Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Snacksmaniac posted:

I don't know why the changed Cody's theme to a butt rock version of the same drat thing when his old one was pretty goofy and funny sounding.

Cody's old theme was loving awful. It's still bad but it doesn't make me turn off the sound when I'm playing the video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Funny, the newer theme makes me do just that!

I do agree the themes lately are a bit rough and I would rather have instrumentals most of the time -- even sound alikes like WCW used to do.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

Whatever happened to Scott Hudson?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Rad R. posted:

Over the years, the WWE went from heavy metal and pyro to Nickleback and stage lights, but it took them a while to get there. I'm really picky when it comes to music, and I'm not too happy with most of what the WWE uses right now. In most cases, I prefer WCW's stock music to stuff like Cody Rhodes' and AJ Lee's themes.

While the Monday Night Wars were in full force, the WWF had far superior production, visuals and music. I never understood how a company owned by Ted Turner (and Time Warner) could produce something that didn't look as polished as the WWF, especially with their budget. A lot of the stuff listed above as WCW's faults are true, but a two hour Nitro was packed with enough wrestling and characters to keep you entertained. The WWF just couldn't cut it a lot of times. WCW had too much of everything and they didn't know how to utilize new stars, but the WWF didn't have enough, and they filled their shows with promos and recaps, while the actual wrestling wasn't better than WCW, it was pretty much kick-punch-finisher when compared to WCW's display of technicians. But WWE's revisionist history teaches us differently. Example: recently, I've been reading, again, about how Canadian Stampede is one of the greatest PPV's ever. I watched it when it aired and all I could think about was how the WWF was fighting really hard to keep up with WCW. Anyway... Every discussion about WCW leads me to the conclusion that we, the fans, didn't get closure. We just lost WCW, in a bad way, and the company isn't celebrated, but mostly mocked. I see a lot of comments online pointing out Russo and all those 'on a pole' matches, but I think that's mostly younger fans who learned about WCW after it ended, which means they've learned a lot about its bad sides. WCW wasn't all Russo, pinata on a pole matches, or Oklahoma. I remember it as a kick-rear end fed that gave me Sting, Jericho, Raven, cruiserweights, luchadores I had no chance of seeing anywhere else, the nWo, Norman Smiley and the Saturday Night Alumni (this would be a great band name)and it definitely made wrestling popular in the late 90s. WCW made it insanely popular, the WWF anted up their game and ended up winning. But before their rebranding with that crappy logo and music, before the Giant and Jericho left, WCW was awesome.

WCW should be mostly mocked because the company was in business from 1988 through 2001 and during that time it had a great in ring year in 89, a mixed in ring and good business year in 96, a fairly good in ring year and great business year in 97, and a decent in ring year and amazing business year in 98. Other than that there were a few great in ring months in 92 and the rest of the company's history is mostly really hard to watch. A discussion of WCW is going to be mostly focusing on the negatives because there were way more negatives than positives.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

emjayo posted:

Whatever happened to Scott Hudson?

Worked TNA in 2003, worked Ring of Glory (Russo's religious promotion) in 2005, now he's a lawyer or something if I recall.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

triplexpac posted:

I'm really wracking my brain here, what about WWF's production in 1998 made it far superior to WCW?

Like, here's Raw's entrance from 1998:

And here's WCW Nitro from 1998:

Sorry I couldn't find a good 1998 shot, but really the set was just a big screen with two "Raw is War" signs on either side.

If WCW TV looked as good as that photograph, it'd be no contest. They both looked the same quality-wise, but WWE's production values were always way, way, way better. Better mic'ing, better camera work, just an entirely smoother product.

It's always felt, to me, that WWE's crew were all working together while WCW's crew just showed up to do their one singular job and weren't a cohesive unit at all.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If you liked a 90s sports broadcast feel, WCW was better. If you liked a slicker TV feel, the WWF was better after say, 96. In 95 and 96 I think Nitro looked way better than Raw on every level.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

triplexpac posted:

It was definitely gradual. To me the biggest shift was around 2003 when they had that big slanted tron with the lights all around it.

I hated that set.

I'm sorry, but how can someone hate the Rhombustron? It's amazing.

E: on further inspection, it is not a Rhombustron, but in fact a Parallelogramotron, which makes it even better because of that term.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 24, 2014

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The WCW ring was superior in terms of sound compared to WWF, such nice impact noises.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
the WCW Ring always looked super small to me, but I watched the synchtube Nitros and have spent my wrestling life on Raw so it might be that the WWE one is huge.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

the WCW Ring always looked super small to me, but I watched the synchtube Nitros and have spent my wrestling life on Raw so it might be that the WWE one is huge.

WWE rings are actually supposed to be markedly larger than most. IIRC it's why Sin Cara had so much trouble in the ring at first, because he didn't go through developmental to get used to such large rings. Also the literally blinding mask.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Stallion Cabana posted:

I assumed the WCW ring was deliberately smaller in order to make their wrestlers look even more enormous.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Here's something I totally forgot about:

Remember when Chuck Palumbo won the WCW title?

I completely forgot about this, on the 8-21-00 Nitro he had a match with Booker where he got a crooked pin in a title match. The Cat declared the match invalid, but Booker wouldn't take the belt back so The Cat restarted the match. Chuck Palumbo, sort of kind of not really WCW Champion.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MassRafTer posted:

Here's something I totally forgot about :

Remember when Chuck Palumbo won the WCW title?

I completely forgot about this, on the 8-21-00 Nitro he had a match with Booker where he got a crooked pin in a title match. The Cat declared the match invalid, but Booker wouldn't take the belt back so The Cat restarted the match. Chuck Palumbo, sort of kind of not really WCW Champion.

We found it. The missing link. A worse champion than David Arquette yet not as bad as Vince Russo.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Chuck Palumbo was OK, and the tag team with O'Haire was one of the few bright spots with late WCW.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

weekly font posted:

We found it. The missing link. A worse champion than David Arquette yet not as bad as Vince Russo.

The thing is Russo holding the title could have been not as awful as it had been, he was a big heel and he won it on a fluke where someone hit him so hard he flew through a steel cage. Not ideal, but he could've come out next week lording it over everyone and then got the crap kicked out of him. Instead he graciously vacated the title and did that popemobile skit where he informed fans Bill Goldberg would have to win something like 200 matches in a row, which was ahead of it's time - it would've been the first let's play as Bill Goldberg attempts to reach level 99 in the mako reactor by grinding on shinra grunt Cs.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I Before E posted:

I'm sorry, but how can someone hate the Rhombustron? It's amazing.

E: on further inspection, it is not a Rhombustron, but in fact a Parallelogramotron, which makes it even better because of that term.

Wrestling stages should be like winamp skins. You look at it for about 30 seconds and go "woah cool" and then go back to enjoying your music. Every stage after that became iteratively more and more eyeholding. The action should be in the ring, not in the entrances.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

coconono posted:

Wrestling stages should be like winamp skins. You look at it for about 30 seconds and go "woah cool" and then go back to enjoying your music. Every stage after that became iteratively more and more eyeholding. The action should be in the ring, not in the entrances.

Yeah, that stage was the one where I started to think "Okay WWF, you need to dial back your designs here, can we please go back to a plain backdrop and a giant screen?"

Then they kept evolving until we got the 500 ft tall mess of screens we have now. Does one guy really need 3 separate videos going at once when he comes out?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

triplexpac posted:

Yeah, that stage was the one where I started to think "Okay WWF, you need to dial back your designs here, can we please go back to a plain backdrop and a giant screen?"

Then they kept evolving until we got the 500 ft tall mess of screens we have now. Does one guy really need 3 separate videos going at once when he comes out?

Yes, because it makes Undertaker's entrances even more amazing.

Yo Eleven
Aug 5, 2010

triplexpac posted:

Does one guy really need 3 separate videos going at once when he comes out?

Counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8sGGglMtTw

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
It's not actually a mirror. It's digital.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Vince Russo wanted to put the vacant WCW title on Tank Abbott.
That wouldn't have gone well.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Listen, just because Brutus sucked and wanted to give people shaves doesn't mean that Abbot would have sucked too.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
After all, look how good of a job he did with Big Al's beard.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

weekly font posted:

I don't remember this at all. I'm not sure, but I think this was when I completely stopped watching WCW because it was painful. Now I'll have to find this Nitro on YouTube and watch it, this is just too stupid.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

triplexpac posted:

I'm really wracking my brain here, what about WWF's production in 1998 made it far superior to WCW?

Like, here's Raw's entrance from 1998:

And here's WCW Nitro from 1998:

Sorry I couldn't find a good 1998 shot, but really the set was just a big screen with two "Raw is War" signs on either side.

I just thought the TitanTron and the 'Raw is War' signs in stencil were way cooler. Nitro was missing a tron.

The WWF was better at:
- camera work
- pyro, because WCW's pyro kept the arena smokey - the WWF wasn't perfect at this, but was still better
- visuals, better video animations, better promo packages
- music; nobody comes close to Jim Johnston
- better stages, ramps and ring set-ups; today we can complain about trons all we want, but the WWF had the TitanTron, WCW didn't, and the TitanTron kicked rear end
- selling the product
- investing in new names and actually letting them become stars

WCW was better at:
- actual wrestling in the ring and the amount of wrestling shown on each show
- commentary; and I know this is an unpopular opinion, but JR and the King were not better than Schiavone, Tenay and Heenan. Dude, Heenan. And Tenay, the professor, actually teaching me, a kid watching wrestling, about different moves and different styles. JR was and remains the best, Lawler was always terrible.
- making it feel like you're watching an actual international wrestling fed with stars from all over the world, which was insanely entertaining
- grungy promos and faux real life characters
- showcasing tradition; the Big Gold Belt was a championship for real men, not cartoon characters. I mean this, of course, in a pre-Russo way.

Even if WCW was on top for two years only (96-98), those two years were amazing. Once WCW changed it's logo, it was all down the drain.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rad R. posted:

I just thought the TitanTron and the 'Raw is War' signs in stencil were way cooler. Nitro was missing a tron.

The WWF was better at:
- camera work
- pyro, because WCW's pyro kept the arena smokey - the WWF wasn't perfect at this, but was still better
- visuals, better video animations, better promo packages
- music; nobody comes close to Jim Johnston
- better stages, ramps and ring set-ups; today we can complain about trons all we want, but the WWF had the TitanTron, WCW didn't, and the TitanTron kicked rear end
- selling the product

WCW was better at:
- actual wrestling in the ring and the amount of wrestling shown on each show
- commentary; and I know this is an unpopular opinion, but JR and the King were not better than Schiavone, Tenay and Heenan. Dude, Heenan. And Tenay, the professor, actually teaching me, a kid watching wrestling, about different moves and different styles. JR was and remains the best, Lawler was always terrible.
- making it feel like you're watching an actual international wrestling fed with stars from all over the world, which was insanely entertaining
- grungy promos and faux real life characters
- showcasing tradition; the Big Gold Belt was a championship for real men, not cartoon characters. I mean this, of course, in a pre-Russo way.

Even if WCW was on top for two years only (96-98), those two years were amazing. Once WCW changed it's logo, it was all down the drain.

I have never heard anything from WCW Heenan as good as his WWF work. Heenan got his good reputation from WWF and clearly hated doing WCW shows after a while. Knowing what I know about backstage Schiavone colors my perception of Schiavone very negatively as well.

But yeah Lawler is terrible.

A lot of heel commentators miss out on the fact that they should still be entertaining. Heenan, Ventura, and JBL are fantastic in that regard.

Also, I wish all wrestling shows ever would stay away from three-man commentary teams. They are always horrible.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Rad R. posted:

- commentary; and I know this is an unpopular opinion, but JR and the King were not better than Schiavone, Tenay and Heenan. Dude, Heenan. And Tenay, the professor, actually teaching me, a kid watching wrestling, about different moves and different styles.

Heenan was pretty bad in WCW, and who could blame him? Schiavone was hit-or-miss, Tenay was fine.

However, half of each Nitro was called by Zbyszko, and Larry was loving awful.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

tzirean posted:

Heenan was pretty bad in WCW, and who could blame him? Schiavone was hit-or-miss, Tenay was fine.

However, half of each Nitro was called by Zbyszko, and Larry was loving awful.

Larry was awful? I bet you didn't like when he called out the dastardly New World Odour!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Schiavone was mostly garbage, but had his moments like the "You can go to hell" when Hogan turned.

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

Rad R. posted:

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, just curious to know who exactly you mean. Off the top of my head, The Rock, Stone Cold, HHH and maybe Foley, but they reigned the whole era.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The pyro smoke on basically every Nitro made it look so low rent. Raw's was a lot better, not sure what they did differently.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bigass Moth posted:

The pyro smoke on basically every Nitro made it look so low rent. Raw's was a lot better, not sure what they did differently.

I liked it, and liked the Nitro set in general.

I can't agree that the Nitro announcers were better. Lawler was a lot of fun early on in the Monday Night Wars, and Ross was obviously always good. Schiavone declined from fair to poor, Heenan went from disinterested to completely apathetic and Tenay was useless if he had to actually call a match. Larry was obviously a treasure.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

I liked it, and liked the Nitro set in general.

I can't agree that the Nitro announcers were better. Lawler was a lot of fun early on in the Monday Night Wars, and Ross was obviously always good. Schiavone declined from fair to poor, Heenan went from disinterested to completely apathetic and Tenay was useless if he had to actually call a match. Larry was obviously a treasure.

Just a regional one, though, because we know who the true national treasure is.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

DeathChicken posted:

Schiavone was mostly garbage, but had his moments like the "You can go to hell" when Hogan turned.

Schiavone was good in the 80s!

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

ChampRamp posted:

Schiavone was good in the 80s!

Still wanna see the alternate reality where they picked him and not Bischoff to run things. :allears:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I genuinely think Schiavone is probably the second-best commentator of the modern era. But I agree that the VISUAL difference between WCW and the WWF during the Monday Night War was night and day. WCW looked like a glitzy boxing match on HBO and the WWF looked like some pirate broadcast.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

epitasis posted:

I genuinely think Schiavone is probably the second-best commentator of the modern era.

Schiavone wasn't even the second-best commentator in WCW.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Bigass Moth posted:

My memory's really the opposite on this- I remember Nitro being very brightly and cleanly lit and Raw being kinda hazy and grimy. Then again this may have been influenced by how each channel came in on cable- TNT always looked good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

fatherdog posted:

Schiavone wasn't even the second-best commentator in WCW.

It's not the craziest thing we've heard in this thread. The Craziest was that Raven's theme was better than "Come as You Are".