Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Chase?
This poll is closed.
Augh 46 32.39%
gently caress 96 67.61%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
elmono311
Apr 30, 2007

Every kiss begins with Kahne

Redeye Flight posted:

So, wait. Let me make sure I have this correct.

Danica Patrick, despite all the hype and flimflammery and enormous amounts of attention the media pays to her, cameos in racing games, all that bullshit--she has NEVER won a race?

Well, she won an IRL fuel mileage race in Japan that most of the field didn't show up for.

elmono311 fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

elmono311 posted:

Well, she won an IRL fuel mileage race in Japan that most of the field didn't show up for.

While researching about female nascar drivers, I came across this.

quote:

Guthrie qualified for and competed in the 1977 Indianapolis 500, but finished 29th with engine troubles. She would compete in two more Indy 500s, finishing as high as ninth in the 1978 race. Overall, she competed in 11 IndyCar events finishing as high as fifth. During her unsuccessful bid to qualify for the 1976 race, many of the drivers in the male dominated sport stated that the only reason she did not qualify was mainly due to her gender. These comments angered then three-time champion A.J. Foyt to the point he had Guthrie perform a four lap timed practice around the Indianapolis track using his back up car. Had she been qualifying, she would've done so in ninth. This prompted Foyt to state that the only reason Guthrie did not qualify was due to the lack of funds for her team, and not because of her gender.

I always had AJ pegged as a tool for punching Arie and generally ragging on his team when things went wrong but that's pretty awesome.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Redeye Flight posted:

So, wait. Let me make sure I have this correct.

Danica Patrick, despite all the hype and flimflammery and enormous amounts of attention the media pays to her, cameos in racing games, all that bullshit--she has NEVER won a race?

Yes. Her average finish is like 30th.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
http://racing-reference.info/driver/Danica_Patrick

26th-27th in cup.

She wasn't terribly bad in Indycar. At least ~70% of the time she at least finished on the lead lap when she finished (and she only failed to do so 12/115 times, which isn't bad)

Compare that to her NASCAR stats where she's failed to finish 20% of the time, and only been on the lead lap at the finish ~40% of the time when she did finish. But she has only finished on lead lap in cup in 13 of her 46 starts.

SwampYankee
Mar 7, 2007

By the grace of God and 600 horsepower

Cannot Find Server posted:

Yes. And up until only a few laps left, there were 3 other people in contention to win as well. A nice little group of cars racing for the lead in the last 10 laps before Harvick and Gordon broke away.

The final laps of that race were some of the best racing I've seen. Lots of side by side and 3 wide action and a ridiculously close finish.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Tell me you didn't throw up in your mouth a little during the intro.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SwampYankee posted:

The final laps of that race were some of the best racing I've seen. Lots of side by side and 3 wide action and a ridiculously close finish.

If you go back and watch Atlanta and Charlotte races from about '99 through '05 or so, they more often than not were pretty decent races. Not always amazing and there were some duds, but they were still very much worth tuning in for. Unlike today, where both tracks consistently produce racing that is as bottom of the barrel as it gets.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Bobby Labonte had some sort of loving voodoo going on in the late 90s at Atlanta/Charlotte. There was one race, I think fall 1999 that he had all but 12 cars a lap down and a 19 second lead a little after halfway

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Slickdrac posted:

http://racing-reference.info/driver/Danica_Patrick

26th-27th in cup.

She wasn't terribly bad in Indycar. At least ~70% of the time she at least finished on the lead lap when she finished (and she only failed to do so 12/115 times, which isn't bad)

Compare that to her NASCAR stats where she's failed to finish 20% of the time, and only been on the lead lap at the finish ~40% of the time when she did finish. But she has only finished on lead lap in cup in 13 of her 46 starts.

Sometime after the midway point of most races I'll check on Danica to see what she is up to by watching the ticker at the top of the screen and find her like 29th 5 laps down but the weird part would be her car NOT being involved in any kind of incident or problem. There have been multiple races where she would be racing people with crushed front ends or 7 cylinders and her car would have nothing wrong with it. Money is money but it still mystifies me that she has a Cup seat when she clearly cannot even run at speed in most races.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Hey man she's just turning laps trying to figure out this nascar thing.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Just remember that you can interchange Danica's name with any open-wheeler that has tried NASCAR. What was Dario's average position?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

^DNF I think

:stare:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Just remember that you can interchange Danica's name with any open-wheeler that has tried NASCAR. What was Dario's average position?

To be fair, Dario said he hated his entire time down there. Also he was in a poo poo car.

It's a stupid thing to do. Period.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

awesome

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I'm SO pulling for Last Name :c00l:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

For a split second I thought the quarter panel said Boris and I got excited about Boris Said because he would put his first name on the quarter panel for some reason.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm CBJ, and I approve of this paint scheme.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

CactusWeasle posted:

I'm SO pulling for Last Name :c00l:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Sporting News has a survey going trying to gauge who fans think the best and worst announcers in NASCAR TV are today: http://t.co/sFPg3NYteB

So, to kill time, let's do the same thing. Best and worst on-air talent on FOX, TNT, and ESPN and why? Must be active (we all know Ken Squier owns, but he hasn't called a race since '99, so he doesn't count.)

Best-
-Bestwick (man loves him some NASCAR and loves his job bringing it to the fan)
-Joy (veteran who is also excellent and tempers DW)
-Dallenbach (calls it like he sees it)

Worst-
-Briscoe ("So, Joey, if this race, which is rain-delayed past halfway and you're leading, ended now, would you be happy?" Just bad.)
-Michael Waltrip (self-explanatory)
-Spake (Also bad.)

e- Like the original survey, pick three.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 25, 2014

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Best

- Joy: He's the Ken Squire of our time
- Wally: Experience in a multitude of cars, isn't afraid to speak his mind even if it's against the NASCAR company line
- Petty: Hilarious, even when he's wrong (which is a lot)

Worst

- Mikey: shut up shut up SHUT UP
-DW: boogity boogity boogity shut the hell up, boy
- Larry Mac: May be senile

That's word for word my choices, plus TNT is the best network because they have the least amount of dumb banter

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
Alan Bestwick really stands out. He understands what is happening and articulates it so that it's easy to understand without completely dumbing it down (DW). When he talks it is because he has a purpose, not because he likes the sound of his own voice (again, DW).

It's going to be great when he moves to Indycar in 2015. It will be another reason to stop watching NASCAR. Maybe by then they will be settling the championship with a roulette wheel.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Adam Alexander
Dale Jarrett
Mike Joy

Darrell Waltrip
Ray Evernham
Mikey Waltrip

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I blame FOX, the passage of time and Brian France for DW sounding like an idiot. Pre-FOX he was actually a decent color guy.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
His interviews when he was a driver were the best. If anything, I blame his run as an owner, because it humbled him. Cocky DW is the best DW hands down.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

DW at least knows he can be grating (hence him asking on Twitter many moons ago if people wanted him to keep doing the BOOGITY poo poo and getting overwhelmingly affirmative answers.) Count me in Boomer's camp, too.

Captain Dickweed
Mar 3, 2003

Yes, that kitty is probably the head of a multi-national conglomerated business...uh...thing.

This year is going to suck, we may have to keep Winter Heat going through the season.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I blame FOX, the passage of time and Brian France for DW sounding like an idiot. Pre-FOX he was actually a decent color guy.
Dale's death broke him.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

NASCAR-related racing. On the TV!

Rolex 24:
-FOX: 2-4pm Eastern
-FS2: 4-9pm Eastern
-IMSA.com: 9pm-7am Sunday, Eastern
-FS1: 7am-2pm Sunday

Chat in #nascar

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

shyduck posted:

Dale's death broke him.
Dale's death broke him, but Bill Jr's death forced him (and everyone else, for that matter) into becoming a puppet. I wonder if BP would have 'retired' long ago if he hadn't have passed...

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

My picks:

It was hard to pick only three good ones!
1. Bestwick
2. Joy
3. Wally

(I'd have picked Kyle Petty if I'd had four spots)

Bad:
1. Darrell
2. Mikey
3. Rusty (Not that he's actively bad, I suppose, but he's boring as hell)

In conclusion, I miss BP.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

CBJSprague24 posted:

The Sporting News has a survey going trying to gauge who fans think the best and worst announcers in NASCAR TV are today: http://t.co/sFPg3NYteB

So, to kill time, let's do the same thing. Best and worst on-air talent on FOX, TNT, and ESPN and why? Must be active (we all know Ken Squier owns, but he hasn't called a race since '99, so he doesn't count.)

Best-
-Bestwick (man loves him some NASCAR and loves his job bringing it to the fan)
-Joy (veteran who is also excellent and tempers DW)
-Dallenbach (calls it like he sees it)

Worst-
-Briscoe ("So, Joey, if this race, which is rain-delayed past halfway and you're leading, ended now, would you be happy?" Just bad.)
-Michael Waltrip (self-explanatory)
-Spake (Also bad.)

e- Like the original survey, pick three.

I have a really hard time answering this, because Bob Jenkins, Benny Parsons, and Ned Jarrett were the best that ever was and, most likely, ever will be.

Your list is really good, though - I think it would be cool to have Joy and Bestwick on the same team.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Elitist Bitch posted:

My picks:

It was hard to pick only three good ones!
1. Bestwick
2. Joy
3. Wally

(I'd have picked Kyle Petty if I'd had four spots)

Bad:
1. Darrell
2. Mikey

In conclusion, I miss BP.

Same but I put on Alexander since he's just a mediocre main commentator. There are worse commentators but he just stands out as very meh to Joy and Bestwick. Hell Rick Allen he has the voice and command to make me excited for racing while Alexander, complete opposite. Why I'm surprised TNT picked Alexander over Rick Allen.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Elitist Bitch posted:

Rusty annoyed me so badly when he first started announcing that i watched a few races with the volume muted.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

BMB5150 posted:

Same but I put on Alexander since he's just a mediocre main commentator. There are worse commentators but he just stands out as very meh to Joy and Bestwick. Hell Rick Allen he has the voice and command to make me excited for racing while Alexander, complete opposite. Why I'm surprised TNT picked Alexander over Rick Allen.

I will fight you BMB.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

quote:

Gallagher Motorsports renamed; returning to ARCA: Gallagher Motorsports, owned by Maury Gallagher, has been renamed to GMS Racing. The team will field a full time entry for Spencer Gallagher in the 2014 ARCA Racing Series season. Additionally, a second car will be entered at Daytona for Allegiant Air Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Scott Sheldon. (01-25-14)
SRA, what experience does Scott Sheldon have?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
dude gon die

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/67122818/four-math-and-racing-experts-devise-nascar-points-plans

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

Boomer The Cannon posted:

SRA, what experience does Scott Sheldon have?
Apparently SRA and Sheldon are fellow class winners at the Legends World Final, so he's got at least some driving skill.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

I like most of these because it eliminates the stupidity of the old system where making up ten positions in the 30s was worth more than going from 5th to 1st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Uncle Jam posted:

I like most of these because it eliminates the stupidity of the old system where making up ten positions in the 30s was worth more than going from 5th to 1st.

For some gives the incentive to race and not lollygag around in 5th until the end. I like the bonus for leading most and winning and then a fibonacci bonus for winning more. But the problem now is getting the cars right since where racing in those points systems would be like the all star race and no one is passing.

• Locked thread