Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
badguyfromthegame
Jan 23, 2014

I really like how every album Death Grips has made so far has a different feel to each one of them. Exmilitary is the most agressive, The Money Store has a more punk feel to it, No Love Deep Web is more synthy and dark while Government Plates is more influenced by electronic dance music.

Blood Creepin is loving intense, it's become my go-to song when wanting to listen to something really aggressive and hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

second-hand smegma posted:

Just introduced myself to Exmilitary. This group is the downright amazing.
Beware is probably my favorite introduction to a band ever.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mutation posted:

Beware is probably my favorite introduction to a band ever.

Seconding this. I kept hearing this stuff about how Yeezus was inspired by the Death Grips and just put Exmilitary hear them out and holy gently caress

Damp Star Baby
Jan 22, 2014

Staying Legend. CA Exempt DEATH
has anyone been able to find any info about upcoming tour dates? I haven't had any luck.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

If you can't find it easily, it's likely that they aren't going on a tour or have one planned at the moment.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
If you don't like their music you have to at least respect what they do. I wish more bands did this. I'm going to have a lot of fun with these.

http://pitchfork.com/news/53763-death-grips-release-no-love-deep-web-and-government-plates-stems-for-free/

Actually kind of sad this is just instrumentals and acapellas instead of true stems. Would have loved to grab those drums.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 30, 2014

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"
My friend showed The Money Store to me this weekend and I already loving love them.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Here's a mash-up of the vocals from "I Want It I Need It" over the music from "Hip to Be Square," set to footage from American Psycho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WZ8xI9YykY

Whole album here: http://lovegrips.bandcamp.com/

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 7, 2014

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Mashing up Death Grips is pretty hard to do. Kind of why I gave up on this

https://soundcloud.com/alexendl/wish-i-knew

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
I was busy with work when Government Plates came out for the first time so I accidentally forgot about it until recently. Imagine my excitement when I suddenly realized there is a whole new Death Grips album I can go listen to right away. :neckbeard:

Honestly, Birds sounded pretty horrible the first time around, but it really makes a lot more sense as part of a whole rather than a single piece. It really grew on me later. This whole album did. It's just the right mix of abrasive and catchy, and I love the fact they manage to do that. I wish they would do something as aggressive as Exmilitary again, but this is pretty drat excellent too. Don't know how I would rank it with the others yet, but I don't know how I would rank any of them really. They're all pretty unique in their own ways. The best one will probably always be the one I'm listening to at the moment.

My only complaint is the album cover. It's just way too bland. I don't want them to try to top the Erect Penis -cover (because let's be real here, they can never top that work of art), but I was expecting something a little more exciting than that.

Death Grips remains as one of my favorite groups, and I'm so glad I gave them a change few years back. Really looking forward to whatever they come up with next and that feature film Hill has been working on.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Henchman of Santa posted:

Here's a mash-up of the vocals from "I Want It I Need It" over the music from "Hip to Be Square," set to footage from American Psycho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WZ8xI9YykY

That is loving priceless.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MHhLDCJ57E

A video was just posted for "No Love". It's weird, surprise!

DarkUltim8Hedgehog
Dec 5, 2012

Death Grips really is its own world - it sure isn't the type of thing I would normally call hip hop; I feel like I want to call them metal. Because of the raw intensity, the power in this music. The same emotions that metal gives me, Death Grips does. Maybe even more so.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Angryhead posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MHhLDCJ57E

A video was just posted for "No Love". It's weird, surprise!
Haha, they added MC Ride's diary in the video.

Man, these music videos. They're really just something else.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'd say they're definitively punk.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

echronorian posted:

I'd say they're definitively punk.

This, moreso than metal.

VVVVVV punk beyond guitars

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 14, 2014

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I feel like DG is probably the closest we've ever gotten to "cyberpunk" as a genre of music.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I emailed the band and demanded two things.

1) they repress ex military on vinyl so I don't have to pay extortionist prices for it OR they sell me a copy for a reasonable price
2) they press government plates on vinyl.

I will let you know how they respond

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

beergod posted:

I emailed the band and demanded two things.

1) they repress ex military on vinyl so I don't have to pay extortionist prices for it OR they sell me a copy for a reasonable price
2) they press government plates on vinyl.

I will let you know how they respond

Let's hope it's one of those days when they give a gently caress.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Franz von Dada posted:

Let's hope it's one of those days when they give a gently caress.

50% chance.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
I kinda hope they take your money and give you nothing

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
Huh that's kind of a moronic and lovely thing to say, isn't it?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I dunno it sounds exactly what Deathgrips would do and you should be honored

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

beergod posted:

Huh that's kind of a moronic and lovely thing to say, isn't it?
When you come out your poo poo is gone.

I wonder if they even bother to answer fanmail.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Franz von Dada posted:

When you come out your poo poo is gone.

I wonder if they even bother to answer fanmail.

They were pretty chill about the ARG.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

They are apparently scheduled to play Pitchfork this year, so...hopefully they won't pull another Lollapalooza.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
It goes it goes it goes it goes

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AodBQ2ElXxs

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well this is a loving trip.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DG enthusiasts are the best enthusiasts

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
I'm sure a lot of you are already aware, but somehow Soundgarden and NIN managed to sign Death Grips as the support act for their upcoming national tour...that should certainly be interesting. Can't imagine there's much crossover in the fanbase, but I'm glad they'll get even more exposure.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
I have always had some connection with Niggy Tardust and DG. Trent produced a lot of that album, so if a NIN fan likes that, there will be a good chance. I can't imagine Soundgarden fans being into it.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Optimum Gulps posted:

I'm sure a lot of you are already aware, but somehow Soundgarden and NIN managed to sign Death Grips as the support act for their upcoming national tour...that should certainly be interesting. Can't imagine there's much crossover in the fanbase, but I'm glad they'll get even more exposure.

This put me over the edge to get tickets I love NIN and am really meh on soundgarden but Death Grips if nothing fascinate me and I'd love to see them live.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
This is also happening the same night as that first date on the NIN tour.

Which one (if either) will they show up to?

clay_
Apr 2, 2013
zach hill's dong on vinyl

better late than never i guess.

i'm at that jersey show on august second.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I wish Stefan was my bf

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
No matter what happens, I'm just glad one of Zach Hill's wacky outings finally took off big. His half of that Speakerboxx/Love Below style split album was so drat good and I never hear anything about it.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

No matter what happens, I'm just glad one of Zach Hill's wacky outings finally took off big. His half of that Speakerboxx/Love Below style split album was so drat good and I never hear anything about it.

I still rock Hold Your Horse Is though

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Griff Lee posted:

I still rock Hold Your Horse Is though

Tripper rules. Excited about the prospect of new Hella

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Oops, I guess I consider Hella the "main" Zach Hill band so I meant like....everything other than Hella he's up to. I mark out for all Hella releases.

• Locked thread