Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bowser
Apr 7, 2007

That was a great episode. God bless you, Dan Harmon.

Also, to fill Troy's spot they should bring back Vaughan :unsmigghh:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Scissorfighter posted:

The actual lava game felt mostly like a retread, but I really enjoyed the episode because it went a long way towards fixing Britta. She was great here and so was the entire last act with the farewells.

That was part of the point. It was Abed retreating into a fantasy because that's what he does when he doesn't know how to approach the world, and pulling the school into one of its elaborate games because those have given some of the strongest moments of the past. The entire thing pays homage to and pokes fun at paintball 1 and 2 as well as the pillow war because that was when Abed wasn't the only one that was crazy.

Anyway, I think I just read way too deep into things and went a little crazy with my post...

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

bowser posted:

That was a great episode. God bless you, Dan Harmon.

Also, to fill Troy's spot they should bring back Vaughan :unsmigghh:.

Unfortunately, he's too busy being on NCIS: LA to come back.

I wish i was kidding.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Mo0 posted:

I wish i was kidding.

Bring back Vaughan, and have LL Cool J join him as his partner.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

BCA: Bubble-Chasing Action

ACB: Abed's Clone Bye-bye

ABC: Always Be Centipeding

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
ABC: Abed's Bestie Closure

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I really appreciate the redemption of Britta as a good character. Britta is my favorite :colbert:.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Well, this was literally the finest episode of Community ever. Anyone who suggests otherwise is categorically wrong and should be ashamed of having opinions that are so diametrically opposed to fundamental truths.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
God, I'm glad Dan Harmon's back.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Hope this is a trend of stepping back from just dumping on Britta all the time.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

rapeface posted:

Hope this is a trend of stepping back from just dumping on Britta all the time.

In the Season 5 trailer there's a shot of Starburns yelling "ALL HAIL BRITTA!"

There's like an 80% chance she takes over the school by accident.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Mo0 posted:

I wish i was kidding.

Dude is getting paid and the residuals he makes off that turd of a show will be more than anything Community could have ever offered, so...

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

CBA: Childish Boat Admiral

Also, loved Magnitude's "I'm British!"

holttho
May 21, 2007

Great episode, very touching sendoff.

I know it has been mentioned before, but man, Joel McHale has been spending time at the gym.

Women and man-children first!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Thumbtacks posted:

In the Season 5 trailer there's a shot of Starburns yelling "ALL HAIL BRITTA!"

I was really surprised that that clip wasn't from this episode.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

adhuin posted:

I was really surprised that that clip wasn't from this episode.

We have yet to see what gives birth to STARDOZ.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm calling a Britta-led Occupy Greendale movement.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Behind the scenes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiMzRpet7Pk

Great scene at the end but I can understand why it got cut. It's a little on the nose.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah, that did feel a little too much. It's a nice sentiment though.

Also apparently Aimee Mann (formerly of Jeff and Britta's marriage song) specially recorded that cover of Come Sail Away at the end. (And it was set up in season by the line at the start of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTCL6f5YtDQ)

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
If there's a silver lining in Troy leaving, hopefully it's that Britta gets more time to shine because she was seriously great in this one.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Hey look at this thing I was linked to:

It's Greendale's page on ratemyprofessors

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
these comments on Jeff...

"Spectacular teacher. Seemed a bit bummed about it though. I will always remember almost winning that comic book. I'm amazed no one else thought to go on the roof."

"Strangely close to a study group - very obsessed with themselves."

"Teaches class ok but has a weird obsession with some study group. Maybe hes a board certified tutor?"

---------------------------------------------------------

Dan Harmon should run NBC.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

VagueRant posted:

Also apparently Aimee Mann (formerly of Jeff and Britta's marriage song) specially recorded that cover of Come Sail Away at the end.
I knew I recognized the singer!

And man, I know it's been said before (many times), but goddamn does it feel good to have Community really back.

Gonna miss Donglover, though. :(

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
whoever put this together did a killer job...

http://youtu.be/5bC-pTRsu08

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
I thought Troys final good-bye scene was pretty weak. I think that music just made it feel forced and saccharine.

They should have scored that whole part to the soft beginning of "Come Sail Away" (maybe without the vocals, maybe with) very gradually building until Troy's driving off when it goes full blast just like it did. drat that would have owned.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Literally the one thing I didn't like about this episode was the "LAVA WORLD" title card. What a loving awesome episode.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I like how they laid in that he'll be gone "for a year...maybe longer". It sounds like they'd have him back for the season 6 finale at the very least.

Also, I lost it at Shirley's "What have you brought to my door?!"

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

superjew posted:

I like how they laid in that he'll be gone "for a year...maybe longer". It sounds like they'd have him back for the season 6 finale at the very least.

or the movie?!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Glover is gone and never coming back. Sorry.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Glover is gone and never coming back. Sorry.

Why don't you make that a Toxx, and we'll all see if it ends up being true.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

thexerox123 posted:

If they can rehire Dan Harmon, think of what is possible.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its nice that they gave him an in if he wants it.

Overall, I wasn't super impressed with this episode. It really felt like a retread of the other action eps theyve done. Maybe its because I havent seen most of the movies they were referencing? I dunno.

I liked that Britta took a stand in this one, and she had some funny lines, but overall.....meh.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Overall, I wasn't super impressed with this episode. It really felt like a retread of the other action eps theyve done. Maybe its because I havent seen most of the movies they were referencing? I dunno.

I liked that Britta took a stand in this one, and she had some funny lines, but overall.....meh.

I mean, at this point, the action stuff is a mainstay of the show, and will happen every season. Having someone (Britta) be completely uninterested in the conceit and want to adress the underlying problem was refreshing.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

thexerox123 posted:

Done. :toxx:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Dialogue from the season finale has already leaked online guys, sorry to say:

Dean: "I have a message. Jeffrey... Troy Barnes yacht... it went down... in the Sea of Japan. It sank... there were no survivors."

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Max posted:

I mean, at this point, the action stuff is a mainstay of the show, and will happen every season. Having someone (Britta) be completely uninterested in the conceit and want to adress the underlying problem was refreshing.

Not to mention that I really felt the point of the game was, to the rest of the Study Group, more to have fun and enjoy a little Abed foolishness. In Paintball I they didn't go as far as to dress the part (except for Troy and Abed, relishing it) and in Paintball II they only had costumes because of another event. And they were annoyed with having to play the games.

Here, you got the feeling that everyone else was really enjoying the fun of playing these games. Jeff was laughing along with Garret's faux-history and Magnitude's drums. The money was important to them, but they liked the experience, too. And Troy (who wouldn't care about the money) and Abed (who started it in the first place) were relishing the chance to do one last adventure together.

It was only Britta's hyper-emotional sensitivity that picked up that there was something more going on with Abed. Well, with everyone.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Teek posted:

Dialogue from the season finale has already leaked online guys, sorry to say:

Dean: "I have a message. Jeffrey... Troy Barnes yacht... it went down... in the Sea of Japan. It sank... there were no survivors."

Ahem, excuse me, Dean Pelton would be Klinger in this analogy. :colbert:

Abed would be Radar. :goonsay:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Dead Snoopy posted:

these comments on Jeff...

You missed the best one:

"Jeffery is perfect. He's been playing hard to get but he's got some redeaning qualities. Like his chest. And the aviators. Oh the aviators. Mr. Winger is indean the best professor here."

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
Ratings are in, Community held its 1.1 rating!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

ashpanash posted:

Not to mention that I really felt the point of the game was, to the rest of the Study Group, more to have fun and enjoy a little Abed foolishness. In Paintball I they didn't go as far as to dress the part (except for Troy and Abed, relishing it) and in Paintball II they only had costumes because of another event. And they were annoyed with having to play the games.

Here, you got the feeling that everyone else was really enjoying the fun of playing these games. Jeff was laughing along with Garret's faux-history and Magnitude's drums. The money was important to them, but they liked the experience, too. And Troy (who wouldn't care about the money) and Abed (who started it in the first place) were relishing the chance to do one last adventure together.

It was only Britta's hyper-emotional sensitivity that picked up that there was something more going on with Abed. Well, with everyone.

Yeah, honestly, the prize this time just felt like a reason for the school to go bonkers again, and was then ignored. The only person to mention it is Buzz. No one else really seems to care about it specifically, the way they did with the Paintball prizes.

• Locked thread