Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
The thing about streaming services is that I don't know if they'd have a lot of the things I listen to. Stuff like movie scores and old game soundtracks and obscure-ish EDM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

Was that before or after both he and Mariqueen shut down their accounts and stayed out of social media for a bit?

I don't know or care much. When I saw that news posted I just flipped because Foo, Queens, and Nine are like in my top 5 favorite bands. I'm just hoping against hope now for some kind of more industrial Them Crooked Vultures follow up.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I suppose it would be a lot more appealing to me if, say, I was on the road all the time for work and had an AUX input jack in my car/truck and I didn't have the time to buy music and put it on my iPod. Then it would come in super handy. But for the situation I'm in now, I'd rather just hang onto my iPod.

And also had an unlimited data plan on your mobile device, which I think is a limiting factor which keeps a lot of people (like me!) tied to using MP3s or whatever on their phone/ipod instead of a streaming service.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Perfidus posted:

The thing about streaming services is that I don't know if they'd have a lot of the things I listen to. Stuff like movie scores and old game soundtracks and obscure-ish EDM.

Movie scores I know for sure are on there at least on spotify. And sometimes game soundtracks too (but not old ones). Obviously stuff like obscure EDM remixes are probably not going to be there at all I don't think.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Platypus Farm posted:

And also had an unlimited data plan on your mobile device, which I think is a limiting factor which keeps a lot of people (like me!) tied to using MP3s or whatever on their phone/ipod instead of a streaming service.
I do have an unlimited plan and have for a few years, but it's not like I feel like I have to get the most out of it by signing up for a service like this and constantly streaming full albums to my phone. It is really nice never having to worry about hitting a data cap when I use the radio features of iTunes Radio, di.fm, Pandora, etc. though :shobon:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I suppose it would be a lot more appealing to me if, say, I was on the road all the time for work and had an AUX input jack in my car/truck and I didn't have the time to buy music and put it on my iPod. Then it would come in super handy. But for the situation I'm in now, I'd rather just hang onto my iPod.

I guess where you and me differ is that I am on the road constantly and my car has bluetooth (plus aux input/usb port) so for me I'm always using it. I used to pay for spotify before it started cutting hard into my needs like food and stuff. I got some more disposable income now so I'm thinking of signing up for this since it has a lot of potential.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Trent has a playlist he made called "Shameless self promotion." :mmmhmm:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Woah, just heard Trent's voice in a Beats Music commercial while watching Adult Swim. I wasn't even really paying attention to the commercials, but then I started hearing him talk and I thought "...Trent?", and sure enough, I looked up and it was a commercial for Beats Music.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Yeah, I'm actually pretty impressed with it so far for something Beats branded. The Mad Libs style curation is working shockingly well for me so far, although there's been some instability with the app. It seems like a pretty nice balance between Spotify's social focus and Rdio's library management.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

obeyasia posted:

If I could erase dumb poo poo I said in the past in the light of new experiences and information, I would too. It's unreasonable to expect ones attitude to remain the same for their entire life and you're a childish poo poo slinger if you think this is some kind of "gotcha" moment.

New information like what? It's not like he's just now discovered what being on a major label was like. For all the talk of how labels were dinosaurs he went running back to them really fast.

I guess I'm just finding Trent increasingly lame in general over the past 4-5 years.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

New information like what? It's not like he's just now discovered what being on a major label was like. For all the talk of how labels were dinosaurs he went running back to them really fast.

I guess I'm just finding Trent increasingly lame in general over the past 4-5 years.

The new information was probably "touring and promoting an album off of a major label is really loving expensive and hard, even with my die hard internet fans."

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

The new information was probably "touring and promoting an album off of a major label is really loving expensive and hard, even with my die hard internet fans."

Then he shouldn't have been so quick to give 100 interviews talking about how behind the times and obsolete major labels are.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TOOT BOOT posted:

Then he shouldn't have been so quick to give 100 interviews talking about how behind the times and obsolete major labels are.

There's a difference between practice and theory. In theory he's right. He could still be off label if his over head were that of someone like DIIV. But big projects and big ideas cost time and money. I don't see why I would chastise someone for trying a radically new approach and it not working out. I also appreciate his candor even if his feelings change. To be fair its not like he's guesting on Miley Cyrus, or producing for Lady Gaga.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I don't blame him for going back to a label, but the backpedaling on the Grammys thing is pretty funny. I know he's a Grown Up Man now and the "gently caress the system" schtick is getting old, but it does come off as pretty hypocritical. TOOT BOOT is right, nothing has really changed between then and now other than him being invited to perform. He was in the 40s back then and he's still in his 40s now. There has been no grand revelation or shift in the industry.

"gently caress the grammys"

*gets invited to perform*

"hah, jk jk"

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All we have to go on is what has been shared with the public. So you take from that what you want to I guess. Because in 3 years, nothing changes for anyone, especially if they don't tweet about it lol.

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
Well, today I'm getting this error when I try to login to Beatsmusic: {"message":"TokenGrant uuid not found"}
so...progress?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

obeyasia posted:

There's a difference between practice and theory. In theory he's right. He could still be off label if his over head were that of someone like DIIV. But big projects and big ideas cost time and money. I don't see why I would chastise someone for trying a radically new approach and it not working out. I also appreciate his candor even if his feelings change. To be fair its not like he's guesting on Miley Cyrus, or producing for Lady Gaga.

I would kill for a Reznor produced Gaga album. Literally kill for it. You, my friends or family, doesn't matter. If it made that happen I'd do it.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ballgameover.mp3 posted:

Well, today I'm getting this error when I try to login to Beatsmusic: {"message":"TokenGrant uuid not found"}
so...progress?

Yeah, I think they've been having login issues all day. It forgot who I was then promptly crashed, and I haven't been able to log back in.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
I really like the Everything remix. I also like Autolux quite a bit, but it's not like that is very representative of their music (except synth bits around 2:36 maybe).

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Just heard Find My Way on CSI tonight. Thinking of it, I remember nin being on that show a lot in the past. I stopped watching when Grissom left like eight years ago.

Then again years ago it was common to hear lots of NIN. I guess I just found it noteworthy that it happened in 2014 with a new song that isn't even a single.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

The remix EP is out there if you look hard enough (not that hard)

I won't link because :filez:

Edit: Album artwork if anyone is interested.

ExplodingSquid fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 24, 2014

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

BANME.sh posted:

I don't blame him for going back to a label, but the backpedaling on the Grammys thing is pretty funny. I know he's a Grown Up Man now and the "gently caress the system" schtick is getting old, but it does come off as pretty hypocritical. TOOT BOOT is right, nothing has really changed between then and now other than him being invited to perform. He was in the 40s back then and he's still in his 40s now. There has been no grand revelation or shift in the industry.

The older you get, the more you realize there's battles to fight and battles to let go of. Actually scratch that, it has less to do with age and more to do with a clearer perspective of the world around you.

Caring about the Grammys either way is a battle to let go of. He's pretty much going to jam on stage with a bunch of bands he's friends with and Lindsey Buckingam who is awesome and is on Hesitation Marks. When you look at those names it sounds like the California Rock clique (Which TR is a part of now) waving some power in the music industry. But it could also just be a bunch of likeminded musicians wanting to play together on a big TV platform.

The only thing I really hope Trent does more of is appear on younger artist's records to give them some publicity and exposure. Goto New Zealand and play with Naked and Famous or something. Pull a Bowie.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The older you get, the more you realize there's battles to fight and battles to let go of. Actually scratch that, it has less to do with age and more to do with a clearer perspective of the world around you.

Caring about the Grammys either way is a battle to let go of. He's pretty much going to jam on stage with a bunch of bands he's friends with and Lindsey Buckingam who is awesome and is on Hesitation Marks. When you look at those names it sounds like the California Rock clique (Which TR is a part of now) waving some power in the music industry. But it could also just be a bunch of likeminded musicians wanting to play together on a big TV platform.

The only thing I really hope Trent does more of is appear on younger artist's records to give them some publicity and exposure. Goto New Zealand and play with Naked and Famous or something. Pull a Bowie.

That's a fair assessment I could see being believable. I know I feel the same way personally. My attitude on things changes with experience and time.

Rolling Stone article, briefly discusses involvement with Beats and new material this fall.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/trent-reznor-on-why-beats-is-worth-your-money-and-nins-next-plans-20140124

ballgameover.mp3
Oct 21, 2008
I still haven't gotten the drat thing to work. I'm getting emails about having preregistered a name, etc. The site still doesn't pop anything up for me other than a blank white screen with some tiny chunk of code on it, or one of the many screens telling me to download BeatsMusic for my Android or Apple device (Windows coming soon) which I do not have a current enough version of either to use. Ther still isn't a page I can get to where I can just give them my money and get the service. That "Just For You" page that I've seen screenshots of simply doesn't ever appear. The whole thing doesn't work at all on any of my computers, and I've really been looking forward to it.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Goto New Zealand and play with Naked and Famous or something. Pull a Bowie.

The last time NIN came here the opening band was actually the Naked and Famous, before they got popular. Was pretty awesome!

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Just saw a Beats commercial. Trent's voice over some Ghosts track.

God is dead

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

magiccarpet posted:

God is dead

And no ones cares.

(if there is a Hell, I'll see you there)

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

magiccarpet posted:

God is dead

Yeah, gently caress him for endorsing a service he helped design on a core level. So lame.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I took it more that there was voice over a Ghost track. :shrug:

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

obeyasia posted:

Yeah, gently caress him for endorsing a service he helped design on a core level. So lame.

I was being a bit sarcastic. It is a strange weekend to be a NIN fan. (I'll watch tonight).

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Vampire Weekend won over NIN for best "Alternative." I didn't even know that was still a category, Alternative feels very late 90s.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
It's the Grammys. Not exactly a cutting edge youth program. They still use the word electronica too.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Trent has obviously gotten older, more mature, and probably way happier with his kids now. If there's more to it than just slapping an endorsement, then how is he selling out? He's not going to sing Closer in 20 years so he's just setting himself and his family up for success in the future.

Sefiros
Mar 16, 2006

go radish go

Perfidus posted:

It's the Grammys. Not exactly a cutting edge youth program. They still use the word electronica too.

I use that word to describe my own music.

That might explain why I'm getting nowhere.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Yeah you probably don't want to use that. Or techno. (There is a genre called techno, but using it as a blanket term for all electronic music a la electronica is very 90's)

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Nobody listens to techno

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo, they're playing Copy Of A with a full light show at the Grammies! :aaa:

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
That was pretty incoherent due to time restraints.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Did they for serious just cut that performance off?

Edit: I mean I wasn't expecting basically anything, and then they pulled out the full light show...then Delta ad.

ultramiraculous fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Twitter rage starts now