Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
just buy a loving envelop already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
The more I see the prices of desks that have the features I want and the more I read this thread the more I'm leaning towards saying fukkit and just designing my own ideal computer desk and working with a carpenter or furniture maker locally to have it made. If there was a particle-board desk for $2-300 that had everything I wanted in it I'd probably buy it, but if I'm going to be spending $600-1000 on a desk I'd rather have it be exactly what I want it to be, know it's well-constructed, and put some of that money in the pocket of a local fabricator.

[/portland idealist]

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

You can do a surprising amount with IKEA parts if you want to mix and match. They have a lot of shared colors across various lines which makes hacking it together pretty easy. Can you tell my desk is from IKEA? Yeah. But it's nothing IKEA makes and involves stuff from 3 different lines of products, yet still looks like it was designed to be put together that way.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

MMD3 posted:

The more I see the prices of desks that have the features I want and the more I read this thread the more I'm leaning towards saying fukkit and just designing my own ideal computer desk and working with a carpenter or furniture maker locally to have it made. If there was a particle-board desk for $2-300 that had everything I wanted in it I'd probably buy it, but if I'm going to be spending $600-1000 on a desk I'd rather have it be exactly what I want it to be, know it's well-constructed, and put some of that money in the pocket of a local fabricator.

[/portland idealist]

I'll be impressed if you get a desk made of wood for that price.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

TheJeffers posted:

Living like poo poo.

I really need that Gesture in my life.

Duck and Cover posted:

Not all carpenters are expensive.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 9, 2014

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Quote isn't edit

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 9, 2014

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Duck and Cover posted:

It's not like I'm expecting to get a solid black walnut slab desk built for $500. but I know a nice sheet of walnut veneer'd 3/4" multiply doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I also know a few carpenters so I'm sure I can get a friend's rate.

I'm sure it'll depend in no small part on how many drawers I'd want and how complicated I get but if it's all simple cuts and joinery I'm pretty sure I can get it done affordably and still be happier with it than I would be with something made of particle board.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

I really need that Gesture in my life.

Not all carpenters are expensive.

Sure but I figured he wanted drawers/solid hardwood which adds up. Now knowing someone personally will of course help. Oh and http://laxseries.com/work_and_study/freestanding_desk.html is a piece of poo poo no one buy it.

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

Getting rid of this setup when I move into a new place soon.

I need ideas for a desk big enough to fit all my stuff on one sleek surface that's low enough to not need a pull-out keyboard tray. I need to fit everything pictured, plus:

• a HOTAS and rudder pedals underneath the desk (going to toss out that monstrosity I have now)
  • another 24" monitor (no room at the moment)
  • a headset stand

I'll stand the PS3 on it's side and the subwoofer will be going back on the floor, as nature intended.

I also don't want overhead storage or any drawers or shelves. I'm half tempted to build my own drat desk out of plywood and throw a piece of plexiglass over top of it to give a smoother surface.

Ideas?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
My suggestion (at least to anyone who has an IKEA nearby) is pretty much always GALANT. Sturdy, attractive (as far as desks go), and extensible.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Safetyland posted:

Getting rid of this setup when I move into a new place soon.

I need ideas for a desk big enough to fit all my stuff on one sleek surface that's low enough to not need a pull-out keyboard tray. I need to fit everything pictured, plus:

• a HOTAS and rudder pedals underneath the desk (going to toss out that monstrosity I have now)
  • another 24" monitor (no room at the moment)
  • a headset stand

I'll stand the PS3 on it's side and the subwoofer will be going back on the floor, as nature intended.

I also don't want overhead storage or any drawers or shelves. I'm half tempted to build my own drat desk out of plywood and throw a piece of plexiglass over top of it to give a smoother surface.

Ideas?

Subwoofers are supposed to go on the floor, you know. You aren't getting the most out of it by having it up there. Put it on the floor, in a corner, or to one side of the desk.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

Subwoofers are supposed to go on the floor, you know. You aren't getting the most out of it by having it up there. Put it on the floor, in a corner, or to one side of the desk.

Read his post?

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

Yeah, like I said, it doesn't belong up there. I had to jam all this poo poo into a small room instead of keeping it in it's natural living room habitat. The real estate agent said it would stage better that way.

Up went the subwoofer and down went my pride.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Safetyland posted:

Yeah, like I said, it doesn't belong up there. I had to jam all this poo poo into a small room instead of keeping it in it's natural living room habitat. The real estate agent said it would stage better that way.

Up went the subwoofer and down went my pride.

not the first real estate guy i've ran into that was a weekend warrior sound engineer heh.

i'm a fan of the frederik desks myself, plent of space for dual monitors, those speakers and a banana hanger.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Hurray for a new desk.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Like! Very clean.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

benisntfunny posted:

Hurray for a new desk.

This same desk is at a local open box store for $260. Is it worth it?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Don Lapre posted:

This same desk is at a local open box store for $260. Is it worth it?

Renate desk? gently caress. I paid $525.

It's very sturdy and feels solid. If it matches your style then yes I would go buy it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

benisntfunny posted:

Renate desk? gently caress. I paid $525.

It's very sturdy and feels solid. If it matches your style then yes I would go buy it.

Yep that's the one. Been eyeballing it a few weeks now. Its a store that buys up open items from amazon and overstock and places.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
That tabletop is really nice. Whole room is nice actually.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Well since I got me my usb cord I guess I can show my new keyboard.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

That is one drat fine hunk of wood.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

El Scotch posted:

That is one drat fine hunk of wood.

Seconding. You guys have some tasteful desks.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

Might I ask what monitor arm that is? I've been thinking of getting one to claim some more space on my desk.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

Might I ask what monitor arm that is? I've been thinking of getting one to claim some more space on my desk.
Ergotron LX Desk Mount LCD Arm, Tall Pole

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Just out of curiosity how tall are you that your monitor is that much higher than your keyboard?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Duck and Cover posted:

You gotta hide dem wires. Bring them down the back of the mount. And that speaker wire.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

Where did you get that clock?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Duck and Cover posted:

Looks slick. But get those speakers on some acoustic foam wedges to isolate them and bring them closer to your ear level.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

You gotta hide dem wires. Bring them down the back of the mount. And that speaker wire.

I ain't touching that speaker wire, so loving finicky. It works both speakers play that's good enough for me for now. Oh and I'm lazy but yeah I should run them down the mount.

Nephzinho posted:

http://flip-clock.net/flipclock_QT30T.html

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Nephzinho posted:

If you can live with not having an authentic (out of stock?) one then there are plenty of cheapies on DealExtreme.
I've seen them at Smiggle (trap sprung) too.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

~Coxy posted:

If you can live with not having an authentic (out of stock?) one then there are plenty of cheapies on DealExtreme.
I've seen them at Smiggle (trap sprung) too.

The cheapie ones on Dealextreme are ugly urmph/boring! Ebay does have interesting vintage flip clocks as well as someone selling twemcos (as well as the same ones you see on dealextreme). The choices for flip clocks are pretty limited.

I had a link to something I liked on ebay but perhaps I won't link to it and instead purchase/have purchased for me.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 23, 2014

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

TenementFunster posted:

just buy a loving envelop already

This desk is actually really small (in usable surface area) and specialized. It would be cool in an office that has other surfaces for things besides a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

krooj posted:

This desk is actually really small (in usable surface area) and specialized. It would be cool in an office that has other surfaces for things besides a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
yeah it owns. park a short file cabinet next to it if you need more space for your anime figurines and empty ramen noodle cups

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Today I found out that Ikea discontinued the Beech colored Galant desk. This is incredibly disappointing to me.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

I had a link to something I liked on ebay but perhaps I won't link to it and instead purchase/have purchased for me.

Failure now I'm sad http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-NEON-GR...=p2047675.l2557

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Today I found out that Ikea discontinued the Beech colored Galant desk. This is incredibly disappointing to me.

Why in the world would they discontinue their most beautiful desk by far, especially before I decided to buy one.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

Why in the world would they discontinue their most beautiful desk by far, especially before I decided to buy one.

drat maybe you can use one of their standalone table tops that's beech finished or raw. Or just get the frame and legs and supply your own top. loving stupid either way.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Maybe they're in the process of rolling out a Galant successor and ran out of the beech stuff first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
That's usually what happens when they discontinue something popular. The successor is often not as good though, and occasionally the line just disappears, ie Jerker -> Frederik -> nothing.