Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Well they closed the show. I fully expected them to be cut off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I'll get you next time Gadget - next time!
I hope Trent now a-flip-flop-flip-flop-flips his opinion of the Grammys back to the negative, hahaha.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwEwypvmpiM

here's a not very good quality recording, hopefully we'll get like a VEVO or Vimeo upload of the whole song.

Also it makes me even more jealous that Aus gets QOTSA and NIN.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

We got QotSA and NIN a while back during the With Teeth tour duder. DFA1979 as well!

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Claw posted:

I hope Trent now a-flip-flop-flip-flop-flips his opinion of the Grammys back to the negative, hahaha.

Hopefully those labels don't have his head on a string.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Oh Trent, you knew what you were getting into.

https://twitter.com/trent_reznor/status/427674918138826752

quote:

Trent Reznor
@trent_reznor
Music's biggest night... to be disrespected. A heartfelt gently caress YOU guys.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9dZOyIJOyI

Dr Tran fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 27, 2014

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

Wow. And there it is, folks. He's back!

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Wow that was a great performance, but what a terrible way to cut it off. Hopefully a full video finds its way online.

Also so happy to see Jon Theodore jamming out in a band again. :3:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was wondering how long it would take him to say something about it.

There's the Trent we all know and love :allears:

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP
Well, they still came out ahead by not being Metallica because holy poo poo that was cringe worthy.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

samurai slowdown posted:

Well, they still came out ahead by not being Metallica because holy poo poo that was cringe worthy.

I didn't think there was another way for me to be entirely bored by One and adding a world class pianist didn't disappoint

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
That performance of Copy of A was still awesome. Add Linsey Buckingham to the tour!

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

samurai slowdown posted:

James Hetfield dressed as someone's dad was easily the worst part of that show.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

The REAL Goobusters posted:

That performance of Copy of A was still awesome. Add Linsey Buckingham to the tour!

FM-NIN-2014

That would unironically own, as opposed to NINJA which was a good excuse to go home early.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

bovis posted:

The last time NIN came here the opening band was actually the Naked and Famous, before they got popular. Was pretty awesome!

They once posted on Instagram where they were smoking and using his Grammy for "Wish" as an ashtray. Pretty much cemented them as my new favourite band after Innerpartysystem broke up.

EDIT: It was Pinterest and Happiness in Slavery http://www.pinterest.com/pin/539728336564566136/

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 27, 2014

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

He wasn't on stage for very long after the screen dropped and Homme showed up? I couldn't tell who left and who remained for the QOTSA song.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

hatelull posted:

He wasn't on stage for very long after the screen dropped and Homme showed up? I couldn't tell who left and who remained for the QOTSA song.

He was back there on the keys.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Was he? I couldn't tell if he just did an exit stage right or if he stuck around. They cut QOTSA short, but I thought "copy of a ..." seemed pretty normal. I could easily be wrong though.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007

hatelull posted:

Was he? I couldn't tell if he just did an exit stage right or if he stuck around. They cut QOTSA short, but I thought "copy of a ..." seemed pretty normal. I could easily be wrong though.

They cut quite a few bars out of Copy of A, which was really jarring on first listen. That's normal for TV/awards shows, though. It's gotta be weird for a performer who has done a song 100 times and then has to fight that muscle memory and sing the verse four bars sooner, etc. It might just be me - but it sounds like Trent fumbles after the first chorus when he starts "I am little pieces..." Normally, there would be four bars of guitar wankery before he had to sing again after the chorus.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ken Ehrlich, the executive producer of the Grammys, had this to say in response to hearing about Trent's tweet about getting cut off:

Ken Ehrlich posted:

I’m sorry he was upset. I was really thrilled that we were finally getting him on the Grammys. The final jam started with Arcade Fire a few years ago, and LL Cool J last year. I want to end on a high, an up note. I did tell them we’d take it as long as we could. The number was about five, six minutes long, and we got to within a minute twenty of the end. We got as close as we could possibly get.
Not really a proper apology though...

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Yeah that's not an apology at all. gently caress that guy.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
"I'm sorry you're mad" is pretty much the definition of a non-apology

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
On the other hand, I really doubt trent was never told about the format of the final thing for the show.

To be clear, I think the cutting off business was obnoxious, but it's a show produced to run on television with particular and specific time requirements. I really doubt it was just a total surprise that they cut to commercial. And even if it was, he still got a fat rear end check, which is why he was there anyway, so...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Platypus Farm posted:

On the other hand, I really doubt trent was never told about the format of the final thing for the show.

To be clear, I think the cutting off business was obnoxious, but it's a show produced to run on television with particular and specific time requirements. I really doubt it was just a total surprise that they cut to commercial. And even if it was, he still got a fat rear end check, which is why he was there anyway, so...
Yeah but he was already kind of betraying his beliefs by being there (as shown by his Twitter), so to get dicked over like that by the event probably hurt him twice as much.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Platypus Farm posted:

Nope.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
On one hand, he should know that big network tv has time constraints to abide by. On the other hand, the network should know how to allot time for every award and performer, and maybe they should have cut some speeches short instead.

Oh well. Award shows are dumb anyhow

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

That's... really not a very useful comment. Expand, maybe?

edit: ^^^ well yeah it's dumb, but obviously he was pretty upset over it, which doesn't make a lot of sense for someone who has certainly seen the show before.

also - betraying his beliefs? Really? No one forced him to show up. He was doing it because he wanted to do it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Platypus Farm posted:

also - betraying his beliefs? Really? No one forced him to show up. He was doing it because he wanted to do it.
True, but his gut instinct was "gently caress the Grammys", which he posted on Twitter a few years ago and has said before in reference to his Happiness in Slavery Grammy. I'm sure he signed up for it because it was a chance to play with some of his best buds on a huge stage in front of tons of people, not because of the check, and of course he's bummed out because the tons of people he wanted to play in front of only got to see an abridged version of what he was doing. He's not exactly hurting for money. I'm sure the pay was a nice bonus for him but I reeeeeally doubt that's why he took the gig. He still got paid so it's not like he was bitching about doing it for free or anything.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

True, but his gut instinct was "gently caress the Grammys", which he posted on Twitter a few years ago and has said before in reference to his Happiness in Slavery Grammy. I'm sure he signed up for it because it was a chance to play with some of his best buds on a huge stage in front of tons of people, not because of the check, and of course he's bummed out because the tons of people he wanted to play in front of only got to see an abridged version of what he was doing. He's not exactly hurting for money. I'm sure the pay was a nice bonus for him but I reeeeeally doubt that's why he took the gig. He still got paid so it's not like he was bitching about doing it for free or anything.

Okay, see that makes a lot more sense than him throwing a fit on twitter and just spraying some expletives. I can understand why he was upset, but at some point you gotta start saying more constructive things than just throwing out some gently caress this and gently caress that and calling it a day. If he spent five or ten minutes saying WHAT he was upset about, or was unclear over, that would be a lot more useful.

For example - if they never told QOTSA/Trent they were playing stripped down "medley" versions of their songs, that's hosed up. If they weren't told how much time they actually had to plan what they were doing? hosed up too. Talking about that stuff is the way to open more eyes about how cut-throat and not at all about the music the grammys are. But then again, yeah, everyone who cares about this issue knows the shows are dumb and all that.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm sure they all signed massive NDAs

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I really enjoyed this. I think you might too: https://soundcloud.com/fredscott-1/this-is-a-trent-reznor-song

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I hope TR hears this

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh my god, this is wonderful :allears:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

I was about to come in and post this haha. It's pretty good.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I was about to come in and post this haha. It's pretty good.

This thing is veryawesome.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It'd be better if it weren't a straight-up copy of Copy of A, but it's pretty cute.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

It'd be better if it weren't a straight-up copy of Copy of A, but it's pretty cute.

:thejoke:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

It's just that it's stuck somewhere between a style parody -- like, "I can write a NIN song too" -- and a "song with different lyrics" parody, and I'm not sure which one it is.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, Germs by Weird Al is a much better version of the same basic idea here, and is from...jesus, 15-20 years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah, Germs by Weird Al is a much better version of the same basic idea here, and is from...jesus, 15-20 years ago?
They're all over me!
They're inside of me!
Can't get 'em off of me!
I'm crawling with microscopic bacteria