Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
My brain refuses to process that airplane as anything other than a very flat anvil.

edit:
GIS-ing "flying wing concept" is a loving goldmine

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Wh… what direction is it going I can't tell. :psyduck:

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Oblique wings are awesome :colbert:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Terrible Robot posted:

GIS-ing "flying wing concept" is a loving goldmine

Hah, I remember seeing that thing in Popular Mechanics (*), decades ago. If I remember right it was supposed to be a supersonic flying wing. The fins and engine pods are supposed to swivel so it can take off and land with the wing leading edge roughly normal to airflow, and transition to the depicted swept configuration for supersonic flight. (edit: or maybe it was just high subsonic? don't remember honestly) Insane.

I also recognized your first image, which was a NASA funded engineering study conducted by MIT. Probably had some real engineering rigor behind it, though as the MIT PR makes clear, it isn't supposed to be a blueprint of something anyone should build just yet.

* AKA the preferred pre-Internet method for distributing dumb tech "concepts" dreamed up by design students

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 24, 2014

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Slo-Tek posted:

Note that Norman Bel Geddes pretty much smashed the blended wing bullshit out of the park in 1929. Yet to be exceeded.

http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/BelGeddesAirlinerNo4Page.htm

Whoa. I remember that from an episode of Tale Spin way back in the day!

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Popular Mechanics Cover Art Chat

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

FullMetalJacket posted:

If only your opinion was valid. Lifting bodies/blended wing designs offer big advantages over the conventional tube and stick. The lift coefficient and efficiency gains alone are enough reason to produce them instead of just being parasite/surface drag/dirty air factories.

engines on wing pylons are huge sources of parasite drag. it's much more efficient to place engines at the back of the airframe where they don't create dirty air for the airframe to sort out and not disturb the boundary layer of airflow on the wings.

Unless you can show me some solidworks flow modelling or some other aerodynamic explanation for this, I'm calling bullshit. I would say pylon mounted engines have almost no effect on the boundary layer of airflow on the wings, nor do they create dirty air for the airframe (are you talking about the fuselage here?) to sort out.

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
Yo linedance, were you affected by the lhr staffing changes announced yesterday? Please say no :unsmith:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Visited the National Naval Aviation Museum again yesterday, just putting in another plug for what is easily one of the top 10 aviation museums on the planet, if not the top 5.

While I was poking around on their website I came across this story, which is hilarious. Putting the boat in flying boat.

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

benito posted:

Sky Whale!

Reminds me of something from Star Trek: TNG.

Here are some of his other ideas.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

How long would it take to disembark by junk?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

One Eye Open posted:

These make the Sky Whale look pedestrian. A rocket with the diameter of a 747 launched from the top of a C5 with dildos on the wings.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

darknrgy posted:

I HATE PLANES THAT STAY IN ONE PIECE :argh:

Oh, sweet! nevermind

What the gently caress happens to the people?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I sincerely hope they all have ejector seats just to add to the hilarity.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Breakfast All Day posted:

These make the Sky Whale look pedestrian. A rocket with the diameter of a 747 launched from the top of a C5 with dildos on the wings.

ProjectAces needs to hire this guy for their next game.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

One Eye Open posted:

Someone tell him that Kerbal Space Program is NOT a CFD program.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I'm sorry, there is only one SkyWhale, and it already exists. :colbert:

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Flying wing and/or lifting body chat is never complete without:

Wiki posted:

The findings of the investigation stated that the B-2 crashed after "heavy, lashing rains" caused water to enter skin-flush air-data sensors. The data from the sensors are used to calculate numerous factors including airspeed, altitude, and attitude. Because three pressure transducers had been improperly calibrated by the maintenance crew due to condensation inside devices, the flight-control computers calculated inaccurate aircraft angle of attack and airspeed. Incorrect airspeed data on cockpit displays led to the aircraft rotating 12 knots slower than indicated. After the wheels lifted from the runway, which caused the flight control system to switch to different control laws, the erroneously sensed negative angle of attack caused the computers to inject a sudden, 1.6‑g, uncommanded 30-degree pitch-up maneuver. The combination of slow lift-off speed and the extreme angle of attack (and attendant drag) resulted in an unrecoverable stall, yaw, and descent. Both crew members successfully ejected from the aircraft soon after the left wing tip started to gouge the ground alongside the runway. The aircraft impacted the ground, tumbled, and burned after its fuel ignited.

Fly-by-wire/-light is cool but there is such a thing as increased risk from too much reliance on it. The F-117 would never fly without computer control, which is an inexcusable crime unless your mission involves dodging SAMs.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
F-35: still hosed.

quote:

A new U.S. Defense Department report warns that ongoing software, maintenance and reliability problems with Lockheed Martin Corp's F-35 stealth fighter could delay the Marine Corps' plans to start using its F-35 jets by mid-2015.

The latest report by the Pentagon's chief weapons tester, Michael Gilmore, provides a detailed critique of the F-35's technical challenges, and focuses heavily on what it calls the "unacceptable" performance of the plane's software, according to a 25-page draft obtained by Reuters.

(...)

Gilmore's report acknowledged the F-35's progress in 2013 on flight testing, despite government furloughs and two fleet-wide groundings. But it said the program was still struggling to integrate the plane's "mission systems," or sensors, weapons and other equipment needed for use in military operations.

The current software generated too many nuisance warnings and resulted in poor sensor performance. Further work on software had been slowed by testing required to validate earlier fixes, the report said.

It said Lockheed had delivered F-35 jets with 50 percent or less of the software capabilities required by its production contracts with the Pentagon.

The computer-based logistics system known as ALIS was fielded with "serious deficiencies" and remained behind schedule, which affected servicing of existing jets needed for flight testing, the report said. It said the ALIS diagnostic system failed to meet even basic requirements.

But the most immediate concern involved the Block 2B version of the software that must be completed in order for the Marines to start using the jets from July 2015.

"Initial results with the new increment of Block 2B software indicate deficiencies still exist in fusion, radar, electronic warfare, navigation, electro-optical target system, distributed aperture system, helmet-mounted display system, and datalink," the report said, noting the problems could delay efforts to complete Block 2B development and flight test.

The report cited projections that the 2B software would not be completed until November 2015, 13 months later than planned. This would delay release to the F-35 fleet until July 2016, a year after the Marines want to start using the jets.

It said there is also little margin for any weight growth...

They'll get that laser in there any decade now.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
x-posted from the GBS F-35 thread

what why how I don't even

ed: not timg'd because this shitshow is just as broken as your tables

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

buttcrackmenace posted:

Counterpoint: Laser.

Your move. :colbert:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
At this point it almost seems like it would have been better to keep pounding away at the air-superiority F-22, then retrofit ground strike improvements to that airframe later. If only because that seemed to work for the F-15 -> F-15E and the F-16 series. Or is there something very different about the two programs I'm missing?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Davin Valkri posted:

At this point it almost seems like it would have been better to keep pounding away at the air-superiority F-22, then retrofit ground strike improvements to that airframe later. If only because that seemed to work for the F-15 -> F-15E and the F-16 series. Or is there something very different about the two programs I'm missing?

Nope. Turning a great fighter into a great bomber is a lot easier than turning an expensive fat disaster into a mediocre everything.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Davin Valkri posted:

The F-22 was very expensive and not really destined for export, the F-35 was meant as a cheaper light fighter.

Then of course cost ballooned, the F-35 is now loving expensive to the point where it might not get exported all that much.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yeah if Canada ends up buying that thing I'll eat my hat because it'll be a loving political NIGHTMARE. Though the conservative government seems hell-bent in wasting as much money as possible on defence projects, like several billion dollars for a few tenders.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

Yeah if Canada ends up buying that thing I'll eat my hat because it'll be a loving political NIGHTMARE. Though the conservative government seems hell-bent in wasting as much money as possible on defence projects, like several billion dollars for a few tenders.

Don't get me started on that loving polar icebreaker.

You know we're going to end up with the F-35, though. There's no way Harper's going to budge on that.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Lord Harper demands a cool-looking plane to snort coke off of. :colbert:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

buttcrackmenace posted:

Aerospace version of Herpes. :drat:

Back to the sky whale, I really want to see it go through a high blow test. Preferably from half a mile away.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 24, 2014

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Davin Valkri posted:

The F-22 is the night 0 kick in the door fighter. In addition to world beating air to air capability, it has (most of) the necessary air to mud capability to fill that specific role (SEAD/DEAD/Strategic Attack on night 0, basically what we used to use the F-117 for) with the recently fielded Increment 3.1...internal carriage of 8 SDBs (or 2 GBU-32s if you need something bigger), basic SAR capability, the ability to receive info via datalink for dynamic targeting, and the ability to execute on board retargeting. Furthermore, it's worth mentioning that pretty much everything that is missing here (transmit datalink capability with MADL, more advanced SAR capability, geolocation avionics) was either deleted from the spiral development program or delayed due to funding difficulties...difficulties largely resulting from the F-35. So while the Raptor isn't going to be a bomb truck in Afghanistan v3, it was never supposed to be. That's supposed to be the F-35's wicket.

The question you should be asking is why we needed to put (lovely) LO capability on the aircraft that we're going to be using as a day 30 bomb truck, or put another way, why are we pretending that our bomb truck is going to be survivable on night 0? Just one of the many questions regarding the F-35.

But Bob Gates is an airpower guru so clearly he made the right decision to cut Raptors in favor of more F-35s.

Also lol at the idea of STOVL fighters as aerospace herpes. They really are, in so many different ways.

e: That doesn't get into the point regarding export, which is valid insofar as we were never going to sell the Raptor to anyone. But it doesn't answer the question of why F-35s were necessary for our allies since they could've gotten new build Block 60s or Super Bugs or something for a fraction of the cost with the only loss being (lovely) LO...and it's not like any of them are going to need to go toe to toe with an advanced IADS unless they're just tagging along with another one of our misadventures.

e2: If ALIS is anything like the F-22's IMIS (and I assume it is), it can't be anything other than a steaming pile of dog poo poo. And I'm glad to see that the Marines are still pressing for a 2015 IOC date. After all, unnecessarily killing people through the introduction of underdeveloped and not fully tested equipment is kind of Marine Aviation's thing.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 24, 2014

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SCOTLAND posted:

Yo linedance, were you affected by the lhr staffing changes announced yesterday? Please say no :unsmith:

Not affecting maintenance. Yet. I wouldn't count on the eye or Sauron ignoring us forever though. There's a lot of factors and things in play that I wouldn't really want to comment on, but the writing is pretty clearly on the wall for those paranoid enough to read it.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Don't get me started on that loving polar icebreaker.

You know we're going to end up with the F-35, though. There's no way Harper's going to budge on that.

The CBC seems to think Dassault might have a chance.

I'd expect the Rafale is one of the cheaper options along with the Super Hornet, but I imagine it's still going to run in to "Buy American!" trouble.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

St_Ides posted:

The CBC seems to think Dassault might have a chance.

I'd expect the Rafale is one of the cheaper options along with the Super Hornet, but I imagine it's still going to run in to "Buy American!" trouble.

No chance the brits would happen to have a bunch of obsolete last generation fighter jets sitting around, never been used, that we could buy for five times the price? Cause that worked out great for the navy.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

iyaayas01 posted:

The question you should be asking is why we needed to put (lovely) LO capability on the aircraft that we're going to be using as a day 30 bomb truck, or put another way, why are we pretending that our bomb truck is going to be survivable on night 0? Just one of the many questions regarding the F-35.

Some idiots keep tossing out the idea that THE A-10 can't handle the MANPADS THREAT BRO. Which is obviously retarded as LO is designed as a radar threat defense, not IR. Slap some IR absorbant paint on an A-10 and it will handle the situation just as well as any other aircraft currently in the sky. We helicopters are down in the dirty every single day and we handle it - why do people think an A-10 is suddenly such a vulnerable shitheap?

The F-35 will have the exact same problem, when it comes to anything but an early war (pre SEAD/DEAD) situation.

Or am I completely misunderstanding the argument I've seen made numerous times?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Some idiots keep tossing out the idea that THE A-10 can't handle the MANPADS THREAT BRO. Which is obviously retarded as LO is designed as a radar threat defense, not IR. Slap some IR absorbant paint on an A-10 and it will handle the situation just as well as any other aircraft currently in the sky. We helicopters are down in the dirty every single day and we handle it - why do people think an A-10 is suddenly such a vulnerable shitheap?

The F-35 will have the exact same problem, when it comes to anything but an early war (pre SEAD/DEAD) situation.

Or am I completely misunderstanding the argument I've seen made numerous times?

Argument as I understand it isn't so much that the A-10 can't handle the MANPADS (it was pretty much exclusively designed to not be immediately murdered in a SA-9/ZSU-23 envelope, after all) as it is that these days we prefer to perform CAS in a stack from 20,000 ft more often than not because with PGMs we can perform the mission effectively with a lot less risk to the aircraft in a permissive environment (non-zero risk from small arms fire and MANPADS vs zero risk from the non-existent IADS), so there's no reason we can't use the F-35 for an A-10 replacement. The altitude thing is more or less valid (it's why pretty much everyone got restricted to medium altitude in Desert Storm after the Iraqi air defenses were taken down, and one of the reasons we spent a shitload of money on the Precision Engagement upgrade to the Hawgs so they can get out of the weeds and still employ effectively with JDAMs), but the overall argument misses the point that you can't always perform CAS from 20,000 ft and the related corollary, we can't plan for nothing but CAS in a completely permissive environment. If you're in a more contested near-peer fight, it's possible that if we haven't completely taken down the bad guys IADS the less risky option would be lower altitude. In any case, it's not like the F-35 has the ability to just hang out at 20,000 ft in a S-300s MEZ. So either it's going to be at 20,000 ft in a permissive environment (in which case why not use a legacy fighter that is just as capable of carrying a bunch of JDAMs) or it's going to be down in the weeds in a non-permissive environment (in which case, do you want the chunky plastic fighter or the one with a 30mm cannon and a titanium bathtub?)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

The F-22 is the night 0 kick in the door fighter. In addition to world beating air to air capability, it has (most of) the necessary air to mud capability to fill that specific role (SEAD/DEAD/Strategic Attack on night 0, basically what we used to use the F-117 for) with the recently fielded Increment 3.1...internal carriage of 8 SDBs (or 2 GBU-32s if you need something bigger), basic SAR capability, the ability to receive info via datalink for dynamic targeting, and the ability to execute on board retargeting. Furthermore, it's worth mentioning that pretty much everything that is missing here (transmit datalink capability with MADL, more advanced SAR capability, geolocation avionics) was either deleted from the spiral development program or delayed due to funding difficulties...difficulties largely resulting from the F-35. So while the Raptor isn't going to be a bomb truck in Afghanistan v3, it was never supposed to be. That's supposed to be the F-35's wicket.

But Bob Gates is an airpower guru so clearly he made the right decision to cut Raptors in favor of more F-35s.

Also lol at the idea of STOVL fighters as aerospace herpes. They really are, in so many different ways.

e: That doesn't get into the point regarding export, which is valid insofar as we were never going to sell the Raptor to anyone. But it doesn't answer the question of why F-35s were necessary for our allies since they could've gotten new build Block 60s or Super Bugs or something for a fraction of the cost with the only loss being (lovely) LO...and it's not like any of them are going to need to go toe to toe with an advanced IADS unless they're just tagging along with another one of our misadventures.

e2: If ALIS is anything like the F-22's IMIS (and I assume it is), it can't be anything other than a steaming pile of dog poo poo. And I'm glad to see that the Marines are still pressing for a 2015 IOC date. After all, unnecessarily killing people through the introduction of underdeveloped and not fully tested equipment is kind of Marine Aviation's thing.

Crazy thing is if we want a lower observability bomb truck the F-15SE is a thing that exists.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

iyaayas01 posted:

it's going to be down in the weeds in a non-permissive environment (in which case, do you want the chunky plastic fighter or the one with a 30mm cannon and a titanium bathtub?)

Or the one where the pilot is safe and sound in a fart-filled trailer in Nevada

(I know we do this over and over)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

iyaayas01 posted:

And I'm glad to see that the Marines are still pressing for a 2015 IOC date. After all, unnecessarily killing people through the introduction of underdeveloped and not fully tested equipment is kind of Marine Aviation's thing.

This is a service that looked at operational attrition rates from forty years of single-engine powered-lift, and said "Yes. Let's do that all over again, but with exponentially more expensive aircraft!"

(They've written off fully a third of the AV-8B fleet in some thirty-odd years.)

So, ten percent losses per decade, and that's before anyone starts shooting at them.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Snowdens Secret posted:

Or the one where the pilot is safe and sound in a fart-filled trailer in Nevada

(I know we do this over and over)

And boy are they fart filled.

Also occasionally poo poo filled.

e: But to make a legitimate point, all RPAs like the Pred and Reaper are good for is permissive environment loitering at 20,000 ft. The idea of them getting down in the weeds is hilarious to me.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 24, 2014

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

hobbesmaster posted:

Crazy thing is if we want a lower observability bomb truck the F-15SE is a thing that exists.

Well, a thing that might exist for 120mil a throw. So it isn't like existing infrastructure and experience shaves off that many dollars from what a 5th-ish generation fighter appears to cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The advantage of the Pred/Reapers isn't that they're more survivable, it's that if one does go down, and aircraft will go down, it's a fairly cheap (possibly less than an S-300 missile) loss and the pilot is safe.

This is from David Axe so it's probably exaggerated, but:

quote:

In the 1980s the U.S. Air Force planned to deploy 68 A-10 warplanes to each of six Forward Operating Locations in West Germany in the event of war with the Soviets. The twin-engine A-10s, with their 30-millimeter guns and Maverick missiles, were NATO’s main tank-killing weapon.

According to the latest issue of Combat Aircraft, the flying branch predicted that, if the A-10s went into action, seven percent of the jets would be lost per 100 sorties. Since each pilot was expected to fly at most four missions per day, each base would in theory generate more than 250 sorties daily. At this pace, a seven-percent loss rate per 100 flights equaled at least 10 A-10s shot down at each FOL every 24 hours — and that’s being conservative.

At that rate, in less than two weeks the entire A-10 force at the time — around 700 jets — would have been destroyed and the pilots killed, injured, captured or, at the very least, very shook up.

The closest thing to an enduring non-permissive air environment anyone's seen in ages is probably Syria, where everything from MANPADS to AAA to small arms to probably some sort of propane tank-hurling trebuchet has been used to put the hurt on Assad's helicopter fleet and score kills against fixed-wing assets. Both sides there are pretty far from US near-peers in quantity, capability or tactics, of course.