Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

Pan Ache posted:

Has anyone who's played barbarian speak to its similarity to nimble quest? The game looks fun but one of the things I got tired of with nq was the need to repeat the earliest levels. Arcadier games like Slayin' tend to be the same way, the earliest levels aren't so much a challenge as a necessary time sink in order to take a run at the game.

It is like Nimble Quest in the sense that you're doing the driving and your dudes do the shooting. You can also skip five levels at a time, once you get to level 5/10/15 you can start there. (Pretty much need some upgrades to be able to though)

Overall Nimble Quest has it beat for sure. Accumulating/spending the main resource is pretty shallow because it's just fill out party -> keep buying the temporary buff. It might be a little better if you could keep buying units to change your setup on the fly, but once you have a full party you're stuck with it until someone dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Butterfly Valley posted:

the port of the original Tomb Raider - worth bothering with? Reviews are split on whether the controls are manageable or an insurmountable issue.

The controls are surprisingly accurate to the original Playstation game (they're loving awful and Lara drives like an 18 wheeler).

Myst and Riven suck, there are many puzzle/adventure games on iOS that are miles beyond them.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Bottom Liner posted:

The controls are surprisingly accurate to the original Playstation game (they're loving awful and Lara drives like an 18 wheeler).

Myst and Riven suck, there are many puzzle/adventure games on iOS that are miles beyond them.

The reviews also mentioned not all of the music has made it to iOS which is a shame as that's one of the main nostalgic draws for me, how much is missing? And last question, reviews mentioned the auto save loving them over and getting them stuck in endless death loops, is that down to the players being dumb or is it actually a problem?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, think I'm going to download SurvivalCraft. I have a few more questions: the port of the original Tomb Raider - worth bothering with? Reviews are split on whether the controls are manageable or an insurmountable issue. Myst and Riven, never played them, worth a go now? Secret of Monkey Island, same question. Also the Baldur's Gate ports - I love 2 (although I'm not sure I've ever completed it), overall are they worth it on iOS or would I be better off just reinstalling them on a pc?

Instead of Myst, get The Room + The Room 2. Modern games with a similar vibe.

The first Secret of Monkey Island has not aged well. Yes it's a classic blah blah blah but frankly it's worth skipping. Monkey Island 2 is still pretty great though.

I played a little of the Tomb Raider port, and it was functional but I'm not sure how much I'd trust those controls once I was making life or death leaps to grab ledges across 60ft drops. It was worth a dollar for nostalgia, but the controls were funky even back in the day. Coming to it fresh now may be very frustrating. Which is a shame, as the game itself is a landmark. I recommend, if you have access to a console, picking up the 10 year remake Tomb Raider Anniversary.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Thanks for the recommendations, think I'm going to download SurvivalCraft. I have a few more questions: the port of the original Tomb Raider - worth bothering with? Reviews are split on whether the controls are manageable or an insurmountable issue. Myst and Riven, never played them, worth a go now? Secret of Monkey Island, same question. Also the Baldur's Gate ports - I love 2 (although I'm not sure I've ever completed it), overall are they worth it on iOS or would I be better off just reinstalling them on a pc?

BG plays flawlessly on an iPad 3. They did little to nothing about fixing bugs and annoyances that existed way back when it came out, but it's a drat near perfect port.

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

For any Max Gladstone fans, I was looking around at some choose your own adventure games and it turns out he actually wrote one.

Haven't tried it but it looks like it takes place in the same universe as the books so I guess if you ever wanted to be a magical skeleton lawyer now's your chance.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Just got Flawless in Hoplite, though I'm not sure what the Protection upgrade was yet. What an awesome game that anyone who liked 868-HACK will definitely enjoy. Only think I'd take off against it is how it's really easy to accidentally tap somewhere out of range of your character and accidentally pathfind into a wizard.

ogreboy
Apr 1, 2003

bad day posted:

Costume Quest is really fun. I do not regret purchasing this game.

Me neither. I grabbed it for 99 cents on sale and it is a drat bargain. I bought the add-on too even tho it's just a skin on the same old mechanic. It's still just drat fun tho.

I am not a JRPG fan of any sort.. I've tried and hated them, and generally dislike turn based combat games. But Costume Quest is light, endearing, fun, and cute. Good subway game.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

ogreboy posted:

Me neither. I grabbed it for 99 cents on sale and it is a drat bargain. I bought the add-on too even tho it's just a skin on the same old mechanic. It's still just drat fun tho.

I am not a JRPG fan of any sort.. I've tried and hated them, and generally dislike turn based combat games. But Costume Quest is light, endearing, fun, and cute. Good subway game.

How is the save system in the tablet version? The original release on consoles had a *horribly* inadequate save-system that made things a real chore. No save on demand nor save on exit, and it only auto-saved when you handed in a quest. Ergo, obtaining loot, levelling up, and other stuff didn't count as savable progress.

They eventually patched in save-stations. Did those make it into the tablet version?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

magimix posted:

How is the save system in the tablet version? The original release on consoles had a *horribly* inadequate save-system that made things a real chore. No save on demand nor save on exit, and it only auto-saved when you handed in a quest. Ergo, obtaining loot, levelling up, and other stuff didn't count as savable progress.

They eventually patched in save-stations. Did those make it into the tablet version?

Yup.
What is needs now is a goddamn restore purchase option.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Bottom Liner posted:

:what:

Are they broken on iOS or something?

Nothing on the appstore comes even close to the complexity and genius of the puzzles within Riven. If you've never played those games before and you're into real solvable puzzles that are more than just 'click on poo poo till it works' (I love The Room and The Room 2 but come on lets be real those aren't exactly shining examples of logic-led puzzles) you must get Myst and Riven as well as whatever else is suggested here.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Zigmidge posted:

:what:

Are they broken on iOS or something?

Nothing on the appstore comes even close to the complexity and genius of the puzzles within Riven. If you've never played those games before and you're into real solvable puzzles that are more than just 'click on poo poo till it works' (I love The Room and The Room 2 but come on lets be real those aren't exactly shining examples of logic-led puzzles) you must get Myst and Riven as well as whatever else is suggested here.

Seem to work fine for me.

They're great but I can only really get into realMyst and not Riven (so far anyway) on account of finding navigating by static images (and the angles you turn at not being consistent throughout) really jarring and disorientating.
I don't know about Riven but Myst is a great example of a reasonably non-linear point and click that doesn't expect you to solve random bullshit so much as it expects you to pay attention to the sequence of clues you come across.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
My Barbarian app broke somehow. After a game Try Again does nothing and Visit Shop is an endless loading screen.

Will reinstalling an app delete its saves in general?

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

The Royal Scrub posted:

My Barbarian app broke somehow. After a game Try Again does nothing and Visit Shop is an endless loading screen.

Will reinstalling an app delete its saves in general?

Log out of gamecenter in your settings. It'll work fine then. If you don't want to do that, just force the app to shut and reopen.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

SmockJoc posted:

Log out of gamecenter in your settings. It'll work fine then. If you don't want to do that, just force the app to shut and reopen.

Awesome, thank you. Logging out of Game Center did it. Force-quitting every run was getting old.

Danger Doug
Jul 10, 2007
I'm looking at maybe picking up Baldur's Gate II. Having never played either BG1 or BG2, am I going to be extremely excited to play this game (I do enjoy D&D), or is the draw for them purely off of nostalgia for when people first played the games when they were 14?

e: nvm, only for the iPad!

Danger Doug fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 22, 2014

Forti
May 5, 2009

Thought I'd post up in here, some friends of mine just released their first iOS indie game! It's a match three puzzler but the matching is used to cast spells in RPG battles and poo poo like in puzzle quest, makes it slightly more addictive. I played it at their house for a bit and it's maddeningly addictive.

I'm shilling so hard because if a lot of people buy it they'll hurry up and make an android version I can actually play. :argh:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Danger Doug posted:

I'm looking at maybe picking up Baldur's Gate II. Having never played either BG1 or BG2, am I going to be extremely excited to play this game (I do enjoy D&D), or is the draw for them purely off of nostalgia for when people first played the games when they were 14?

e: nvm, only for the iPad!

If you want to just play it's also on steem and just fine if you like 80 / 90 RPGs. Just be ready for thac0.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

So when are these assholes going to start going after the word "Crush"?

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

McDragon posted:

So when are these assholes going to start going after the word "Crush"?
I actually think they have way more of a foot to stand on with "Saga" than "Candy". They've clearly tried to establish a brand naming convention with Saga much like Zynga did with Ville. People could and have started putting "Saga" in their names to play off of King's success and legal action is legitimate in those cases.

Where the problem comes in is that (if my law is correct) US trademark law requires them to protect that name if they want to retain the trademark. European law lets them sign a coexistence agreement where they basically officially recognise that a particular example is not trying to infringe on them. But US doesn't allow for this and so they have to press it or else lose it.

It's basically a lovely system not allowing them to sensibly enforce against people who are making crappy knockoffs to leech off their business.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

MissMarple posted:

It's basically a lovely system not allowing them to sensibly enforce against people who are making crappy knockoffs to leech off their business.

But its good in that it forces them to defend a trademark which might not stand up in a case that ever makes it to trial.

If they want to trademark something as generic as "candy" then I want them to have to defend it. As often as possible.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Forti posted:

Thought I'd post up in here, some friends of mine just released their first iOS indie game! It's a match three puzzler but the matching is used to cast spells in RPG battles and poo poo like in puzzle quest, makes it slightly more addictive. I played it at their house for a bit and it's maddeningly addictive.

I'm shilling so hard because if a lot of people buy it they'll hurry up and make an android version I can actually play. :argh:

Not bad. Kind of charming after a slow start I suppose. Hoping it gets more interesting as it goes.

However I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it's ignorance and not malevolence that has the game casually tell you the Mage's Guild is open and you should get your license next. ( that is all it says) and then you click on the Mage's Guild and an iTunes popup instantly asks for your password. At that point it wants to charge you $1.99 and you still don't even know what the gently caress it's trying to railroad you into buying.

That and the old timey art all looks pretty great except for the hyper-generic-as-gently caress Korean anime characters.

Seriously, iOS devs need to get off that train.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

MissMarple posted:

I actually think they have way more of a foot to stand on with "Saga" than "Candy". They've clearly tried to establish a brand naming convention with Saga much like Zynga did with Ville. People could and have started putting "Saga" in their names to play off of King's success and legal action is legitimate in those cases.

Where the problem comes in is that (if my law is correct) US trademark law requires them to protect that name if they want to retain the trademark. European law lets them sign a coexistence agreement where they basically officially recognise that a particular example is not trying to infringe on them. But US doesn't allow for this and so they have to press it or else lose it.

Everyone thinks this is the case, but it's not actually true. There's no enforcement requirement except in limited circumstances.

http://www.inta.org/TrademarkBasics/FactSheets/Pages/LossofTrademarkRightsFactSheet.aspx - question 7 is what you want. Bear in mind that INTA is predisposed towards enforcement as a result of who they are, so their shading on when you can lose a mark by failure to police is somewhat stronger than the situation on the ground.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kalman posted:

Everyone thinks this is the case, but it's not actually true. There's no enforcement requirement except in limited circumstances.

This is one of the dumber myths that keeps getting passed around. It amounts to "Hey here's something you can do if you're worried about your trademark losing its value" but half the internet runs around saying "If you don't sue everyone the government takes it away!!!!"

Trademarks do have value even if you can't afford a megacorp-sized legal team.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 23, 2014

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Forti posted:

Quite cute and a nice little timewaster. But yeah, what exactly is a Mages License and why do I need to spend £1.49 on one?

Edit: ah, you cannot level up past L4 without it then? Why not say it's a trial version up front?

monkeytennis fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 23, 2014

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
I don't know if it was released last night or if I only just noticed, but Kairosoft's Ninja Village is out. Seems very close to Dungeon Town, except you're conquering Japan with ninjas instead of fighting slimes in dungeons.

Edit: corrected game name

Eschers Basement fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 23, 2014

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin

Eschers Basement posted:

I don't know if it was released last night or if I only just noticed, but Kairosoft's Ninja Town is out. Seems very close to Dungeon Town, except you're conquering Japan with ninjas instead of fighting slimes in dungeons.

It's pretty cool, but it very much feels like a reskin of Astro Story with the whole field->factory->store interaction. Still, more Kairosoft is never a bad thing and it's once again fun :v:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

monkeytennis posted:

Quite cute and a nice little timewaster. But yeah, what exactly is a Mages License and why do I need to spend £1.49 on one?

Edit: ah, you cannot level up past L4 without it then? Why not say it's a trial version up front?

Yes there is NOTHING wrong with the angle they are taking for free/demo whatever. They just need to communicate that more clearly and upfront.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Well poo poo. The agility ability in Hoplite has been nerfed and no longer sends you into a crazed overdrive.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Sad lions posted:

Well poo poo. The agility ability in Hoplite has been nerfed and no longer sends you into a crazed overdrive.

Which was exactly what someone was talking about on the last page or so.

There's nothing in Agility's notes that says you can go all king-checker on the board. It pretty much says you get an (1) extra turn.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Thwomp posted:

Which was exactly what someone was talking about on the last page or so.

There's nothing in Agility's notes that says you can go all king-checker on the board. It pretty much says you get an (1) extra turn.

Still a great game but holy hell it was so satisfying wiping out most of a stage in one fell swoop.
I'm just miserable that I don't have what it takes to unlock the really cool stuff like magic.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Sad lions posted:

Still a great game but holy hell it was so satisfying wiping out most of a stage in one fell swoop.
I'm just miserable that I don't have what it takes to unlock the really cool stuff like magic.

Damnit, that nerf to agility sucks. And here I am, still struggling to get a no-damage or a no-wizard/demon kill run...

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Arcturas posted:

Damnit, that nerf to agility sucks. And here I am, still struggling to get a no-damage or a no-wizard/demon kill run...

drat this is one of the times when app-auto update kills me. I was only floor 12 of a no-damage run and decided to check update notes which warn not to update until your game finishes. :(

Forti
May 5, 2009

Feenix posted:

Yes there is NOTHING wrong with the angle they are taking for free/demo whatever. They just need to communicate that more clearly and upfront.

Huh, I kind of assumed that would have been, you know, mentioned in the game. I'll pass it along :)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Sad lions posted:

I never even got to unlock the original one and see what it was, the multikill achievement seems to require a very specific configuration of enemies

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Forti posted:

Huh, I kind of assumed that would have been, you know, mentioned in the game. I'll pass it along :)

No, the level to which it is NOT mentioned could almost be seen as shady, but I know better. It was probably just an oversight. Coders are not usually businessmen, and vice versa. ;)

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Glyph Quest is pretty good so far. Just unlocked Combination Magic, so I'm messing around on earlier quests to work out some of the new spells. Also I can appreciate most games that allow you to drop a meteor on a giant rat.

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010

Krolm posted:

It's pretty cool, but it very much feels like a reskin of Astro Story with the whole field->factory->store interaction. Still, more Kairosoft is never a bad thing and it's once again fun :v:

I've never played Astro Story, but it's just different enough from the other kairosoft games I've played. It feels like an automated dynasty warriors or something. I don't regret my purchase.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just a heads up, fellows, that Carmageddon is currently free on the App Store. The car pack and race pack, which are IAP, are each 1.99 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Glyph Quest is really great. Took me a while to work out the Summoning Spells, but they were kind of obvious in hindsight.

Nice to see a few Dark Souls references. Found two so far, I think somebody on the dev team is a fan. The references in this game kind of rule. :3:

• Locked thread