Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

mindphlux posted:

yeah, I'll do a duck confit thread. it gets hosed up a lot, I think I do a good version, and I haven't made it in a while - good excuse.

Can I also join the throng in begging you too? Us Cajuns loving love our duck, yet I've never had the chance to confit. I need to earn my coonass street cred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

mindphlux posted:

well, for the first course, carbonara is a bit boring, and smoked salmon would probably be tasty - but you don't know if it's done in house, so it'd be a gamble as to how good it could be, so I'd go with the more interesting clam risotto

second course, I'm frankly offended by duck confit and mozzarella (AND PASTA??) being together in the same dish, and I end up disappointed 65% of the time I eat duck confit in a restaurant (why people mess this up so much I'll never know), so that's out. besides, you already got your carbs in on the first dish unless you went with the salmon. quail and swordfish both sound good and potentially well composed. I'd personally choose the swordfish if the restaurant is supposed to be good, but that's more of a gamble. I'd be surprised if any competent cook hosed up polenta, quail, and a kale salad.

final course cheese and a glass of port. I'm not a huge sweets guy though, I almost always opt for a fruit or sorbet based dessert, or always cheese if its offered with a dessert wine.

looks good though, have fun!

I'm a bit offended by confit, mozzarella and pasta on the same plate, which is why I'd probably order that dish just to see how it turned out. Trainwreck dishes are a Pandora's box for me. It's like the chef decided to sneak something crazy as gently caress on the menu to see who'd notice. Well, buddy, I noticed, and I ordered it on purpose. Now find a way to make me enjoy it.

Aside from that, I'm a big fan of sweets and haven't had anything with chocolate and olive oil besides a simple drizzle-good-oil-over-chocolate pairing, so the terrine would probably be my pick. I do think it's odd to feature two chocolate desserts and cheese but nothing fruity. A lot of people want a light, refreshing dessert (especially at lunch) rather than something big and decadent.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

I'm a bit offended by confit, mozzarella and pasta on the same plate, which is why I'd probably order that dish just to see how it turned out. Trainwreck dishes are a Pandora's box for me. It's like the chef decided to sneak something crazy as gently caress on the menu to see who'd notice. Well, buddy, I noticed, and I ordered it on purpose. Now find a way to make me enjoy it.

Aside from that, I'm a big fan of sweets and haven't had anything with chocolate and olive oil besides a simple drizzle-good-oil-over-chocolate pairing, so the terrine would probably be my pick. I do think it's odd to feature two chocolate desserts and cheese but nothing fruity. A lot of people want a light, refreshing dessert (especially at lunch) rather than something big and decadent.

I totally agree about the dessert. Even a good fruit sorbet would be good. I'm almost never disappointed when I order that as dessert (especially when I am feeling quite full or the food has been rich).

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

You guys know what's good? If you pick a basket of really nice mushrooms in the forest, tear them up and sautée in butter, then toss with casarecce or similar pasta, black pepper and torn mozzarella or fior di latte until the cheese starts sagging. a good pasta :coolfish:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Sjurygg posted:

You guys know what's good? If you pick a basket of really nice mushrooms in the forest, tear them up and sautée in butter, then toss with casarecce or similar pasta, black pepper and torn mozzarella or fior di latte until the cheese starts sagging. a good pasta :coolfish:
I think it would be better with a little chicken stock in there. I'd still probably skip the mozzarella.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Never skip the mozzarella.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Unless you're making confit.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
Confit all the mooozzarrrrel.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Paradox Personified posted:

Confit all the mooozzarrrrel.

Shut up, Giada. You aren't convincing anyone of your stupid fake Italian accent.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
For your schadenfreudey entertainment:

Spicy clam risotto was not spicy at all.

Duck confit was sorta dry, skin not crispy. I don't know poo poo about duck confit but I'm guessing this wasn't supposed to be it. People who had the swordfish said it was sorta dry too.

The cheese was good, but it's hard to gently caress up something you buy from another supplier.

Meh.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 26, 2014

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Duck confit was sorta dry, skin not crispy. I don't know poo poo about duck confit but I'm guessing this wasn't supposed to be it. People who had the swordfish said it was sorta dry too.

The cheese was good, but it's hard to gently caress up something you buy from another supplier.

Meh.

I now eat meat and especially fish pretty infrequently; I have always hated dry meat and fish, but if I get them now it REALLY fucks me off. If I'm eating meat or fish it's a very deliberate choice and I want it to be good, dammit!

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mario Batali, when cooking at home, looks amatuerish as poo poo. :smug:
http://instagram.com/p/i2LNDxBRJg/
http://instagram.com/p/jXokkShRP3/

...would still eat the heck out of though.

edit: also - my vote for the previous page would be Clams, quail, and the chocolate and olive oil terrine because that seems cool as hell, despite me not having a sweet tooth.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 26, 2014

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Big Beef City posted:

Mario Batali, when cooking at home, looks amatuerish as poo poo. :smug:

I'm not really sure what else home cooking can look like.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It may have been a joke. I know they're tough to ferret out.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

Meh.

yikes, sorry. :/

don't go back to that place?

the duck looks sort of right by the photo, but if it was dry and skin wasn't crispy, no way hose. duck confit should be really moist, but moist in the really tender-fat-coating-your-tounge sort of way. like good fried chicken, where the collagen has broken down.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Big Beef City posted:

Given the quality of the knifework alone in that video I'd say it had to be. Dry humor is hard to recognize in internets, which is a pity.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Big Beef City posted:

It's more clearly a joke when the following sentence isn't "...would still eat the heck out of though."

Anyway, funny to see a store bought jar of his own sauce in the video.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That whole menu looks like every menu from a high end restaurant in 1999.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
"Aromatized."

edit: poo poo, that's an actual word?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

pr0k posted:

"Aromatized."

edit: poo poo, that's an actual word?

Yep. Usage example: "Despite being aromatised, pr0k's mom still smelled foul".

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Speaking of "Aromatized" things... Fragrance companies flavour/scent your orange juice:

http://chicagoist.com/2013/02/10/simply_orange_is_anything_but.php

'The batches from different crops and seasons are separated, based on orange type, sweetness, and acidity. Blend technicians follow Black Book instructions, adding natural flavors and fragrances captured during squeezing back into the juice to make up for the flavor lost in processing. "When the juice is stripped of oxygen it is also stripped of flavor providing chemicals. Juice companies therefore hire flavor and fragrance companies, the same ones that formulate perfumes for Dior and Calvin Klein, to engineer flavor packs to add back to the juice to make it taste fresh. Flavor packs aren’t listed as an ingredient on the label because technically they are derived from orange essence and oil. Yet those in the industry will tell you that the flavor packs, whether made for reconstituted or pasteurized orange juice, resemble nothing found in nature,"'

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Clavietika posted:

Speaking of "Aromatized" things... Fragrance companies flavour/scent your orange juice:

http://chicagoist.com/2013/02/10/simply_orange_is_anything_but.php

'The batches from different crops and seasons are separated, based on orange type, sweetness, and acidity. Blend technicians follow Black Book instructions, adding natural flavors and fragrances captured during squeezing back into the juice to make up for the flavor lost in processing. "When the juice is stripped of oxygen it is also stripped of flavor providing chemicals. Juice companies therefore hire flavor and fragrance companies, the same ones that formulate perfumes for Dior and Calvin Klein, to engineer flavor packs to add back to the juice to make it taste fresh. Flavor packs aren’t listed as an ingredient on the label because technically they are derived from orange essence and oil. Yet those in the industry will tell you that the flavor packs, whether made for reconstituted or pasteurized orange juice, resemble nothing found in nature,"'

OH NO CHEMICALS :ohdear:

:rolleyes:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

If I'm reading it right, they're adding in aroma from the orange peel that they get during processing? In my mind, cutting into an orange and having the oils spray out is like half the experience of eating them.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I like how they are sure to mention big perfume companies because YOU ARE DRINKING PERFUME obv

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Has anyone ever had leek kim chi? There's this place near my house that sells baby leek kim chi by the quart and IT IS BOSS.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

No Wave posted:

Has anyone ever had leek kim chi? There's this place near my house that sells baby leek kim chi by the quart and IT IS BOSS.

All kimchis are best kimchis. Eat every one you can find.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

All kimchis are best kimchis. Eat every one you can find.
It's all so low-calorie and I just take it out of my fridge and microwave it and eat it with a meat. It is the perfect single person food, and it is vegetables, and it is even probiotic if you are into that sort of thing. It is unimpeachable.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I like kimchi for midnight munchies. Crunchy, spicy, satisfying, but doesn't jack up your blood sugar so you can go to sleep.

Submitted for your disapproval, a woman who only eats cheesy potatoes for every meal...

Will she survive the horror of eating one half of a brussel sprout? Tune in next week to find out.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
lol the hug is priceless

who can emphasize with or much less love someone so crazy

the world;;;; it's full of mysterious beauty.....

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

It's not even one half of a loving brussel sprout.

E: Though it's kinda dumb to start with brussel sprouts with someone who only eats potatoes. Surely they could've come up with something "milder" or whatever to sorta wean her on to real food. But it's TLC so they probably wanted the extra drama or whatever.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
So much drama for something she could easily swallow like a pill with a full liter of coke.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Will she survive the horror of eating one half of a brussel sprout? Tune in next week to find out.
She doesn't eat it. She gags and starts crying from just smelling it.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Eeyo posted:

If I'm reading it right, they're adding in aroma from the orange peel that they get during processing? In my mind, cutting into an orange and having the oils spray out is like half the experience of eating them.

Well the other thing is the juice itself has the oxygen removed from it in some kind of process. I believe they also capture volatiles from that process and then use it to bring the now-flavorless-but-long-storage-stable juice back to a flavorsome state. It's weird but somehow not classified as anything other than "juice." One could bring a reasonable objection to that.

Fresh squeezed still tastes better. So buy real fresh squeezed if you can, treat it like the treat it is. You can't drink a lot because it's expensive. But it is that damned good. I'm lucky we have a Wegman's nearby and they sell it. It's $8/half gallon. Cheaper than making it yourself at supermarket orange prices. Doesn't last like pasteurized. I still will never go back. I'll drink Tropicana or whatever if I'm at a friend's and I won't be a preachy dick about it; that's not cool. But here is where I'm allowed to preach a little.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Our Sunday treat is making orange juice from the big 10 lb. bags of valencias we get from our Mexican green grocer for $4 or $5 a bag. That's not expensive, I know, but you have to be careful with the best things in life, lest become mundane.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Squeezing orange juice from oranges is only expensive when it's not citrus season, but it's not worth it with the flavorless stuff that's available in summer anyway. Around now I can get navel oranges for like $.49/lb.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ive stumbled upon something strangely magical :

roasted sunchokes, sauteed mushrooms with a hard sear, roasted garlic, and diced preserved lemon. (and olive oil of course)

been trying hard to think of some applications for preserved lemons, cooked this up a couple days ago and it was aces.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Here's something to gently caress with y'all

The Orange Sky of Monrovia, an orange juice tanker, one of several operating on the world's oceans delivering orange juice from Florida, Brazil and other export countries to North America, Europa and markets around the globe. Gross tonnage just over 22000 tons.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sjurygg posted:

Here's something to gently caress with y'all

The Orange Sky of Monrovia, an orange juice tanker, one of several operating on the world's oceans delivering orange juice from Florida, Brazil and other export countries to North America, Europa and markets around the globe. Gross tonnage just over 22000 tons.

Amazing.

I broadly agree with the sentiments expressed on this page.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That's not expensive, I know, but you have to be careful with the best things in life, lest become mundane.

So true. I live in a city with ubiquitous orange groves and roadside stands selling 25 lb bags of oranges for $7.

Oranges kept dry and well ventilated actually keep for a surprisingly long time.

I realize my orange access is a luxury therefore I cannot preach against scientific methods to achieve a freshish tasting shelf stable product for the rest of the country.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jan 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

You sure are gonna give Sixgun Strumpet a run for his money for the next Grenadey awards.