Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I like the new mask. It looks more practical than the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm guessing representations of Slade that we have seen in stuff like Arkham Origins and Injustice and in the comics and cartoons in general, I guess, are anatomically impossible? Well the head gear, I mean. Well I suppose normally it would be a mask and those never look the same in real life, but in Arkham origins, its actually a helmet looking thing. Here it looks a bit over sized, but I am wondering if that is because when video games give him a helmet, they essentially shrink his head so the helmet doesn't look big.

Yeah, I don't think that's possible to put on nor take off in any way. The material also looks like some weird synthetic.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
The Origins mask seems like it'd be even harder for him to see to his right than it should be with having just a left eye.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kingtheninja posted:

The Origins mask seems like it'd be even harder for him to see to his right than it should be with having just a left eye.

To get an idea of how much of an opening you need for a wide field of vision, look at modern motorcycle helmets. Granted, those aren't sitting right on the face, but still.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Slade's arc in Arrow actually makes Deathstroke an interesting character. I love how good the show has treated Slade and his reveal at the end was trully awesome.
Also I feel like there is going to be some epically awesome fight between Slade and Roy before this season is done.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Madkal posted:

Slade's arc in Arrow actually makes Deathstroke an interesting character. I love how good the show has treated Slade and his reveal at the end was trully awesome.
Also I feel like there is going to be some epically awesome fight between Slade and Roy before this season is done.

Roy's either going to be the cavalry, saving Ollie, or he's the sacrificial lamb, the superpowered dork who gets his rear end handed to him so that Oliver looks more awesome when he can win without powers. Probably the latter, I think.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gaz-L posted:

Roy's either going to be the cavalry, saving Ollie, or he's the sacrificial lamb, the superpowered dork who gets his rear end handed to him so that Oliver looks more awesome when he can win without powers. Probably the latter, I think.

Oh I think it will definitely be Olly who puts Slade down in the end, but I can see Roy going after Slade thinking he's ready and tough enough only to get a beatdown like no other.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The thing with Slade is that, stealing a gif from TVIV, he looks even better minus the mask.

Also since it's casting news, and there's no way BSS doesn't know who they are, Flash is following the Arrow route of having a poo poo load of villains showing up and have both Zoom and Killer Frost in the pilot.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

The thing with Slade is that, stealing a gif from TVIV, he looks even better minus the mask.

Also since it's casting news, and there's no way BSS doesn't know who they are, Flash is following the Arrow route of having a poo poo load of villains showing up and have both Zoom and Killer Frost in the pilot.

The one thing about Slade in recent episodes is that I'm drawn out of the show wondering exactly how they're dealing with the flashback/modern day beard difference. Is it makeup, or batch-filming scenes? Inconsequential to the story, but it's been on my mind.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Zoom in the pilot? Isn't that jumping the gun a bit?

I mean, whether it's Professor or Hunter Zolomon, Zoom's entire origin is pretty tied to the Flash already being a long-established name. You have to save that poo poo until at least the third season.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Zoom was pretty clearly hinted at in Barry Allen's guest spot on Arrow, and is pretty much the source of Barry wanting to be a hero, so it should be a very long term thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

It's eerie how they took a character that seemed nothing like the original at first and now he looks and in a lot of ways acts exactly like Deathstroke. The slightly greying hair is a great touch.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Zoom was pretty clearly hinted at in Barry Allen's guest spot on Arrow, and is pretty much the source of Barry wanting to be a hero, so it should be a very long term thing.

Yeah, time travel is kind of tricky like that. I do almost wonder if they're going to do Killer Frost or combine her with Captain Cold, because having two villains with very, very similar gimmicks seems a bit much, but you'd think Cold would've been the one to pick, being as he's the iconic Flash villain. On the other hand, having another woman in the cast is a plus, and probably why they picked that character.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Zoom in the pilot? Isn't that jumping the gun a bit?

I mean, whether it's Professor or Hunter Zolomon, Zoom's entire origin is pretty tied to the Flash already being a long-established name. You have to save that poo poo until at least the third season.

Well the guy is cast as Eddie Thawne, a new detective at the precinct that Barry works at. He's not just showing up as Zoom right off that bat even though it was very heavily hinted at in the Arrow episode. Also cast was Caitlin Snow and it just lists her as a bioengineering expert that lost her husband in the S.T.A.R. Labs explosion. I assume she'll probably be the first villain in that case.

X-O fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 26, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Gaz-L posted:

It's eerie how they took a character that seemed nothing like the original at first and now he looks and in a lot of ways acts exactly like Deathstroke. The slightly greying hair is a great touch.

Yeah, time travel is kind of tricky like that. I do almost wonder if they're going to do Killer Frost or combine her with Captain Cold, because having two villains with very, very similar gimmicks seems a bit much, but you'd think Cold would've been the one to pick, being as he's the iconic Flash villain. On the other hand, having another woman in the cast is a plus, and probably why they picked that character.

They bring Killer Frost in, that means Raymond/Stein Firestorm right right?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Deadpool posted:

Well the guy is cast as Eddie Thawne, a new detective at the precinct that Barry works at. He's not just showing up as Zoom right off that bat even though it was very heavily hinted at in the Arrow episode. Also cast was Caitlin Snow and it just lists her as a bioengineering expert that lost her husband in the S.T.A.R. Labs explosion. I assume she'll probably be the first villain in that case.

Yeah I'm sure there'll be stuff dragged out through the series but Thawne is being cast with ~a mysterious past~ and the Arrow episodes with Flash already showed him killing Barry's father so it's all there.

devoir posted:

The one thing about Slade in recent episodes is that I'm drawn out of the show wondering exactly how they're dealing with the flashback/modern day beard difference. Is it makeup, or batch-filming scenes? Inconsequential to the story, but it's been on my mind.

TV magic has ways for these things.

Whatever it is though it's done a hell of a lot better than Ollies hilarious flashback wigs.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jan 26, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Waterhaul posted:

Whatever it is though it's done a hell of a lot better than Ollies hilarious flashback wigs.

I love the flashback wigs if only because of how much Stephen Amell complains about them.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
I'm always late to the party when it comes to TV shows, so I only just watched the first two episodes of Arrow tonight. I was a bit gun-shy, even after reading this thread, thanks to memories of Smallville. But goddamn that is a good show. Much better than I ever expected, especially in the dialogue and acting departments. The only (minor) complaint came from my wife: "are we going to have to watch him work out every episode?"

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
They can't fix things if there's no problem.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Arrow is the only show that doesn't discriminate and allows abs for everybody. This should never change :colbert:

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
My wife (who wasn't watching the show yet) asked if he was training for Sasuske.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

TV magic has ways for these things.

You made my day. I don't even want to know the context.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

Arrow is the only show that doesn't discriminate and allows abs for everybody. This should never change :colbert:

That's pretty much what I said. I apparently married a woman who isn't impressed by a sculpted physique. Unless it's Hemsworth, of course.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Chaos Hippy posted:

I'm always late to the party when it comes to TV shows, so I only just watched the first two episodes of Arrow tonight. I was a bit gun-shy, even after reading this thread, thanks to memories of Smallville. But goddamn that is a good show. Much better than I ever expected, especially in the dialogue and acting departments. The only (minor) complaint came from my wife: "are we going to have to watch him work out every episode?"

If anything there has been a sad lack of working out in the new season.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The entirety of the Arrow advertisements before it first aired here in Australia was literally just a two second shot of him on an island followed by about thirty seconds of him working his way up the weights rack.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Dan Didio posted:

The entirety of the Arrow advertisements before it first aired here in Australia was literally just a two second shot of him on an island followed by about thirty seconds of him working his way up the weights rack.

Every single poster for Arrow before it premiered was him without his shirt on just standing there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ToastyPotato posted:

Every single poster for Arrow before it premiered was him without his shirt on just standing there.

Honestly It made me not want to even considering checking out the show. It's like Heroes, even to this day I can't be bothered to select it on netflix because the ads were just so terrible and pissed me off.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Arrow is, so far, significantly better than Heroes. Though I am including everything that Heroes was, not just the first season which was pretty decent. Arrow is also better than any superhero show I can think of right now.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Honestly It made me not want to even considering checking out the show. It's like Heroes, even to this day I can't be bothered to select it on netflix because the ads were just so terrible and pissed me off.

This is what I thought until about 24 hours ago. I've watched 6 episodes since then, and I normally don't even watch TV. The last show to really grab my interest was Firefly.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Throughout the latest episode of Arrow all I could think of is "they have introduced Vertigo, Deadshot, Waller, and Bronze Tiger, I wonder if they are building up to Suicide Squad" knowing that the Suicide Squad is one of my favourite comicbooks, and then Waller came and said the words. I clapped with glee.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Further pilot season news: CW has ordered iZombie to pilot, and Neil Marshall will direct the Constantine pilot.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I really didn't want to watch Constantine but I'll have to give a Neil Marshall directed pilot a shot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really hope iZombie doesn't take off, I absolutely hated the comic and couldn't take it being the Hot New Zombie Show everyone won't shut up about.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

I really hope iZombie doesn't take off, I absolutely hated the comic and couldn't take it being the Hot New Zombie Show everyone won't shut up about.

Aside from the rushed ending, what didn't you like about iZombie?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Soonmot posted:

Aside from the rushed ending, what didn't you like about iZombie?

The dialogue was like rusty nails being driven into my brain. I only read 2 issues but that was more than enough for me.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Lurdiak posted:

The dialogue was like rusty nails being driven into my brain. I only read 2 issues but that was more than enough for me.

Well, the plot was pretty cool.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Looks like John Constantine WILL be British in the show.

edit - Assuming this isn't utter BS, which is likely.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe they can get Hugh Laurie, have him use his real accent. Laugh at focus groups saying his fake British accent is horrible

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

greatn posted:

Maybe they can get Hugh Laurie, have him use his real accent. Laugh at focus groups saying his fake British accent is horrible

TV Exec - "No, no, no, that sounds terrible. Let's get that British kid who played 'Spike' on Buffy!"

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Medullah posted:

TV Exec - "No, no, no, that sounds terrible. Let's get that British kid who played 'Spike' on Buffy!"

You laugh but you realize this is a possibility right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

You laugh but you realize this is a possibility right?

As I typed it I realized that young Spike pretty much WAS young John, so it really could work.