Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I was happy for SRT getting on the podium after some major setbacks, but that bullshit call rewarding Winkelhock's dumb desperation move ruined the mood. Elkin's incompetence combined with NASTARD officiating doesn't bode well for this series.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ban

btw the officiating crew is the old ALMS guys, not Grand-Am so yeah.

I didnt mind the yellow at the end, but that penalty is pretty dumb. Then again, its against Level 5 AND a Ferrari so gently caress them forever perfect ending.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007
Wasn't Level 5 the one that almost shut down because their Venezuelan paydriver's funding wasn't authorized?

Also, Memo Gidley has an "unstable" spinal fracture that will require surgery :ohdear:

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

AceFace905 posted:

Wasn't Level 5 the one that almost shut down because their Venezuelan paydriver's funding wasn't authorized?

Nah that's Starworks. And even still they have Popow with them. Level 5 is literally an indictment away from being gone because Scott Tucker is in a loan shark.

AceFace905
Feb 27, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

Nah that's Starworks. And even still they have Popow with them. Level 5 is literally an indictment away from being gone because Scott Tucker is in a loan shark.
THAT's why I had heard about Level 5. Did they ever figure out who was legitimately defrauding the Venezuelans?

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

AceFace905 posted:

THAT's why I had heard about Level 5. Did they ever figure out who was legitimately defrauding the Venezuelans?

I think they're still investigating that. Apparently someone forged one of the main people to ok funding and the beneficiaries went hog wild buying gently caress off yachts and an island. Anyone with the Venezuela sticker is in this so Enzo Potolicchio, Alex Popow to name a few. Notice how Starworks took a long time to get DP going and Potoliccio is down to a LMPC car this year.

e: Speak of Level 5, this chaos won't end. Next they'll rescind that caution and everyone has to realign everyone in the same spot everyone was at the time of caution and redo the final 15 minutes.

BMB5150 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 27, 2014

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

quote:

@marshallpruett 6m
We have @scotelkins here. A full post-race review was made, GTD call has been REVERSED. @Level5Racing wins. @RACERmag

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

NASCAR folks 2 hours ago: WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT UNAVOIDABLE CONTACT MY rear end
NASCAR folks now: WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT REVERSING THE WINNER, I KNEW THIS MERGER WAS A SHAM ALL ALONG

:suicide: I hope they stocked up on their Muscle Milk, so they don't break any bones from the mental gymnastics they're going through.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

Cygni posted:

@marshallpruett 6m
We have @scotelkins here. A full post-race review was made, GTD call has been REVERSED. @Level5Racing wins. @RACERmag

Good. :colbert:

I don’t follow all the backdoor dealings and shenanigans of these rich guys/sports car team owners so I don’t really care about what Level 5 does off the track. But that call was 100% horseshit, and it would have put a huge stain on the first unified race. Still, gently caress NASCAR and France family forever.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

poopzilla posted:

Good. :colbert:

I don’t follow all the backdoor dealings and shenanigans of these rich guys/sports car team owners so I don’t really care about what Level 5 does off the track. But that call was 100% horseshit, and it would have put a huge stain on the first unified race. Still, gently caress NASCAR and France family forever.

Cygni posted:

btw the officiating crew is the old ALMS guys, not Grand-Am so yeah.

I'd say ALMS' officiating group just hosed up and by chance on the heels of a NASCAR-like caution. Well whatever.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

BMB5150 posted:

I'd say ALMS' officiating group just hosed up and by chance on the heels of a NASCAR-like caution. Well whatever.

Whatever, they fixed it so I'm glad. But since "NASCAR" is in charge now everytime something like this happens people will be all :lol:

and its gonna poo poo up sports car racing. :(

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Even after all The GTD bullshit, I have faith in this series. Yes, some definite mistakes were made, but IMSA made good on arguably the biggest one of them all. The racing is excellent and I feel like NASCAR is really putting forth some effort to make the series successful. I'm excited for Sebring, I think it'll be a good one.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
They never, ever should have made the penalty call so soon after the finish. They didnt even have time to fully evaluate all the video evidence before making a call. OK, at least they admitted they hosed up, they still look dumb.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CactusWeasle posted:

They never, ever should have made the penalty call so soon after the finish. They didnt even have time to fully evaluate all the video evidence before making a call. OK, at least they admitted they hosed up, they still look dumb.

Agreeing with this, hopefully they learned that lesson. People are paying attention to this stuff now.

I still hate Scott Tucker.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Lots of people bitching about "loving nascar" after a call that sounds like something from the FIA.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't know, I think Indycar still wins the epic bad calls for either oval racing in the rain, or for penalizing Dixon because they were looking at the wrong video.

This is pretty close though.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't know, I think Indycar still wins the epic bad calls for either oval racing in the rain, or for penalizing Dixon because they were looking at the wrong video.

This is pretty close though.

Edmonton 2010 says hi.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Grand-Am and ALMS used to penalize guys for accidently touching each other when neither car was really impacted at all, so i dunno. Everyone is bad at this these days.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Edmonton 2010 says hi.

As terrible as that call was, it was at least consistent with the equally bad no blocking rule. There's certainly no precedent for green flagging a race instead of red, or penalizing a driver for jumping a restart waved off by the flagger.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I looked into it and the old ALMS crew is entirely responsible for that dumbass call. Just to clarify, I am a fan of NASCAR outside of their officiating, then again, none of the sports I watch have good officials, refs, or judges.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The 'NASCAR as poo poo' stuff started with a bullshit 15 minute yellow you dolts

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

go3 posted:

The 'NASCAR as poo poo' stuff started with a bullshit 15 minute yellow you dolts
Who cares, I thought you said you werent gonna watch anymore anyway

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

George Zimmer posted:

Even after all The GTD bullshit, I have faith in this series. Yes, some definite mistakes were made, but IMSA made good on arguably the biggest one of them all. The racing is excellent and I feel like NASCAR is really putting forth some effort to make the series successful. I'm excited for Sebring, I think it'll be a good one.

I agree with this.

The Unification was a good thing overall for the sport in NA. And it’s too early to say what affect NASCAR ownership will have on the sport. But they should tread really lightly in my opinion. By that I mean, they should have no visible impact on the on-track racing. And I guess everyone will say that, but c’mon, if you’ve seen a NASCAR race recently, the yellow flags are thrown out on cue. If they do that with sports car racing in the US, it will kill the sport for a generation.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
At the end of the day, the sad truth is the most qualified sanctioning body in the US to oversee sports car racing here is NASCAR. It wasn't an IRL/CART merger where both were failing, Grand Am ate ALMS whole.

Make of that what you will.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

N: http://www.gordonkirby.com/categories/columns/theway/2014/the_way_it_is_no418.html
V: :allears:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

N: http://www.autoextremist.com/fumes1/2014/1/27/the-nascar-ization-of-major-league-sports-car-racing-a-bitte.html
V: A blowhard, but :allears:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
They were really afraid cars would be winning by multiple laps weren't they. Oh well, there is always lemans right?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Uncle Jam posted:

Oh well, there is always lemans right?
If there are two groups that can make NASCAR decisions look downright sane, its the ACO and the FIA...

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Is there any sanctioning body that isn't batshit loving stupid/insane? I can't think of one. It's just varying degrees of it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
WRG with the Outlaws is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

e- also Boomer, those are pro-click, nice find. The first one is a great read from the inside, the second is the sad blubbering of a 1%er sportscar fan

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 28, 2014

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Auto Extremist is a bit of a bitch (like Pressdog from 2006 onward) but it's still interesting, as he hits on a couple of good points.

Oh, and lets go back to 2008 to bitch about WRG. I get the impression that most sanctioning bodies, touring series and racetracks are trying to milk the last bit of blood from the racing stone before everything goes to poo poo.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
poo poo, I could throw WRG under the bus as much as NASCAR, but overall they're pretty fair.

On the dirt mod side, loving DIRT was the worst.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Personperson14 posted:

Is there any sanctioning body that isn't batshit loving stupid/insane? I can't think of one. It's just varying degrees of it.

The V8 Supercars one isn't too bad. Sure they have had some brain fade moments, but all in all they haven't been too horrible. I don't think CAMS looks after the V8s anymore, I think it is TEGA.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

You Am I posted:

The V8 Supercars one isn't too bad. Sure they have had some brain fade moments, but all in all they haven't been too horrible. I don't think CAMS looks after the V8s anymore, I think it is TEGA.

They have had some howlers in the past, but I haven't watched it in such a long time I couldn't tell you what they're like now. :iiam:

Here is one of their finest moments :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99_DzgW_3DE

edit: Lowndes cut the track after the crash and recorded that fast lap and it stood for a while. :psyduck:

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

At the end of the day, the sad truth is the most qualified sanctioning body in the US to oversee sports car racing here is NASCAR. It wasn't an IRL/CART merger where both were failing, Grand Am ate ALMS whole.

Make of that what you will.

Your right unfortunately, I feel like I'm in a bad comedy movie where the village idiot is the only person with the power to save his village from the monster.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Another Gidley update: http://www.racer.com/imsa-memo-gidley-recovery-update/article/332100/

I'm still fuckin' shocked that the dude is conscious, talking, and has all of his extremities.

People can talk about tube frames not being real racecars and all that poo poo, but goddamn that Riley did a pretty good job.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Gidley would have been screwed in an open-top P2.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

LordPants posted:

They have had some howlers in the past, but I haven't watched it in such a long time I couldn't tell you what they're like now. :iiam:

Here is one of their finest moments :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99_DzgW_3DE

edit: Lowndes cut the track after the crash and recorded that fast lap and it stood for a while. :psyduck:

Nah, the best incident with Murphy was the 2002 Bathurst where he copped a 5 minute penalty. Seeing him march off to the toilet after parking the car was gold

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

My brother and I just bit the bullet and got tickets to Sebring. Flights weren't too bad from California, all told.

Last time I went I had a goddamn blast so I'm pretty dang excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

So you guys remember the Whittington's and all that drug trafficking they did in the 80s. Well for them, old habits die hard
http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2014/02/don_whittington_bill_whittington_drug_smuggling_cia.php?page=3

• Locked thread