Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Ker-ching!

Edit: Holy poo poo evidence is amazing.

quote:

Jim Old ‏@SkyFixerJim 3m
On day 1 he was given a target list to "get cracking on". The jury is shown a copy of the email. List on names, addresses and numbers.

quote:

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 2m
List handed to Evans of phone hacking targets and numbers still being shown to jury - already ten closely typed pages.

quote:

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 3m
The list of alleged phone hacking targets has hundreds of names and phone numbers

quote:

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 1m
This list emailed from NOTW is in addition to the list Dan Evans had

Plavski fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

So is this coulson dead in the water? And thus by extension Mrs Brooks?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Will anybody be done for perjury during Leveson based on evidence that comes out in the trial?

Because if people get away with lying during that enquiry then what was the point of having an oath?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

drat excited for the continuation of Dan Evans' evidence today. Nuts to work, I'll be F5'ing like mad.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

thehustler posted:

Will anybody be done for perjury during Leveson based on evidence that comes out in the trial?

Because if people get away with lying during that enquiry then what was the point of having an oath?

You generally don't bother with perjury as a separate charge when someone lies in their own defence, the judge will just take it into account during sentencing.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Plavski posted:

drat excited for the continuation of Dan Evans' evidence today. Nuts to work, I'll be F5'ing like mad.

Keep us posted, this is very interesting! I want to see these fuckers get their comeuppance :getin:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

quote:

@Fhamiltontimes Rolf Harris was among celebs that Evans attempted to hack but didn't succeed #hacking

:allears: There's a counterfactual to think about.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Alchenar posted:

You generally don't bother with perjury as a separate charge when someone lies in their own defence, the judge will just take it into account during sentencing.

Even though the trial and the inquiry are different events?

I'm not talking about the people on trial now, I'm talking about people like Piers Morgan. If some evidence comes out in this trial that shows that what he said was untrue, could the CPS decide to bring perjury charges?

So many people lied during Leveson and I'm really angry about it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

Keep us posted, this is very interesting! I want to see these fuckers get their comeuppance :getin:

Highlights so far:

quote:

Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 16m
Evans says #hacking 'came up daily' in discussions with some colleagues at NotW

quote:

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 14m
"I was feeling particularly bullied... monstered" says Evans. "You don't come up with a front page story you might as well jump off a cliff"

quote:

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 13m
Evans talks about an email he received on a Friday: "Feeling terrorised.... I hadn't produced a lot of phone hacking material"

quote:

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 12m
'As far as I'm concerned your USP is the phones," says NOTW journalist to Evans: "And I suggest you loving get on with some more."

quote:

Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 10m
Evans says he hacked actor daniel Craig's phone weekend after 'bollocking' and heard msg from sienna miller ending 'I love you' #hacking

quote:

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 7m
"Play it for me... let's hear it," said NOTW journo of Dan Evan's hacking of Daniel Craig. "I played on dictatphone... he got very excited"

quote:

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 5m
'It was the incontrovertible truth the NOTW editor needed to run a story" says Dan Evans of hacking Daniel Craig

quote:

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 4m
"Who set up this operation," asks Edis. "Andy..." replies Evans.

quote:

Jim Old ‏@SkyFixerJim 4m
Evans: we had to create a line of deniability, to stand up the story in different ways ... in case anyone tried to sue us down the line.

quote:

lisa o'carroll ‏@lisaocarroll 1m
Evans tells how he played the Sienna Miller message to Andy Coulson. "He was very animated" and shouted to colleague "brilliant"

quote:

Dominic Casciani ‏@BBCDomC 1m
Another superior, alongside Andy Coulson, congratulated Evans on his Daniel Craig hack by saying "You're a company man now"

quote:

BREAKING: Dan Evans claims Andy Coulson directly told him to make Daniel Craig tape look like it was delivered anonymously

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Evans has fingered Coulson directly for the "operation" using the Daniel Craig hack. I wonder who XXXX is though?

e: beaten :v:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

thehustler posted:

Even though the trial and the inquiry are different events?

I'm not talking about the people on trial now, I'm talking about people like Piers Morgan. If some evidence comes out in this trial that shows that what he said was untrue, could the CPS decide to bring perjury charges?

So many people lied during Leveson and I'm really angry about it.

Fairly certain nobody other than those hacks already done for it actually admitted to knowing about hacking at Leveson (or in front of the DCMS committee for that matter), rather that they didn't recall any such activities going on.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

quote:

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 6m
"I was dispatched to front up Daniel Craig later that week," says Evans. "I went to his house... knocked on his door... he had bloodshot eye

quote:

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 6m
"I'm very sorry to do this to you.... But we're running a story you're having an affair with Sienna Miller" "no, no. It's not true," Craig.

quote:

"I kept monitoring Daniel's voicemail,' says Evans of that week. Jude law left 'bitchy message':"Thanks, mate. Hope Saskia doesn't find out"

quote:

"Effectively Jude Law approved the story," says Evans of publicist's response to Daniel Craig Sienna Miller affair.

quote:

Jim Old ‏@SkyFixerJim 2m
The story went in the NotW the next weekend. #phonehacking

So that's phone hacking, from hack, to gossip, to confirmation, to covering-of-arses, to publishing.

quote:

Jim Old ‏@SkyFixerJim 6m
Evans: "for the record I'd like to apologise to all involved who had their privacy infringed."

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Plavski posted:

So that's phone hacking, from hack, to gossip, to confirmation, to covering-of-arses, to publishing.

With the slight removal of the fact someone got fitted up for an affair he didn't have because he had his voicemail hacked. But that's not a sexy story, is it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

ewe2 posted:

With the slight removal of the fact someone got fitted up for an affair he didn't have because he had his voicemail hacked. But that's not a sexy story, is it.

The actual article that came out went to three pages:

quote:

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 3m
"It was an amalgam... source... PR, intercepted voicemails and the cuttings system," says Evans of his NOTW story on Law, Miller and Craig

quote:

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 7m
"There's nothing going on. It's wrong. Just wrong," says D Craig of affair allegations in internal NOTW emails.

It's pretty sickening. "You're a company man now".

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Plavski posted:

It's pretty sickening. "You're a company man now".

Yeah, and the clear collusion of Laws publicist is pathetic too. In for a win, eh?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

quote:

Dan Evans says that he only had ONE direct conversation with Andy Coulson about phone hacking - the Daniel Craig affair story.

quote:

Martin Hickman ‏@martin_hickman 1m
BREAKING - Dan Evans names 10 NoW journalists who knew about his phone hacking.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

After a brief talk about his past problems with drugs, Dan Evans' main evidence is done. He's up for cross-examination now. This is being delayed till 14:15 as there is new documentation that's just arrived which needs to be examined.

The Graun has put up a brief bit about the Craig/Miller hacking.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Guardian story about Jude Laws evidence to the trial which seems a little unconvincing to me given that he apparently suspected all around him.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Fairly certain nobody other than those hacks already done for it actually admitted to knowing about hacking at Leveson (or in front of the DCMS committee for that matter), rather that they didn't recall any such activities going on.

Right but if, say, some emails come out which prove Morgan knew, then he would have been proved to have lied.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Peter Jukes has achieved his funding goal, yay! Lots more trialtweeting for everyone.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Once I get paid I'll stick in £100 for the Post trial discussion. There's way more stuff going on in the background of this than can be written about at the moment, so those are good place to share.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Trial adjourned until tomorrow. The documents arrived at half one and "with the best will in the world, they can't be assimilated today." They'll resume at 10am.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

thehustler posted:

Right but if, say, some emails come out which prove Morgan knew, then he would have been proved to have lied.

Not really - he just didn't recall it when asked about it. Any half-decent lawyer would absolutely tear to shreds any prosecution that tried to push the issue. It's easy to prove someone was *told* about something, but absent a real smoking gun like Piers (or any of the defendants in the trial) saying in an email "Yes please hack the voicemails of these people immediately" then there's no way at all of proving that they understood that information, at least not to the extent that would require a prosecution.

gently caress it, Morgan dedicated some journalism award for a story to Vodafone's security in a speech widely reported even at the time and even that's not enough to convict him.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

loving bollocks :(

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Dan Evans' cross-examination starts this morning at 10. I'll post any of the interesting titbits for those who can't keep twitter open at work.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Plavski posted:

Dan Evans' cross-examination starts this morning at 10. I'll post any of the interesting titbits for those who can't keep twitter open at work.

What ended up being in the new papers they recessed for yesterday?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

What ended up being in the new papers they recessed for yesterday?

I haven't seen anything about them yet. We'll probably find out during today's examination.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

When Coulson said "Brilliant!" when listening to the Miller tape, Evans was paraphrasing.

quote:

Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 35s
Coulson lawyer says to Evans 'the account you are giving now about your time at NotW is not the account you started with in 2010' #hacking

quote:

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 28s
Dan Evans: "Yes I lied.... I was part of a conspiracy." Langdale goes back to the civil proceedings over hacking of Kelly Hoppen in 2009

quote:

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 1m
"You decided to deny the truth..." says Langdale. "I'm ashamed to say I did,' replies Evans. "We'll see how ashamed you are,' says Langdale

quote:

Evans has been accused of being a liar. He replies that there was a "conspiracy" at the newspaper to cover up hacking and he "toed the line"

Plavski fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jan 29, 2014

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Seems pretty desperate.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

quote:

Jim Old ‏@SkyFixerJim 13m
Evans says his lawyer was told by the police that they would be interested in what he had to say and by Nov 2011 he was considering it.

quote:

Dominic Casciani ‏@BBCDomC 13m
QC for Mr Coulson asks Evans how he came to ultimately rely on a bogus defence when he was caught. Evans: "It was entirely my own decision."

quote:

Jim Old ‏@SkyFixerJim 12m
Langdale says that by December he was seeking complete immunity from prosecution. Evans "in an ideal world yeah".

quote:

Dominic Casciani ‏@BBCDomC 10m
Evans sought immunity over #hacking. QC for Andy Coulson asks if he tried "to get away without being prosecuted" Evans: "Yes."

quote:

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 9m
"I've waived in general," says Evans of his legal privilege: "as part of this process of transparency."

quote:

Because of the false statements in the Kelly Hoppen litigation meant, alleges Langdale, meant there was a problem with getting immunity
(New Int. had picked up on a comment by Evans saying that his phone had 'sticky keys' which lead to his hacking fuckup. They added these words to a statement and he went along with it, but there were problems with this statement as it was all cover-ups.)

quote:

Jim Old ‏@SkyFixerJim 2m
Evans: I was a very frightened man. Caught between the Prime Minister.. the tabloid world... highly paid lawyers. I'm very sorry for lying.

quote:

Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 1m
Court hears Evans was advised that he would 'only be a candidate for immunity if he spoke to the police about others' at NotW #hacking

Plavski fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 29, 2014

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
What's he referring to when he mentions the PM?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

mfcrocker posted:

What's he referring to when he mentions the PM?

Operation Weeting and the huge pressures coming down from above.

Here's a telegraph piece about his arrest in 2011: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...th-hacking.html

Plavski fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jan 29, 2014

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

quote:

Dominic Casciani ‏@BBCDomC 2m
Dan Evans says #hacking was widely discussed. QC for Andy Coulson says that Evans never went to daily editorial conferences.

quote:

Jim Old ‏@SkyFixerJim 1m
He forces Evans to concede that this observation was based on a single conversation with a colleague. He didn't attend them himself. 2/2

quote:

Coulson lawyer tells court Evans is 'prone to making sweeping generalisations', to which he replies 'that's incorrect' #hacking

quote:

Fiona Hamilton ‏@Fhamiltontimes 1m
Evans told police he took wrong path many, wanted to be able to tell his kids to tell truth and that's why he was coming clean re #hacking

quote:

"To be fair, I didn't really understand the ramifications of all this," says Evans. Langdale says "I'll discuss later." Evans "Can't wait"

quote:

lisa o'carroll ‏@lisaocarroll 1m
Evans cracks quip "I can't wait" when QC tells him he will come to a particular point later. Judge asks him to "avoid comments like that"

Plavski fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 29, 2014

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

quote:

Evans confirms when advised by lawyers that police 'must be considering' full immunity he said it was 'the only thing I'm after' #hacking

quote:

September 2012 Evans had a further lengthy interview with police about phone hacking

quote:

"Then your prospects of getting section 71 immunity began to darken, didn't they?" says Langdale to Evans, who agrees.

quote:

Fiona Hamilton ‏@Fhamiltontimes 55s
In the event, police refused to give Evans immunity although they couldn't use his I/v evidence against him #hacking

quote:

Fiona Hamilton ‏@Fhamiltontimes 3m
CPS instead offered Dan Evans reduction on sentence if he pleaded guilty. His lawyers argued it would "hang over his head" #hacking

Plavski fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 29, 2014

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Accusing a notw journo of making 'sweeping generalisations'? Hmm.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
It's interesting to watch this. It's plain to everyone who wasn't born yesterday that NOTW was rife with this stuff, but proving it in a legal sense is another matter.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Most of the examination today has been going over the circumstances of Evans' arrest, the statements he made and the attempts to get immunity. It's vital stuff, but not particularly explosive.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Zephro posted:

It's interesting to watch this. It's plain to everyone who wasn't born yesterday that NOTW was rife with this stuff, but proving it in a legal sense is another matter.

That's the key here. Andy Coulson was either implicit or incompetent (neither of which reflect well on Cameron's choice to hire him.) He either knew and approved of the methods (likely) or didn't question where these magic stories came from which, as an editor, he kind of has to. At best, he intentionally made himself ignorant of any goings on, but one would have to go through such efforts to do so that you would have to know or suspect there was something you didn't want to know. Hopefully the evidence will be strong enough to seal it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

quote:

True Crime Inc ‏@wensleyclarkson 27m
PHONE HACKING - MORE ARRESTS? Cops still in 'negotiation' with lawyers for other alleged tabloid phone hackers, including some big names

Dan Evans' long past with drink and drugs - he 'self-medicated' to deal with the misery of working at the Sunday Mirror - is being raked over now.

quote:

Fiona Hamilton ‏@Fhamiltontimes 42s
Evans says he was unhappy #hacking at Sunday Mittor. QC asks "why on earth" he moved to NoW if, as he alleges, they wanted him to hack

quote:

Jim Old ‏@SkyFixerJim 1m
Langdale suggests coming to the NotW gave his NotW recruiter the "green light" to use him as a hacker.
Evans: Yes, him and Mr Coulson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Dan Evans is tired and testy.

quote:

Andy Davies ‏@adavies4 3m
Dan Evans turns to stare at Andy Coulson in dock: 'Truth is Andy Coulson knew exactly what was going on, on his watch' [Coulson stares back]

quote:

Tom Symonds ‏@tomsymonds 6m
Evans: working at NoW - never ending stream of grief.. Andy Coulson absolutely knew what was going on on his watch.
#hacking

quote:

"What sense in that warped world..." Stop! says Saunders and re-asks the question about re-starting phone hacking.

quote:

Andy Davies ‏@adavies4 1m
LANGDALE: anything else you'd like to say about Mr Coulson?
EVANS: ..No.
[Coulson staring at Evans, nods, then looks back down at notes]

• Locked thread