Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Pudgygiant posted:

Does Community exist in a universe where weed is now legal?

Not based on Ben Folds's character running to hide his Sativa plant (perfect for playing guitar!). Of course that may just be a campus rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Pudgygiant posted:

Does Community exist in a universe where weed is now legal?

Greendale is in Colorado soooo.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
What I was really asking was, will there be a "We're in Colorado, where weed is now legal" episode, or would that be too controversial?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So is this show good again?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Amazingly, yes. Better than 3 so far, in my opinion.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
If you're the kind of person who didn't care for season 3 you might not be crazy about it, but it's miles better than 4.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I watched a couple of episodes of 4 but for the most part decided not to bother with it. I thought Season 3 had problems but also some of the best episodes in the show, it was just really inconsistent. At this point I'd gladly take another Season 3 though.

It's kind of funny how the fanbase for Community during S1 and S2 was one of the most vocal I have ever seen in my life and a lot of it is at the "eh I guess I'll watch it" phase by now.

Also I don't know what the show is gonna be like without Donglover.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I feel like this season is very close to season 3 in tone and story-telling approach, except that the characters always seem in-character even at the most wacky or cartoony moments. Whereas in season 3 they would sometimes say/do things for the sake of a one-liner, fan-service moment, or parody joke that didn't quite feel right coming from their established personalities (especially Chang). Like how the characterizations in Family Guy change constantly depending on whatever gag is going on that moment- none of that here, anymore.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 26, 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Chexoid posted:

If you're the kind of person who didn't care for season 3 you might not be crazy about it, but it's miles better than 4.

I guess I should clarify. In my mind, it's Season 3 in tone but with a far better hit/miss ratio. Especially in terms of Britta.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pudgygiant posted:

What I was really asking was, will there be a "We're in Colorado, where weed is now legal" episode, or would that be too controversial?

That is the dankest timeline.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Coffee And Pie posted:

Bring back Vaughan, and have LL Cool J join him as his partner.

Vaughan: literally the only character more naive than Childish G.

Also can someone explain to me NCIS? Why are Navy loving police kicking down doors in chinatown

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Lord Krangdar posted:

I feel like this season is very close to season 3 in tone and story-telling approach, except that the characters always seem in-character even at the most wacky or cartoony moments. Whereas in season 3 they would sometimes say/do things for the sake of a one-liner, fan-service moment, or parody joke that didn't quite feel right coming from their established personalities (especially Chang). Like how the characterizations in Family Guy change constantly depending on whatever gag is going on that moment- none of that here, anymore.

Yeah, I agree with this. At times i season three it felt like the show was trying to be a live action cartoon in that sense. This season has honestly been reminding me a little more of season two - a good example is when the entire table briefly talk about how they love announcements and prove Britta's point they;re ignoring a wider issue. I think it may be because it's funny, in character, and a really small moment. Those are the kind of jokes I felt filled season two.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's a bunch of behind-the-scenes photos and tweets from Tim Saccardo here.

My favorite bits are the cut Magnitude joke and this brainstorm of ideas for the game (I really wish the dog stuff had made it in).

E: I'm not ready to make any judgments about this season versus Season 3 because it's not over yet, but I will say this season hasn't had any dead weight thus far. I liked the first few episodes of 3 but they weren't the strongest episodes that season. If we can get a season with all the great humor of Season 3 without sacrificing characters or having a too many misfires, that would be the best possible outcome.

Arist fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 26, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alan Smithee posted:

Also can someone explain to me NCIS? Why are Navy loving police kicking down doors in chinatown

The show's logic is if it involves a navy officer they can act like normal cops/the FBI.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

MrAristocrates posted:

My favorite bits are the cut Magnitude joke

That should not have been cut.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ashpanash posted:

Not based on Ben Folds's character running to hide his Sativa plant (perfect for playing guitar!). Of course that may just be a campus rule.

I think every campus in Colorado technically doesn't allow it, so that would make sense.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Its nice that they gave him an in if he wants it.

Overall, I wasn't super impressed with this episode. It really felt like a retread of the other action eps theyve done. Maybe its because I havent seen most of the movies they were referencing? I dunno.

I liked that Britta took a stand in this one, and she had some funny lines, but overall.....meh.
Pretty much my thoughts on it. Weakest of the season so far imo, the "wacky theme episode" is as much a trope of the show now as the tropes it used to undercut or lampshade. Only so many times you can go to that well.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

HOT SQUATS posted:

My new Criminology professor looks and sounds just like Hickey. Jonathan Banks was A+ casting.

proof please

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I liked what they did with the idea though admittedly I probably liked the idea of the episode more than I laughed out loud. By now we're so used to the Total Conversion Mod episode that it's not the shock to the system that Modern Warfare was. This is hardly Call of Duty: Ghosts though :v:

For me the western episode was more forgettable in that regard. Other than the dude from Lost or whatever show being a cowboy dude I couldn't be hosed to remember much else unless I watch it again

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It was good but I do hope it's the last over the top genre parody for a while. I'd love to see something more low key again, akin to the chicken fingers or the "My Dinner with Abed."

Rizzo Crackers
Oct 11, 2009

Like a midget at a urinal, I was gonna have to keep on my toes.
Leonard had an absolutely brilliant line in this episode:

"Cirque-du-so-Long you high flying acro-bastards!"

Also that ending was great, Troy got an excellent send off and Britta really is the best.

Cory Snyder
Jan 27, 2004

People have compared me to Cal Ripken...
Was lampshade recently in a word of the day calendar or something?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hey quit hanging a lampshade on the hanging of lampshades

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Cory Snyder posted:

Was lampshade recently in a word of the day calendar or something?

It's a stupid TVTropes thing.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Error 404 posted:

It's a stupid TVTropes thing.

No it isn't, it's a writing term.

It's also referenced in the 100th episode of Stargate: SG-1, Wormhole X-Treme!, which aired several years before TVTropes existed. (It was driving me crazy trying to remember what it was that it was referenced in, I'm pretty sure that was it.)

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 27, 2014

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
It's important to remember that just because TV Tropes has a section for a term and 8,000 "examples" of it from anime doesn't mean they invented the term.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

thexerox123 posted:

(It was driving me crazy trying to remember what it was that it was referenced in, I'm pretty sure that was it.)

To be pedantic they referred to it as "hanging a lantern" on it (the context was, I think, how the team managed to escape from an enemy base, and the writer saying they could simply have someone say, "that was easier than I expected" rather than write out a complicated and expensive scene.)

I think that using the term "lampshading" instead of "hanging a lantern" is more from the Whedon side of things. But the concept is the same: If you have one of the characters recognize, in story, that something is absurd, it makes it easier for the audience to accept it.

The shittiest lampshading example I can think of was in the Justin Timberlake turd "In Time," where, instead of detailing how society somehow changed to the bizarre system they used in the movie, he simply explains, in an insipid opening narrative, "it is what it is."

The moral: lampshading is not always successful. It's a tool like any other, not a panacea for struggling writers.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 27, 2014

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

"Leonard won't walk on a flag" :3:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ashpanash posted:

To be pedantic they referred to it as "hanging a lantern" on it (the context was, I think, how the team managed to escape from an enemy base, and the writer saying they could simply have someone say, "that was easier than I expected" rather than write out a complicated and expensive scene.)

Fair enough! And I think I was wrong about the episode, too, it was 200, not Wormhole X-Treme!.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Dan Harmon was on the Indoor Kids and talked about Community for a bit.

• On Basic Intergluteal Numismatics: "If there ever could have been an hour-long episode..."
  • The Fincher look was harder to nail than anticipated, which made Harmon appreciate him even more.
  • The origin of the rear end-crack Bandit dates back to Harmon's old Milwaukee improv troupe, where someone really did get a quarter slipped down their crack.
  • ACB became a recurring joke in the season 2 writers room, long before even the lection episode mention.
  • Walking Dead season 4 was apparently inspired by Scott Gimple listening to Harmontown on his commute?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I'm currently rewatching season 2 and I'm not going to start an argument AGAIN about which season was the best, but drat, season 2 is good television. Just finished Abed's uncontrollable Christmas and there wasn't a single episode I felt like skipping, not even the religious documentary one ("ABED").

CzarTim
Oct 2, 2012

Only as you gasp your dying breath shall you understand, your life amounted to no more than one drop in a limitless ocean.

Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops?

mcbexx posted:

I'm currently rewatching season 2 and I'm not going to start an argument AGAIN about which season was the best, but drat, season 2 is good television. Just finished Abed's uncontrollable Christmas and there wasn't a single episode I felt like skipping, not even the religious documentary one ("ABED").

The only people who don't think season two is the best are the people who only watched it once as it aired. It's great.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

redweird posted:

I also liked how dumb the whole thing was, and how invested everyone got. Like the jargon for their movement techniques and how punk everyone was.

I'm still trying to figure out what the "reverse Danny Thomas" would be. (probably a non-sequiteur)

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

mcbexx posted:

After watching it maybe four times I finally realized that the woman singing "Abed" is singing "Shirley" when Shirley destroys the film in the third act.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cheston posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what the "reverse Danny Thomas" would be. (probably a non-sequiteur)

Well, a normal Danny Thomas is pretty goddamn disgusting, but I have no idea what the reverse would be.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

mcbexx posted:

Is skipping the ABED episode even a thing? How can you not love the religious music chanting and Kaufman jokes?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

So Sean Saves the World was cancelled. Everyone knew this was going to happen, but it's good for Community, right?

ultramiraculous posted:

Is skipping the ABED episode even a thing? How can you not love the religious music chanting and Kaufman jokes?

Plus the resolution scene with Abed and Shirley is really touching and genuine.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

NBC is looking like it might get Thursday Night Football so it's really too soon to know what the gently caress is going to happen.

e: and on the subject of athletics, after tomorrow night we have no new episodes for three weeks due to the winter Olympics.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I've had some complaints about past gimmick episodes but this loving nailed it. I thought the last few minutes were a great send off for Troy.

• Locked thread