Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Dammit people, the puppets part of Vince's song has nothing to do with the previous line. It's "PUPPETS! Will find their place in line..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
They're saying "Muppets". The whole song is about Miz.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

THE GAYEST APPAREL posted:

They're saying "Muppets". The whole song is about Miz.

Miz? It's about Puppet H. Everything is about Triple H.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Are there any 'forgotten' gimmick match types? Stuff that sounded like a good idea at the time, but afterwards, everyone else who watched agreed that they are never doing that again.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Coal Miner's Glove

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Unlucky7 posted:

Are there any 'forgotten' gimmick match types? Stuff that sounded like a good idea at the time, but afterwards, everyone else who watched agreed that they are never doing that again.

The odds are pretty high that we'll never see another Punjabi Prison match.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Reverse Battle Royal?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Unlucky7 posted:

Funny you should ask: http://www.wwe.com/videos/wwe-rankd-extremely-bad-gimmick-matches-26114659

Also a good amount of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_wrestling_match_types

Where does the term "Catch as Catch Can" come from? I know what it means, I just don't get the phrase itself. Catch as catch can what?

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

sticklefifer posted:

Where does the term "Catch as Catch Can" come from? I know what it means, I just don't get the phrase itself. Catch as catch can what?

It's probably a really old British/Irish colloquialism. I'm guessing it may have once been catch as can catch but over time it became catch as catch can.

English is weird.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Unlucky7 posted:

- Mike Adamle's Championship Scramble.
- Undertaker did a bunch of Bodybag Matches against Ultimate Warrior at house shows, a couple years before they realized that caskets would work better.
- Bret Hart lost the title to Bob Backlund in a Towel Match, which they've thankfully never done again because it's theoretically impossible for the face to win.
- Randy Savage and Crush had a variation of a Falls Count Anywhere Match where you had to pin the guy outside the ring and then he had ten seconds to make it back into the ring.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Gavok posted:

- Bret Hart lost the title to Bob Backlund in a Towel Match, which they've thankfully never done again because it's theoretically impossible for the face to win.

I believe you, but why is it impossible for the face to win?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Unlucky7 posted:

Do they still do hair matches? Or has the fading away of the mullet made it no longer viable?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shima Honnou posted:

Do they still do hair matches? Or has the fading away of the mullet made it no longer viable?

Hair matches are still huge in Mexico.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Swagger Dagger posted:

I believe you, but why is it impossible for the face to win?

Slightly exaggerated to say literally impossible, but is very in heel's favor. Face's cornerman is more likely to care about him and throw in the towel, than the heel's cornerman cares about him.

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 25, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jscolon2.0 posted:

Slightly exagerrated to say literally impossible, but is very in heel's favor. Face's cornerman is more likely to care about him and throw in the towerl, than the heel's cornerman cares about him.

A heel is also more likely to give in and beg for the towel to be thrown in.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

The monster truck sumo match? :v:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
RAW Bowl

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

jscolon2.0 posted:

Slightly exaggerated to say literally impossible, but is very in heel's favor. Face's cornerman is more likely to care about him and throw in the towel, than the heel's cornerman cares about him.

Right. It was Owen Hart in Bob Backlund's corner and I kept wondering why he would ever throw the towel in, since they were both heels and it was never established that they were close or anything.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Unlucky7 posted:

Battlebowl

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lion's Den matches seem to be a thing of the past, as well.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Funny you should ask: http://www.wwe.com/videos/wwe-rankd-extremely-bad-gimmick-matches-26114659

Also a good amount of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_wrestling_match_types

That video doesn't really hold. Santina/Vickie was a hog pen match, wasn't it? And I'm certain somebody had a tuxedo match with Ricardo a couple years back.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.
As someone who hasn't had access to the SAP audio for RAW for a while, about how much leeway did/does the current Spanish announce team have when talking about current angles or calling a match? I always used to laugh when they'd called Mason Ryan "Batista II" and was pretty amazed that they scooped the official English language WWE team by calling Reigns, Rollins & Ambrose "THe SHeild" about a week before they official used that name.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Gavok posted:

Right. It was Owen Hart in Bob Backlund's corner and I kept wondering why he would ever throw the towel in, since they were both heels and it was never established that they were close or anything.

Outside of that particular one, heels can be friends though. A Brock/Heyman Towel match could probably be pretty good. All hail the Brock Lock.

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

SirDippingSauce posted:

As someone who hasn't had access to the SAP audio for RAW for a while, about how much leeway did/does the current Spanish announce team have when talking about current angles or calling a match? I always used to laugh when they'd called Mason Ryan "Batista II"

This is the best thing ever and I kinda want to find a way to have subtitled Spanish commentary now.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Unlucky7 posted:

Scaffold matches, for the most part. They're dangerous and they're boring as poo poo.

sticklefifer posted:

Translate "catch" to "hold." It means "take any hold you can get."

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Can't see an actual "set your opponent on fire" Inferno match ever being held again.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Dammit people, the puppets part of Vince's song has nothing to do with the previous line. It's "PUPPETS! Will find their place in line..."
Nah it's "better find a drat place in line"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Thauros posted:

Can't see an actual "set your opponent on fire" Inferno match ever being held again.
Outside something like CZW, yeah.

Besides gimmick matches that were done once and never again (I'm not holding my breath for another King of the Road match) one thing you don't really see any more are 60-minute broadways. They were slow and boring even when wrestling was slower than it is now, and you could usually figure out in the first 10 minutes when a match was going to be an hour-long broadway.

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

Has anyone heard of a westler named The Great Schmenge?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I vaguely remember reading something years ago about an exploding glass cage death match?

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

I haven't seen an Empty Arena match in a long time, and those were pretty common in the old days.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Outside something like CZW, yeah.

Besides gimmick matches that were done once and never again (I'm not holding my breath for another King of the Road match) one thing you don't really see any more are 60-minute broadways. They were slow and boring even when wrestling was slower than it is now, and you could usually figure out in the first 10 minutes when a match was going to be an hour-long broadway.

Not 60 minute, but NJPW did two 30 minute broadway main event matches last year. Okada and Tanahashi had a widely predicted one during the G1, as well as a Nakamura/Okada vs Tanahashi/Naito (four Dome main eventers) tag match on the last big house show before the Dome. Both were rather well received by the crowd and got ****+ from Big Dave.

omgomgomg posted:

I haven't seen an Empty Arena match in a long time, and those were pretty common in the old days.

Just watch TNA or AJPW :downsrim:.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 25, 2014

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

I vaguely remember reading something years ago about an exploding glass cage death match?

I believe FMW once planned that for a match involving Onita sometime in the mid-90s, but people realised that having a glass cage, rigged with explosives, might just be bit too dangerous even for FMW and cancelled the idea.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
What was the reason for eliminating the King of the Ring PPV? Was it buyrates? Surely King of the Ring would bring in more viewers than Over The Limit or Battleground or whatever.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Astro7x posted:

What was the reason for eliminating the King of the Ring PPV? Was it buyrates? Surely King of the Ring would bring in more viewers than Over The Limit or Battleground or whatever.

It was a lame gimmick that rarely did anything for the guy who won it, and WWE hates tournaments anyway.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Astro7x posted:

It did really poorly on PPV because fans didn't see it as important and hate paying for unknown matches. Same reason Cyber Sunday was such a failure. KOTR couldn't even bring in ratings for the special 3 hour Raws it was on.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Was it just me or was King of the Ring similar to the Rumble in that it guaranteed a title shot, but at Summerslam instead of Mania? I know Brock won it in 2002 and they storyline-d it into making him the #1 contender for the title, but I can't remember if that was just an in-general #1 contender or if it was specifically to get a title shot at Summerslam.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's more like it was a gimmick that couldn't do anything for a guy who was already poo poo (like Billy Gunn), but could do plenty for a guy who could run with it. Bret, Owen, Stone Cold, they were all way better off after they won it than they were going in. Regal probably would have been too if he hadn't been Wellnessed like five minutes later.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Memento posted:

Was it just me or was King of the Ring similar to the Rumble in that it guaranteed a title shot, but at Summerslam instead of Mania? I know Brock won it in 2002 and they storyline-d it into making him the #1 contender for the title, but I can't remember if that was just an in-general #1 contender or if it was specifically to get a title shot at Summerslam.

That only happened a couple of times. Brock, Mabel..any others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

So I finally picked up WWE 2K14 and as I've been going through the 30 Years mode, I was curious about something.

Why was Flair being managed by Perfect going into his title match with Macho at Wrestlemania 8?