Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I am seriously considering installing a verification bat at my front door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Brightman posted:

Anyone else like to think that's Tom sitting at the drawing desk behind the skull?

Uhh, isn't that the skull's body? It looks pretty attached and approximately in the right spot to me :ghost:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hremsfeld posted:

Alternatively, :catstare:

What's the current pool on how long until Kat realizes that there's some Weird Robot poo poo going on centered on her? If the death cult finds out their goddess of death went into the realm of the dead and came back out...

Hey mang don't forget that she's the Creator not the destroyer :colbert:

there's a life part to the death part in this whole robot thing

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?

GabrielAisling posted:

I'm still fond of the idea that we're. Seeing the ROtD as Mort sees it rather than as whatever its true appearance is.

I'm not sure there's really a difference, or rather I don't see why there would be a "true" realm of the dead. Consider Coyote's thought experiment. If every god who claims to have created the stars is "correct" then wouldn't it also hold that there are a myriad of different afterlives, each with it's own independent nature, all conflictingly (and with equal truth) claiming to be The realm of the dead?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Hremsfeld posted:

Uhh, isn't that the skull's body? It looks pretty attached and approximately in the right spot to me :ghost:

I don't think so based on the way it slid in when it first showed up: http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1304

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
I think I'm ready to unequivocally state that this is going to be my favorite chapter now and forever.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
You know to be honest I'd be kinda too grossed out to touch a weird talking skull sticker thing like Kat did :v:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I kinda wish Kat had failed the verification bat as then when they 'make her into a ghost' they might have just dropped a sheet with two eyeholes on top of her and called it a day.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Parts Kit posted:

I kinda wish Kat had failed the verification bat as then when they 'make her into a ghost' they might have just dropped a sheet with two eyeholes on top of her and called it a day.

I think the ghosts are smarter then the robots. THey were people after all.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Kikas posted:

I think the ghosts are smarter then the robots. THey were people after all.

Maybe some ghosts, but for these ghosts, with their paper gravestones and their rubber bat, I'm pretty sure 'sheet over the head' = ghost is spot-on.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Parts Kit posted:

So in this interpretation, Mort is a ghost because he's under a sheet, and the whole dead-but-still-hanging-around aspect is an unrelated thing he just happens to have going on.

I'm in favour of this.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

MikeJF posted:

Or possibly that Kat's living bio-robots from the future may be, as biological creatures, connected to the ether, and their belief may be retroactively elevating her.

Having to work sucks.

From what Coyote has said, he isn't like a normal Coyote who became uplifted into godhood, he just has always been. So he was retroactively created. BUT! Coyote also says that he was created by mankind's feelings towards real coyotes and predators, it's not like... mankind's belief in the real Coyote caused him to create himself in a stable time loop, Coyote's origin is independent of his own existence.

In this example Jones could be the manifestation of the observer, or of man seeing a woman in a stone. Jones wasn't etherically created by people who knew Jones and she is responsible for her own existence that way.

So even if the Robot's belief is retroactively making a big deal out of Kat, and even if she gains some kind of etheric presence or power later, I feel like she would have to be capable of discovering the secret behind Diego's creations and making bio-robots even without becoming a creator deity. Basically what I'm saying is that even if Kat gets all sychopompy, I don't think that necessarily means that she is only clever because of weird magic powers.

I feel I'm harping on the "Kat's brains aren't magic!" train a bit to much, but the idea just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. :shrug:

Jeez, did I take a wrong turn into the Homestuck thread? All this talk of stable time loops. :v:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Kat is a super science genius who is well travelled, but we are expected to believe that somehow she has never seen a verification bat before?

I'm not buying it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Prison Warden posted:

I feel I'm harping on the "Kat's brains aren't magic!" train a bit to much, but the idea just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. :shrug:
Nah, I'm with you. It's like, Parley can teleport, but what she does with that is entirely up to her. It's just one more tool for Parley the character to use, her ideas for what to do with it are all her own. If Kat's ideabox is actually just the ether shoving superscience in then how much of what Kat does is Kat, and how much is just her being a conduit?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Kat is a super science genius who is well travelled, but we are expected to believe that somehow she has never seen a verification bat before?

I'm not buying it.

Well, she's also quite young. The Court might not have allowed her access to such advanced equipment yet.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Splicer posted:

So in this interpretation, Mort is a ghost because he's under a sheet, and the whole dead-but-still-hanging-around aspect is an unrelated thing he just happens to have going on.

I'm in favour of this.

I've been wondering if it's not like someone else pointed out: there may very well be a ton of different realities given all of the different beliefs among humans. Do you have any idea of how much it costs just to keep the place running!? You're lucky they can even afford to keep 2-D bat verification sensors at the entrance, mister :colbert:.

With regards to Jones, I've always wondered if she actually is possibly etherically based in some related fashion in spite of having no apparent connection to the ether at all. This is because if human belief leads to "creation" deities like Coyote being formed, what does the belief that no deity is responsible for the creation of Earth lead to? I've been wondering if Jones is just the personification of scientific thinking with regards to how the world was created and humans evolved, as apparently human thought seems to shape just about everything in the GC universe.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Splicer posted:

I'm in favour of this.

this would be so great

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

With regards to Jones, I've always wondered if she actually is possibly etherically based in some related fashion in spite of having no apparent connection to the ether at all. This is because if human belief leads to "creation" deities like Coyote being formed, what does the belief that no deity is responsible for the creation of Earth lead to? I've been wondering if Jones is just the personification of scientific thinking with regards to how the world was created and humans evolved, as apparently human thought seems to shape just about everything in the GC universe.

So the only reason the scientific materialistic view of the world actually works out/is true, is because in modern times enough people died, or are going to die, believing it to be? Retroactively making as true as any religious or god-based worldview?

Happy Yeti fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 25, 2014

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

You know to be honest I'd be kinda too grossed out to touch a weird talking skull sticker thing like Kat did :v:

You know, I don't think it's supposed to be a sticker. I keep looking at that circle on its jaw and thinking of those paper decorations they used to have in school where you passed a brad through two pieces of paper to make a hinge (so the skull's jaw is only moving on that one point)

Fake edit: I guess they're called articulated decorations? Here's a picture of one:

You can see the two brads where the cat's legs move.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

What I find most interesting about Jones is that she's blonde, caucasian, and has relatively short hair. For the vast majority of humans that have ever existed she'd be considered really weird looking (and she still looks very different to most people on the planet). So either what she has always looked like updates retroactively based on some unknown current factors, or whatever caused her to have always existed is a relatively modern concept.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Someone here speculated (seriously or not) that Jones was a living being created by Kat following the path of her current robot research, and sent into the distant past at some point in Gunnerkrigg's future. :tinfoil:

I personally feel I'm pretty good at guessing where a given story is going, but Tom has managed to surprise me quite a few times, which I enjoy. I'm in for the long-haul, regardless of the path.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mike Danger posted:

You know, I don't think it's supposed to be a sticker. I keep looking at that circle on its jaw and thinking of those paper decorations they used to have in school where you passed a brad through two pieces of paper to make a hinge (so the skull's jaw is only moving on that one point)

Fake edit: I guess they're called articulated decorations? Here's a picture of one:

You can see the two brads where the cat's legs move.

Yeah I know those things, I just sort of spat out "sticker" cause I didn't know what else to call it :v:

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Splicer posted:

What I find most interesting about Jones is that she's blonde, caucasian, and has relatively short hair. For the vast majority of humans that have ever existed she'd be considered really weird looking (and she still looks very different to most people on the planet). So either what she has always looked like updates retroactively based on some unknown current factors, or whatever caused her to have always existed is a relatively modern concept.

Science in general is very much a relatively modern concept dude, and that's basically where Jones comes from. The kind of people who run the court are the kind of people who would have created Jones.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Splicer posted:

She's perfect to be a personification of science. See the scientific revolution and just how much at the time people loved to have various concepts (Justice, Wisdom, Liberty, nations and cities, etc.) represented as an usually female personification.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Splicer posted:

Nah, I'm with you. It's like, Parley can teleport, but what she does with that is entirely up to her. It's just one more tool for Parley the character to use, her ideas for what to do with it are all her own. If Kat's ideabox is actually just the ether shoving superscience in then how much of what Kat does is Kat, and how much is just her being a conduit?

I dunno man but when she can intuitively read robo-source code that is etheric in origin and can't actually be expressed in human writing, I think it's fair to say there's probably some etheric ability going on.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Where are we getting that robot code is etheric in origin? I know it doesn't translate into writing (hence Kat needing a microscope to read a cube) but I don't recall it being described as anything more than really complex machine code.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Kat's symbol is probably associated with her nascent identity as the Robot's God / Angel. Just as human beliefs twist and change the aether, their own beliefs in her, being mostly non-aetheric entities themselves, has started transforming her identity into something similar.

I'm taking away that the robots viewing her as a god is literally making her into one.

e: hence also the horrifying metallic angel imagery

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Happy Yeti posted:

So the only reason the scientific materialistic view of the world actually works out/is true, is because in modern times enough people died, or are going to die, believing it to be? Retroactively making as true as any religious or god-based worldview?

Of course. It's just another way to stare into the chaos of the universe and squint and cock your head until you see a pattern. Rationality doesn't cure human intellect. It's merely a late stage of the disease.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Wyld Karde posted:

Where are we getting that robot code is etheric in origin? I know it doesn't translate into writing (hence Kat needing a microscope to read a cube) but I don't recall it being described as anything more than really complex machine code.

Yeah, Kat reading the code is basically double reverse engineering. Robots reverse engineered the code that Diego used for his robots, which is interpreted as that cube we saw earlier, and Kat is basically rewriting that into something she can understand better and improve on.
Nothing etherical going on. Aside from the fact that the Seraph robots are really golems.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ChairMaster posted:

Science in general is very much a relatively modern concept dude, and that's basically where Jones comes from. The kind of people who run the court are the kind of people who would have created Jones.
Your use of "dude" here seems to indicate you're trying to lay some kind of burn down, which I don't quite understand because that's pretty much what I was getting at.

Zorak posted:

Kat's symbol is probably associated with her nascent identity as the Robot's God / Angel. Just as human beliefs twist and change the aether, their own beliefs in her, being mostly non-aetheric entities themselves, has started transforming her identity into something similar.

I'm taking away that the robots viewing her as a god is literally making her into one.

Yeah, this is what I'm hoping is going on with Kat.

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones

Zorak posted:

Thank God I'm not the only one sticking with this train of thought.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Kikas posted:

Yeah, Kat reading the code is basically double reverse engineering. Robots reverse engineered the code that Diego used for his robots, which is interpreted as that cube we saw earlier, and Kat is basically rewriting that into something she can understand better and improve on.
Nothing etherical going on. Aside from the fact that the Seraph robots are really golems.

I always thought the reason the code was so complicated (and impossible for anyone to understand) is because it's much like the Donlan's computer - just enough Etheric stuff to make it work.

All of the robots 'code' is based off the original golems of the Court, after they found they couldn't make more golems. It was a leap from 'based on purely etheric constructs' to 'partially run on ether'.

Especially since we already know the Court's robots aren't purely mechanical - Kat makes a big deal out of how Annie could just 'put together' Robot from parts and have it work, and then we learned about the golems and how all the Court robots are compatible with them.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I always figured that Annie being able to "just put together" Robot was due to the fact that his design, and probably all court robots, is extremely modular, and thus easy to repair. The original court robots designed the first generation of new court robots to be simple and easy to maintain in their absence, and every generation thereafter has been as simple as possible to maintain and repair.

As for the code, I'm not sure there's any ether involved in the current gen robot's coding. The original robots were all, or almost all etheric "code", and the first generation of new robots probably had a good amount of etheric code. But as the designs transitioned from etheric golems into the modular easy-to-produce machines we see today, the etheric part has waned so much that only the structure of the code is etheric in nature, which is why it had to be printed in a cubic format.

The way I like to think of it, as stupid as it sounds, is like having an old game on an old engine, that you mod something into. The next game comes out for the next gen engine, and instead of creating a whole new mod, someone just finds a way to import your mod from the old game to the new game. Skip ahead a bunch of games, and your mod still exists in a recognizable way, but it's been imported through so many generations of engines and games that the original code is just a mere shadow of what it originally was.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Splicer posted:

Your use of "dude" here seems to indicate you're trying to lay some kind of burn down, which I don't quite understand because that's pretty much what I was getting at.

What

I just call people dude a lot, it's basically unconscious at this point.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

As far as etheric modern robots go, don't forget Robot has some special module on his CPU that activated the golems. The golems are etheric, so presumably there's something etheric in there.

If Kat is indeed being literally deified by her robots' belief, it'd have to be retroactive. People affect the ether when they die, and their ideas and beliefs and personalities become a part of the natural world. Only one robot is ever known to have truly died, and that was a single thoughtless muscle, so if indeed the robots' worship is making her a spiritually important being that means that her line of inquiry is going to succeed, and their beliefs are affecting their past.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Didn't she permanently shut down one of the courts early robots?

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

RandomPauI posted:

Didn't she permanently shut down one of the courts early robots?

It's more accurate to say she patched over a deliberately damaged section of it's code, and then removed the patch when the robot asked to be turned off again.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

The robot Kat revived thought being turned off was more like death than like sleep. Interestingly, while Robot is now implicitly claiming that wasn't a "true" death, he made no such distinction at the time.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Heavy Zed posted:

The robot Kat revived thought being turned off was more like death than like sleep. Interestingly, while Robot is now implicitly claiming that wasn't a "true" death, he made no such distinction at the time.

Probably because the Old Machine had to be granted death and was incapable of expiring naturally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

I'm not really sure what you're saying to be honest. Even if the old golem couldn't die of old age or starvation--though judging by what we know of how the current court robots came to be just wearing out from use is a real concern--they were certainly vulnerable to physical damage. Meanwhile the wing didn't exactly die of "natural causes".

So yeah I don't really understand what distinction you're making.