but I'm just curious if any of you guys ever gave this dumb thing any serious thought, since that's what you guys tend to do (again, love that you guys do).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I always understood it as the way magical rings are crafted causes them to clash with each other if placed in close promixity. Which still doesn't make sense, because you could also put some on your toes, your ears, your nose, your tongue, your... dick, etc.

I'm not sure there actually exists a satisfactory lore reason, but it would suck if you had 10+ ring slots for every character.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
We usually allowed any number of non-overlapping and non-conflicting ones in pnp. (So you couldnt use fire resistance and warmth together, and two rings of protection did not work together, but you could wear a half dozen rings that activated using charges.)

Eddain
May 6, 2007
That drow Jarlaxle in Forgotten Realms was decked to poo poo in magical gear. I wanna be like him.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Jimbot posted:

Rope kid, I have a spergy thing to hit you with: Gameplay balance aside (and it's the obvious reason), why can't a person wear 8-10 rings (one for each finger and thumbs if they choose)? What lore reason would you come up with that was plausible without making players sneering "Oh bullshit" at it? I know you guys over at Obsidian love the little details, and I love you guys for it, so I'm curious if you or anyone else at Obsidian ever gave that matter much thought. If I were an adventurer I'd throw on as much magical protection I could. Without getting too nuts with the whole earrings and piercings, I'd throw on at least 10 rings and a couple necklaces of protection if I were seeking out danger. What lore reason would prevent me from doing that? If I can't have multiple rings why can I equip two? If it's because the power would overwhelm my limbs what about toe rings? Ect. ect.

Again, spergy as hell, but I'm just curious if any of you guys ever gave this dumb thing any serious thought, since that's what you guys tend to do (again, love that you guys do).

It's a relic from before everyone bought all their rings over the aethernet. Magic item shops used to make most of their profits by buying used gear and reselling it for nearly full retail. This worked fine for swords and armor because most people didn't want to bother to carry around more than one at a time, so they sold their old stuff when they got a better one. But small stuff like rings are easy to transport, and the resale market was lovely. So the various shopkeeper's guilds got together with the enchanter's guilds and had them build in restrictions so you couldn't have more than two rings active at the same time; and now most people sell their spare rings rather than dig in their sack to find the appropriate one for the current crisis and swap it with one they're wearing, all before they get hit with the dragon fire / fall off the cliff / have their leg cutoff in a trap.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Obsidian please let us equip rings to any body part as long as we obey the two-ring limit, tia. Forton needs nipple rings.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Nevets posted:

It's a relic from before everyone bought all their rings over the aethernet.

Also it's a relic from who the gently caress wants to keep track of 20 rings.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I want a lore explanation for the reason we can magically dye armor while traveling. Is it soul dye? What is it, rope kid?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
And I'd like to know what lorespell has been cast over the land to remove everyone's crippling fear of the giant flying mouse cursor that zips around everywhere.

Explain that one rope kid.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Also, how will you explain not having potty breaks while adventuring? Ok, I mean "boring and useless feature" explanation aside, how will you integrate it in the lore? I know you guys are known for that sort of thing, so I expect nothing less than 10 page essay on the issue, thanks in advance!

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
All of your questions can be answered with one of two phrases;

"Magic."

"A Wizard Did It."

Can't wear three rings? Because of Magic.

Need to poop? A Wizard will take care of that for you. Maybe with a magic ring.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

We do not have a lore explanation for why you can only wear two rings, sorry. We do use the two ring limit and the reasons are 1) overall game balance 2) tradition.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Disco Infiva posted:

Also, how will you explain not having potty breaks while adventuring? Ok, I mean "boring and useless feature" explanation aside, how will you integrate it in the lore? I know you guys are known for that sort of thing, so I expect nothing less than 10 page essay on the issue, thanks in advance!

That's what the brown bags of holding are for.

They open a tiny gateway to the poop plane.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

rope kid posted:

We do not have a lore explanation for why you can only wear two rings, sorry. We do use the two ring limit and the reasons are 1) overall game balance 2) tradition.

Are there limitations on certain equipment setups similar to how magic protection items didn't stack in older Infinity Engine games that ran ADnD 2.5e?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

rope kid posted:

3) 2 ring swagger

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Disco Infiva posted:

I assume any RPG world has adventurer turds scattered liberally around its forests/caves/goblin warrens etc.

The little campfire cutscene animation (this will be in, right??) can have a dude popping a squat in the background.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Sunning posted:

Are there limitations on certain equipment setups similar to how magic protection items didn't stack in older Infinity Engine games that ran ADnD 2.5e?

Apparently attribute bonuses don't stack (you get the highest bonus from any one item), but bonuses on derived stats (like deflection etc) do stack.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

rope kid posted:

When considering lore for writing why only two rings work, consider why it is called a "ring-finger" and work around that.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sunning posted:

Currently, items and spells do not stack with each other. The exception to this are rings, because they are Special and Fancy. Potions do stack with other effects, but consuming a potion terminates ongoing effects from a potion currently in effect.

e: In the character sheet, we will show suppressed effects in italics so you can see what is being stomped by other items/spells.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

rope kid posted:

Currently, items and spells do not stack with each other. The exception to this are rings, because they are Special and Fancy. Potions do stack with other effects, but consuming a potion terminates ongoing effects from a potion currently in effect.

e: In the character sheet, we will show suppressed effects in italics so you can see what is being stomped by other items/spells.

Thanks, I was about to ask about feedback on how items would conflict.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Masonity posted:

That's what the brown bags of holding are for.

They open a tiny gateway to the poop plane.

No, he saves them for later. How else woild you summon an excremental? Got to have dem material components.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

rope kid posted:

Out of curiosity how do you determine which items' bonuses are used when you have more than one providing the same bonus?

• Locked thread