Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pretty minor, but pissed me off.

Coming up to a red light, in the right lane. Nobody in front of me, and I was turning right, figured I'd do the "you can turn right on red after a complete stop" bit.

Put on my right signal as I'm coming up to the light.

The car in the next lane swerves hard into my lane, close enough that I had to hit the brakes decently.

Then sits at the light. And changes back into the next lane once the light turns green and he's cleared the intersection.

I guess Mr Volvo thought nobody should turn right on red on his watch? :fuckoff:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

The Midniter posted:

Was this car park on any sort of slope? Sometimes if I'm parked on a grade and backing out of a spot, I'll just leave it in neutral and coast backward rather than put it in reverse. If he didn't have any lights on, that would explain why no reverse lights came on either.

It was on a slope so that would explain the reversing lights, but they did have to stop and pull forward to get out of the car park though so there should have been brake lights visible at some point which there weren't.

Though the whole car not having lights thing pales in comparison to the fact I've seen a motorcyclist doing wheelies at 80mph through town the past few days.
This idiot will sit at traffic lights just revving the engine like a knobhead before pulling off, often when the light is still red, and does wheelies through built up pedestrian areas. Apparently he's been reported to police a few times, but I'm very surprised he's not killed someone yet.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Raluek posted:

Ugh. If that was a less cool car my reaction would be "wow, man, that sucks bad." but that's The Thunderbird. poo poo.

Also, I agree with the other poster who mentioned that it didn't look like a car did the damage. It's too irregular. All the other parking lot scrapes I've seen have been very clean, I don't know how you'd get that much wiggling from someone grazing it with a bumper or something.

The thing is the parking is covered parking, against a building. There is zero foot traffic between the cars as there's no where to go but into a wall. I can't explain the slight rise that appears to occur either but there's no reason for handtrucks, dollies, or anything really to be passing next to the car. That's why I park there. Maybe, it was someone with a wheelied laptop bag but to cause the paint crazing away from the scratch they'd have to lean on it big time. There was also white paint transfer.

If it had happened on the road I'm pretty drat sure I'd have heard it. I also washed it the day before and the scratch wasn't there then. The only driving I'd done was to my mom's house and parked safely in her driveway then to work. There was no place where else the car was placed that could get hit.

Whatcha gonna do? I said when I bought it that I wasn't going to let it be a garage queen. I was going to use it. These are the things that happen when you actually use your car for more than sitting pretty at a car show. Still sucks though.

I'm checking the lot twice daily looking for possible suspects though. Maybe I'll get lucky.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

So on my commute this morning the same woman came out in the road to stop traffic in front of the school.

Today was a cold but otherwise clear day so instead of a raincoat she was wearing a reflective vest.

Underneath that vest was her police officer's uniform. :smith:

loving entitled prick parents.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If you want people on your side a sure way to go about it is attacking children because you have to slow down for a bit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But it's not about children, it's about parents assuming extra privileges because their crotch fruit is too special to take the bus.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nsaP posted:

If you want people on your side a sure way to go about it is attacking children because you have to slow down for a bit.

If you missed it earlier they're stopping traffic so parents don't have to wait for traffic while exiting the school's parking lot, and causing major traffic snarls in the process.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

He didn't miss it, he's just trolling.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Geoj posted:

If you missed it earlier they're stopping traffic so parents don't have to wait for traffic while exiting the school's parking lot, and causing major traffic snarls in the process.

Nah if they don't do that then it backs up onto the road because school loops are only so big, making a bigger traffic problem.

I just must live somewhere where it's not being 'entitled' by not taking the bus?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

nsaP posted:

I just must live somewhere where it's not being 'entitled' by not taking the bus?

I recall my school repeatedly telling us that riding the bus was a privelege.

If we're gonna complain about kids though, I'm pretty upset that the bus on my road stops 4 times in under a quarter mile. And the parents that drive their kids to the end of the driveway.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

nsaP posted:

Nah if they don't do that then it backs up onto the road because school loops are only so big, making a bigger traffic problem.

Wrong. You're not "entitled" if you don't take the bus. Drop your kid off at school every day if that's what polishes your knob, I don't give a gently caress.

What is entitled, however, is the expectation that the rest of rush hour traffic has their commute put on hold because you and all the parents like you are too busy looking at your loving phones to pull out into traffic when there is ample space to do so, and the backup caused by that has forced the school to pay tax money to the police department to direct traffic when it was never an issue before. I've been making this exact commute for over a year, traffic from the school loop has never backed up into the actual roadway impeding through traffic (and still doesn't), so yeah, I feel justified in my irritation.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I never rode a bus to school because there was always some bullshit reason, grade school I lived too close, middle school the driving and walking distance was too far but as the bird flys I was too close. Lately, it's just loving impossible to get a bus to the stop on time, for my sister's kids their bus was 45min late every morning until about two weeks ago. School in my own was almost canceled today due to excessive wind chill, down to -15F, being "too dangerous" for kids who have to walk to and wait at a bus stop. If the weather and time aren't enough, a school bus in one of the most common places for bullying at school, put 40+ kids in a box all being watched over only by 1 driver who is focusing on not killing everyone doing 60MPH on the interstate while assholes cut them bus constantly. I can understand why parents choose to drive their kids instead of messing around with a bus. I don't mind waiting on parents if they act sensible. School parking lots are where the shittiest drivers in town all convene on one spot, at exactly 7:25am every morning, they need all the help they can get to try to improve the traffic disaster.

That said, I was late to work this morning because some bitch in my apartment complex had to go start her car, and pull out of the parking spot 10 feet away so she could park behind my car and directly next to her apartment door. It wasn't raining or snowing, hell it was only 6F (with wind chill) but her darling special snow flake couldn't loving walk 10 feet to the car, she had to have the door inches away from the door to her apartment. No matter how much I needed to leave, it didn't matter. I walked to school a lot, I biked to and from school in the rain, and if my Mom did take me to school she made sure to drop me off as far away as possible. Unrelated, but my grade school had multiple entrances all locked in the morning, I had to walk all the way around the whole building in the rain. And for years my grade school's playground was a death trap where kids would get stuck in the jungle gym or pinch their fingers on the bridge :black101: kids these days need to man up.

VVV That sound's retarded, was there no possible way for there to be a crosswalk or a way for the driver to just go around a block to get facing in the right direction?

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 23, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Deeters posted:

If we're gonna complain about kids though, I'm pretty upset that the bus on my road stops 4 times in under a quarter mile. And the parents that drive their kids to the end of the driveway.

I always thought parents driving their kids to the end of the driveway was a myth til I lived in an apartment complex where someone would drive their kid to the bus stop in the apartment complex parking lot and just sit there idling until the bus came. I almost made sense in the winter, but they did it all year long.

I'm still pissed after almost 20 years (really? gently caress, I'm old) that I had to take the bus in Middle School for the 0.6 miles to my house because it was on the other side of a busy road. The route the bus took made my stop the very last stop and it would take 40 minutes to get home. That's an average speed of 0.9 mph... I sometimes was able to sneak away and walk (the teachers were supposed to make sure that all the bus kids got on the bus) and with the ten minutes we had to wait (they would wait til the buses left before letting the rest of the kids walk) and the time we'd blow at 7-11 playing Mortal Kombat, I'd still get home in half the time.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 23, 2014

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
A lot of schools these days require that the kids are dropped off and picked up but they didn't think of the ramifications of forcing hundreds of cars to all come at the same time.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The correct attitude to other people's children is that of a particularly irritable Pak Protector.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Dead Cow posted:

A lot of schools these days require that the kids are dropped off and picked up but they didn't think of the ramifications of forcing hundreds of cars to all come at the same time.

Yeah, they put a school in my parent's neighbourhood without any concern for the traffic it would cause. It's predictably hellish at pickup and drop-off times, and the worst part is, even though there are crossing guards to keep the kids safe, they still routinely jaywalk so even when cars are supposed to be allowed to pass, there are pedestrians in the way. There's also no "loop" for loading and unloading, so you have a bunch of people doing illegal u-turns in some very bizarre places, despite the fact that you can get back to the main roads by proceeding straight ahead no matter which direction you came from. How it ever got planning permission is beyond me.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I drive my daughter to school because my bitch ex wife moved 30 miles away after I bought my condo. But yeah the other parents are loving outrageous. The school itself did a really good job with a wide street and a large bus stop area with a huge parking lot loop that has both ample parking and waiting areas and a smooth flow. And they stagger elementary vs junior high starting times so the traffic comes in phases.

But that doesn't stop half the parents from hogging the bus dropoff area, DOUBLE PARKING in the bus dropoff area, DOING loving UNSIGNALED U-TURNS in the bus drop off area, PARKING ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE AND MAKING THEIR KIDS JAYWALK through the bus drop off area, and PARKING IN THE CENTER TURN LANE AND MAKING THEIR KIDS OPEN THE DOOR INTO TRAFFIC AND THEN JAYWALK through the bus drop off area.

I actually hope some kid gets run down so they get some cops out there to enforce the rules. It's total mayhem and makes picking up my kid like driving through a loving combat zone.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PT6A posted:

How it ever got planning permission is beyond me.

Saying no to anything child related tends to be a political kiss of death.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
It's a school version of this, essentially.

This morning, got to watch an SUV bomb along doing 30+ mph along a residential side street, slow down (but not down to 25, even) to blow through a stop sign while making a right turn onto a busy through street (right through the crosswalk I was about to enter) and then hammer down up the road again.

And all this at 0655, still fairly dark, in a neighborhood where fucktards (hobos, meth monkeys, drunks, college kids and underage students at the church school in that block) are wandering/biking/running around in the streets, usually wearing dark clothing (and if biking, with no lights/reflectors).

(edited to add bold text forgotten in original post)

Zamboni Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 24, 2014

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That alone isn't anything wrong.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 22, 2018

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Krakkles posted:

Boo hoo people drive "fast".

On residential/side streets? gently caress you if you speed in those areas. The neighborhood I live in does not have sidewalks on all the side streets, so when I am out walking my dog I am forced to walk in the street. Despite doing everything I can to be seen(wearing clothes with reflective stripes, flashing light on my leash, flashing light on my dogs harness, walking against traffic, etc), I have almost been hit by cars easily doing 30+ on the side streets. basically gently caress you if you feel the need to speed in residential areas, I hope you learn your lesson before you kill someone.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I don't have any residential areas other than my old neighborhood where the speed limit is less than 35. Rarely 30 or even less so 25 (my old neighborhood).

So, yeah, 30+ is pretty much nbd.

Thank you for wearing reflective gear. I nearly killed the president of the HOA and her friends in my mom's neighborhood one night because they thought it was a brilliant idea to waltz down the middle of the road at 22:30 with no reflective gear on a corner. Also nearly killed a cop standing in the road on a highway as well. Black uniforms at 02:30 where the limit is 65 and no reflective gear? I almost wouldn't feel bad for punting you 100 yards. Idiots.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Beach Bum posted:

I don't have any residential areas other than my old neighborhood where the speed limit is less than 35. Rarely 30 or even less so 25 (my old neighborhood).

So, yeah, 30+ is pretty much nbd.

Thank you for wearing reflective gear. I nearly killed the president of the HOA and her friends in my mom's neighborhood one night because they thought it was a brilliant idea to waltz down the middle of the road at 22:30 with no reflective gear on a corner. Also nearly killed a cop standing in the road on a highway as well. Black uniforms at 02:30 where the limit is 65 and no reflective gear? I almost wouldn't feel bad for punting you 100 yards. Idiots.

All non arterial streets in my area have a 25mph speed limit unless otherwise posted. I tend to drive closer to 20mph just because I know there are lots of kids in the area and I have had people run out into the road in front of me before.

I am extra paranoid about getting hit when I am walking my dog, especially because I have a dachshund so she is low to the ground and hard to see. Hence the flashing red light on me around waist level and another on her harness. I already lost one dog to a car, I am not losing the one I still have.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Well that sucks to hear about your dog--I was recently almost hit by a douche while walking my dog because he wanted to do a U-turn drift or some stupid poo poo right in the middle of a loving crosswalk.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I don't walk my dogs down my (residential, no sidewalks, marked 25 MPH) street because 1) pretty much everyone who drives on it uses it as a shortcut and doesn't live in the area 2) its about two miles between a traffic light and where it dead-ends into another street without stop signs and 3) the local police department can't be bothered to set up a speed trap with any regularity to reign people in a bit. As a result you can stand in my front yard for 20 minutes and count the number of cars doing under 45 MPH on one hand.

I've had more than one road-raging rear end in a top hat try to follow me into my driveway because I hugely inconvenienced them by going 30 MPH for the ~4 blocks from the nearest intersection to my driveway.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think what some people are missing is that there's a big difference in "residential" streets depending on where you're at (and even neighborhood-to-neighborhood). In metro Phoenix, older neighborhoods will have 25MPH limits and the narrowest streets will still support this safely. Some of the wider streets will still be posted 25 but realistically 30 isn't going to have you mowing people down.

On the other hand new(er) developments where they're cramming as many homes into as little area as possible, often are using streets that would've been considered too small for two lanes in the past. They'll be signed 15MPH and no sane person would feel comfortable exceeding that by any significant amount, especially if there's any cars parked on it.

Then you get the midwest - the parts of Indianapolis and Kansas City that I've been through have roads that act the part of arterials, even though you're surrounded by houses and even have some residential driveways on them. They're usually signed for faster than 25, though.

Geoj: That sounds like a massive failure of city / neighborhood planning. If it's that bad, time to lobby for some serious reconstruction. There was a road in my neighborhood growing up that was a typical small residential street, except that it went in a ruler-straight line for half a mile and only had a gentle S-curve in the last 1/4 mile... and went past a high school. So it was a common thing to have kids flying down that road at 45-50 to avoid the majority of the traffic on the main road that the school was also on. Enough lobbying to the city got them to cut the road in half with a giant landscaped section - pedestrians and bikes can get through on the sidewalks, but nothing bigger. Still useful to the people who actually live on it, but no longer viable as a shortcut.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think what some people are missing is that there's a big difference in "residential" streets depending on where you're at (and even neighborhood-to-neighborhood). In metro Phoenix, older neighborhoods will have 25MPH limits and the narrowest streets will still support this safely. Some of the wider streets will still be posted 25 but realistically 30 isn't going to have you mowing people down.

On the other hand new(er) developments where they're cramming as many homes into as little area as possible, often are using streets that would've been considered too small for two lanes in the past. They'll be signed 15MPH and no sane person would feel comfortable exceeding that by any significant amount, especially if there's any cars parked on it.

Then you get the midwest - the parts of Indianapolis and Kansas City that I've been through have roads that act the part of arterials, even though you're surrounded by houses and even have some residential driveways on them. They're usually signed for faster than 25, though.
See also my favourite subset of this (as evidenced on my own street): Small side street that should really be a 20? 30 limit, generally unenforced. Main road running parallel which could be a 40 (and was specifically designed to be expandable to a dual carriageway if required)? 30 limit, smile for the camera van.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

IOwnCalculus posted:

Geoj: That sounds like a massive failure of city / neighborhood planning. If it's that bad, time to lobby for some serious reconstruction. There was a road in my neighborhood growing up that was a typical small residential street, except that it went in a ruler-straight line for half a mile and only had a gentle S-curve in the last 1/4 mile... and went past a high school. So it was a common thing to have kids flying down that road at 45-50 to avoid the majority of the traffic on the main road that the school was also on. Enough lobbying to the city got them to cut the road in half with a giant landscaped section - pedestrians and bikes can get through on the sidewalks, but nothing bigger. Still useful to the people who actually live on it, but no longer viable as a shortcut.

Unfortunately there are homes along the entire length of the road so it would be a massive inconvenience to people living at the far end - the near end (to me) links up with a US route that eventually turns into an interstate and is the main artery to the nearest grocery store, etc. I think it largely comes down to a massive failure on the part of local law enforcement - running a speed trap would be like shooting fish in a barrel - and the street department to a point, I'm sure putting a few stop signs in at cross streets would make a noticeable improvement.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Negromancer posted:

On residential/side streets? gently caress you if you speed in those areas. The neighborhood I live in does not have sidewalks on all the side streets, so when I am out walking my dog I am forced to walk in the street. Despite doing everything I can to be seen(wearing clothes with reflective stripes, flashing light on my leash, flashing light on my dogs harness, walking against traffic, etc), I have almost been hit by cars easily doing 30+ on the side streets. basically gently caress you if you feel the need to speed in residential areas, I hope you learn your lesson before you kill someone.

There are a couple of places that I go where the speed limit is 50mph.

And it's residents/farms right there. I've killed quite a pile of critters on that road because people are too lazy to fence in their chickens, ducks, geese, some fuzzy critters that almost look like beavers but aren't. Also had someone on a sidestreet run the stop sign and pull out in front of me on a scooter while not wearing a helmet. If there is something funnier than the looks on some idiot's face when they see what they've done, I haven't seen it.

Best part was after the fucker got done doing a lawn job, he got mad as gently caress at me. Some places will keep the speed limits up that high when people buy out a farm and try and turn in into a mini burb as some kind of only the strongest shall grow to breeding age or something.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
Sorry for the cell phone pic, but I saw this on the way home on US 41 (business)

For those who can't see through the painful lo-fi, the entire right sight of that car is smashed right the gently caress in. When I was directly behind him the rear, center and front pillars on the passenger side formed a massive W. Florida could REALLY used safety inspections...

[edit] windshield was spiderwebbed with cracks, mirrors falling out of their holders, non working lights, etc. just about everything that could be wrong with a car, was wrong with this one.

11BulletCatcher fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 24, 2014

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

I drive my daughter to school because my bitch ex wife moved 30 miles away after I bought my condo. But yeah the other parents are loving outrageous. The school itself did a really good job with a wide street and a large bus stop area with a huge parking lot loop that has both ample parking and waiting areas and a smooth flow. And they stagger elementary vs junior high starting times so the traffic comes in phases.

But that doesn't stop half the parents from hogging the bus dropoff area, DOUBLE PARKING in the bus dropoff area, DOING loving UNSIGNALED U-TURNS in the bus drop off area, PARKING ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE AND MAKING THEIR KIDS JAYWALK through the bus drop off area, and PARKING IN THE CENTER TURN LANE AND MAKING THEIR KIDS OPEN THE DOOR INTO TRAFFIC AND THEN JAYWALK through the bus drop off area.

I actually hope some kid gets run down so they get some cops out there to enforce the rules. It's total mayhem and makes picking up my kid like driving through a loving combat zone.

So many parents care only about their loving kid and will not even think twice about running over someone else kid if it saves them 2 seconds. I routinely see morons in SUVs just floor their vehicle right out side the school doors because gently caress you my baby is on board. Bus loading zones are a joke, one of the local high schools invested in paving a nice new area for all the buses to park, that lasted about 6 months. By providing a good spot near a pair of doors for the buses to park, every single god damned parent decided that was their drop off zone, school officials and even cops could not stop them from entering it, finally the parents lobbied the school board enough to take away the bus loading zone. Now, only staff park in the bus loading zone, buses park and drop off in the middle of the main parking lot, parents drop off their crotch fruit in the very same lines with all the buses and calamity ensues.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

It's a school version of this, essentially.

This morning, got to watch an SUV bomb along doing 30+ mph along a residential side street, slow down (but not down to 25, even) while making a right turn onto a busy through street (right through the crosswalk I was about to enter) and then hammer down up the road again.

And all this at 0655, still fairly dark, in a neighborhood where fucktards (hobos, meth monkeys, drunks, college kids and underage students at the church school in that block) are wandering/biking/running around in the streets, usually wearing dark clothing (and if biking, with no lights/reflectors).

The shittiest thing about cross walks is how they let you cross when the traffic going in the same direction has a green light. If your crossing north to south, the traffic going to north to south has a green light, and if the traffic going north to south can make a right turn, they will make that turn and enjoy running you over in the process. The last time that happened to me, a BMW came screeching to a stop while coming around the corner (which is by no means a blind corner) they laid on their horn, I flipped them off (that was probably stupid), they revved the poo poo out of their motor, they pretended like they were going to run me over, and then did a burn out as they cut into the next lane to get around me.

Most residential streets in my area are 30MPH, but most of them also have sidewalks and are wide enough to have a car parked on the side and still comfortable fit two cars through. What sucks is the older main roads used to be residential so you end up with a 4 lane 35MPH road (naturally traffic is going about 50. . .) with old narrow one car driveways and people trying to back out in the street. Every time I drive down the main residential roads I am so grateful I don't live there, they are beautiful old houses but that parking is just :suicide: .

quote:

"Hello, I'm the guy you hit on the bicycle."

The man then locked the car doors and went into his home. Gove, whose body had gone most of the way through the windshield, then pulled his knees and feet into the car. "I righted myself and got out," he said. "I unlocked the passenger's side door and started walking down the street."

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

The Midniter posted:

Wrong. You're not "entitled" if you don't take the bus. Drop your kid off at school every day if that's what polishes your knob, I don't give a gently caress.

What is entitled, however, is the expectation that the rest of rush hour traffic has their commute put on hold because you and all the parents like you are too busy looking at your loving phones to pull out into traffic when there is ample space to do so, and the backup caused by that has forced the school to pay tax money to the police department to direct traffic when it was never an issue before. I've been making this exact commute for over a year, traffic from the school loop has never backed up into the actual roadway impeding through traffic (and still doesn't), so yeah, I feel justified in my irritation.

Alright well you kinda moved the goalposts from 'parent's getting preference at an intersection' to 'distracted parents blah blah' so whatever. I just work at a school like that with kids that get dropped off, so them getting chauffeured to the door is worth a bit more to me than you getting stopped for a few seconds.

Just think of it like that exit from the school turns into a traffic light for a half hour, twice a day. Is it so terrible? You had quite a bit of vitriol for the parents in your first complaint.

Ed: Oh I forgot, driving today I saw someone do an unusual, what us Kentuckians call a "Buckeye slide", cause Ohioans are the worst drivers ever(sure they say the same about us). Anyway, saw a dude do a buckeye slide, which is diving from a far left lane to an exit at the last second, usually cutting people off and barely making it. That's a normal thing that happens, what wasn't normal for me was that it was a 18-wheeler. Made a truck and another car brake hard and honestly barely made it himself without touching the barrier. I was scooting by in the left lane watching out my side windows to see if I was witnessing an accident. Usually truckers are the safest guys I see on the road but this guy was the exception.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 24, 2014

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Sounds like me when I play Euro Truck Simulator. You don't gently caress with a truck. :colbert:

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

nsaP posted:

Ed: Oh I forgot, driving today I saw someone do an unusual, what us Kentuckians call a "Buckeye slide", cause Ohioans are the worst drivers ever(sure they say the same about us).

I lived near Cincinnati for two years. I can say without hesitation that Indiana drivers make both Kentucky and Ohio drivers look like professionals.

but in the Kentucky-Ohio matchup Ohio is definitely worse

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Deeters posted:

I recall my school repeatedly telling us that riding the bus was a privelege.

My last year or two of high school they added a bunch of stops to my bus route, because parents requested it so that their little darling wouldn't have to walk an extra 200 feet. edit: It was usually the ones whose house was right on the main road. I was the 2nd to last stop getting off, and the 2nd stop getting on. It took almost an hour to get to school (about 4 miles) during that period. I really got to hating those kids' parents.

Colonel Sanders posted:

School in my own was almost canceled today due to excessive wind chill, down to -15F, being "too dangerous" for kids who have to walk to and wait at a bus stop.

I walked a half mile to the bus stop at -60. My kids are going to get some uphill both ways stories.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 24, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
That's not necessarily (directly) the parents' fault. We had laws that dictated the maximum distance kids could expected to walk, and while I imagine they vary by state, where I lived it was IIRC 1/15 of a mile (around a football field), and that was 20 years ago. That walk also couldn't include roads over XX MPH speed limit, etc. so it didn't take much for a kid to become that special snowflake with their own stop.

Sounds like in your case they needed more buses.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

nsaP posted:

Ed: Oh I forgot, driving today I saw someone do an unusual, what us Kentuckians call a "Buckeye slide", cause Ohioans are the worst drivers ever(sure they say the same about us). Anyway, saw a dude do a buckeye slide, which is diving from a far left lane to an exit at the last second, usually cutting people off and barely making it. That's a normal thing that happens, what wasn't normal for me was that it was a 18-wheeler. Made a truck and another car brake hard and honestly barely made it himself without touching the barrier. I was scooting by in the left lane watching out my side windows to see if I was witnessing an accident. Usually truckers are the safest guys I see on the road but this guy was the exception.

I find that a lot of times, the local truck drivers are kids barely old enough to get their CDL. About two weeks ago I watched a reefer pull the very same stunt you describe.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Krakkles posted:

Boo hoo people drive "fast".

I gotta stop posting-without-rereading when I get interrupted.

Edit to add useful info:

"This morning, got to watch an SUV bomb along doing 30+ mph along a residential side street, slow down (but not down to 25, even) to blow through a stop sign while making a right turn onto a busy through street (right through the crosswalk I was about to enter) and then hammer down up the road again."

I see rolling stops (IE, slow waaay down but not stop, then continue) all the time, but "gently caress you" stops like that are rare.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

VideoTapir posted:

My last year or two of high school they added a bunch of stops to my bus route, because parents requested it so that their little darling wouldn't have to walk an extra 200 feet. edit: It was usually the ones whose house was right on the main road. I was the 2nd to last stop getting off, and the 2nd stop getting on. It took almost an hour to get to school (about 4 miles) during that period. I really got to hating those kids' parents.

This was me in highschool. I was the second stop on the route and had to be waiting for the bus at 6 AM (usually came between 6:00 and 6:10,) however on the flip side I was the second stop to get off the bus - except when the driver decided to run the return route in reverse, which happened about twice a week.

After two years of doing this my parents just started driving me to school so I didn't have to get up every day at 5:30. My dad would either drop me off somewhat near the school and I would walk the remaining four blocks in or if he was heading in the right direction on a given morning (he worked as a field tech) right across the street from the main entrance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I gotta stop posting-without-rereading when I get interrupted.

Edit to add useful info:

"This morning, got to watch an SUV bomb along doing 30+ mph along a residential side street, slow down (but not down to 25, even) to blow through a stop sign while making a right turn onto a busy through street (right through the crosswalk I was about to enter) and then hammer down up the road again."

I see rolling stops (IE, slow waaay down but not stop, then continue) all the time, but "gently caress you" stops like that are rare.
Oh, well yeah, that's different.