Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Quasipox posted:

So I finally picked up WWE 2K14 and as I've been going through the 30 Years mode, I was curious about something.

Why was Flair being managed by Perfect going into his title match with Macho at Wrestlemania 8?

I think Perfect was injured so they had him work as a manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012

Quasipox posted:

So I finally picked up WWE 2K14 and as I've been going through the 30 Years mode, I was curious about something.

Why was Flair being managed by Perfect going into his title match with Macho at Wrestlemania 8?

Perfect was injured but they wanted to keep him on camera to go into a push when he was healed. They probably stuck him with Flair/Heenan because it was an easy face turn.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Timbers Jim posted:

Perfect was injured but they wanted to keep him on camera to go into a push when he was healed. They probably stuck him with Flair/Heenan because it was an easy face turn.

Yeah I'm sure they had him there because they knew in a pinch they could turn him, I wanna say, if Warrior flaked out or something?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

And that was a drat great face turn.

Heenan: *slaps Perfect* ...I'm sorry.

That was pretty much the only time I can recall seeing Heenan realize he'd gone too far, about a second before Perfect flipped out on him.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

DeathChicken posted:

And that was a drat great face turn.

Heenan: *slaps Perfect* ...I'm sorry.

That was pretty much the only time I can recall seeing Heenan realize he'd gone too far, about a second before Perfect flipped out on him.

Seriously, it's fantastic. He slaps Perfect then INSTANTLY has the most sincere look of absolute terror. It is just a face that says "I have just made a terrible mistake."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
When was the last time someone turned either heel or face in a pre-taped segment? I seem to remember that happening a lot more in the 80s/90s. The most recent I can remember is The Rock turning heel in his 2003 return promos when he didn't need the crowd anymore because he had Hollywood now.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

Are there any 'forgotten' gimmick match types? Stuff that sounded like a good idea at the time, but afterwards, everyone else who watched agreed that they are never doing that again.

I haven't seen a blindfold match in a long time, and that is probably a good thing.

Last one I remember is Rick Martel vs someone (savage?) after he blinded them with his arrogance perfume that he sprayed out like it was a pesticide.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

The Grey posted:

I haven't seen a blindfold match in a long time, and that is probably a good thing.

Last one I remember is Rick Martel vs someone (savage?) after he blinded them with his arrogance perfume that he sprayed out like it was a pesticide.

Jake the snake

It was bad

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

The Grey posted:

Bryan and Kane each had one on 2013 against the Prime Time Players though I guess technically only one of them was blindfolded.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Just listened to the Steve Austin podcast with Roddy Piper, and that was great work by both of them. It reminded me of the Piper's Pit recently when Piper pinched the cheek of Roman Reigns.

Reigns clearly wasn't expecting it, was kind of stunned, and didn't know how to respond. I assume wrestling is far more scripted now then it was in Piper's day, or was that just Piper being Piper?

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

The Grey posted:

Just listened to the Steve Austin podcast with Roddy Piper, and that was great work by both of them. It reminded me of the Piper's Pit recently when Piper pinched the cheek of Roman Reigns.

Reigns clearly wasn't expecting it, was kind of stunned, and didn't know how to respond. I assume wrestling is far more scripted now then it was in Piper's day, or was that just Piper being Piper?

A bit of both. Back in Pipers day you just snorted up an industrial amount of cocaine and did your promo stuff. Now you get handed a very detailed script and are told exactly what is going to happen.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

No, it's pretty much scripted down to the letter. Even the particular reactions people are supposed to give are scripted. The crowd too ("Audience applause here").

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

VogeGandire posted:

Seriously, it's fantastic. He slaps Perfect then INSTANTLY has the most sincere look of absolute terror. It is just a face that says "I have just made a terrible mistake."

He did the same thing when he slapped Andre at WM VI. Andre's eyes go wide and Heenan looks like he just dropped a load in his pants out of fear.

Then Andre totally whiffs slapping him and the whole thing kinda falls apart.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

No, it's pretty much scripted down to the letter. Even the particular reactions people are supposed to give are scripted. The crowd too ("Audience applause here").

There are still guys like Punk, Cena, and Heyman who are allowed to deviate from said script though. Promos for Punk were written out word for word on those Raw scripts that were recently leaked but his actual on air promo was different.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Thauros posted:

There are still guys like Punk, Cena, and Heyman who are allowed to deviate from said script though. Promos for Punk were written out word for word on those Raw scripts that were recently leaked but his actual on air promo was different.

I'm still not sure if it's 'allowed' or 'we can't meaningfully punish him without exposing how bad our script was'.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Critical posted:

He did the same thing when he slapped Andre at WM VI. Andre's eyes go wide and Heenan looks like he just dropped a load in his pants out of fear.

Then Andre totally whiffs slapping him and the whole thing kinda falls apart.

Andre only whiffed once, and keep in mind that he could barely move at that point.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Meltzer in the 90s posted:

@ObserverQuotes 11m

Atsushi Onita was invited to be in the Royal Rumble and will accept. [11/93]

What was the story there, since Onita was not in fact in the '94 Rumble?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm still not sure if it's 'allowed' or 'we can't meaningfully punish him without exposing how bad our script was'.

Punk has "some creative control" written into his contract.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Thauros posted:

This is testing the bounds of my memory, but I believe the story was that Onita wanted to do it but was shooting a movie and couldn't get enough time off to come over and do the match.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Thauros posted:

He probably arrived for the Rumble, proceeded to take of his shirt to prepare for the match, some official saw all his scars, and as a result his appearance was scrapped.

Also, looking up Onita's match statistics, I only now realise that that guy had some type of barbed-wire match on pretty much a daily basis around 1994 :stare: . How the hell is that guy still active today?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Germansimp posted:

He probably arrived for the Rumble, proceeded to take of his shirt to prepare for the match, some official saw all his scars, and as a result his appearance was scrapped.

Also, looking up Onita's match statistics, I only now realise that that guy had some type of barbed-wire match on pretty much a daily basis around 1994 :stare: . How the hell is that guy still active today?

The only reason that man needs is "He's Atushi fuckin' Onita."

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

jeffersonlives posted:

This is testing the bounds of my memory, but I believe the story was that Onita wanted to do it but was shooting a movie and couldn't get enough time off to come over and do the match.

Interesting. I wonder if he would've figured into Tenryu and Kabuki's angles that night. Or if they were used instead.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Red posted:

Interesting. I wonder if he would've figured into Tenryu and Kabuki's angles that night. Or if they were used instead.

The WAR deal for Tenryu and Kabuki was a separate thing, them being in there and Tenryu getting something of a push within the match was part of a deal for WAR to be the local promoter for WWF shows in Japan. That lasted all of one tour because the shows hemorrhaged money for all involved.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
I remember Tenryu giving Luger some of the most vicious chops ever delivered in a WWF ring during that match.
Judging by Luger's reaction, I really don't believe Luger expected those.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ocNE5L5R2g

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 26, 2014

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
In Gavok's article The Top 100 Royal Rumble Moments, he makes reference to "a Japanese Royal Rumble with well over 100 participants". What match is this, and holy god is it just a complete clusterfuck and/or parade of "who?"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

LvK posted:

In Gavok's article The Top 100 Royal Rumble Moments, he makes reference to "a Japanese Royal Rumble with well over 100 participants". What match is this, and holy god is it just a complete clusterfuck and/or parade of "who?"

I'm pretty sure DDT had a 100+ man Royal Rumble.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What do most guys wear under kickpads? It often looks to me like Bryan and a few other guys aren't wearing pro wrestling boots at all, but either amateur wrestling boots or those soft-soled martial arts shoes you see in sport tae kwon do.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

usually because they do a lot of kicks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

What do most guys wear under kickpads? It often looks to me like Bryan and a few other guys aren't wearing pro wrestling boots at all, but either amateur wrestling boots or those soft-soled martial arts shoes you see in sport tae kwon do.

Wrestling boots are really heavy so it's easier to do high spots in shoes, but kickpads help keep your lower legs from looking small/make you look like a badass MMA fighter!

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

VogeGandire posted:

I'm pretty sure DDT had a 100+ man Royal Rumble.

Indeed they did, in cooperation with BJW and and Kaientai DOJO. Could only find this short video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJt7AR7ucwo

It used to be in full on YouTube, but those videos were deleted, it seems.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MassRafTer posted:

Wrestling boots are really heavy so it's easier to do high spots in shoes, but kickpads help keep your lower legs from looking small/make you look like a badass MMA fighter!

And boots help protect you from rolled ankles and lil wrestling shoes don't.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MassRafTer posted:

Fortunately, they also make awesome shoot kicks hurt less.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Fortunately, they also make awesome shoot kicks hurt less.

No they make you a badass fighter and knock people out.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
What do you guys think is the most important metric for determining whether a wrestler is successful? Is it how much money they draw with buyrates/ratings/merch sales, is it consistently getting big pops from the crowd, is it regularly having high-quality matches, etc.?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I'm hoping this isn't a rhetorical question, but here goes:

With the WWE Network's supposed back catalog of EVERY WWE PPV EVER, UNCENSORED AND UNCUT... are we finally getting Over The Edge '99?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Retiring comfortably and in good health.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

With the WWE Network's supposed back catalog of EVERY WWE PPV EVER, UNCENSORED AND UNCUT... are we finally getting Over The Edge '99?

No.

Gar
May 13, 2005
I got the Playstation but I still play the Sega

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I'm hoping this isn't a rhetorical question, but here goes:

You're not the first person I've seen ask this and I just don't get it. Are you interested in anything else from that PPV? I honestly I have no idea what else even happened and at what point on the card Owen happened, but if people only want to see a man die and his real friends and colleagues try to deal with it moments later, that's pretty sick. I'm sure you can find that poo poo somewhere else, not from the company who just settled (I assume) the final lawsuit from that incident less than 5 years ago. Even if there was a ***** match on the show, they might upload the individual match, but they will NEVER EVER release that show.

It's a shock they are going to include Beniot footage , but they don't have footage of his murders and death.

Gar fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 28, 2014

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I watched it live, and it's kept on the shelf for a reason. The matches are uninspired for the most part, people are crying during them, JR is trying hard as gently caress to be professional, Lawler is basically loving speechless and the entire storyline is just standard McMahon/SCSA poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Just watch another IYH from 99, and then jump on LiveLeak I guess?