Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Niwrad posted:

I thought the Karolyi method was to pick based on performance over say the year instead of one event. I know the figure skating selections were scrutinized but I don't necessarily think that's a bad path to take. Wagner has a much better resume and is likely a better figure skater than the woman she was selected over. Choosing over one performance as opposed to the culmination of many seems unfair to me. Isn't the US one of the few countries that did it that way?

Regarding the figure skating, a few things: First, the US has never had to do this because the stuff at Nationals has always shook out the right way even if the skaters weren't in the "right order". Going into 2010, Evan Lysacek was 3rd at Nationals but they had three men's spots so it didn't matter. If they'd had two I am confident they would have bumped Weir or Abbott for him (probably Abbott, who is a beautiful skater with major headcase issues).

Second, I love Mirai but she has had a very bad four year cycle for the most part and people are scrutinizing the wrong thing anyway. It shouldn't be Mirai vs Wagner getting squinted at, it should be Mirai vs Edmunds. Mirai, Gracie, and Ashley all get great scores when they hit (I mentioned this in another thread but Mirai has serious underrotation problems with her jumps that holds her back even when she's not a splatfest), but the Olympics will be Edmunds' first senior international event and right now she has a very junior style of skating and program. Taking Wagner was absolutely the right thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yeah curling is still going to be live and uncut on like MSNBC or something right?

Most of the curling, and hockey will be spread between CNBC, MSNBC, and USA. Some of the hockey will also wind up on NBC Sports Network.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yeah curling is still going to be live and uncut on like MSNBC or something right?

Edit: Never mind, I missed the complete explanation right above this post. I'll put up a curling thread soon - I've been meaning to do it for a while now.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
When does the Olympic subforum get opened up?

E: Here are ESPN's plans for their Super Bowl coverage. http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2014..._medium=twitter

quote:

Anywho, ESPN will provide more than 115 hours of TV and radio coverage from... wherever the Super Bowl is. They'll have two running sets the entire week, including one from in front of Macy's on 34th and Broadway at Herald Square. That will be the main site of Sunday NFL Countdown and much of the network's studio programming. A secondary set in Times Square will house SportsCenter segments as well as SVP & Russillo.

ESPN will run a ton of shows all next week from New York and Bristol to lead up to the big game. Monday-Friday will feature SportsCenter specials each day at 2:30 p.m. ET leading into NFL Insiders and NFL Live. Pardon the Interruption will also be live from Times Square on Friday, Jan. 31.

Only a matter of time before we're getting pregame shows to the pregame shows. Embrace all of the debate!

Benne fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 25, 2014

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
In other news, 21st Century Fox has acquired an 80% share of the YES Network, so expect to see 600 Yankees games on FS1 this year.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Benne posted:

In other news, 21st Century Fox has acquired an 80% share of the YES Network, so expect to see 600 Yankees games on FS1 this year.

That's not how Fox's contract with MLB works and there are a lot of teams on FSN regional channels already.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Would Fox have any interest/ability to rebrand YES under the Fox Sports banner?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

TL posted:

They've already done it with Sports Time Ohio around here.

Frankly I'm shocked they've just not merged the two channels yet. (There's still a Fox Sports Ohio for some reason).

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

leokitty posted:

That's not how Fox's contract with MLB works and there are a lot of teams on FSN regional channels already.

I think he ripped off this joke

https://twitter.com/stevelepore/status/426864605478932480

quote:

Fox's acquisition of a majority stake in YES means there will be approximately 400 Yankee games on FS1 this season.

Also, I know Fox hasn't renamed some regional channels into Fox Sports whatever, so who knows.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

They've already done it with Sports Time Ohio around here.

Frankly I'm shocked they've just not merged the two channels yet. (There's still a Fox Sports Ohio for some reason).

Sports Time Ohio is Cleveland Fox Sports Ohio is Cincy, iirc.

edit: yep STO is the Indians, Browns, Akron, Cleveland State while FSO is Cavaliers (because Cincy doesn't have an NBA team), Reds, Bluejackets, Crew, Xavier, and Cincinnati.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 25, 2014

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

TL posted:

I'm just a layman, but the YES brand actually seems strong and I don't see a reason to screw with it.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Yeah, soon after the news broke, this came from a reliable source:

Neil Best ‏@sportswatch 20h
Per Fox source: Company does not expect to re-brand @YESNetwork.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The guy who made First Take what it is might move to the Today Show

http://deadspin.com/sources-espn-first-take-boss-in-talks-with-nbc-to-prod-1509995051

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Peanut President posted:

Sports Time Ohio is Cleveland Fox Sports Ohio is Cincy, iirc.

edit: yep STO is the Indians, Browns, Akron, Cleveland State while FSO is Cavaliers (because Cincy doesn't have an NBA team), Reds, Bluejackets, Crew, Xavier, and Cincinnati.

They really need to share programming. Tier 1 and Tier 2. Too often the Blue Jackets are bumped for the Cavs.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Technically there are 3 Fox Sports channels in Ohio.

There's Fox Sports Sports Time Ohio (Cleveland)
Fox Sports Ohio (Northern Ohio)
Fox Sports Ohio (Southern Ohio)

The last two mostly share programming except for live sporting events like the Reds.

Sports Time Ohio is a pretty decent channel, since it was independent it has a lot of original programming and HS sports. The other two are absolute garbage except for Reds games. I can't speak for Blue Jackets or Cavs games though because I don't care.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Grantland's latest 30 for 30 short is excellent and worth your time.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Who wants 8 more games of Phil Simms?

quote:

NEW YORK – The National Football League will team with long-time broadcast partner CBS to produce and televise Thursday Night Football for the 2014 season, it was announced today by NFL Commissioner ROGER GOODELL and LESLIE MOONVES, president and CEO of CBS Corp., and SEAN McMANUS, Chairman, CBS Sports.

CBS will air eight early season games that also will be simulcast on NFL Network. NFL Network will also televise eight late-season games in the run-up to the playoffs. The mix of games will include 14 on Thursday nights and two late-season games on Saturday.

The full slate of 16 regular-season games will be produced by CBS with its lead broadcasters and production team, including JIM NANTZ and PHIL SIMMS, on all Thursday night games. In a new twist, NFL Network hosts and analysts will be featured in the pregame, halftime and postgame shows along with CBS Sports announcers.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Finally an excuse for me to bitch about CBS.

I've been a Browns fan since 1999. Meaning that during my entire tenture of watching that terrible excuse for a football team the games have been on CBS.

The pregame show is just flat out bad. Not that it would be any different than any other NFL pre game show, but it gets frustrating to watch.

I mean, I used to like back in the day when they had Jim Nantz as the host with Primetime and Jerry Glanville.

Now? The crew they have now is pretty much awful. Shannon Sharpe is such a terrible shill for the Ravens, that it just seems to infect the entire studio. There's points in seasons I watch that it just becomes a giant AFC North circle jerk between him, Cowher, and Boomer Easison.

The announcers for the games themselves are so bad, I mute them in favor of the radio broadcast.

Just an outright terrible version of football all around.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Finally an excuse for me to bitch about CBS.

I've been a Browns fan since 1999. Meaning that during my entire tenture of watching that terrible excuse for a football team the games have been on CBS.

The pregame show is just flat out bad. Not that it would be any different than any other NFL pre game show, but it gets frustrating to watch.

I mean, I used to like back in the day when they had Jim Nantz as the host with Primetime and Jerry Glanville.

Now? The crew they have now is pretty much awful. Shannon Sharpe is such a terrible shill for the Ravens, that it just seems to infect the entire studio. There's points in seasons I watch that it just becomes a giant AFC North circle jerk between him, Cowher, and Boomer Easison.

The announcers for the games themselves are so bad, I mute them in favor of the radio broadcast.

Just an outright terrible version of football all around.

To be fair, Jim Donovan calls a pretty good game, and unless they're playing against a big-name opponent, I don't really blame CBS for not sending their A-team to a Browns game.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

CBS, if for the Big Bang Theory alone, did not need it. NBCSN/Fox Sports 1 needed this to establish more credibility. I guess TNT declined because it came close to basketball season, plus they were needed for whatever conflicts in October. ABC has some established programming, Fox probably still had to air the X-Factor, and NBC could use anything on Thursdays.

Seriously, the least likely network won

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DJExile posted:

To be fair, Jim Donovan calls a pretty good game, and unless they're playing against a big-name opponent, I don't really blame CBS for not sending their A-team to a Browns game.

Not in the least bit! He's actually my favorite Cleveland based announcer. He shows pure enthusiasm when the team actually does something good, and when he's interviewed on local Sports Talk? He blows me away with how GOOD he is with his knowledge of the team.

I miss "Browns Tonight" though. He used to host a round table with Dieken, and Sam Rutigliano discussing the team after every game on Monday nights.

It just would be nice to have it not be so awful across the board. NBC used to have a decent set of announcers back in the day to cover the league, to the point where even if you were getting the "B" or "C" team you were getting someone like Charlie Jones or Don Criqui to call it.

Solomon Wilcots is really, really bad ya'll.

Vertical Lime posted:

CBS, if for the Big Bang Theory alone, did not need it. NBCSN/Fox Sports 1 needed this to establish more credibility. I guess TNT declined because it came close to basketball season, plus they were needed for whatever conflicts in October. ABC has some established programming, Fox probably still had to air the X-Factor, and NBC could use anything on Thursdays.

Seriously, the least likely network won

CBS' sports division is pretty lackluster all things considered. CBSSN is pretty much useless and doesn't have the rights to anything.

At least with FS1, and NBCSN they're actually trying to develop themselves to create an alternative to ESPN.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 5, 2014

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If anything, this news is pretty much the final nail for NBC's Thursday night lineup.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Benne posted:

If anything, this news is pretty much the final nail for NBC's Thursday night lineup.

Not really. The final nail would have been NBC getting the NFL, because they could replace all their low-rated shows with football. With CBS getting it, they can just keep the same low-rated shows around to lose to football instead of sitcoms. They aren't going to come with NEW shows to put in the slot, why bother?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Adding 8 weeks of football really isn't going to change anyone's schedule too much. One night of the week just has its programming start a little later in the season.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Not in the least bit! He's actually my favorite Cleveland based announcer. He shows pure enthusiasm when the team actually does something good, and when he's interviewed on local Sports Talk? He blows me away with how GOOD he is with his knowledge of the team.

I don't know how deep his knowledge runs but god drat if I don't also love Tom Hamilton calling Indians games. Dude has a fantastic home run call. "SWUNGONNANBELTED!"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Wonder what impact, if any, it'll have on the thursday night college games

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DJExile posted:

I don't know how deep his knowledge runs but god drat if I don't also love Tom Hamilton calling Indians games. Dude has a fantastic home run call. "SWUNGONNANBELTED!"

Isn't that Chip Caray's call, too?

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Watching NFL games on CBS growing up was so boring that it was a chore to get through a quarter. Everything they did was so inoffensive and bland

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

BIZORT posted:

Watching NFL games on CBS growing up was so boring that it was a chore to get through a quarter. Everything they did was so inoffensive and bland
Much like CBS now.

In sports broadcasting news:

Awful Announcing posted:

MIKE FRANCESA REPORTEDLY JOINING FOX SPORTS 1

Ever since his radio program ended its lengthy simulcast run on YES Network, the question has been where Mike Francesa's future television home will be. We're now much closer to finding the answer. Newsday's Neil Best, who is as plugged in to all of Francesa's comings and goings as anyone, reports that it will be Fox Sports 1 that provides a national simulcast to Mike's On.

Michael_Scott_noooooooooo.flv

RalphTheWonderLlama
Jan 23, 2006

Baseball is serious business.
I dropped cable last summer. Is Kay and LaGrecas simulcast any good? I've actually come to the opinion that overt he last six years the radio show has become markedly less lovely.

That is to say, Kay is somewhat less of an idiot than he used to be.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

Much like CBS now.

In sports broadcasting news:

Michael_Scott_noooooooooo.flv

It's been about 6 months since Fox Sports 1 debuted, and I think they could use the boost from the Pope

Those people who rely on Francesa-related memes must be thrilled

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Oh no, I guess I'll have to continue never watching Fox Sports 1, said everyone on earth.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Jay and Dan deserve a better network :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Benne posted:

Jay and Dan deserve a better network :(

Problem is NBCSports is basically an afterthought for anything except hockey and I see them just getting ruined on ESPN. :sigh:

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

DJExile posted:

Problem is NBCSports is basically an afterthought for anything except hockey and I see them just getting ruined on ESPN. :sigh:
In a primetime slot, maybe, but ESPN has done a pretty good job in letting Dan LeBatard and Bomani be themselves.

e: Bomani is also probably the best person to be associated with ESPN in years, so he might be unique.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

DJExile posted:

I am pretty sure their EPL ratings are exceeding expectations, and obviously right now they have the Olympics which can't hurt either.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Fox Sports Live is a great show if it had come out 10-15 years ago in this country. I just think the audience for hour-long sports wrap-up shows is diminishing. I like what I've seen from it but I think most people (including myself) find out scores and highlights online.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Ace Jameson posted:

I am pretty sure their EPL ratings are exceeding expectations, and obviously right now they have the Olympics which can't hurt either.

Their first two days of Olympic coverage has set network ratings records. Doesn't hurt that it included high-profile events that in the past they wouldn't show on tv until much later. Plus they're gonna get rights to the back half of NASCAR season starting next year.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Kind of more of a fun topic to bring up, but....

Just was watching a special on "Primetime" on NFL Network, and it reminded me of this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO9jo8XkOfA

Is it bad I felt Tim McCarver deserved this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Mahoning posted:

Sports Time Ohio is a pretty decent channel, since it was independent it has a lot of original programming and HS sports. The other two are absolute garbage except for Reds games. I can't speak for Blue Jackets or Cavs games though because I don't care.

CBJ coverage on FSO is fine. Bill Davidge is a bit grating, but Jeff Rimer is cool because he's one of those people that has already forgotten more about hockey than I'll ever know. Plus, they're working Jody Shelley in as an Inside The Glass guy for some games and he's really drat good. They've also gone in just a few years from showing 75 games a year with just a handful in HD to covering the whole season not taken by NBC/NBCSN in SPECTACULAR high definition.

I'm bitter about STO being taken over by FOX because they kicked Pro Wrestling Ohio/PRIME Wrestling off the network for "not being a part of their desired programming portfolio". I don't get my hour of awful local wrestling anymore. :(