Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Brings a tear to your eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Why isn't this on the jerseys for the Women in League round?

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

iajanus posted:

Brings a tear to your eye.

That's just the mace

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

heladocasero posted:

I hope Dugan manages to avoid being suspended for at least half the season. That would be nice. Maybe Widdop won't suck either, that might be stretching it a bit though. :smith: Here's to another season of mediocrity!

You are more looking at injuries with Dugan although he is good for a dumb incident or two.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Burn Down Canberra posted:

You are more looking at injuries with Dugan although he is good for a dumb incident or two.

Doogs is a neknomination away from a stint on the uk.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

James Roberts

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Souths had some spare cash laying around and have decided to give it to Lote Tuqiri.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

I'm angry at the waste of money. Hopefully they're paying $30,000 and tigers $570,000.

Silly Tigers. :allears:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I don't care about the money, can we make it a 3 for 1 deal and throw in Anasta and Blair?

e:

Lote posted:

“I'm really excited to be back and to be part of a club that's on the way up”
Sick burn, mate.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Adam Blair is the best lock in the game

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Lacklustre Hero posted:

Adam Blair is the best lock in the game

I'm assuming you mean Reserve Grade? You're probably wrong but I can't think of a better one off the top of my head.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Tyrone Peachey

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Smorgasbord posted:

I'm assuming you mean Reserve Grade? You're probably wrong but I can't think of a better one off the top of my head.

Mills posted:

Tyrone Peachey

In all seriousness Tyrone Peachey is loving good, not the biggest second rower going around but extremely skillful and looks a natural like his uncle. I'm pissed we let him go to the Panthers, Bukuya to the Warriors and we gain Matt Prior...

Can't keep them all unfortunately

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Those were some real good juniors. I would have let Tupou go in order to keep one of them. You have an aging second row in Lewis, Heighno and Tupou.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Mills posted:

Those were some real good juniors. I would have let Tupou go in order to keep one of them. You have an aging second row in Lewis, Heighno and Tupou.

Yes but Sharks.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Mills posted:

They'll be injecting Botox and fillers , so they'll look like a younger back row.
TIGER SHARKS!!!

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

So here's the kind of schedule Wigan has at the start of this year:

Feb 7: UK season opener (in the newly renamed First Utilities Super League) v Huddersfield (a semi-traditional match between the league winners and GF winners)
Feb 12: Tune-up game/reunion with Sam Tomkins v NZ Warriors at Hamilton
Feb 22: World Club Challenge v Cunts at SFS
Mar 2: Home FU Super League game v Wakefield Trinity (they were supposed to also play at Widnes during their trip overseas, but that'll get rescheduled, likely during a Challenge Cup weekend)

And, as a British league fan, despite the fact that they're Wigan and all, I will be backing them to beat the Roosters, because they are the much lesser of two evils in this situation.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Everybody is the lesser of evils when compared to the Roosters.

Anyone else liking the jerseys for the 9s teams? The Titans' one is so much better than their actual new jerseys for this year I'm jealous.

Crawfoot
Oct 21, 2010

Black and Blue

iajanus posted:

Anyone else liking the jerseys for the 9s teams? The Titans' one is so much better than their actual new jerseys for this year I'm jealous.

I found the jerseys really confusing for some reason. The Cowboys had bright orange? Well that's what I remember anyway.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

iajanus posted:

The Roosters and Sharks look the best in my opinion. Broncos are okay too, kinda retro.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Cowboys and Bulldogs are :eyepop: "what colours do we normally wear?"

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
The Raiders looks pretty similar to the normal one.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrl-changes-rules-to-cut-timewasting-says-todd-greenberg-20140125-31ffg.html

quote:

Zero tackle from 20-metre restart: The first tackle after a 20-metre optional kick will be called a zero tackle. The rule change provides an extra tackle to discourage tactical kicks and negative play when the ball is kicked dead to slow down the game and deny wingers and fullbacks the chance to return kicks.

40/20 restarts: The team that performs a 40/20 kick will restart play with a tap kick 20 metres in from the touch at the point it crossed the line instead of at a scrum.

Restarts from kicks out on the full: A handover will be awarded when the ball is kicked out on the full.

Stop the clock: During the last five minutes of a match, the clock will stop following a conversion or penalty kick at goal until play restarts at halfway.

Quick taps: A quick penalty restart will be permitted on any infringement except 10-metre penalties, where the referee issues a caution or within 10 metres of the opposition goal line. The change encourages more continuous play.

Goal-kicking time limit: The referee will call time-off at about one minute, 20 seconds following a try. Fines will still apply to clubs when a player takes longer than 1:40 to take a conversion.

These changes are a lot more sweeping than I expected. I was only expecting them to address stopping the clock for kicks at goal late in the game. I'd want to see how these work out in actual games before passing judgement, but replacing scrums in a couple of instances seems odd and I don't see why a zero tackle is needed for the 20 metre restart.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah, I'm not sure about some of those changes. I'll need to see them in action to have more of an opinion, but I do like the attempts to stop the time wasting in the last five minutes. Of course, they could just stop the clock at all conversions, but that's a lot to ask.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Club here in Marrakech played YOU'RE SIMPLY THE BEST last night. #league

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You forgot:

''It'll no longer be permitted [at the penalty] for a captain to rush up to talk to the referee. There'll be ample opportunity for them to do that in a structured manner. One of those times will be at half-time as they walk off the field."

Good things for teams having to play the Bulldogs, Manly or Storm

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bowmore posted:

You forgot:

''It'll no longer be permitted [at the penalty] for a captain to rush up to talk to the referee. There'll be ample opportunity for them to do that in a structured manner. One of those times will be at half-time as they walk off the field."

Curious how they'll police that, since unless they start with sinbins they'll just come up anyway. Hopefully that's the plan.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

Curious how they'll police that, since unless they start with sinbins they'll just come up anyway. Hopefully that's the plan.

That should be easy, the ref can just shout "play on" after a quick tap. It'll be on the whingeing captain to get back into position or leave his team a man short on defence.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

bowmore posted:

You forgot:

You can't seriously believe they'll enforce that against the protected clubs do you? Best we can hope for is some Jarryd Hayne related comedy. Smith, Ennis, Lyon etc will still be able to run up and scream at whoever they like.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They better enforce it

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

bowmore posted:

You forgot:

Well mick ennis is out of a job.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bowmore posted:

They better enforce it

Hahahahahahahahaa we do all get optimistic in the silly season, don't we.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

iajanus posted:

Hahahahahahahahaa we do all get optimistic in the silly season, don't we.

Tigers will make the 8

Big Steveo
Apr 5, 2007

by astral

MiniSune posted:

Tigers will make the bottom 8

Fixed it for you.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

We are trying to be optimistic, not realistic.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

You can't seriously believe they'll enforce that against the protected clubs do you? Best we can hope for is some Jarryd Hayne related comedy. Smith, Ennis, Lyon etc will still be able to run up and scream at whoever they like.

I'd settle for another Ricky Stuart meltdown.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Jono C posted:

I'd settle for another Ricky Stuart meltdown.

Sticky is angling to make a comeback as captain / coach this year, he'll sledge the refs on the field then complain about it in the media afterwards.

Big Steveo
Apr 5, 2007

by astral

iajanus posted:

Probably like they did to Gallen in this instance (although he was not captain)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcdOmLuZryc

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
The NRL season's getting closer

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news-display/Newcastle-Knights-Statement/89599

quote:

Willie Mason failed a random breath test on the way to training this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I have this weird feeling that they're building to some epic debauchery, possibly at the Nines. This could get ugly...

• Locked thread