Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SpacePig posted:

I watched 2 shows on Fox On Demand, and literally every commercial was for that new show Rake. Every goddamn one. They've convinced me to not watch the show at all.

I've been watching stuff on Hulu and, while I've seen those Rake commercials, the one's I mostly see are for their British programming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Cyril Sneer posted:

I have this weird fingernails-on-chalkboard type reaction whenever I hear shows with obtuse names. House, Rake, Breaking Bad . Ughgghghghg.

House is the dude's name and Breaking Bad is literally the plot of the show so I'm not sure what you're getting at?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Don't ever watch USA or listen to NPR. The kitschy-ness of the program names is enough to cause an aneurysm.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
what is the deal with that name of that show i obviously haven't watched UGH

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Vicas posted:

House is the dude's name and Breaking Bad is literally the plot of the show so I'm not sure what you're getting at?

They're extremely contrived. Have you ever met anyone named House or Rake?

Would the show ever work with a name like Stevens or McNichol? No, because they have to use contrived "cool" sounding names.

Breaking Bad...what? Habbits? Finish the drat sentence.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Cyril Sneer posted:

Would the show ever work with a name like Stevens or McNichol? No, because they have to use contrived "cool" sounding names.

Breaking Bad...what? Habbits? Finish the drat sentence.

Are you literally retarded, or just acting like it?

House is his name because it's a play on Sherlock Holmes (House/Home...they both solve mysterious and are geniuses...get it?)

Breaking Bad is an actual turn of phrase in the American Southwest to indicate someone turning away from a regular life to a life of crime.
"Oh, Jimmy? Yeah, he's breaking bad, man. Just up and started selling coke."

And Rake isn't the guy's name, it's an ACTUAL SLANG WORD about someone with seedy morals often doing unscrupulous things for money (like the lawyer who's the subject of the show.)

Unless they also made his name Rake...then yeah, that's dumb.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It's funny how the creator of Breaking Bad thought that the phrase was well known all across the country. Then he found out noone knew what the gently caress it meant.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

House is his name because it's a play on Sherlock Holmes (House/Home...they both solve mysterious and are geniuses...get it?)

Breaking Bad is an actual turn of phrase in the American Southwest to indicate someone turning away from a regular life to a life of crime.

And Rake isn't the guy's name, it's an ACTUAL SLANG WORD about someone with seedy morals often doing unscrupulous things for money (like the lawyer who's the subject of the show.)

It's more than that. I forgot what exactly what it was because it's often used with the word "cad", which means the same thing...

Wikipedia posted:

A rake, short for rakehell, is a historic term applied to a man who is habituated to immoral conduct, frequently a heartless womaniser. Often a rake was a prodigal who wasted his (usually inherited) fortune on gambling, wine, women and song, incurring lavish debts in the process. The rake was also frequently a man who seduced a young woman and impregnated her before leaving, often to her social or financial ruin.

The Restoration rake was a carefree, witty, sexually irresistible aristocrat whose heyday was during the English Restoration period (1660–1688) at the court of Charles II. They were typified by the "Merry gang" of courtiers, who included as prominent members the Earl of Rochester; George Villiers, 2nd Duke of Buckingham; and the Earl of Dorset, who combined riotous living with intellectual pursuits and patronage of the arts. At this time the rake featured as a stock character in Restoration comedy.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't know if it's actually common in the American southwest. The creator of the show chose it because it was common in the part of Virginia where he was raised. He didn't realize it was kind of a regional term until the show came out. He talks about it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG4RjfL2jmg

And yeah, "rake" is a fairly accepted term, although not too common in everyday language which is probably why nobody seems to know what the hell it means.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The only time I've ever heard someone use "rake" as "immoral" is when I saw this Jeopardy clip.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

The only time I've ever heard someone use "rake" as "immoral" is when I saw this Jeopardy clip.

The only time I've seen it was in a screenshot of some weirdo's dating profile where he used it to describe himself (to mean he was a "bad boy" I guess). I guess the name comes from the original Australian version of the show, but I have a feeling a lot of people are just going to be really confused and think it's named after a gardening tool.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Cyril Sneer posted:

Yeah, actually, I knew a girl in high school whose last name was House. I wonder if she got sick of people referencing the show when it went on the air.

Kimmalah posted:

The only time I've seen it was in a screenshot of some weirdo's dating profile where he used it to describe himself (to mean he was a "bad boy" I guess). I guess the name comes from the original Australian version of the show, but I have a feeling a lot of people are just going to be really confused and think it's named after a gardening tool.

Well, "raking it in" is a common phrase for "getting a lot of money / desirable things" so I figured it was just related to that, since isn't the guy in the show a corrupt businessman or something?

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 28, 2014

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"Rake" is also slang for a sexual deviant, and the impression I get from the commercials is that the lawyer is into some pretty kinky sexual poo poo.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

raditts posted:

Yeah, actually, I knew a girl in high school whose last name was House. I wonder if she got sick of people referencing the show when it went on the air.

Well, "raking it in" is a common phrase for "getting a lot of money / desirable things" so I figured it was just related to that, since isn't the guy in the show a corrupt businessman or something?

Well I'm just going off summaries here but I'm thinking they're going for the "morally questionable guy" definition of Rake, since it doesn't sound like the character is rich. He's a lawyer with kind of a sketchy personal and professional life and is in fact in serious debt.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I didn't know it was possible to not know what a rake was, unless you are literally a ten year old.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Sash! posted:

I didn't know it was possible to not know what a rake was, unless you are literally a ten year old.

Never underestimate how much the American education system can fail. :v:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Sash! posted:

Jeopardy king Ken Jennings sure didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoPFkjF-Bdo

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Sash! posted:

What man-children, not knowing the rarely-used definition of a word that is commonly used to refer to something else! Haw haw!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I love late night advertising. Who wants some dump cakes and dump dinners?

(Pour in diet soda for less calories! :v: )

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Y-Hat posted:

Jeopardy king Ken Jennings sure didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoPFkjF-Bdo

He knew what he was doing.

Look at his sly little smile after saying it, and the fact that he had over $14,000 and both his opponents were below $0. He said it knowing it was almost certainly not the correct answer, but was the funniest answer.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

He knew what he was doing.

Look at his sly little smile after saying it, and the fact that he had over $14,000 and both his opponents were below $0. He said it knowing it was almost certainly not the correct answer, but was the funniest answer.

It was a correct answer, just not the correct answer they were looking for.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwt1rHo1P_M

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy hell :lol:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Yeah we're pretty much out of time, let's just go with that take

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

No really the mini stroke in the middle of the commercial is endearing

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

It's not an incredibly long or complex commercial or anything. Why wouldn't they just do that one over?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

vyst posted:

No really the mini stroke in the middle of the commercial is endearing

Maybe he was thinking of that recent Van Damme stunt he did for Volvo?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It's like Vince Offer got plastic surgery to look even MORE like Michael Shannon's bastard child:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpRaEDOu6fA

Thsi is an actual commercial that is currently airing on television. A woman is cleaning period blood out of her panties over a sink in this commercial. Vince even makes reference to his penchant for whores with the "I've done dirtier things than this" line.

Amazing.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 31, 2014

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gonz posted:

It's like Vince Offer got plastic surgery to look even MORE like Michael Shannon's bastard child:

I can't loving stop seeing this. He does look like Michael Shannon.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Even clean behind the toilet cause sometimes ya miss!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Young Freud posted:

I can't loving stop seeing this. He does look like Michael Shannon.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Gonz posted:

This is an actual commercial that is currently airing on television. A woman is cleaning period blood out of her panties over a sink in this commercial. Vince even makes reference to his penchant for whores with the "I've done dirtier things than this" line.

Amazing.

Yeah, Vince loves the Innuendo. The Schticky commercial has a treasure trove of innuendo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAQjF5RPgbg

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Kimmalah posted:

I love late night advertising. Who wants some dump cakes and dump dinners?

(Pour in diet soda for less calories! :v: )

God help me, I want to just do this now...

But I wouldn't you have to use a non-Nutrasweet diet cola? I thought Aspartame would turn really bitter if cooked.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Gonz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpRaEDOu6fA

Thsi is an actual commercial that is currently airing on television. A woman is cleaning period blood out of her panties over a sink in this commercial. Vince even makes reference to his penchant for whores with the "I've done dirtier things than this" line.

Amazing.

Dear God, the dude looks like he had a stroke. Possibly multiple strokes.

And I thought you were exaggerating with that period blood thing, but... :stare:

The "penchant for whores" thing doesn't surprise me though, he made a reference to his hooker-punching arrest in the commercial for whatever he was hocking prior to this.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
There's a new commercial now for Fiber One that is a bad parody of "Total Eclipse of the Heart." It seems clunky and not well done at all. I hate that commercial so much.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf1aZtyHC7k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q-Qq9Xa1lc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0uLlKS42D4

This camerawork and effect totally does not make me want to punch the producers in the face. Not headache inducing one bit.

Nope. Quite pleasant to watch. (the music is wonderfully relaxing as well)

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

raditts posted:

Dear God, the dude looks like he had a stroke. Possibly multiple strokes.

And I thought you were exaggerating with that period blood thing, but... :stare:

The "penchant for whores" thing doesn't surprise me though, he made a reference to his hooker-punching arrest in the commercial for whatever he was hocking prior to this.

I think he did actually have a stroke that paralyzed his face. That's why he wears that headset.

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013
That guy's had a rough life.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I actually like this commercial, but the YouTube comments seem to pan it :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un6kN5lmFnQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Max22 posted:

I actually like this commercial, but the YouTube comments seem to pan it :shobon:

I think one's personal enjoyment of it probably depends on your tolerance level to tweeness. :v:
For the record I think it's cute as well.