Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

Tim Brando is leaving CBS. This is notable for two reasons: 1) He's terrible, so yay 2) He had a huge role in CBS Sports, being one of the primary anchors for SEC football and March Madness, as well as calling games during the NCAA Tournament.

CBS also has no backup plan now if Verne's heart ever explodes, which isn't unrealistic.

There goes half of CBS Sports Network's weekday content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
If this leads to Verne also leaving the public eye, I consider whatever happens a rousing success.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Eh, they'll just find a way to clone Nantz 20 times so he can do all the big broadcasts.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

Tim Brando is leaving CBS. This is notable for two reasons: 1) He's terrible
How dare you

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Benne posted:

Eh, they'll just find a way to clone Nantz 20 times so he can do all the big broadcasts.

Dear. God. No.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

Dear. God. No.

Jim Nantz being the "source" that called the PGA about Tiger's alleged "cheat" drop at one of the majors last year was the most Jim Nantz loving thing.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
My favorite part about the Final Four is when Nantz does the Masters promos and you can tell by his voice that he's getting aroused.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

More painfully haughty/milquetoast/pearl-clutching/white broadcaster: Jim Nantz or Bob Costas?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Definitely Nantz because of the Masters

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

ElwoodCuse posted:

Definitely Nantz because of the Masters

I get the impression that Bob Costas at least watches and enjoys lots of sports. I think Nantz lives only for golf

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nantz's "hello friends..." opening of every broadcast pretty well solidifies that as well.

Declan MacManus posted:

I get the impression that Bob Costas at least watches and enjoys lots of sports.

Yeah he seems to really get into everything when the Olympics roll around, more than just a casual/passing interest, anyway.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Benne posted:

My favorite part about the Final Four is when Nantz does the Masters promos and you can tell by his voice that he's getting aroused.

He is legitimately way more excited to talk about the Masters than he is to call a buzzer beater. Him calling the Final Four while Gus Johnson, who personifies everything great about March Madness, sat on the bench was an embarassing misuse of resources.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 16 days!)

Sash! posted:

I am a major capitalist but I'm so tired of cross-promotion and branding because it feels so forced. If it was subtle, it would be magnificent and I would celebrate it. But no I'll be home visiting family and they'll be watching the NASCAR because they turned into hillbillies after I moved away and I loving swear I will stab a dog the next time I hear that gibbering redneck say "SUNOCO RACING FUEL" or whatever instead of...you know...gas. Like a sane person would be allowed to say.

Not literally stab a dog. Figuratively.

Everyone hates "Sunoco Racing Fuel and 4 Goodyear Tires", you don't have to be a so-fist-icated fancy pants cityboy.

Marvin_Gardens
May 25, 2005

DJExile posted:

Nantz's "hello friends..." opening of every broadcast pretty well solidifies that as well.

Yeah he seems to really get into everything when the Olympics roll around, more than just a casual/passing interest, anyway.

For a sec when you said "hello friends" I thought you were talking about David Lynch and I realized he's the one who should be doing the Masters instead

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Marvin_Gardens posted:

For a sec when you said "hello friends" I thought you were talking about David Lynch and I realized he's the one who should be doing the Masters instead

holy poo poo that would own

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

That thing I alluded to was merely some management changes at ESPN. Nobody got fired.

Here's the official list of NBC Olympic commentators:

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2014/01/14/nbc-olympics-announces-talent-roster-for-sochi-olympic-winter-games-record-84-commentators/

Probably not brought up before is that Nancy Kerrigan is going to contribute. She's not that easy to get for obvious reasons.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Along those lines, ESPN is doing a 30 for 30 on the Kerrigan/Harding attack.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Tim Brando is perfectly fine and is going to own on the SEC Network (if that rumor comes true). Jim Nantz might as well broadcast most sporting events from his house for how much he phones things in.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

This is where I say that a network should think outside the box and hire Gilbert Gottfried.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

AsInHowe posted:

As someone who doesn't watch Family Guy or most anything on TV other than sports, all I can think of is all of those named shows that were hyped beyond belief on MLB playoff telecasts in the last decade.

Bob's Burgers and Allen Gregory saw lots of promotion during NFL on FOX games prior to their premieres. As Martytoof and any others that posted in the Allen Gregory thread on TVIV way back when can tell you, despite Joe Buck or Kenny Albert telling me it was something to watch, we all hated the show three minutes in.

And then kept watching because apparently we all hate ourselves and were sucked into Jonah Hill's borderline offensive awfulness.

(Bob's Burgers also sucks.)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

CBJSprague24 posted:

Bob's Burgers and Allen Gregory saw lots of promotion during NFL on FOX games prior to their premieres. As Martytoof and any others that posted in the Allen Gregory thread on TVIV way back when can tell you, despite Joe Buck or Kenny Albert telling me it was something to watch, we all hated the show three minutes in.

And then kept watching because apparently we all hate ourselves and were sucked into Jonah Hill's borderline offensive awfulness.

(Bob's Burgers also sucks.)

You were doing so well up until that last sentence. Bob's Burgers owns.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Jonah Hill has actually became a "decent to good" actor recently.

I have no idea what happened, but after "Moneyball" he seemed to really get better. (21 Jump Street is a decent watch for example).

I need to go see how "Wolf of Wall Street" is.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
It's excellent, and Hill is hilarious in it.

RalphTheWonderLlama
Jan 23, 2006

Baseball is serious business.
Good catch, Burke.

http://deadspin.com/butt-1502598064

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

My kid and his roommate can be seen rushing the court on ESPN it owns

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
NFL Network moved fast after Darren Sharper's arrest and rape charges. They suspended him indefinitely and removed his bio from the website.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Benne posted:

NFL Network moved fast after Darren Sharper's arrest and rape charges. They suspended him indefinitely and removed his bio from the website.

Hold m'DIIIIIIIIIIIIICK

i will forever think that anytime i hear or read his name

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

DJExile posted:

Hold m'DIIIIIIIIIIIIICK

Probably what his victims think too!

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

DJExile posted:

Hold m'DIIIIIIIIIIIIICK

OH poo poo! DARREN SHAWPWUH! ONE OF DA HARDEST HITTIN SAFETIES IN DA LEEEEEAGUE!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Michelle Beadle is going back to ESPN. Way to gently caress up that relationship, NBC.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20140121/michelle-beadle-espn-return-nbc/

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I want Beadle & Bomani to be a thing on my television.

RalphTheWonderLlama
Jan 23, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

I want Beadle & Bomani to be a thing on my television.

This is one thing that would help make me miss cable.

Michael Kay's radio show has improved over the years, but even when he was more of an idiot, she helped make it an excellent show to drive home to.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Let's start the NBC Olympic-bashing early. This is a great article on how they're sucking up to Lolo Jones, especially with Lindsey Vonn pulling out. And apparently she was favored to make the bobsled team over someone more qualified:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/66954036/lolo-jones-is-new-olympics-face-for-nbc

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

Let's start the NBC Olympic-bashing early. This is a great article on how they're sucking up to Lolo Jones, especially with Lindsey Vonn pulling out. And apparently she was favored to make the bobsled team over someone more qualified:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/66954036/lolo-jones-is-new-olympics-face-for-nbc

That girl's dad is pretty loving hilariously petty. Lauryn Williams made the team and she's got less experience than Lolo Jones, but you don't see her name anywhere in that article because nobody is going to listen to him cry about Lauryn Williams.

I'm sure he's upset for his daughter, but the fact of the matter is that the only real edge Katie Eberling has over Lolo is that she's been doing it longer. Lolo has less track time but she's performed more than adequately in competition, her performance ceiling is surely quite higher given that she's an Olympic sprinter (and a high caliber one at that) and she's bringing dollars to a program that's perpetually in need of funding. People can question the last thing on that list all they want, but it matters if they want to stay competitive.

She's a much better athlete and in a role where you're basically just pushing as hard and as fast as you can, I don't know who wouldn't take a sprinter of Lolo's caliber so long as she's competent in everything else, which she seems to be.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 23, 2014

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Selena Roberts thinks the Karolyis pick their gymnasts based on how they'll play in the media???

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

leokitty posted:

Selena Roberts thinks the Karolyis pick their gymnasts based on how they'll play in the media???

Because if there's one thing the old Iron Curtain was known for it was PR skills.

RalphTheWonderLlama
Jan 23, 2006

As long as I get to see some sweet curling action its all good.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I thought the Karolyi method was to pick based on performance over say the year instead of one event. I know the figure skating selections were scrutinized but I don't necessarily think that's a bad path to take. Wagner has a much better resume and is likely a better figure skater than the woman she was selected over. Choosing over one performance as opposed to the culmination of many seems unfair to me. Isn't the US one of the few countries that did it that way?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

RalphTheWonderLlama posted:

As long as I get to see some sweet curling action its all good.

Yeah curling is still going to be live and uncut on like MSNBC or something right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Niwrad posted:

I thought the Karolyi method was to pick based on performance over say the year instead of one event. I know the figure skating selections were scrutinized but I don't necessarily think that's a bad path to take. Wagner has a much better resume and is likely a better figure skater than the woman she was selected over. Choosing over one performance as opposed to the culmination of many seems unfair to me. Isn't the US one of the few countries that did it that way?

I don't know how everyone else does it but you're right about the U.S. in those sports. Karolyi knows drat well if he stacked that team with known gymnasts who were washed up, the network wouldn't give a drat how popular they were because they'd stink it up on TV. Success is what drives the TV product, so even if he was trying to kiss the network's rear end, the argument Roberts is making still wouldn't make sense.

People like Selena Roberts just like to sensationalize those decisions when they can and create this false narrative around television because it's not as interesting to say that Wagner is just a better overall skater on average. Roberts has always been a loving awful hack of a writer so this comes as no surprise.