Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

1st AD posted:

Coach is a better realized character than Winston, who the writers have never known what to do with and flutters from dead-end subplot to subplot.

Yeah they need to give Winston direction. Does he even have a job now? (Or the cat?) He's a bum! :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

It's so weird to me that people say Coach is better than Winston because Winston has had many of the hands down funniest moments in the entire series, and being funny is a bit more important. Coach by comparison shows up out of nowhere, brings absolutely no comedy to the show and completely fucks with a perfectly balanced dynamic. When is he going to piss off to some other show? Guy's got the comedy chops of cat aids.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Winston isn't funny at all and the writers just do random poo poo with him all the time, have no handle on him as a character, and basically he just flutters around everybody else's plots.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

1st AD posted:

Winston isn't funny at all and the writers just do random poo poo with him all the time, have no handle on him as a character, and basically he just flutters around everybody else's plots.

I couldn't disagree more. I think he's the funniest character on the show.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Man, I just like everyone on this show!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
His delivery of the "It's been an honor working with you" line when he and Coach took their cakes out of the oven just loving killed me.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The first season was all about Schmidt. The second was Nick, and I feel this one has really been about Winston finally being a fun character.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

"(Damon Wayans Jr.) has the comedy chops of cat aids"

Someone didn't watch Happy Endings! :smugdog:

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

The Duke posted:

"(Damon Wayans Jr.) has the comedy chops of cat aids"

Someone didn't watch Happy Endings! :smugdog:

Actually that's the issue. I loved him on happy endings. I hate him on new girl. There wasn't a need for his character, they just brought him in because he wasn't doing anything but it wasn't necessary and I find myself not looking forward to his scenes at all.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Am I the only one who found his moist cake bit hilarious?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Epi Lepi posted:

His delivery of the "It's been an honor working with you" line when he and Coach took their cakes out of the oven just loving killed me.

I think they work really well together, which is sort of surprising. They have a good rapport.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I think Coach actually helps define Winston a bit in how different they are. Anyway I actually like Damon Wayans Jr. here more than in Happy Endings, I had some problems with how cartoony it got in season 3. Still a fantastic show, just not my favorite season.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Bobby Digital posted:

My girlfriend hates the word moist, and that was her favorite part, along with "Your class, who are strangely okay with a stranger filming them"

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

Irish Joe posted:

Jack Daniels is not bourbon whisky, its Tennessee whisky. Schmidt should know better :colbert:

Tennessee whiskey is straight bourbon whiskey

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Oz posted:

Tennessee whiskey is straight bourbon whiskey

Unless things changed in the last year or so, Tennessee whiskey's charcoal filtering process prohibits it from being called bourbon under US law.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

Unless things changed in the last year or so, Tennessee whiskey's charcoal filtering process prohibits it from being called bourbon under US law.

NAFTA defines Tennessee whiskey as bourbon.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

Irish Joe posted:

There's no law I know of that prohibits such a thing. NAFTA says that anything labeled 'Tennessee whiskey' must be "a straight Bourbon Whiskey authorized to be produced only in the State of Tennessee."

It is true that the main difference with Tennessee whiskey is that it goes through the Lincoln County Process (passing it through a bed of sugar maple charcoal). And it is true that most Tennessee whiskey producers disclaim references to their product as bourbon and don't advertise it.

However, it still meets the requirements of a bourbon and, if anything, it is a subset of the bourbon family.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Doesn't bourbon have to be made in bourbon county, Kentucky?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

The X-man cometh posted:

Doesn't bourbon have to be made in bourbon county, Kentucky?

Nope. There are some excellent Colorado bourbons.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Oz posted:

However, it still meets the requirements of a bourbon and, if anything, it is a subset of the bourbon family.

While true, this does not diminish the fact that using Tennessee whiskey to mix a cocktail calling for bourbon will produce a drink with the wrong flavor. Jim, not Jack.

However, this all went down in a scene where Cece poured both "water" and "simple syrup" from the exact same glass bottle which bore a striking resemblance to grocery store brand vodka.

If you'll excuse me, I am off to shove :10bux: in the douchebag jar while tsking about soda guns and my immersion.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bobby Digital posted:

NAFTA defines Tennessee whiskey as bourbon.

Well I guess that means Ross Perot was right about NAFTA after all.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
This thread had way too many complaints about the best show on TV. It's better when we talk about whiskey.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bobby Digital posted:

I thought it was great, and it also confirms my theory that American women unaccountably can't stand the word moist. I actually liked his whole trash talking voice. Biiiissshhh.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Speaking as someone born in Kentucky, and having lived for all but 8 of my 35 years in Kentucky, I feel I would be remiss if I didn't point out the fact that Jack Daniels is not bourbon.

Irish Joe posted:

Jack Daniels is not bourbon whisky, its Tennessee whisky. Schmidt should know better :colbert:

^^this guy gets it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blantons and Basil Hayden, amiright? Finally got to try Pappy Van Winkle 20 the other day. Now I just need the 13 year Rye and the 23 and I'll have tried them all!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
My biggest regret in life was not stealing a bottle of 23 when I had the chance.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Blantons and Basil Hayden, amiright? Finally got to try Pappy Van Winkle 20 the other day. Now I just need the 13 year Rye and the 23 and I'll have tried them all!

Blantons and Basil are both great. I'm also a huge fan of Bulleit and Angel's Envy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Irish Joe posted:

My biggest regret in life was not stealing a bottle of 23 when I had the chance.

That is a huge regret my friend. I would have taken it in a second. Wouldn't even consider selling it. Just have one or two glasses a month for what would have been one of the best years of my life.

And Bulliet is my go to Rye for Manhattans.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Bobby Digital posted:

Nope. There are some excellent Colorado bourbons.

I had some Virginia bourbon the other day (well it's made in Kentucky then finished in Virginia but still). It was bottom shelf so Schmidt would never touch it.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

BarbarousBertha posted:

While true, this does not diminish the fact that using Tennessee whiskey to mix a cocktail calling for bourbon will produce a drink with the wrong flavor. Jim, not Jack.

However, this all went down in a scene where Cece poured both "water" and "simple syrup" from the exact same glass bottle which bore a striking resemblance to grocery store brand vodka.

If you'll excuse me, I am off to shove :10bux: in the douchebag jar while tsking about soda guns and my immersion.

It was a dumb way to make an Old Fashioned anyway. The recipe calls for placing a sugar cube in an old fashioned glass and saturating it with bitters, then adding a dash of plain water and muddling it until dissolved. There's no reason to add water if you are going to outright replace the sugar cube with simple syrup.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
No new episode tonight?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Mexcillent posted:

No new episode tonight?

Prolly not due to State of the Union.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Obama!! :argh:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I listened to a podcast that had an interview with whatever Van Winkle is in charge of the company and it really made me want to try good bourbon, but I'm still a college kid who gets rum and cokes over any other drink when I'm out at bars so I figure I'll wait a bit.

Very disappointed that there's no new episode tonight, but I guess the POTUS is important.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Do we really need a State of the Union address every year?? (especially when the president is a lame duck with a diminishing mandate)

Democratic Pirate posted:

I listened to a podcast that had an interview with whatever Van Winkle is in charge of the company and it really made me want to try good bourbon, but I'm still a college kid who gets rum and cokes over any other drink when I'm out at bars so I figure I'll wait a bit.

I know I'm going to piss off a lot of people with this, but the stories behind whiskies are often better than the whiskies themselves.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Irish Joe posted:

I know I'm going to piss off a lot of people with this, but the stories behind whiskies are often better than the whiskies themselves.

All this talk reminds me of that episode of How I Met Your Mother, where they pitch in to buy the $2500 bottle of scotch, and they all come to the agreement they can't tell the difference between it and a $50 bottle of scotch

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

The podcast was Alton Brown's, who did Good Eats on the Food Network and all that jazz. After the interview he made his bourbon-enthusiast friend do a blind taste test with bourbons ranging from something like $30-$120/bottle and it turns out the most expensive was their least favorite when actually tasting side by side, even though they had both loved it the night before. I completely forgot the name of it though.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Oz posted:

It was a dumb way to make an Old Fashioned anyway. The recipe calls for placing a sugar cube in an old fashioned glass and saturating it with bitters, then adding a dash of plain water and muddling it until dissolved. There's no reason to add water if you are going to outright replace the sugar cube with simple syrup.

I like to imagine that she really DID just dump a shitton of rotgut vodka in a glass with a couple ice cubes and topped it up with Jack Daniels. Schmidt didn't have the heart to tell her she was doing something profoundly insane and the other bartender complains a lot but actually has no sense of smell/taste.

Irish Joe posted:

10 Beers posted:

^^this guy gets it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Irish Joe posted:

Do we really need a State of the Union address every year?? (especially when the president is a lame duck with a diminishing mandate)

Yes, it's in the Constitution.

However, there's only been about 102 State of the Union addresses. There have, however, been about 125 State of the Union reports.

Blame Woodrow Wilson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Coffee And Pie posted:

All this talk reminds me of that episode of How I Met Your Mother, where they pitch in to buy the $2500 bottle of scotch, and they all come to the agreement they can't tell the difference between it and a $50 bottle of scotch

Pretty much. Give me a bottle of booze priced over $100 and it's like a dog staring at a supernova. Meanwhile, the difference between a lowest tier bourbon and something excellent like Bulleit is a mere $10-$15. You can definitely taste the difference there.

There is one exception: a friend was gifted some bottle of Jefferson's Presidential Select (a premium small batch of Jefferson's Reserve, that in this instance was aged 30 years and cost like $250 a bottle.) That poo poo was magical. Too bad I will never spend $250 on a bottle of bourbon, but that was just....gently caress.

My pedantic gripe: when Schmidt calls Cece's attempt to reach for vermouth "insanity." It's called a Manhattan. And it may not be an Old Fashioned, but it is not insane. :colbert:

• Locked thread