Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

closeted republican posted:

What should I know before playing Metro: Last Light? I have all of the DLC.

The real answer is nothing.

Some freaks even turn the voice acting to russian, just to get the authentic experience of having no idea what the gently caress is going on. The important plot bits are subtitled anyway.

Okay, one thing. There are these filter things you use for your gas mask. Collect all you can. But if you happen to run out, you can remove the filter, run for a while, and then put it back just for a moment to catch a breath. Repeating this, you can cover a surprising amount of ground before dying. It's useful, if you saved your game in a bad spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Stock up on air filters for your gas mask when you get the chance to buy them. They're unbuyable for the back half of the game, and it's possible to get yourself into a situation where you don't have enough to complete your objectives.

e: beaten!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
How about Paper Sorcerer? I like the idea of playing it entirely blind, as the 1980s spirit of the game intends, but just in case it is one of those games that laughs at you because you picked the wrong thing on the first level and thus you cannot beat the game now, I feel the need to ask. Not that I know if anyone reading this thread plays those kinds of games.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Anything for Dungeon Siege 3 that's not already in the wiki? I'm mostly interested in the gunslinger woman character...Katarina, I think?

Use a controller, the game is geared more towards the quick movement twitch based gameplay. Standing still and taking hits will get you killed.

The party member who can change into the Human Torch has the most plot relevance, so if you include her you get a lot more of the story then without.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

If you want a bit of a challenge, keep the gamma levels on default. You're not really supposed to be able to see in dark areas without a light/night-vision, and the sneaking bits seem a bit less stupid when things are genuinely dark enough that you can justify the enemy not seeing things just a few meters away.

If you're trying to do the "don't kill any humans" achievement and you accidentally kill someone, quit the game. Restarting from a checkpoint will likely screw up the achievement.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Any hints for Dungeons of Dredmore? After splatting a few characters I'm on level 2 and it seems oddly easy so far.

An overview of the crafting system would be nice too. I see there are crafting skills, but they don't seem necessary for some recipes. Should I just hoover up everything I find and try to combine it later?

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
Any advice for XCOM: Enemy Within? I know there's a lot of information out there but I've not played Unknown so I don't know how much is strictly relevant. (I don't want to play Unknown first either, to preempt that suggestion.) So, if anyone could give me advice on Enemy Within as if I've never played either Within or Unknown that would be super.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

EddieDean posted:

Any advice for XCOM: Enemy Within? I know there's a lot of information out there but I've not played Unknown so I don't know how much is strictly relevant. (I don't want to play Unknown first either, to preempt that suggestion.) So, if anyone could give me advice on Enemy Within as if I've never played either Within or Unknown that would be super.

All advice for the base game still applies. Satellites are still ultra-important, considering you have even more stuff to spend your cash on.

You'll start picking up Meld from the first mission. Don't worry too much about losing a canister here and there. Generally you will find enough to keep you stocked by just playing normally and grabbing what you can safely.

You probably won't want more than 2 mech troopers, but you absolutely want mech troopes. They may look big and lumbering, but they can become some of your fastest and most powerful guys/girls.

Two of the storyline missions you get are especially tough and long. One is a base defense mission and the other, earlier, one sends you out to look for a missing team on a dock. Save at the start of each.

You will want to get the pistol upgrades from the Foundry for reasons that become quite apparent a few months in. So don't wait too long in building it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Anyone have some advice on Might & Magic X yet? Mainly what the strengths/weaknesses of the classes are?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

GhostBoy posted:

XCOM stuff

Additionally, the gene implant that grants invisibility when moving from cover to cover is hilariously useful when trying to grab Meld canister. Put it on an Assault class soldier to combine it with the ability that lets you shoot / interact with stuff after sprinting to run across half the map to a Meld canister and activate it at the end of your turn.

Also, don't cluster your units too closely together against Exalt troops. They have rocket launchers and grenades and make very liberal use of them.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
Thanks for the XCOM info, I appreciate it. Perhaps I was unclear though - since I haven't played Unknown, I also need advice on all the stuff in the base game, not just advice on the new stuff. Like... Are shotguns good? That's a bad example, but I'd like some real base-level information as to early builds, things to invest in (or not) at whatever time, advice on playstyles. Base game info (so long as it's relevant to Within) AND Within info. I know nothing.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

EddieDean posted:

Thanks for the XCOM info, I appreciate it. Perhaps I was unclear though - since I haven't played Unknown, I also need advice on all the stuff in the base game, not just advice on the new stuff. Like... Are shotguns good? That's a bad example, but I'd like some real base-level information as to early builds, things to invest in (or not) at whatever time, advice on playstyles. Base game info (so long as it's relevant to Within) AND Within info. I know nothing.

Invest heavily in satellites and their uplink facilities. Try to always have a spare satellite ready at the end of the month. If a country has 5 red bars on its panic level it will leave the XCOM project at the end of the month and deploying a satellite will immediately lower the panic by 3 bars (IIRC) so satellites serve as kind of a joker card that will prevent countries from hopping off. Don't do this when a country hits 5 red bars right away because you still might be able to get a mission in that country later that month, but if it's the end of the month, go ahead.

Strategically, you'll always be in a bit of a hassle in terms of what to spend your resources on. The most important things you'll want / need initially are satellites, laser and then plasma weapons and improved armor for your soldiers. You'll also want to get a mech and a mech soldier somewhere in between there and possibly gene upgrades and it's hard to find a good balance or an ideal path towards all that stuff (and there's plenty of other smaller, but still useful stuff to research / produce alongside that) but in general those are the things you'll really need to focus on.

All weapons are worth using, shotguns are really good if you use your Assault class aggressively. Side-arms are mostly important for Assault (when using shotguns) and Sniper classes, so once you get your hands on laser / plasma pistols and have a limited supply of them, these classes should be your priority for equipping them.

Grenades can be very handy initially and for rookie soldiers. They always do a guaranteed 3 damage which is enough to kill a Sectoid on normal difficulty and hence a good way for rookies to score kills and level up. Use them and your rocket launchers liberally. It's often better to make a guaranteed kill on a single enemy than trying to save your rockets / grenades until you run across a cluster of enemies only for your Heavy to die before he gets the chance to do it.

Produce medkits as early as possible and try to get a Support guy leveled up to grant him three uses with a single medkit ASAP.

Stunning enemies to capture them or capturing Meld is handy but not worth risking soldiers over unless they're rookies and therefore a bit more expendable.

Be careful when advancing. Do leapfrogging advancement, never sprint into the unknown and avoid exploring new areas with the your last unit at the end of a turn.

Use overwatch all the time, but do so mostly at the end of your turn. Sometimes it's useful to have a sniper in a good position on overwatch at the beginning of a round so they can shoot at exposed enemies when another unit of yours explores an unknown area and exposes the enemies, but usually you'll want to go on overwatch before you end your turn.

EDIT: \/\/\/ Yes, that's a very good point, if an enemy can see and engage one of your guys in cover it's either attack them or re-position, and if you can't do that, hunker down, but overwatch will just have them get shot at.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 27, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Burning Mustache posted:

Use overwatch all the time, but do so mostly at the end of your turn. Sometimes it's useful to have a sniper in a good position on overwatch at the beginning of a round so they can shoot at exposed enemies when another unit of yours explores an unknown area and exposes the enemies, but usually you'll want to go on overwatch before you end your turn.
Exception: Don't overwatch if the AI can see the Overwatching dude. They'll never move, and instead just shoot at him, which results in more casualties in the long run. In that situation, have the guy Hunker Down instead.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Leper Colon V posted:

Exception: Don't overwatch if the AI can see the Overwatching dude. They'll never move, and instead just shoot at him, which results in more casualties in the long run. In that situation, have the guy Hunker Down instead.

The OP of the XCOM thread links to a great post detailing how exactly to use overwatch properly.

In addition to all the advice, playing on normal vs classic is a huge difference, and you get develop bad habits on normal that will get you slaughtered in classic.

For going into the games fresh, play the tutorial, and progress through the game until you feel overwhelmed or too far behind the enemies in technology to do well. Start over with a new game and repeat. It'll take a few tries to get the game mechanics down but after a few games where I was losing countries and getting slaughtered constantly I finally got to the point where I was placing satellites to keep countries from leaving and getting laser weapons as early as I could.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

This is an absolute goldmine, exactly what I was after. Thanks.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Space Station 13:
Beginning players will find the Chaplain to be a stress-free starter job. As the chaplain, your bible is your most important tool, so to be helpful to other players, go to an area where lots of people are, put your bible down and stand in the tile it's in. Then, press CTRL + F to "find" important passages with ease.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anything about Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon I should know if I've already completed Far Cry 3?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Anyone have some advice on Might & Magic X yet? Mainly what the strengths/weaknesses of the classes are?

I don't have experience with all the classes, but I can give quick rundowns of the ones I'm using in my current party with how I'm using them.

Orc Barbarian: Hits things with big two-handed weapons, and can make things hit him. Kind of weak to start as he got blocked an awful lot, but now my MvP with GM Spears and Two-Handed. They only make so-so tanks without access to GM Warfare, but that hasn't hurt me.

Elf Bladedancer: Stabs with daggers or swords. Daggers start out weak (really, all the melee classes seem to) but take a huge jump at expert level when they start to attack twice for each dagger they're using. With GM Dual Wielding and GM Daggers, they attack 7 times per round-- 14 if they kill something with their first attack and are promoted. Squishy but can GM Evade for survivability.

Dwarf Runepriest: Nuker/healer. Can GM Fire, Earth, and Light magic, two of which give them access to great attack spells while the last gives some useful utility spells and healing. Can become amazing damage dealers or healers, depending on what you decide to focus on. Also the only class capable of GM Fire and the amazing AoE spell that comes with it. The downside is the same as the rest of the casters: They're very mana intensive. Expect to chug lots of potions and take many naps.

Elf Druid: GM Earth and Master Light make for a great combination for healing. Regeneration will carry you through the entire game when backed up by Celestial Armor, and the promoted classes Nourish is a big pulse heal for 4 rounds on the party member with the lowest HP. They can also GM water magic, which has a great damage reduction spell in Liquid Membrane. GM Mysticism means a deep mana pool as well, which helps offset how mana-hungry casters are. The downside is their limitation to Master Light magic, which means their non-Regeneration heals and Celestial Armor aren't as substantial as they could be.

Some more general advice:

-Secret doors can only be detected and interacted with if you have the Whispering Shadows spell active, or an appropriate hireling that will detect them for you. At the beginning of the game there's an NPC in the Church of Elrath that will join you as part of her quest that fulfills this function, but leaves after clearing the Den of Thieves dungeon. Recruit her before going down into the well, as there's a secret wall down there that you'll otherwise miss.

-To go with this, only the human magic class can learn Darkness spells. This means you're otherwise dependent on scrolls to get Whispering Shadows. Useful, but not absolutely necessary.

-You should be able to scrounge enough gold in Sorpigal-by-the-Sea to learn Cure Poison, if you have a class that knows Earth magic. I highly recommend learning it before going into the well, as the spiders there poison often and otherwise you're dependent on the antidotes they might or might not drop to cure it.

-Don't overly stress over skill points, but also don't spread yourself too thin. As long as you make sure to GM your weapon or spells of choice, which get dramatic boosts when you do so, you should be fine.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Any tips for GameDev Tycoon?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

RatHat posted:

Anything about Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon I should know if I've already completed Far Cry 3?

Press the melee button while not next to a target to throw up a middle finger. Mash the button repeatedly to alternate hands.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I picked up Resonance of Fate for £10 (between Nolan North hamming like a nutter, dress up fun and gun customisation I doubt I'll be that disappointed at that price) and haven't got around to starting it yet. Other than "go to the arena ASAP and do the tutorial or be confused forever" is there anything particularly worth knowing that isn't in the wiki page?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Dragonatrix posted:

I picked up Resonance of Fate for £10 (between Nolan North hamming like a nutter, dress up fun and gun customisation I doubt I'll be that disappointed at that price) and haven't got around to starting it yet. Other than "go to the arena ASAP and do the tutorial or be confused forever" is there anything particularly worth knowing that isn't in the wiki page?
1) Always do the special running attacks forever. Never do regular attacks unless you are forced to. You want to be setting up trinity attacks as much as humanly possible.

2) It doesn't have to work on a real gun to function. You can, and indeed probably should, have seven scopes attached eventually.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

1) Always do the special running attacks forever. Never do regular attacks unless you are forced to. You want to be setting up trinity attacks as much as humanly possible.

2) It doesn't have to work on a real gun to function. You can, and indeed probably should, have seven scopes attached eventually.

Only 7? Not trying hard enough.

Some more tips:
-While it's useful to switch weapons around your party to level up faster, high levels in a particular weapon mean the charge skills you get are more likely to activate. SMGs get a very useful ability to instantly fill scratch damage on body armour and at high levels it can really help with taking our bosses.

-When upgrading guns charge speed decreases the charge time of your first shot, charge acceleration determines how much faster each subsequent shot will charge.

-The arena near the starting city has a battle tutorial which is very helpful, combat is unique so it's nice to get used to it before it matters!

-You can only do a hero run attack/tri attack if you have a bezel left, and each action uses one. You get bezels back when you kill an enemy or break a piece of their armour. Also you can't be damaged while running, and regenerate scratch damage (blue damage) while doing a tri attack so you can use it to heal during hard fights.

-Handguns can gauge break, the enemies health bar will be split into parts each time you do it. Of you then damage them to that point you will get a bezel back. This is great for bosses and strong enemies, but pretty pointless for most battles. Gauge break also stuns the enemy for a while, so you can beat on them easier.

-SMGs do scratch damage, you have to use handguns or grenades to turn it into permenant damage.

-Grenades, especially elemental ones, are great against tough enemies. The elemental ones all add useful status effects. There are also special gasuge breaking grenades you can buy at the arena, they can be useful for tough enemies.

-You can jump with any character during a tri attack, just hit square before they shoot. You can use this to try attack through obstacles or enemies if you are quick.

-A lot of drops come from destroying the body armour before you destroy their main health bar. Killing an enemy directly or killing the leader reduces the drops you'll get (but is quicker so depends on your situation whether you should break all their armour or not)

-The side missions you get at the guild can only be completed during the current chapter. The game will prompt you when it's going to move to the next chapter, so if you want to finish them all don't move ahead.

-The arena is a good place to get a lot of components, but can be quite tedious. Do it in bursts, and you only need to do 3 fights in a rank to move onto the next rank.

-If you connect a terminal to a dungeon, the dungeon will get all the effects of the terminals.

-You need lots of coloured energy hexes to set up a decent terminal network so don't worry about them until later in the game. Exception: There's an ice theme dungeon early on that has an increase fire damage terminal near it. You should be able to activate it then and it really helps.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

For Metro Last Light if you take the time to explore the world, you should never really be hurting for filters. At least that was my experience.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dragonatrix posted:

Couple of extra tips:

-Don't go too crazy uncovering the map at the start. It is where you'll get most of your items for the first chapter or two, but you can easily leave yourself short on certain hex shapes if you go nuts. And since you can't place a hex unless all it's parts are inside the map, that can result in more waste.

-Grenades won't be plentiful for the first couple of chapters, so try and limit their use at the start. Special grenades will be best used on bosses, but once you have the ability to make or buy them, you can easily augment or replace a character's arsenal with them.

-There's an exploit you can use early on where you can buy a bunch of components cheap, make some sights, then sell them off for more money than you originally paid. You can easily make billions in less than an hour. The game's not too stingy with money, so there's no real need to do it, but on the other hand, new guns can cost a small fortune, so if you're going to do it, do it in moderation.

-Don't grind the Colosseum. It's tedious, it can take forever to do and you won't be in with a chance of getting anything more potent than ice cream for a long, long time. I'm not joking, it can kill your enthusiasm for the game quickly.

-Yes, you most likely will spend hours playing dressup with your characters and tinkering your guns to see how many scopes, mags and barrels you can fit on one firearm. This is entirely natural and, in the case of the latter, a vital gameplay element. Just know that you can move the gun about on the schematic. It can help you squeeze in an extra scope or two.

-And finally, you'll occasionally encounter some fights (mostly optional ones) that feel utterly unfair, resulting in you getting your poo poo wrecked repeatedly. Don't worry, it's not so much that you suck, more that some fights can be utterly luck-based unless you're overwhelmingly powerful. Feel free to skip those until right near the end of the chapter, you'll probably need the extra damage and weapon bonuses just to be on an even level with them.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
Yes sir, listening. No sir, no touching.

Dragonatrix posted:

I picked up Resonance of Fate

Your tri-attack can be interrupted if a character collides with something, and it's not always clear what/when your characters can slam into something and ruin a perfectly good attack run. Try to keep your running paths as open as possible.

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010
Does anybody have any advice for Armored Core V: Verdict Day?

I've played almost all of the armored core games before this one (except V) and it seems a whole lot different to the others, especially in regards to weapon defenses.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
I've stumbled my way through about half of Metro: 2033 and is there supposed to be some trick to fighting humans? I'm at the communist camp and I'm hopelessly outgunned. Is it really supposed to be this hard? Fighting monsters is okay, but fighting guys with guns just doesn't feel right. Stealth seems clunky, and direct combat results in me getting killed in a matter of seconds. If I try taking cover, enemies have excellent accuracy despite long range, and sooner or later one will flank my cover or just throw a grenade to make me move.

I usually don't suck this bad at FPS games, and something about the combat just feels wrong.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

OilSlick posted:

I've stumbled my way through about half of Metro: 2033 and is there supposed to be some trick to fighting humans? I'm at the communist camp and I'm hopelessly outgunned. Is it really supposed to be this hard? Fighting monsters is okay, but fighting guys with guns just doesn't feel right. Stealth seems clunky, and direct combat results in me getting killed in a matter of seconds. If I try taking cover, enemies have excellent accuracy despite long range, and sooner or later one will flank my cover or just throw a grenade to make me move.

I usually don't suck this bad at FPS games, and something about the combat just feels wrong.
Just... follow your watch. Does it indicate that you're in a dark area? Then you probably won't be detected someone literally stumbles into you. If you're sticking to dark areas (rather than / in addition to cover) some distance away from them, enemies will have a hard time figuring out where you're shooting from even if a firefight breaks out. If you need to kill someone silently, a thrown knife to the crotch area is a sure thing, while a headshot may work out poorly (bounce off the helmet / goggles / whatever). Once you kill a few guys, you're no longer outgunned by definition.

In general, you want to be a bit proactive in fight - if you don't flank people and act aggressive, the enemy will eventually do the same to you.

The "communist camp" (the bridge, right? You're not trying to fight in the one sequence where you're supposed to run away?) has a specific stealth route - wait in the darkness for the commissar to finish his speech (you can slip past with a bit of luck, but you're having trouble with stealth) and follow his group as they head down. As you follow them, you'll pass an execution - listen, and you'll be told how to proceed without charging across the bridge (which is fairly difficult and unnecessary)

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Yeah, that's the one. Thanks for the advice, it feels like I should be using stealth but the game does not feel like it handles stealth well, so I figured I had to fight them head on.

I didn't know shots to the crotch were more effective than headshots. I'll try to think like a 12 year old more often :)

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Any tips for Blackguards? It seems like half the time I hit, the monster recoils, but no damage is done and the combat log says "hit". I'm at the first town and in the Crypt, where it looks like I have to fight 2 back to back fights and the second one my guys are out of mana and half dead.

I also don't recall a tutorial explaining what the slider under all the weapon talents means.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 31, 2014

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Elendil004 posted:

I also don't recall a tutorial explaining what the slider under all the weapon talents means.
I can't help you with Blackguards specifically (haven't played it), but it sounds like you're running into trouble with the TDE game system in general.

Those sliders determine offensive or defensive specializing. So you can setup a character who's really good at hitting people with a zweihander but has great difficulty parrying an incoming blow (e.g. a berserker). Or a fencer who specializes in rapiers but focuses on defense (his attack rolls will be lousy, but he might be able to deal damage with his active abilities instead of auto-attacks). Maybe your party will have a mix of melee attackers and defenders, or just a few melee defenders who keep the enemy busy while the archers and mages do damage. By default, I expect that the game will allocate points evenly between attack and defense. Try specializing a few weapon skills* and see whether your results improve. The pen-and-paper game actually applies a bias to many weapon types (e.g. a rapier is naturally suitable for parrying while a battle-axe is not); I don't know whether this was included in Blackguards. If you stick with standard tropes then you shouldn't run into too many surprises.

* In other TDE games you were forced to make the attack/parry point allocation during levelup and couldn't reassign them later. If Blackguards allows on-the-fly respec then "great!", if not then you might need to start a new campaign with lessons learned.

If your attacks are hitting but doing zero damage then you may need to reconsider your character builds. Bigger weapons tend to hit harder, but statistics are also relevant (Strength, Courage, etc). If you've deployed a whole squad of dagger-wielding intellectuals then you might need to start over. If you've been spreading your talent points too thinly across the spectrum then the same problem arises - maybe you'll need to start over and specialize each character in just one or two weapon types rather than trying to master them all (hint: you'll never have enough points to do that).

Another possibility is that the game failed to explain its leveling system. In previous titles you would gain adventure points (AP) gradually, which could be used to improve skills and weapon specialization "between" the actual level-up moments. Perhaps the game feels too difficult because you have a large stockpile of character-improvement credit waiting to be spent.

Finally: armor rating. These are "soak" values - they don't help to deflect blows; they simply subtract a flat amount from any incoming damage. I remember that it was most relevant when fighting humanoid opponents in previous games (a full plate wearer could shrug off many auto-attacks and I had to hope for critical hits or use armor-bypassing active skills); the previous games tended to balance monsters by giving them 0 armor rating but lots of HP. Maybe Blackguards has tried to increase consistency in its combat encounters, by giving significant armor values to its monsters. Or maybe they've implemented D&D-style damage resistances (e.g. need blunt damage against skeletons?).

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
Bought Kingdoms of Amalur because of the weekend sale and the wiki entry is a bit barebones - anything that it doesn't cover that I'd be well off knowing? Also, it mentions a bug where Adrenaline Surge will damage you rather than heal you at low health, has that been fixed by chance?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Heavy Lobster posted:

Bought Kingdoms of Amalur because of the weekend sale and the wiki entry is a bit barebones - anything that it doesn't cover that I'd be well off knowing? Also, it mentions a bug where Adrenaline Surge will damage you rather than heal you at low health, has that been fixed by chance?

- You can make very powerful equipment by crafting it, but you don't really need to (and in my opinion, shouldn't). The crafted equipment looks pretty lame on your character compared to the stuff you can find, and the game is already easy enough that you don't need to min/max. Plus you get the thrill of finding cool new stuff and can use the skill points somewhere else.
- Do just as many side quests as you find fun and interesting, don't feel like you need to do them all. There are tons and its easy to burn out. If you do all the side quests you'll be hopelessly overlevelled anyway and as mentioned the game is already fairly easy.
- No idea about the bug but I highly doubt it's fixed, seeing as how the developer was kaput not long after the game came out. What little you can do to fix the game is listed on the pc gaming wiki, though its pretty much just stuff like skipping intro screens and fiddling with FOV.
- I personally really enjoyed playing a rogue type character but its easy to re-spec and try different builds. You're not locked into anything and there is a fair amount of flexibility.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Heavy Lobster posted:

Don't try and minmax your way through the game. It can get pretty tedious and you can shatter the challenge without even trying. Do screw around and dick about as much as you want once the game opens up though. I remember most of the supplementary stuff being more fun than the main quest.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

EddieDean posted:

This is an absolute goldmine, exactly what I was after. Thanks.

A few more tips for you.

Don't be stingy with your consumables! Despite what you may think, they don't actually get used up. If you have, say, one grenade, you can bring that same grenade and use it in every mission. And believe me, you are going to need those grenades early on, because while Rookies can't shoot for poo poo, grenades are always pinpoint accurate and absolutely reliable.

SHIVS are astonishingly good! Don't write them off as useless before you try them! If nothing else, they make for great scouts into dangerous areas, because if they die you're not out a valuable promoted solider.

Assaults are your frontline beasts, they can cover huge amounts of ground and deal massive damage at close range, enough to one-shot anything but the heaviest of tanks. Just don't get too aggressive with them, that's a recipe for revealing a new enemy pack and leaving your Assault blowing in the wind.

Supports do exactly what it sounds like. They're your medics, and if you're expecting a lot of incoming fire, don't forget those smoke grenades.

Snipers do exactly what you would expect, but are dead weight until they get their promotion for Snap Shot/Squadsight. Either of those can result in a murderous engine of death, but need to be used in different ways.

Heavies are...interesting. DON'T send them charging headlong into the enemy, because that will just get them killed. As a general rule, Heavies should move last, because if things go awry during the rest of your turn, a Heavy's rocket launcher is your backup plan.

MECs are kinda like Heavies, only more so. They can take a lot of punishment, but they're not invincible, so don't let them take more hits than they have to. They excel at what I call "frontline support" - removing cover to set up shots for the rest of the team, lobbing grenades around to soften enemies up for the kill, setting up proximity mine traps and so - rather than getting kills themselves, but they're also very good at delivering massive punishment when needed. The AI will generally prioritise attacking them over your other troops because of the higher hit chance, so you can use them to draw fire from more vulnerable units, but make sure to back them up or they will go down fast.

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any hints for Dungeons of Dredmore? After splatting a few characters I'm on level 2 and it seems oddly easy so far.

An overview of the crafting system would be nice too. I see there are crafting skills, but they don't seem necessary for some recipes. Should I just hoover up everything I find and try to combine it later?

I'm not an expert, but a few things I remember:

Crafting: You're going to want at least one crafting skill, probably not more than two. Which ones depends on the character type. Recipes don't change, even secret ones, so you can hold on to things you'll need for good recipes that you ay not have found yet. Don't forget to make extensive use of the pocket dimension as storage.

Alchemy is potions and some higher-level mage gear. Take it if you're a magic-user. I don't usually use them, so I can't say much more, sorry.

Tinkering is primarily traps(not much use) and bows, but also some of the best armour and weapons. It takes a couple of levels to be much use though, and is quite resource-hungry. Take it for archer/rogue characters, but it's also useful for tanky fighters. It's worth noting that goggles, while equipped, give a free level of tinkering, and are necessary for the highest-level recipes, which require more skill than you can naturally have.

Smithing is armour and melee weapons. Pretty good to have, even as a second skill for mages, as you can make half-decent mage robes, and they still need weapons early on. Usefulness tops out at about level 8 or 9.

As far as difficulty goes, I seem to recall floor 5 and maybe 7 being fairly harsh difficulty spikes, so you might want to watch out for that.

And if you come across cold-resistant gear, hold on to it, even if you have better stuff. You'll know when to put it on.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Fruits of the sea posted:

In addition to what the above guy said, you want at least one skill that gives trap disarming (looks kinda like a jagged orange circle). You can get it from blacksmithing, tinkering, burglary, perception, archaeology, and a couple others IIRC.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

OilSlick posted:

I didn't know shots to the crotch were more effective than headshots. I'll try to think like a 12 year old more often :)
Knives, specifically. They're one-hit kills unless they bounce off of something. Bullets aren't quite that effective.

Also, something about both stealth and firefights - turn off or shoot out lights around yourself to sneak around / make it harder for the enemy to hit you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Hey guys, repicked up Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings after a while of not playing so everything in my mind is kind of a blank. What are some good things to know? Also do i need to keep a recipe on me to make the potion/bomb/whatever i'm making or can i just put it in storage once i've memorized it?