Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It was limited in that most of the maps are small and consist primarily of narrow hallways and small rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CyRaptor posted:

Since we're talking about bad Doom 64 ports, here's a "demo" of sorts (the first 4 maps) of "Doom 64 Classic", a pet project of mine from a couple years ago. The aim was to recreate the maps of Doom 64 as faithfully as possible in the vanilla Doom engine with the original sprites and textures (and admittedly a handful of new ones). Obviously some stuff like the Hectic secret in Map01, the terraformer and escalator in Map02, and the rooms that build themselves in Map03 weren't possible, but I replicated them as well as I could. I'm particularly proud of the room behind the yellow door in Map03. Also, Nightmare Imps get replaced with Chaingunners, so that's fun.

Do you know about this? Kind of the same idea.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

al-azad posted:

Doom 64 is definitely a victim to the limited hardware of the N64. Playing EX made this all the more apparent.

Even so, I still think it is pretty impressive for what it is.

It's kinda like Doom 2 and Quake went and had a baby.

RyokoTK posted:

It was limited in that most of the maps are small and consist primarily of narrow hallways and small rooms.

I'm still having fun with the Doom 64 maps. As far as I'm concerned, that's all that matters.

:colbert:

The next time I play this game from the start, I'm going to disable mouselook. It just feels wrong, somehow.

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 23, 2014

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The 'music' in the second secret level was pretty horrifying. Crying babies in the distance :ohdear:

D64 is really atmospheric, and I like the level design a lot. The combat is kinda meh, and the demon laser seems to completely obsolete the plasma gun.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

RyokoTK posted:

This is the main reason why I'm not a huge fan of Doom 64. The maps are well designed but they slow the gameplay down too much when compared to the originals. Nothing really wrong with slower gameplay but I prefer the fast pace gameplay of the originals.

And not just sequel wise but gameplay wise, Doom 64 really is halfway between Doom 2 and Doom 3, if that makes sense.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Disabling the frame rate cap on Doom64EX made a huge difference in how responsive it felt

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Just a quick question on dying/respawn behavior in the normal Doom/Heretic/Hexen wads. From some brief testing with Doom it appears if you die you simply respawn at the beginning of the level with everything reset to how it was when the level loaded. Anyone know if this is also true for Hexen and Hexen 2? I'd like to do a "no save" run through that series which I think is bearable if you just have to repeat the level. Just enough incentive to not die but still challenging.

Also is it the Ultra-Violence(and equivalent) level for these games that is the highest without respawning enemies?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jive One posted:

Anyone know if this is also true for Hexen and Hexen 2?

I can't speak for Hexen 2, but the level and weapon progression in Hexen does not work the same way as it does in Doom and Heretic. Weapons are special and you only get one of each (for each class) per game. Additionally, each "level" is actually a series of many interconnected maps. Your plan will not work for Hexen.

EDIT: Oh, and vanilla behavior for death in Doom/Heretic is restarting the level with your bare essentials (e.g. 100 health, no armor, and a pistol with 50 bullets in Doom). ZDoom actually autosaves with each level and reloads the most-recent save upon death. Doing it this way isn't quite the same as a no-save run.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 24, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bouchacha posted:

Disabling the frame rate cap on Doom64EX made a huge difference in how responsive it felt

Same thing with GZDoom for me. Something about its frame cap implementation really fucks with the controls, and playing it uncapped means the game runs at 800 fps and has weird distortion effects when turning.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

victrix posted:

The 'music' in the second secret level was pretty horrifying. Crying babies in the distance :ohdear:

D64 is really atmospheric, and I like the level design a lot. The combat is kinda meh, and the demon laser seems to completely obsolete the plasma gun.

I looove the Doom 64 soundtrack; it really adds to the atmosphere of the game. The game's composer, Aubrey Hodges, released the soundtrack for sale online with a few unused bonus tracks a few years ago:

http://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/album/doom-64-official-soundtrack

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Jive One posted:

Just a quick question on dying/respawn behavior in the normal Doom/Heretic/Hexen wads. From some brief testing with Doom it appears if you die you simply respawn at the beginning of the level with everything reset to how it was when the level loaded. Anyone know if this is also true for Hexen and Hexen 2? I'd like to do a "no save" run through that series which I think is bearable if you just have to repeat the level. Just enough incentive to not die but still challenging.

Also is it the Ultra-Violence(and equivalent) level for these games that is the highest without respawning enemies?

Mak0rz covered Hexen 1, Hexen 2 is much the same in that it's hub-based and that it just reloads the autosave it makes at the beginning of each level when you die. Obviously, you can still do a "no quicksaves" rule to make it moderately more difficult, and don't switch levels except when you need to so as not to abuse that. It'll still be easier than a similar ironman run of Doom/Heretic, though.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

EDIT: Oh, and vanilla behavior for death in Doom/Heretic is restarting the level with your bare essentials (e.g. 100 health, no armor, and a pistol with 50 bullets in Doom). ZDoom actually autosaves with each level and reloads the most-recent save upon death. Doing it this way isn't quite the same as a no-save run.

Yeah, you could just do this though. It's the behavior he described -- reloading at the beginning of the level (I think he meant map) and retaining your gear.

You're right, of course, but he'd be able to play the game the way he asked.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

An Enormous Boner posted:

Yeah, you could just do this though. It's the behavior he described -- reloading at the beginning of the level (I think he meant map) and retaining your gear.

You're right, of course, but he'd be able to play the game the way he asked.

Oh yeah, you're right. I had to read the post again to figure that out :downs:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Did anyone play or hear of Tunnel B1? It was an FPS on DOS, PS1 and Saturn where you were in a hovertank and went around blowing stuff up with machine guns, lasers, etc. but the perspective was shifted upwards so it looked like you were looking at stuff from...I guess the view of the tank's turret?

(screenshot from the DOS version)

The music was all composed by Chris Huelsbeck and is pretty cool (also I'm pretty sure I heard the stage clear music in a Doom WAD), but it seems like the game has mixed reviews because of the fact that it gets balls hard later on and the controls are odd. The one thing that is a bit irritating to me is the health pickups are in radioactive barrels and if you don't get them in time they turn into nuclear waste that damages you. Other than that, I find it interesting in a bizarre way.

Bonus article on the game's development: http://www.edge-online.com/features/the-making-of-tunnel-b1/

Zeether fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 24, 2014

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
That looks like some great fun! Gonna have to check it out, thanks for sharing.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Tunnel B1 reminds me of a Saturn FPS I had when I was a kid: Ghen War. Ghen War was a somewhat entertaining FPS - you were basically a miner in a robot exoskeleton, fighting various aliens with laser, rockets, etc and had features like simple terrain deformation. What made it truly endearing, however, were the hilariously terrible FMV cutscenes and awful buttmetal intro song which unfortunately doesn't seem to be on Youtube.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 24, 2014

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Wild T posted:

Tunnel B1 reminds me of a Saturn FPS I had when I was a kid: Ghen War. Ghen War was a somewhat entertaining FPS - you were basically a miner in a robot exoskeleton, fighting various aliens with laser, rockets, etc and had features like simple terrain deformation. What made it truly endearing, however, were the hilariously terrible FMV cutscenes and awful buttmetal intro song which unfortunately doesn't seem to be on Youtube.

Is this the first game to star a Samuel L. Jackson doppelganger?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
We cannot speak about hilariously terrible FMV cutsenes in the early FPS thread and let CyClones go without a mention.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsbnxktcZgk

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Playing Doom 64 for the first time now, and I'm kind of torn about it.

On one hand, it is atmospheric as gently caress. Sound, graphics, lighting: everything hits a perfect sweetspot between Doom and Quake that I absolutely love.

I snagged Doom64 for my N64 shortly after its release all the way back when I was a wee 13 year old gamer. It scared the piss out of me back then. Especially at about level 12-14 when you leave the military installations and go offworld. I couldn't play it at night whatsoever.

I'm 29 years old now and to this day I cannot bring myself to play that game. The sound design and the level architecture of that game instill a level of terror in me that no other game has been able to replicate. I even pulled myself through Doom3 and I was able to play that at night no problem.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

AE-35 Unit posted:

... the replacement monster sound effects are lackluster...

With Doom64EX, you can replace DOOMSND.SF2 with this modded version that I made and get the regular Doom equivalents to every sound possible.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Did they disable infighting in 64EX or what?

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Bouchacha posted:

Did they disable infighting in 64EX or what?

Infighting works :confused: Hell Knights and Barons will even infight with each other in 64.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

With Doom64EX, you can replace DOOMSND.SF2 with this modded version that I made and get the regular Doom equivalents to every sound possible.

I like most of the new sounds, but imps and (especially) the cyberdemon alert and death sounds are just terrible.

I like the anguished moan made by cacodemons when they're killed, :allears:.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

ProjektorBoy posted:

I snagged Doom64 for my N64 shortly after its release all the way back when I was a wee 13 year old gamer. It scared the piss out of me back then. Especially at about level 12-14 when you leave the military installations and go offworld. I couldn't play it at night whatsoever.

I'm 29 years old now and to this day I cannot bring myself to play that game. The sound design and the level architecture of that game instill a level of terror in me that no other game has been able to replicate. I even pulled myself through Doom3 and I was able to play that at night no problem.

For me, Doom 3 is "just" the fear of scary monsters, and everything in the environment tied into that. The abandoned base is terrible, because monsters are coming to get you. Hell is scary, because more monsters can get you. But it's just that: fear of monsters.
Meanwhile, Doom 64 is just...wrong. The sounds are otherworldly and off, and the fact that leveldesign is bound to the limitations of an ancient engine ensures that, while we can recognise a little bit what such places were supposed to be, they come of wrong. It's like Hell has twisted what is normal and made it strange.

In Doom, when you enter E1M1, there is a kick-rear end guitar riff, a big gun, and colorful demons to slaughter. It's not scary; it's awesome.
In Doom 3, you hear the ambient sounds of machinery coming down a dark corridor. Suddenly a monster appears. AARGH! It's scary! And then you blow it away with a rocketlauncher.
In Doom 64, everything is off. The soundtrack is doom, gloom and sometimes crying babies. The world is too recognisable to be abstract, and to abstract to feel normal. This world is a nightmare, every bit of it. Here, the monster's aren't the scary thing: the scary thing is what lies underneath, out of sight but always suggested. Monsters? You can kill them all day, but you never forget that they are just a symptom of something far more terrible.

EDIT: After typing this, I went back to play some more. Now, I'm about halfway through the game and this is my first time playing, but my god this game is great. I've just reached the part that ProjektorBoy described, and it's amazing.

Imagine Doom meeting Quake. And I don't mean the first episode: I mean full-on, alien city, Elder God horrortown, late-game Quake. Now imagine Giger doing the designs. Its like walking around the derelict ship from Alien, with demons. I think The Dark Citadel might be my favorite Doom-map so far.

A Worrying Warlock fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 26, 2014

Svecke
Nov 8, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

We cannot speak about hilariously terrible FMV cutsenes in the early FPS thread and let CyClones go without a mention.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsbnxktcZgk

I don't feel so bad anymore that I only got the floppy version of CyClones and missed out on this.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I think The Dark Citadel might be my favorite Doom-map so far.

Took me a week of summoning enough courage to make it through that map. Terrifying and brilliantly planned out barriers & monster rooms. The level that broke me was Map 17: Watch Your Step. The red haze in the air and the onslaught of deviously designed monster spawns just broke me. My memories of the game are rather fuzzy after that, as I just used cheat passwords to get to the end. I think you nailed it on the Giger stuff too. Like if Giger tried Brutalism, or something like that.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013
Out of curiosity, does anyone know of a Doom 1/2 mod that makes everything look like it is cel-shaded (cartoon-ish)?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jakcson posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know of a Doom 1/2 mod that makes everything look like it is cel-shaded (cartoon-ish)?

You would have to redo every single sprite and texture in the game, since you can't really do cel-shading automatically on sprites like that. It only works right on polygons, because you're painting whole surfaces with a gradient shader. I think the most you could do is a sort-of Bordlands black outline effect.

And after all, isn't Doom already pretty cartoonish, especially with a HQx effect applied in GZDoom?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jakcson posted:

Action Doom 2?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

KozmoNaut posted:

You would have to redo every single sprite and texture in the game, since you can't really do cel-shading automatically on sprites like that. It only works right on polygons, because you're painting whole surfaces with a gradient shader. I think the most you could do is a sort-of Bordlands black outline effect.

And after all, isn't Doom already pretty cartoonish, especially with a HQx effect applied in GZDoom?

He's probably asking if there's a .wad floating around with said redone sprites.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Gimnbo posted:

He's probably asking if there's a .wad floating around with said redone sprites.

Well, I couldn't find anything for Doom...

But I did find something called Wrack. Has anyone tried this game?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Urban Brawl relies on some linedef tricks to create outlines around sector geometry, so a "cel-shaded mod" couldn't provide that for stock maps.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cat Mattress posted:

Urban Brawl relies on some linedef tricks to create outlines around sector geometry, so a "cel-shaded mod" couldn't provide that for stock maps.

I don't remember liking Action Doom 2, but goddamn, it's an incredible technical achievement, at the very least.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Jakcson posted:

I paid into Wrack early. It's not bad, given the trend of poorly replicating old-school FPS games, but it definitely needs more work.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
^^^^ Edit: Well goddamn, you beat me to my own question.

Jakcson posted:

Wait, is Wrack "Out" yet? Steam still says its early access. :raise:

Anyone given it a try lately and have thoughts to share on it? Do you move as fast as you do in doom?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Wrack has boring weapons, boring enemies, horrendous level design, and awful music.

Really disappointing game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Doom 64EX is awesome and I recommend any Doom fan try it, I'm really impressed.

The 'new' Nerve wad for Doom 2 is pretty cool, I hit the 5th map after the secret level and I've died twice now trying to get through, they dump shitloads of monsters on you after certain trigger points.

Doom is like the best lunch break fps, I can play a few levels here and there and it's always fun :neckbeard:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Just let Nerve make Doom 4 since they're pretty good at it. Also just make it a new Doom iwad with new textures and maybe a handful of new guns and monsters and sell it on Steam for like $15.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

victrix posted:

Doom 64EX is awesome and I recommend any Doom fan try it, I'm really impressed.

The 'new' Nerve wad for Doom 2 is pretty cool, I hit the 5th map after the secret level and I've died twice now trying to get through, they dump shitloads of monsters on you after certain trigger points.

Doom is like the best lunch break fps, I can play a few levels here and there and it's always fun :neckbeard:

I really liked Wolf3D on the gameboy advance. Controls are perfect and the graphics look great on the system. You can sit down to kill some Nazis anywhere, like on the toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

I really liked Wolf3D on the gameboy advance. Controls are perfect and the graphics look great on the system. You can sit down to kill some Nazis anywhere, like on the toilet.

The Doom ports were pretty good. Doom 1 had some weird issues with different level orders and the wrong music being on levels, and didn't include Thy Flesh Consumed, but Doom 2 was an extremely faithful port, with the exception of some of the larger levels being split in two.