Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Jordan7hm never put my HSL review in the OP, so allow me to quote it for posterity here.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Hack Slash Loot
Cost: $7.00

Genre: Turn-based Action RPG
Graphics: Tile-based sprites
Platform: Windows, Mac, Linux
Let's Plays: None that I know of
Forks: No

Do not play this game.

Here's the actual review.

EDIT:

Tagichatn posted:

How is Sword of the Stars, Kerberos aside, and Teleglitch? Teleglitch looks interesting but I can see those graphical effects getting annoying.

Teleglitch is AMAZING. I reviewed it on Steam, and I'll repost what I said here.

Creepy, intense, and challenging, this is a worthy entry in both the roguelike and survival horror genres. Posed like a top-down Doom (or perhaps Quake), Teleglitch sends you through branching, randomized levels, forever dreading what's around the next corner. It's one of those games that really, really makes you work to beat it, and it's SO satisfying when you finally pull it off.

Granted, it's ugly as sin, but once you start counting bullets in your clip and learning how to construct quad-barreled nailguns, you won't even notice. Highly recommended.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tagichatn posted:

How is Sword of the Stars, Kerberos aside, and Teleglitch? Teleglitch looks interesting but I can see those graphical effects getting annoying.

Teleglitch is fun if you're fine with effects.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Awesome, thanks for the info! I was a bit wary of getting the bundle since I already had Isaac and Dredmor but I'll give it a shot.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

nutranurse posted:

The Pit is actually a good roguelike/game. I dunno, Kerberos can make good games when they don't hamstring themselves. Teleglitch is a lot of fun, but the graphics can lead to headaches for some. I'd give both a shot.

Teleglitch makes me sad. It looks like a really cool concept that I'd enjoy a lot, but no matter how much I tweak settings I get motion sickness playing it. I wish there was a 2D mode for it.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

edit :never mind

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 24, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tagichatn posted:

Teleglitch is the only game I've ever bought that I couldn't play because it was too hideous and even physically painful to look at.

Granted, it was only two and a half bucks, so I'm not that torn up. But it's pretty bad.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'll also chime in and point out Teleglitch constantly crashed for me. (Yes, the Steam build.) I'd try taking any single teleporter out of level one and it'd crash every time.

This was sort of miserable given the permadeath nature of the game.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
TELEGLITCH IS loving AWESOME!

Sorry, I uh. I really enjoy Teleglitch. A lot. I lost an entire day to it, but I'm weird in that the effects were just really cool. Gunfights being disorienting when sustained just seemed to really flow with the whole product, it's disorienting in hectic fights because it should be?

Not to come off as "it's broken THEMATICALLY" but yeah, I can't recommend that game enough if you can stand to play it.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I'll also chime in and point out Teleglitch constantly crashed for me. (Yes, the Steam build.) I'd try taking any single teleporter out of level one and it'd crash every time.

This was sort of miserable given the permadeath nature of the game.

Eesh, that's rough. Anything on the steam forums regarding that?

Also as a note, it's quasi permadeath, levels have checkpoints as you progress so if you fail on x level you can jump in there with reasonable loot.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Teleglitch is pretty fun, but I think it's worth pointing out, the game isn't really that random. Layouts are a bit randomized, but a given level will still always have the same general setpeices and flow to it. Also, while monster and loot placement is somewhat random, levels will always have the same loot and monsters in them (you'll just find them in different rooms). What I mean is, if you explore the entire thing, you will always come out with the same guns, ammo, crafting materials, etc. So because of that, progression is essentially 100% determined: if you've played the game before, you can know exactly what you'll face when heading into the next level. The randomness is enough to allow the permadeath to work until you beat the game once, but after that I think it loses its replay value - every run feels more or less the same.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Actually, Teleglitch just got a nice little patch to improve the randomness and whatnot it would seem on top of more general things---dunno if they timed it for this bundle or just a coincidence as per their Facebook:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?750883-Patch-9.0-Live!&s=c6cc8a2f5ce8a9dec28f23f7db05a2bc

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

EvilMike posted:

Teleglitch is pretty fun, but I think it's worth pointing out, the game isn't really that random. Layouts are a bit randomized, but a given level will still always have the same general setpeices and flow to it. Also, while monster and loot placement is somewhat random, levels will always have the same loot and monsters in them (you'll just find them in different rooms). What I mean is, if you explore the entire thing, you will always come out with the same guns, ammo, crafting materials, etc. So because of that, progression is essentially 100% determined: if you've played the game before, you can know exactly what you'll face when heading into the next level. The randomness is enough to allow the permadeath to work until you beat the game once, but after that I think it loses its replay value - every run feels more or less the same.

I kind of like that, actually, because it let them balance the item distribution down to the razor's edge it is. Teleglitch is a lot more about managing resources and being efficient than other Roguelikes. It does hurt the replay value a bit, but I think the branching levels and crafting system help make up for that.

Of course, it would be pretty cool if there were an option for a full rando-

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Actually, Teleglitch just got a nice little patch to improve the randomness and whatnot it would seem on top of more general things---dunno if they timed it for this bundle or just a coincidence as per their Facebook:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?750883-Patch-9.0-Live!&s=c6cc8a2f5ce8a9dec28f23f7db05a2bc

quote:

There’s also an experimental item randomization mode; the patch was almost done and there wasn’t enough time to test it, so for now you can enable it by typing ‘settings.randomizeitems=true’ in the console.

:swoon:

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Zombie Samurai posted:

I kind of like that, actually, because it let them balance the item distribution down to the razor's edge it is. Teleglitch is a lot more about managing resources and being efficient than other Roguelikes. It does hurt the replay value a bit, but I think the branching levels and crafting system help make up for that.

Of course, it would be pretty cool if there were an option for a full rando-

:swoon:

what roguelike isn't about managing resources? that's one of the most core gameplay aspects of every game in this whole goddamn genre.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The worst thing about rougelike's is dying in the middle game and getting pissed and trying to blaze through the early game and dying because it's boring/annoying to play the early game over and over and over because you keep dying in the middle game :argh:

Sil :argh:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Sil's early game is especially tragic because the first ~300-400 feet are super boring/exactly the same and when you're first starting out there's no way you're going to break through to 500' where it starts to get fun.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Levitate posted:

The worst thing about rougelike's is dying in the middle game and getting pissed and trying to blaze through the early game and dying because it's boring/annoying to play the early game over and over and over because you keep dying in the middle game :argh:

Sil :argh:

Summary of why I can only handle Crawl in small doses :v:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I have that problem with ADOM, the problem is that the early game of ADOM is optimized for boredom. There are bullshit ways to die that are mostly avoidable by grinding through the early levels.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

German Joey posted:

what roguelike isn't about managing resources? that's one of the most core gameplay aspects of every game in this whole goddamn genre.

Yeah, but Teleglitch is special. With most Roguelikes, the degree of management needed is determined by RNG. If you find a +3 sword of ultimate asskicking or armor of immortality, you're not going to be worrying about rationing wands or potions. By the same token, if the RNG doesn't give you enough to work with, that's that. And this isn't even touching games like ToME that have done away with consumables.

With Teleglitch, the enemies and items are constants, which means they can be balanced perfectly against each other. There is a very narrow window of bullets to enemies that always keeps you checking your clips, second-guessing your crafting choices, and cursing yourself for missed shots. It's something you CAN get in other Roguelikes, but only if the RNG stumbles into it. It should be seen as a feature of Teleglitch, not a liability.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

uPen posted:

Sil's early game is especially tragic because the first ~300-400 feet are super boring/exactly the same and when you're first starting out there's no way you're going to break through to 500' where it starts to get fun.

It might not be the best idea but i've basically taken to diving in sil aside from making sure i've picked up a few basics along the way (appropriate weapons and armor for whichever strategy i am trying, a few IDed potions etc). It's much less aggravating that way.

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns
I always kinda liked Teleglitch but never really played it again after I beat it a couple times. Not due to the randomization, though that was a small part. Mostly I thought it had bad pacing problems.

Game just seemed twice as big as it needed to be. Levels were a big hike with a lot of completely empty rooms, dead ends with switches or sometimes just nothing. Felt like a lot of my time was spent backtracking slowly across the levels, trying to clear it to squeeze all the resources out that I could.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup with no auto explore. Well, not that bad. Worth the fraction of the bundle price definitely.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

uPen posted:

Even 200ft is OK cuz you start getting the chance for unique enemies, etc. 50 and 100 are just shittons of wolves and orc soldiers

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Levitate posted:

Even 200ft is OK cuz you start getting the chance for unique enemies, etc. 50 and 100 are just shittons of wolves and orc soldiers

You can straight up dive to 250 if you're a noldor

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I've been playing a lot of poschengband 3 lately. It's quite fun:

https://sites.google.com/site/poschengband/
http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=6397
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=15474

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

German Joey posted:

I think he means it is more of a core aspect, where with games like Angband, Moria, Nethack, etc scrolls of ident, recall, food, etc wont completely gently caress you over and let you die really fast if you run out. Managing items is usually a slight annoyance, rather than at the forefront of the entire game.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

It is pretty loving anime, which is something that is always going to hold a place in my heart when it comes to roguelikes. Unfortunately the style doesn't translate into tiles very well because no one wants to make graphics for the more than one million viable character combinations. :(

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

MrBims posted:

Unfortunately the style doesn't translate into tiles very well because no one wants to make graphics for the more than one million viable character combinations. :(

Man, I don't even want to imagine what a Sexy Quylthulg would look like :gonk:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Man, I don't even want to imagine what a Sexy Quylthulg would look like :gonk:

Like a regular one with lipstick and a bow.

It worked for Ms. Pac-Man.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Like fifteen minutes into my Balrog Weaponsmith in Pos I find a (+13,+20) rapier. I had a 'terrible' feeling about it.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

MrBims posted:

Like fifteen minutes into my Balrog Weaponsmith in Pos I find a (+13,+20) rapier. I had a 'terrible' feeling about it.

If it's 'terrible' it may be a cursed artifact with nasty side effects. poschengband is in a long line of *band variants -- its anime elements could've been added by any of many past maintainers. There are creatures/items from a wide variety of lore. :)

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

pmchem posted:

If it's 'terrible' it may be a cursed artifact with nasty side effects. poschengband is in a long line of *band variants -- its anime elements could've been added by any of many past maintainers. There are creatures/items from a wide variety of lore. :)

By anime I don't mean having things like Sailor Moon or Super Saiyan classes, I mean that the game is extremely high magic and throws everything to see what sticks. Robots, jedi, pokeballs, illithids, etc. Games like Sil and Dungeon Crawl are going to be finding things to eradicate to make their setting more believable, while games like Furyband and Poschengband let the player do whatever they want. Old Tome was like that and it was my favorite roguelike for it.

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

Can someone post some general Sil strats and general guidelines for building a char? I feel like I'm running into a wall around 300'-500' and have no real clue what I'm doing.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

MrBims posted:

and Dungeon Crawl are going to be finding things to eradicate to make their setting more

What, you mean the game with the sentient cat, octopus, giant insect, gargoyle, orc made of lava and living vines races, and the slime god and god of being slow?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Crawl does have a wacky flavour, but I think what MrBims is trying to point out that a lot of (bad) *bands just throw wacky poo poo into them without concern for balance, gameplay or rough thematic consistency. PosCheng looks to follow in that noble lineage.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jenx posted:

What, you mean the game with the sentient cat, octopus, giant insect, gargoyle, orc made of lava and living vines races, and the slime god and god of being slow?

Don't forget toenail golems.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Tagichatn posted:

Sword of the Stars 1 was just shy of being an amazing game. I can't think of any other 4x that tried randomized tech trees.

Don't even think about buying Sword of the Stars 2.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Eschatos posted:

Sword of the Stars 1 was just shy of being an amazing game. I can't think of any other 4x that tried randomized tech trees.

Don't even think about buying Sword of the Stars 2.

Moo1? :P

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Eschatos posted:

I will never for the life of me understand why people cite this as a positive.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I will never for the life of me understand why people cite this as a positive.

Adds variety to gameplay instead of always beelining for the same optimal techs.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Yeah, it was pretty fun realizing that you didn't have (direct, cause you could still find tech via salvaging) access to some crucial tech that your previous strategies depended on. So you just had to make up some new strategy. Kept the game really fresh!

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Jenx posted:

Believable in the context of the game, not believable as in I can see myself growing an experience level from drinking a potion in real life.

Like oiseaux clarified, Crawl has a theme. That theme can change every version or few versions or whatever, but you probably won't ever see an official release of Crawl where you can play as a Jedi and throw a pokeball at Gollum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nephilm posted:

Adds variety to gameplay instead of always beelining for the same optimal techs.

If your game isn't balanced enough that different approaches are viable, throwing a layer of randomization over that only disguises the problem.