Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

revdrkevind posted:

This seems to come only from a naive reading of The Selfish Gene, I think because the larger career of Dawkins contains a possible resolution to the crisis the documentary wants to leave us with. Ironically, Dawkins published The Magic of Reality that same year partly in order to combat this image.

He made an entire documentary in the late eighties for people who he felt misunderstood what he was trying to say in The Selfish Gene:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA4dZ6NVNbk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Holy poo poo.

The Weird World Of BLOWFLY.
(I found the whole thing on Youtube, in 6 parts. It's also on Netflix)

We gonna take it to the stage. George Clinton is to Playboy as Blowfly is to Hustler.
(the very first song playing during the opening credits, he's singing over a disco funk groove, "Girrrrl let me cum in yo mouf")

I have a new idol.

Netflix posted:

Time hasn't mellowed caped comedian Blowfly -- aka Clarence Reid -- who's still dishing up lewd and rude rap ditties that could make folks half his age blush. This unflinching biopic follows the 69-year-old funk machine as he mounts a comeback tour.

one comment on there sums up the doc. It's not only about a 69-yr-old funk legend with a potty mouth, but also the challenges of taking a niche performance out on the road.

quote:

The story is absolutely about Clarence Reid. Its a documentary that tells about his influence as an artist with both his personas. It also tells about his failures as a person and as an artist who didn't know how to handle what he earned. That is the reality of Clarence and I think the documentary accurately depicts what his life was and is. Clarence is a complicated person and a unique artist, and also a difficult person to work with. His relationship with Tom is documented in the film because that is who he is working with now. Tom is also difficult to work with and not the best manager, but he has tried to rejuvenate Clarence and Blowfly by creating new material and widening his audience, though it has not always been successful. He has brought them to Europe twice and Australia twice and all over the states, sometimes to small audiences sometimes to large ones. There is no exploitation here, Tom is trying to keep Clarence working so that he can earn some money. Watch the film again and you may realize a little more about Clarence and his current situation.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 24, 2014

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008

Tactical Grace posted:

What's the documentary about the Aikido (or some sort of Japanese stick fighting) test that only one person passes a year?

Found it!

It was actually Kendo.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Deep Water.

In 1968, a British newspaper sponsored a race where nine men competed for the first nonstop solo circumnavigation of the world. One man, Donald Crowhurst, a novice sailor with no oceangoing experience, risks his entire financial livelihood on completing the race. It doesn't go well.

Seriously, even if you're not into sailing, this is an absolute must-watch, and I was actually tearing up towards the end. It's an utterly compelling examination of the human psyche when faced with complete and total isolation, and some parts Crowhurst's despair is palpable, especially when they read excerpts from his logbook and contrast it with his own footage of his journey. The other sailors on the journey are no less compelling, even if they're background characters.

I first heard of it from the PYF creepy/unnerving Wikipedia thread, so I had spoiled myself by reading about the man himself before I watched it. I don't know if this is one of those things like Dear Zachary where it's better going in completely cold.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
^Just finished this, not too bad. Kept me guessing as to what would happen next.But I wonder if, Crowhurst didn't fabricate mental illness. It's not like he didn't fake anything else, and his timing is kind of strange. You would think those kind of mental health problems would have already peaked in the first few months of isolation. It's quite possible he would think that his going crazy would be more honorable than just killing him self because of the situation.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

ninjahedgehog posted:

The other sailors on the journey are no less compelling, even if they're background characters.

I actually found what happened with the French sailor to be just as interesting as Crowhurst's story.

You just have to be wired different, mentally, to list "explorer" as your career.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Dr.Caligari posted:

^Just finished this, not too bad. Kept me guessing as to what would happen next.But I wonder if, Crowhurst didn't fabricate mental illness. It's not like he didn't fake anything else, and his timing is kind of strange. You would think those kind of mental health problems would have already peaked in the first few months of isolation. It's quite possible he would think that his going crazy would be more honorable than just killing him self because of the situation.

It's possible, but if he really wanted to keep his honor posthumously, why not take the real log with him overboard and only leave the fake one behind? Then it looks like he actually sailed most of the way before killing himself.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Los Angeles' Skid Row is home to one of the largest homeless populations in the United States. And we found, inside that community, the remarkable and enormously moving stories of Olympic athletes, Harvard attorneys, accomplished musicians, scholars. We found poverty, drugs and mental illness, of course - but more importantly we found life, hope and incredibly powerful human journeys.

Excellent flick with a great representation of drug addiction in the words of Danny Harris who won a silver medal in the Olympics and loved as a crack addict on skid row.

Currently on Netflix

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Adding to the list of excellent F1 documentaries is "1" a look at the lifestyles of F1 drivers from the 60's onwards. It fits neatly with other docos like Grand Prix: The Killer Years and "Hunt vs Lauda".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Dr.Caligari posted:

Impossible to know for sure but I felt like Crowhurst was a guy living on the edge of sanity as it was. He put together this plan to enter the race basically as a mid-life crisis, and he had all kinds of weird ideas about how to make his boat the fastest. So I got the feeling that even before the race he wasn't 100% in touch with reality. I think living for months with nothing to focus on but those navigational calculations was just the last straw that broke him.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
If you haven't watched Undefeated, you should catch it on Netflix instant.

On the surface it's the story of a historically lovely HS football program in Memphis' inner city. But the real theme is one of fatherless teenage boys and the effect a good male role model can have on them.

I cried no less than 3 times during the film.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Mahoning posted:

On the surface it's the story of a historically lovely HS football program in Memphis' inner city. But the real theme is one of fatherless teenage boys and the effect a good male role model can have on them.

On a whim my wife and I skipped games and homework to watch this flick. Definitely worth your time, but as mentioned bring Kleenex

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I recommend the BBC4 documentary Mad Dog: Gaddafi's Secret World. Gaddafi was a sex fiend on par with Uday Hussein.

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin

Mahoning posted:

I watched this as well because of your recommendation, really enjoyed it. Pretty sure my crying tally was similar to yours.

Bonto
Aug 8, 2007

Honey!?
Hey guys, Could you guys recommend me some documentaries focusing on animation? Ideally focusing on the golden era of animation, Looney Toons, Hanna Barbera etc. Anything even remotely related will do!

Thanks in advance!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Bonto posted:

Hey guys, Could you guys recommend me some documentaries focusing on animation? Ideally focusing on the golden era of animation, Looney Toons, Hanna Barbera etc. Anything even remotely related will do!

Thanks in advance!

Waking Sleeping Beauty is a bit more modern but a pretty interesting look at the Disney animation renaissance in the late 80's, early 90's.

Also, someone help me out here.....there's a documentary about the making of The Emperor's New Groove that is also pretty fascinating considering the huge changes that movie went through. I believe Sting's wife produced it.

This is also a more modern look at animation but they are both pretty good. Not exactly what you're looking for but they're both worth watching.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The documentary you're thinking of is The Sweatbox:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsL08mLe_bI

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
When you start watching something professionally produced and it has timecodes at the bottom, you know you're in for a treat.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Mahoning posted:

After the many recommendations, I caved in and gave this a try, even though I've had nothing to do with football ever in my life. I was sucked in right away because it's really about the characters, the story of these people, and football was just the vehicle carrying the story forward (it was fun trying to grasp the rules of the game, too). The editing of the movie is worth mentioning, as it's so top notch. Add my recommendation to the pile.

Here's an interview with Coach Bill Courtney. I might have learned a thing or two reading it. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/29/bill-courtney-interview-football-manassas-coach_n_1838828.html

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Schooled: The Price of College Sports is on Netflix and is a pretty good look at the college sports system. If anything, it doesn't delve deep enough, but I think you'd need a ten part series to actually do the issue any justice. But as is, it's a pretty good doc and there are many excellent points made about the illusion of amateurism and the hypocrisy of the universities.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
When I was a kid, I found an album titled ALL THIS AND WORLD WAR II: Sountrack It was one of those old box sets - a cardboard box that houses a couple of albums and a booklet. I had no idea what the was about, but at the time I was in love with the Beatles, and the album was maybe two bucks.

My copy of the album disappeared a couple of years later, but I remember a lot of the covers. Around the same time, the BeeGees released the horrific Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. (Though, looking over the songlist below, they're on this as well. I wonder if it's the same tracks).

According to a wikipedia page:

Wiki posted:

All This and World War II is a 1976 musical documentary that juxtaposes Beatles songs, performed by a number of musicians, with World War II newsreel footage and 20th Century Fox films from the 1940s. It lasted two weeks in cinemas and was quickly sent into storage.

The original intention of the filmmakers was to use actual Beatles music in the film. The decision to use other artists covering Beatles music was made by the film's producers after they realised additional money could be made through a soundtrack album. The decision was a sound one, as the soundtrack actually generated more revenue than the film.

The album reached number 23 on the UK album charts, with a total of seven weeks on the chart.[2] Elton John’s rendition of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" was previously released as a single in 1974 and had been a number one hit.[4] Rod Stewart’s version of "Get Back" was subsequently released and became a UK hit single.

The Bee Gees, who contributed three songs, would go on to star in Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, another film that exclusively used Beatles songs.

To recap. Beatles covers by Warner Brothers Pop Stars of 1975, WW2 Newsreel Footage, and clips from WW2 Movies. Documentary? Art flick? Seventies version of rock videos?

So. Maybe it doesn't count as a documentary, exactly? I googled it today, (following the Beatles show from last night) and was surprised to find the video is up on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddtDTy_UuDA

Track list (I bolded some of the more interesting tracks that I recall. I'm watching the video now, I don't remember half of these.
"Magical Mystery Tour" – Ambrosia – 3:52
"Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" – Elton John – 6:15
Features John Lennon (under the pseudonym "Dr. Winston O'Boogie") on lead guitar & backing vocals.
"Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight" – The Bee Gees – 3:17
"I Am the Walrus" – Leo Sayer – 3:49
"She's Leaving Home" – Bryan Ferry – 3:07
"Lovely Rita" – Roy Wood – 1:13
"When I'm Sixty-Four" – Keith Moon – 2:36
"Get Back" – Rod Stewart – 4:24
"Let It Be" – Leo Sayer – 3:43
"Yesterday" – David Essex – 2:44
"With a Little Help from My Friends/Nowhere Man" – Jeff Lynne – 6:56
"Because" – Lynsey De Paul – 3:24
"She Came In Through The Bathroom Window" – The Bee Gees – 1:54
"Michelle" – Richard Cocciante – 4:00
"We Can Work It Out" – The Four Seasons – 2:39
"The Fool On The Hill" – Helen Reddy – 3:37
"Maxwell's Silver Hammer" – Frankie Laine – 3:27
"Hey Jude" – The Brothers Johnson – 4:58
"Polythene Pam" – Roy Wood – 1:30
"Sun King" – The Bee Gees – 2:03
"Getting Better" – Status Quo – 2:19
"The Long and Winding Road" – Leo Sayer – 4:47
"Help!" – Henry Gross – 3:07
"Strawberry Fields Forever" – Peter Gabriel – 2:30
"A Day in the Life" – Frankie Valli – 4:04
"Come Together" – Tina Turner – 4:08
"You Never Give Me Your Money" – Will Malone & Lou Reizner – 3:04
"The End" – The London Symphony Orchestra – 2:26

EDIT: if you feel I should move this elsewhere, since it's vaguely a documentary, let me know, I'll replace it with some other documentary.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 10, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Life After Pi, a 30 minute documentary about Rhythm & Hues' bankruptcy and the difficulty of working in the visual effects industry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lcB9u-9mVE

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
What were they trying to accomplish with that Beatles movie? Just using free stock footage with guaranteed moneymaker soundtrack to make a quick buck or is it actually intended to like make some commentary or something? I haven't watched it so I'm curious about the story behind it.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

acephalousuniverse posted:

What were they trying to accomplish with that Beatles movie?
It was some poor attempt to latch onto the stoner market based on previous films like 2001 and The Holy Mountain.

It came to the producer in a dream and he managed to sell it to FOX on the idea of it being some anti-war "musical-documentary"

John Lennon had something to do with the production of the film and was aware of it and presumably liked it, owing to his oddball sense of humor.

The film comes off as this utterly sugar coated take on WWII that you watch out of sick curiosity to see how WW2 is told through pop songs.

It goes so far that you almost expect them to put "Hey Jude" over shots of concentration camps - but no, the grimmer aspects of war are completely skipped over in a result that comes off as propaganda.

Any semblance of sensitivity is further run down by the collation of newsreels and 40's movies that turn the whole thing into one massive pastiche.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

WebDog posted:

It was some poor attempt to latch onto the stoner market based on previous films like 2001 and The Holy Mountain.
I have no clue at all on any of it. I'm thinking WB had a stable of stars, some free studio time, and then wanted some vehicle, (pre-MTV) to launch it. Over bong hits and thick rails, somebody suggested using free footage, mixed with WB's own dead WWII film footage.

I kind of watched it, only for the "Oh my childhood!" memories of the music. Other than that, whoah poo poo that's not a documentary of any sort. It's pop Koyaanisqatsi

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
I guess that's about what I thought. Pretty hilarious. It reminds me of that Elvis album that's nothing but stage banter for some reason.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Are there any good documentaries about the actual artistic work involved in CG effects? Anything from CG effects in big action movies to things like Toy Story or Frozen. I'm in a long standing disagreement with a friend who considers hand drawn animation to somehow be "superior" to CG effects on a technical level because CG animation is "easier".

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

LanceKing2200 posted:

Are there any good documentaries about the actual artistic work involved in CG effects? Anything from CG effects in big action movies to things like Toy Story or Frozen. I'm in a long standing disagreement with a friend who considers hand drawn animation to somehow be "superior" to CG effects on a technical level because CG animation is "easier".

Well taking a photograph is 'easier' than painting a picture, so ask him if he considers the work of Thomas Kinkade to be superior to that of every photographer who ever picked up a camera.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

marktheando posted:

Well taking a photograph is 'easier' than painting a picture, so ask him if he considers the work of Thomas Kinkade to be superior to that of every photographer who ever picked up a camera.

Bad example because the answer is an obvious and incontestable yes.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
The great Alain Resnais died over the weekend. As far as documentaries go he's most famous for making a film about the Holocaust called Night and Fog. He also made this fantastic documentary about the National Library of France call All the Memory in the World:
http://youtu.be/i0RVSZ_yDjs

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

marktheando posted:

I know the argument is hilariously stupid, but she wants to know more about the process, which is better than nothing. I figure there has to be a documentary about it somewhere.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

LanceKing2200 posted:

Are there any good documentaries about the actual artistic work involved in CG effects?l
The Pixar Story perhaps? That kind of examines the traditional to CG transition. I think it had a bit where they sketch animate movements and expressions in Nemo before translating it to 3D.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

WebDog posted:

The Pixar Story perhaps? That kind of examines the traditional to CG transition. I think it had a bit where they sketch animate movements and expressions in Nemo before translating it to 3D.

This is just what I was looking for! Thanks!

pomegranates
Oct 16, 2012

A short undercover documentary on the ongoing Indonesian occupation of West Papua.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaGou3vB3A0

I also found this article which makes for some good (and by good I mean horrible) accompanying reading: http://www.theecologist.org/News/news_analysis/2311015/west_papuas_act_of_free_choice_45_years_on.html

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Robert Reich's "Inequality For All" is now up on Netflix Instant Watch.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

just caught "As The Palaces Burn" the documentary about the band Lamb of God.

it starts off being a film about profiling fans of the band from other countries, a dude in Columbia, a girl in India, looking at the influence of metal around the world.

then the lead singer was arrested for murder in the Czech Republic, and the film completely changes.

It's an interesting story, but perhaps one of the things I like most about it, is that it really shows the human side of metal music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB6k-Ev_H7c

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Can anyone recommend documentaries like "Whore's Glory"? Or documentaries where they look at developing countries, specifically the people or environment?

Workingman's Death was also really good.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

im gay posted:

Can anyone recommend documentaries like "Whore's Glory"? Or documentaries where they look at developing countries, specifically the people or environment?

Workingman's Death was also really good.

Darwin's Nightmare.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Sodium Chloride posted:

Now on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy7gmd8XXAA

To quote a driver interviewed: "He burnt in the car. And for the whole race, we could smell burning flesh each time we arrived at the bends."

The youtube link doesn't work, but that has to be about Niki Lauda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Chicken Doodle posted:

I was just thinking about this after watching the previous F1 documentary posted in the thread. If you want a touching preview, you can try and get hold of the Top Gear episode that has this at the end. Lewis Hamilton gets to drive Senna's old car, and the way he reacts like a giddy little boy is just heartwarming.

I didn't know much about Senna before that, but what I saw from that episode was enough to make me crave this documentary.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_rJH9XVIQA Here we go!

Lewis Hamilton made me so happy in that episode. ;u;