Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Welcome to the Izod Indycar series 2014 season! I sure hope you believe in the phrase "less is more" because that's exactly what you're getting this year. In an effort to bolster ratings the season begins on March 30th and ends August 30th. The hope is that by avoiding football season, they can get better ratings, and run some international races in the "offseason" to help pay the bills. Also new this year is the inagural Grand Prix of Indianapolis, running around the IMS road course. Please use this thread to complain about returning to the glory days of Indycar/CART, make up your dream schedules, and discuss other various and sundry issues with Indycar as a whole!

Schedule

IRC
#ics on irc.synirc.com

Aero Kits
CONFIRMED FOR 2014 2015

The Road to Indy
Indycar has the "Road to Indy" ladder, which provides a path for drivers to move up the open wheel ranks to the Indycar Series proper. Several Indycar teams run teams in the lower series as well. Many of these series race on the same weekend as Indycar as support races.

Firestone Indy Lights - Indycar Minor Leagues, many of the current indycar drivers are Indy Lights graduates. Dallara Chassis, 3.5 Liter V8. New chassis/engine next year!

Star Mazda - Star Chassis, Mazda Renesis rotary engine

U.S. F2000 - Van Diemen Elan Chassis, Mazda MZR 4Cylinder

USAC Silver Crown / Midgets - While not officially part of the Road to Indy Ladder, many current and former open wheel drivers got their start in sprint cars.

The All American Soap Box Derby - They're open-wheel and have an indycar sticker, they count.

News and Blogs:
All Indycar "blogs" are terrible. Also fans on twitter.
http://www.indystar.com/irl

Twitter:
Just follow these lists

Previous Threads
Indiecar Series 2013: You Probably Haven't Heard of It
Indycar Series 2012: NASCAR Refugees Welcome!
Indycar Series 2011

Team Lineup:
TBD

Thread Rules
Bringing back the F1chat rule. We get it, Indycar is an inferior form of open-wheel compared to F1 and you'd love to tell us about it, but feel free to do that in the Worst Thread. Meanwhile, we'll enjoy some actual competition and close racing over here.

RIP Baltimore, Sao Paolo, Dario Franchitti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I hope Simona gets a decent ride :ohdear:

e: it's also rather telling that there is no mention of Izod anywhere on the Indycar website, I sure hope there's a new title sponsor soon otherwise we may be looking at the Indy 500 one-off oval dash as the series in the not to distant future.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 23, 2014

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

devmd01 posted:

e: it's also rather telling that there is no mention of Izod anywhere on the Indycar website, I sure hope there's a new title sponsor soon otherwise we may be looking at the Indy 500 one-off oval dash as the series in the not to distant future.

I thought they had multiple offers for title sponsorship?

Edit: Also IndyCar not Indycar :eng101:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Let's go the Hinch.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o
It appears that the IndyCar opening race is sharing the weekend with that other bastion of Motorsports, Champ Car.

I wonder how many are going to do double duty across both the series...

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

ellspurs posted:

It appears that the IndyCar opening race is sharing the weekend with that other bastion of Motorsports, Champ Car.

1. I didn't even know Champ Car still existed :iiam:
2. Champ Car is gonna be at Belle Isle the same time as IndyCar so I guess I'll get to see both in-person...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ellspurs posted:

somebody ended the Plourde reign of terror? That dude was a bigger shoe-in to win the title than Sebastian Loeb.

-----

not enough good tracks, not enough races, series needs more races, we all agree about that, but then the knives come out when it gets down to "where should those races be?"

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Here's a list of tracks where Champ Car runs but not IndyCar:

• Fundidora Park Raceway (Monterrey, Mexico)
  • Portland International Raceway
  • Circuit Mont-Tremblant (Mont-Tremblant, QC Canada)
  • Circuit Zolder (Heusden-Zolder, Belgium)
  • Circuito de Jerez Raceway (Jerez, Spain)
  • Road America
  • Circuit Gilles Villeneuve
  • Surfers Paradise Race Circuit (Queensland, Australia)
  • Bira International Circuit (Pattaya, Thailand)

Now granted Champ Car is all Road/Street courses, but if they can run at these tracks, why can't/won't IndyCar?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KingShibby posted:

Here's a list of tracks where Champ Car runs but not IndyCar:

• Fundidora Park Raceway (Monterrey, Mexico)
  • Portland International Raceway
  • Circuit Mont-Tremblant (Mont-Tremblant, QC Canada)
  • Circuit Zolder (Heusden-Zolder, Belgium)
  • Circuito de Jerez Raceway (Jerez, Spain)
  • Road America
  • Circuit Gilles Villeneuve
  • Surfers Paradise Race Circuit (Queensland, Australia)
  • Bira International Circuit (Pattaya, Thailand)

Now granted Champ Car is all Road/Street courses, but if they can run at these tracks, why can't/won't IndyCar?

I'm gonna guess "no money", "no sponsors," or "patently unsafe" (loving Pattaya? Really? Do you want all the drivers to die of STDs before they get on the plane back?)

[edit] now I'm wondering if you're in on the joke or not.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

I'm gonna guess "no money", "no sponsors," or "patently unsafe" (loving Pattaya? Really? Do you want all the drivers to die of STDs before they get on the plane back?)

[edit] now I'm wondering if you're in on the joke or not.

I don't think he is.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I predict within 5 years IndyCar ends up merging with ChampCar.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Well any joke that goes back further than last year I probably don't get. I literally didn't even know Champ Car still existed until this morning.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

quote:

The responses included one from a fun-loving Indy 500 driver who knows something about going fast and enjoying a party. Canadian James Hinchcliffe tweeted: "Hey Biebs, leave racing to the pros. And drinking to the grown ups."

:allears:

KingShibby posted:

Well any joke that goes back further than last year I probably don't get. I literally didn't even know Champ Car still existed until this morning.

That's funny I'm going to start up the FedEx Series again this year.

On RFactor.

Hint. Hint.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Champ Car is a fantasy league run by a dude named Mark Plourde.
edit:

The face of a 4-time champeen.

edit2: "Champ Car" news and scheduling has been a long running gag in the indycar thread.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 23, 2014

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
KingShibby, somehow when ChampCar folded, Mark Plourde bought the name and website assets. I'm pretty sure he has a minor mental illness of some kind, but who knows! I like how he always finishes ahead of his wife, no mechanical dnfs for him! :allears:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

devmd01 posted:

KingShibby, somehow when ChampCar folded, Mark Plourde bought the name and website assets. I'm pretty sure he has a minor mental illness of some kind, but who knows! I like how he always finishes ahead of his wife, no mechanical dnfs for him! :allears:

Holy poo poo this is the greatest possible story in terms of comedy gold unless Mark Plourde is a goon.

This also means that he'll be in Belle Isle so I'll have to seek him out and apply to Champ Car given my iRacing experience.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

devmd01 posted:

Mark Plourde does not have a mental illness. He's a robot, created when the crapwagon forums became sentient.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cannot Find Server posted:

Mark Plourde does not have a mental illness. He's a robot, created when the crapwagon forums became sentient.

Speaking of crapwagons, have you seen the website for Champ Car? It looks like something done as a high school assignment. Only thing it's missing is a pageview counter at the bottom of the page

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cannot Find Server posted:

Plourde being the creation of a single very lonely sentient crapwagon server is my favorite theory yet.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Looks like someone at SI must read this thread:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

They also still use IRL and not ICS or IndyCar.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I still use IRL and CART and I refuse to call tracks their new sponsored name bitter man etc

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IRL died the day they threw TG out. Praise be.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Bentai posted:

They also still use IRL and not ICS or IndyCar.

Just be glad its not under 'Other'.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

IRL died the day they threw TG out. Praise be.

CART died in 2002.

Sorry, but there is no "CART" without Roger, Michael, Bobby, and Chip. For as much as we cheer against the Red cars at times, they indeed MAKE a series, and make a series legitimate.

(To add the IRL wasn't exactly "legitimate" pre-2001 IMO).

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

go3 posted:

I refuse to call tracks their new sponsored name bitter man etc

I still call Sonoma "Sears Point" as it always will be to me :colbert:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FuzzySkinner posted:

CART died in 2002.

Sorry, but there is no "CART" without Roger, Michael, Bobby, and Chip. For as much as we cheer against the Red cars at times, they indeed MAKE a series, and make a series legitimate.

(To add the IRL wasn't exactly "legitimate" pre-2001 IMO).

It wasn't legitimate until at the very least 2003.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I do tip my hat to the IRL for surviving between 1996-2002.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

animeliker posted:

I do tip my hat to the IRL for surviving between 1996-2002.

A half billion of Clabber Girl bux helps.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

animeliker posted:

It wasn't legitimate until at the very least 2003.

2001 was the real turning point.

2001 you had Andretti, and Penske return to the 500. You had that classic race at TMS (ABSOLUTE LUNACY!), You had Hornish become the next big thin in AOWR, and the cars actually SOUNDED like Indycars.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Open wheel died when Montoya moonwalked all over IRL regulars in the 500 yet we spent another gazillion years with a split series

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

Plourde being the creation of a single very lonely sentient crapwagon server is my favorite theory yet.

That is a good one. I'm pretty sure the guy just fantasy books his own series and makes all the stuff for himself. But he also has the bravery to put it on the Internet, which means that The Internet (full of assholes like us) can find it.

I'm pretty sure Marshall Pruett or another of the writers brought it up/made a fun article out of it in 2012 or 2013, asking drivers their opinion too. Not sure how good-natured or understanding Plourde is of it (it all screams aspergers, after all) but at least it's not a huge secret anymore. If his CCWS does do any racing, it's all in rFactor or another game. Sorry, there's no series out there actually running.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

harperdc posted:

I'm pretty sure Marshall Pruett or another of the writers brought it up/made a fun article out of it in 2012 or 2013, asking drivers their opinion too.

Yeah, Pruett did this in either the '11 or '12 offseason for Speed, and it was quite funny.

If memory serves me, Plourde basically runs Tagliani's old black and red Rocketsports car.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I think I've convinced my NASCAR-lifer dad to spring for a paddock pass at the St Pete race. My folks usually visit here around my birthday in late March, so I'm just gonna ask for this as my gift.

How "open" is the access, when should we get there to get the best pic opportunities with drivers and cars, where should we park, etc? I live on the NW edge of St Pete so if the best access is on the south side or something, I'd like to know. We'll probably go to the paddock on Saturday and watch the race at home unless he's wowed by everything and we get race tickets.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm curious what Chip is going to do with Sage Karem.

I mean he's running him in the 24 hours this weekend, and I wonder if he's priming him to eventually run for him in Indy.

Problem is, there's no way in hell they're running 5 cars. That'd be rather unprecedented. (Andretti Autosport not withstanding).

Still, the move would be rather amazing if he could pull it off. Imagine if he finds a way to make his Stock car team actually relevant and able to run up front with Larson? The kid clearly has the talent to be something special.

You add in the fact that perhaps he's positioning Karem to run the 10 or 9 in a few years (potentially the 8 sooner), that could be an amazing thing for him.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

skaboomizzy posted:

I think I've convinced my NASCAR-lifer dad to spring for a paddock pass at the St Pete race. My folks usually visit here around my birthday in late March, so I'm just gonna ask for this as my gift.

How "open" is the access, when should we get there to get the best pic opportunities with drivers and cars, where should we park, etc? I live on the NW edge of St Pete so if the best access is on the south side or something, I'd like to know. We'll probably go to the paddock on Saturday and watch the race at home unless he's wowed by everything and we get race tickets.

IndyCar has one of the most fan-friendly paddocks in all of motorsports, you can walk right up to the cars as they're being prepared. Saturday is probably the better days to go hang out in the paddock actually, as typically drivers have a tight schedule on race day with driver meetings, team planning, sponsor commitments, and getting a quick nap in before the starting ceremonies. Look up the full schedule of events for the day, that will tell you where you need to be. Your best chance of getting pictures with the drivers is when they don't look busy. Really the coolest thing is just walking around and getting up close to the cars and seeing them worked on. There will be plenty of activities on Saturday, usually a couple of support races plus qualifying. Pay attention in the paddock and be ready to jump out of the way at any time, there are always scooters zipping through as well as cars getting rolled to/from the grid.

Get twitter, follow the lists in the op, and check it frequently throughout the day, you'll know a lot more about whats going on with the teams and drivers that way.

I don't know about the best entrance, there typically are only 2-3 on a street course to make it easier for crowd control/security. When I went I just parked at the Tropicana stadium parking lot and walked the 7 blocks, though I think there was also a shuttle.

e: also check the cooler policy, if I recall you can bring in your own food and drink, just no glass or alcohol.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 24, 2014

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I was really surprised when I went to Pocono where they would let us go with the pit passes.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

SFH1989 posted:

I was really surprised when I went to Pocono where they would let us go with the pit passes.

Very cool. I'm looking at Pocono as a 30th birthday excursion, and wasn't sure how good an idea paddock passes would be (more concerned about bringing an almost-5-year-old around, so that will probably trump most other considerations).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

and the cars actually SOUNDED like Indycars.

Oh god I forgot how awful the original IRL engines sounded until you mentioned that.

devmd01 posted:

IndyCar has one of the most fan-friendly paddocks in all of motorsports, you can walk right up to the cars as they're being prepared.

Seriously, only NHRA is on par with ICS in this regard, but in an ICS paddock there's no need for gas masks. The street circuits are even more accessible than the ovals since they're not really set up to give drivers / crew the ability to get from point A to point B without taking the same path a fan would; I lost track of how many times I was nearly bumped into or run over by drivers at Long Beach.

Bonus points if you end up getting all buddy-buddy with a race engineer over tenderloins at the Mug-N-Bun. It's how you get pictures like this.

Yes, that's this car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh god I forgot how awful the original IRL engines sounded until you mentioned that.

Seriously, only NHRA is on par with ICS in this regard, but in an ICS paddock there's no need for gas masks. The street circuits are even more accessible than the ovals since they're not really set up to give drivers / crew the ability to get from point A to point B without taking the same path a fan would; I lost track of how many times I was nearly bumped into or run over by drivers at Long Beach.

Bonus points if you end up getting all buddy-buddy with a race engineer over tenderloins at the Mug-N-Bun. It's how you get pictures like this.

Yes, that's this car.
Well that answers my question about kid-friendliness :3:

• Locked thread