Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

:siren: :pcgaming: It's out! :pcgaming: :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDrxOASUog

Those who have already purchased the game may elect to redeem a steam key here. The DRM free version is still available however.

Those who wish to purchase the game on steam may do so here.

If you're new to the game and finding the storyteller is just trying to kill you, or if you want to play it indefinitely, give this a read.

Hieronymous Alloy has written a pretty comprehensive guide to many aspects of the game here.

If you want to know what mods to use, turn the workshop to "most subscribed" and "most popular in last 3 months" and pick things you like the look of. Nearly everything is cross compatible and it depends entirely on what sort of experience you want to have.

Rimworld is a game I've been playing a fair bit of since the pre-alpha came out, and it's a pretty neat game.

The premise is that your three colonists have had their ship spontaneously explode, catapulting them away in escape pods, leading them to crash-land on an uncharted rim-world. You don't know what you'll find there, but chances are it won't be friendly. Your colonists have to survive, and thrive, on this new world, because you ain't getting back home any time soon.

The Official Trailer

The game plays sort of like a 2d dwarf fortress, but features a real-time combat engine more akin to what you'd expect in an x-com game. Your colonists (and enemies) will lean around corners, hide behind rocks and sandbags, and generally try to avoid getting shot.

Your opposition is twofold, the planet itself is not especially forgiving, you need food, and shelter, if you are to survive. The food situation is somewhat aided by your colonist's access to space-age technology, your primary food source is the nutrient paste dispenser, capable of turning any amount of vegetable matter into barely-edible yet perfectly nutritious goop. This reliance on technology, however, presents its own challenges, as your colony needs a constant supply of power to do much more than look pretty.

The game features a day and night cycle, as well as random events to mix up the environmental challenge, as well as an extremely well-detailed mood system. Your colonists react more to your colony design in this game than in any other I have played. Even things like how tidy an area is, how cramped it is, how dark it is, how much greenery and decoration there is, all have an effect on how happy your colonists are.

The game also pits you against human enemies, pirate raiders will attempt to raid your colony with a wide variety of weapons, the AI's cover-seeking habits and ability to employ some nasty weapons against you, make your choice of base layout surprisingly complicated. Pirates can, however, be a useful thing, as you can capture attackers and attempt to convince them to join your colony. Pirate raids will be your primary source of weapons and new colony members, spare weapons can be sold to passing trade-ships, and the money you make can buy more resources or better quality weapons.

The whole experience is driven by an AI director, of sorts, which controls what enemies spawn an what events happen. You can select several different ones to give the game a different feel, this was recently expanded in alpha 10 with more options to customise the kind of game you will get. The game is currently available from the Ludeon Studios website and Steam. If you like colony-management games and real-time-tactics games, this game is a very promising mix of the two. The game is still early access but has more than enough features, in my opinion, to make it a fun game, and a lot of mods available to expand the gameplay further.

Here are some things that goons have been saying about the game:

Mister Bates posted:

I've never skinned or cannibalized people and I try to recruit every person I capture instead of harvesting their organs, I feel like I'm playing the game wrong.

I do, however, strip the corpses of attacking enemies naked and then leave them to rot and their bones to bleach in the sun. Unless they're in areas my colonists will go regularly, those get cremated. Enemies attacking my otherwise pleasant and idyllic frontier village are greeted by hundreds of human skeletons surrounding it.

Leif. posted:

I used to punch my raging prisoners who went on mental break; now I just step a bit away from them (since they can't keep up, due to being restrained) and shoot them. Most of the time, it works great, and is a ton faster. And if it's an accidental headshot, well, that guy deserved it anyway.

Inacio posted:

The storyteller is getting increasingly pissed at my long-lasting fortress now. Had a loving drone ship crash into my trade stockpile, literally inside my base, then had 30+ pirates attack (only to get absolutely mowed down by my shitton of turrets), and finally had every loving animal on the map get pissed. I honestly think there were more than a hundred. The turrets couldn't keep up with it, the animals broke my door down, entered the mountain, and started flooding the hallways. I managed to kill them (thanks, Dominik, based cyborg), but had to call it a day.

Bhodi posted:

At first I was annoyed that harvesting organs required a medkit since prisoners were a waste of supplies. Then I realized that the kits were being used to keep the ORGANS healthy, not the prisoners, and all was right with the world.

I'm not a monster, it's called being practical.

Drunk in Space posted:

Braindamaged colonists are the saddest thing in this game. I have one puttering around sweeping dirt and still eating her dinner when everyone else is in bed. I thought giving her bionic legs might help make up the difference, but the consiciousness hit still gives a massive speed penalty. I hope you'll have the option to implant robo-brains or whatever in future.

Dunno-Lars posted:

Read the entire thread, and I have been irritating myself over all you ineffective organ harvesters. You can remove the stomach as well, they will just starve to death. If you have the extended surgery mod (you should), you can cut off two arms, two legs, a kidney, a lung, a stomach and then a optional organ. If you have a slave trader ready, you can skip the optional organ and sell the stomachless starving prisoner instead. At 150 per part, you can get 1200 out of a prisoner. And you can make clothes to sell of the skin. Either make food out of the flesh, or put it in a remote stockpile. Not sure if animals will eat it though.

If that sounds like your sort of thing, come join us, won't you?

You may also wish to read the update logs, to get a feel for how the game has developed since this thread was posted, they will probably give you a better feel for the progress than I can, they are located here: 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Useful Links:

Website

Steam Page

Useful post about selecting a storyteller, I highly advise reading it if you're wanting to play an endless colony simulator instead of a race to build a spaceship.

An in-depth explanation of how the game handles temperature and heat transfer between areas.

Video Spotlight by SA's Illectro

Kickstarter Page 1000% funding :psyduck:

Steam Greenlight Page

Goons scare me, sometimes.

Geokinesis posted:

I think these links should go in the OP with them being all official things:

Rimworld Universe Quick Primer - A short overview on the Rimworld Universe.
Longsleep Revival Briefing - A bit more in-depth fluff.
Bug List - Lists all the confirmed bugs and their status.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEJ6QymV7-o

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any talk of going to Steam/greenlight/whatever?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Any talk of going to Steam?

Hmm, not sure, let me check.

Edit: Yep: It's been greenlit: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=183032873 I'll add it to the OP.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'll instabuy when it gets to Steam in any particular form.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
I really hope their borrowing the entire art style almost verbatim from Prison Architect is a temporary thing.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

dvorak posted:

I really hope their borrowing the entire art style almost verbatim from Prison Architect is a temporary thing.

Did you uhh

Did you read the OP?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

dvorak posted:

It is, it's a placeholder for the proper art. It'll probably look fairly prison architecty still, but it shouldn't look like an exact ripoff forever.

Though that said, I do like the art, it makes it surprisingly clear what's going on, just as it does in prison architect.

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

I have no idea how to play Dwarf Fortress or Gnomoria, but i'll probably still +1 my STEAM account with this at some point.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

I have no idea how to play Dwarf Fortress or Gnomoria, but i'll probably still +1 my STEAM account with this at some point.

This is much, much simpler than DF, or even Gnomoria. I only really describe it as dwarf fortress because it hits most of the major notes, but with much more understandable systems than dwarf fortress.

You build stuff with unified 'metal' which comes from a single 'ore' and your colonists eat 'food'. That's the extent of your resource management, but it gives you a similar overall experience. Mine for resources to build stuff, grow food to feed your colonists, just without all the fiddlyness of DF.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Played it, liked it. The framework for a pretty fun game is there, just needs more content. But for an alpha build with temporary art/sounds and barebones stuff to do it's pretty fun.

Those raiders, man. I built a line of sandbags with walls here and there to get behind when injured badly. Lined with 5-7 turrets, too. Had five colonists, 1 M16 and 4 pump shotguns. They held the line for a while but every couple days I got attacked by a large party of raiders with equipment that got better and better. They killed me eventually.

Then I started a game with the peaceful builder random event thing to explore the research options and stuff. Too bad I found out the blasting charges can be used as mines after that first colony fell.

A night well spent, I'd say. Looking forward to see where it will go from here.

I like the combat system in that I can actually give specific orders and they'll be followed, I can have people taking cover and stuff instead of just running into combat wildly like dwarves do.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

I like the combat system in that I can actually give specific orders and they'll be followed, I can have people taking cover and stuff instead of just running into combat wildly like dwarves do.

That's probably the biggest deviation from, and my biggest preference over DF, it's nice to have an actual tactical game where DF has a cat-herding simulator.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I backed this one at the $20 level when it was on Kickstarter after seeing this awesome first 15 minutes of gameplay video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBp-kl7xL-4&hd=1

Went and backed immediately afterwards because it looked amazing. I've been purposefully avoiding any new information since it ended with that absurdly high total because I can hardly stand the wait already. I'm a sucker for good stories, and this game seems almost tailor made to make fantastic stories about the life and success / failure of each and every colony. I also really am interested in how he approaches his "stretch modules"; it's a concept I like a lot for preventing bloat from excess funding promises.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alpha 1 has just been released for Rimworld. Changes include a proper stockpiling system, a character art overhaul, a dynamic tutorial system when playing the game, and part of the modding system which seems to have consumed a lot of the time between this and the last update.

http://ludeon.com/blog/2014/01/alpha-1-released/

If you're a developery sort, some dev tools were also released with the mod system, so you can start modding in dong guns that shoot dragon dildos.

According to the comments it will be available to colonist-level backers in a day or two, so those of you who paid for the $20 package should be getting it soon. I would imagine you should get an email with the sendowl links when that is available to you.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 28, 2014

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

So, how does everyone build their base? Digging into the rock, or building separate buildings? Are there different advantages?

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

canepazzo posted:

So, how does everyone build their base? Digging into the rock, or building separate buildings? Are there different advantages?

I usually build free-standing buildings. Apparently your colonists aren't dwarves, and stone walls aren't pretty. Although, carving a fortress out of the hillside would make for easy defense. I try to have rock on as many sides as possible, but the geyser god is a fickle mistress.

E: what size housing do you guys use? I tried 4x4 apartments, and still got "this place is too cramped" thoughts.

Royal W fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 1, 2014

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Royal W posted:

what size housing do you guys use? I tried 4x4 apartments, and still got "this place is too cramped" thoughts.

This is a wonderful question that I would like to see answered as well

Also are there any tricks to defense besides make a line of sandbags and shove a ton of sentry guns everywhere? I seem to run into the issue of being able to handle raiders just fine for a bit, then I can't rebuild my sentries fast enough to take care of the next batch of raiders.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

This is a wonderful question that I would like to see answered as well

Also are there any tricks to defense besides make a line of sandbags and shove a ton of sentry guns everywhere? I seem to run into the issue of being able to handle raiders just fine for a bit, then I can't rebuild my sentries fast enough to take care of the next batch of raiders.

What makes sense to me is a long corrider with walls on either side and 2-3 turrets at the end, no cover, just a long slog through Omaha Beach.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I generally dig into the mountain for most of the base, because raiders won't try to demolish rock to get at you, they will burn down walls.

Housing I generally don't bother about crampedness, as when the colonist is sleeping they don't care very much about their surroundings, only whether it's indoors and whether it's shared.

Designing the cover around your base is important, and in that respect mountain bases are sometimes better, as you can control the enemy's access and funnel them all together.

Generally I would advise against using sentries, they die very quickly, aren't very accurate, and cost a lot to replace. Also they take out anything nearby when they explode. What you generally want is colonists in good cover, it works a lot better.

The game needs more options for walls and stuff, regular walls are a bit fragile, it'd be neat if we could have reinforced concrete or something that was much tougher/non flammable, maybe without a power conduit in it as a balancer.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 1, 2014

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

So what exactly is good cover? More than just a single line of sandbags to hide behind, I take it?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

So what exactly is good cover? More than just a single line of sandbags to hide behind, I take it?

One sandbag wall is fine.

I quite like the game, I went for a lower kickstarter tier so I only got it recently. It needs more stuff to do but it's very entertaining and there's some great potential in it. Power could use an overhaul though, I'd like to be able to install switches that lets me isolate parts of the grid and maybe have lamps stay off unless there's someone in the room.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Royal W posted:

I usually build free-standing buildings. Apparently your colonists aren't dwarves, and stone walls aren't pretty. Although, carving a fortress out of the hillside would make for easy defense. I try to have rock on as many sides as possible, but the geyser god is a fickle mistress.

E: what size housing do you guys use? I tried 4x4 apartments, and still got "this place is too cramped" thoughts.

On the official forums, word is that colonists require 27 squares of free space, so you need 6x5 (assuming 1 bed and 1 light). It seems pretty excessive, it'll likely be tweaked in future versions.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

oxford_town posted:

On the official forums, word is that colonists require 27 squares of free space, so you need 6x5 (assuming 1 bed and 1 light). It seems pretty excessive, it'll likely be tweaked in future versions.

That is an awful large space, I just fired up the game to see how big and was quite surprised. I would think 13 squares of free space (so a 4x4 with a bed+lamp) would be ok, but whatever.

I backed this at the higher tier, $35 I think? I've been toying around with it for a while and I really like the direction the game is going. It's a much tighter and more controlled DF, which is a good thing in my opinion.

When it comes to housing I tend to try to build free-standing structures for everything. If I get far enough along I'll generally try to wall in my settlement, and as has been mentioned I tend to not rely on the Sentry guns. Instead, I'll use a couple lines of sandbags and get some of my colonists to be my army. Usually 2-3 high shooting colonists armed with pistols are enough to carry you through the early game, and if you can get your hands on a rifle you are golden for a while.

benloran
Aug 26, 2009

I haven't played this in a couple months (though I'll definitely be playing more soon), but after reading the official forums back then, I was under the impression that the spacing of items in colonist's rooms also contributed to cramped quarters. So I would make 6x6 rooms and make sure nothing was touching anything else or any walls. Big open rooms with a bed, a lamp, and a potted plant, sitting in the middle but not touching. I don't know if that was really necessary, though it did help prevent fires from spreading through the rooms a little bit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

In the latest version, if you select a colonist and hover over a target, it'll give you a list of the modifiers. Ideal cover as far as I know is a full height wall to hide behind, and a sandbag or something half-height next to it to cover your lower body when peeking out. Also the enemy should be in a straight line between your dude, the wall, and the enemy.

The angle the enemy is at affects cover effectiveness, the closer they are to flanking your colonist the less effective the cover is, also the light level you're shooting into matters a lot. You can give everyone in a night fight a big buff by switching off the lights near your colonists... Because obviously the enemy can't see your guys if they're in the dark, so they get a big penalty to hit, if the enemy is standing in the light however, your guys can shoot just fine. It's really in-depth and surprisingly sensible, basically if you do most of what you'd do naturally, even if you think it wouldn't actually be modeled in game, it will probably help.

Demiurge4 posted:

Power could use an overhaul though, I'd like to be able to install switches that lets me isolate parts of the grid and maybe have lamps stay off unless there's someone in the room.

This too, a power management system with running presets would be nice because you'll run out a lot trying to run everything at once.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 3, 2014

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
Yeah, the power management system could use some love. I really like the idea of solar collectors and batteries, but since you have to manually control all electronic appliances it's a bit of a pain in the rear end to use them. The idea of having some presets that we could toggle between seems to be a good stop-gap measure. Imagine, a day/night/combat/all-on/all-off toggle that could be programmable.

On the topic of cover during night, I never really thought about that. I guess I'll have to build some lights into my outer walls. I would like some more fortification options at some point in time, something like stone walls that would not carry a current but be pretty hard to take down. Would allow us to build open settlements and defend them realistically. As it is there is really no reason to not build in a natural cut in the mountain, preferably hemming in 3 sides.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All the systems in the game have so much that could be done with them. Different construction options, more lighting options, more in-depth power control mechanics, more happy/afraid options, more stuff buried in the mountain and ways to find stuff. Lots of stuff, really. I'd personally like directed floodlights (and possibly searchlights which track enemies?) as well as walls with lights built in, also mounted weapons to replace turrets, and maybe your wall suggestion as well as concrete bunker fronts which work like wall cover you can shoot over, but not move over, maybe with an ugliness penalty?

The game's got so much you can use to balance things because you have to balance so many different systems to make the colony work, really looking forward to the mods and core game mechanics being expanded.

As it stands yes, there really isn't much reason not to build in a valley, it'd be handy to have more big outdoor things that remain useful later in the game. The solar collectors do a good job of making the outside valuable, but more valuable but optional things you can do with big open spaces would be nice.

Edit: For those of you who don't read the official forums, and are curious about the game's development, Ty, the fella making the game, often posts some quite interesting info on what he thinks would be good ideas for the game.

http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=1

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 4, 2014

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I found a spot that was outside but enclosed entirely by rock, I put all my solar collectors in that little spot it was great.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I picked this up last night and ended up playing until really late. The main thing that surprised me was that the tactical simulation showed that there was some decent depth behind it. Just the simple feedback on your guys aiming and shots hitting cover was a lot more than I was expecting from what I initially assumed was just a Prison Architect rip off.

The game needs a lot of work, but it is already fun. I can see myself enjoying building little outdoorsy forts to defend. I don't like mining into the rock too much as it seems to make things too easy.

Needs a lot more feedback on colonist moods and how to make them happy, but I hope all that is coming soon.

Game is pretty atmospheric, I lose my first successful settlement because I built a little power room backed up to my colonists housing. I filled it with batteries for my solar panels to charge and didn't put a door on it, this mean the room had no roof. Shortly after topping out on stored power a rainstorm happened. One of my colonists got struck by lightning and set on fire, and while I was dealing with that the batteries all short circuited in the rain and exploded, taking out most of my living quarters. Then the raiders attacked. Because I no longer had the batteries my sentry guns had no power and the raiders were able to finish off my injured, burining settlers with impunity.

Good fun.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
This game is really annoying. It's got a robust and fun framework but there's just so little content at present. I want to keep playing it but I feel like I've completely exhausted it after 6 hours. I really need to stay away from early access alphas.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

This game is really annoying. It's got a robust and fun framework but there's just so little content at present. I want to keep playing it but I feel like I've completely exhausted it after 6 hours. I really need to stay away from early access alphas.

Well it's got plenty of money to spend developing content....

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008
I'm playing with the Randy Random storyteller and he really likes sending huge rear end human waves of raiders with pistols backed by a couple dudes with sniper rifles and other not-crappy guns at me. Against a bunch of M-16s and M-24s this should be a massacre (and mostly is) but a dozen raiders with pistols put out a pretty huge volume of fire so I lose a couple guys in each raid. I'm about to just give up and go to the peaceful storyteller so I can build a nice settlement that does not have to continuously fight for its life with all hands and have huge a dumping pile with scores and scores of raider corpses in it. Though all the trash weapons I don't need makes a pretty good source of trading silver.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pornographic Memory posted:

I'm playing with the Randy Random storyteller and he really likes sending huge rear end human waves of raiders with pistols backed by a couple dudes with sniper rifles and other not-crappy guns at me. Against a bunch of M-16s and M-24s this should be a massacre (and mostly is) but a dozen raiders with pistols put out a pretty huge volume of fire so I lose a couple guys in each raid. I'm about to just give up and go to the peaceful storyteller so I can build a nice settlement that does not have to continuously fight for its life with all hands and have huge a dumping pile with scores and scores of raider corpses in it. Though all the trash weapons I don't need makes a pretty good source of trading silver.

Randy Random is hella unbalanced, it's basically not designed to give any shits about pacing.

Frankly even chill callie classic will eventually turn into a pretty murderous slaughter after a short while, playing with enemies at all is almost more about how long you last, not how good your colony is.

Though that said, try using blasting charges, grenades, fire, and cover mechanics and you should be able to handle a large volume of enemies. It helps to give them some crappy cover to hide behind. If they can't find any and don't feel they can compete in a ranged fight, they'll probably charge you and basically try to beat you up. Giving them a few scraps of cover within easy grenade range will probably make them easier to fight.

Also if you're having trouble with bodies, make a big stockpile or mass grave, and then set it on fire with a molotov. Alternatively shove them all into gibbets and use them to keep your colony 'happy'.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

Frankly even chill callie classic will eventually turn into a pretty murderous slaughter after a short while, playing with enemies at all is almost more about how long you last, not how good your colony is.

Yeah, at the end of a mature and rich colony I was getting waves of 40+ snipers and grenadiers at a time.

There just isn't any endgame except "withstand the human waves" right now.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

The more I play this, DF, Spacebase, Gnomoria, the more I wish there was a Wild West version - imagine playing "Dwarf Fortress: Deadwood"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah this game is a lot of fun but I'm really not liking how after my 100th day with 6 survivors the game just kinda goes "well you've been at this too long I guess it's time for you to lose" and then I just get nonstop waves of raiders, with almost no breaks in between. Getting three raider waves in a row, before my colonists are done nursing their wounds from the last, is just plain frustrating, and ultimately when I get a fourth right after I just quit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

Yeah this game is a lot of fun but I'm really not liking how after my 100th day with 6 survivors the game just kinda goes "well you've been at this too long I guess it's time for you to lose" and then I just get nonstop waves of raiders, with almost no breaks in between. Getting three raider waves in a row, before my colonists are done nursing their wounds from the last, is just plain frustrating, and ultimately when I get a fourth right after I just quit.

I think it's an issue with the alpha 1 version because I never had that problem in the prerelease version, hopefully they patch it out because it does make playing what is ultimately quite a long term game, a little disheartening.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

I think it's an issue with the alpha 1 version because I never had that problem in the prerelease version, hopefully they patch it out because it does make playing what is ultimately quite a long term game, a little disheartening.

I don't think it's a bug. This is the intended behavior of the AI if you choose a non-peaceful story progression mode. It's just that right now there isn't anything left to do but throw huge mobs of raiders at you once you've got your colony established.

I think that the director chooses events based on certain factors - how much money you have, weapons maybe, current pop and how long it's been since you've lost a colonist, how you did against the last raiders, etc. Once you're digging out rooms to store huge piles of silver and potatos and destroying small raider groups then the AI is going to pick the Huge Raid option every time, because what else could challenge you?

This is why I play with the random AI, because the only other options are no raiders at all and steadily increasing huge groups.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Once you're digging out rooms to store huge piles of silver and potatos and destroying small raider groups then the AI is going to pick the Huge Raid option every time, because what else could challenge you?

Just a single wave, usually, as it turns out! Mostly because I'm making GBS threads potatoes out of my ears from having 1 dedicated farmer work 4 farms, and I'm just selling potatoes and weapons to passing ships every chance I get, but neither of those things actually increases my fighting ability one bit! The only conceivable thing I could do to improve my chances against raiders is build sentry guns and walls, but the raiders come so often that I just don't have time to build anything. I'm fine with the raiders coming in huge waves but they really need to be spaced out more than they already are, I basically just have enough time between waves to harvest the farm and rebuild my cover.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I love this game, and it's not even close to being finished yet. I could never get into Dwarf Fortress because I like graphics and a UI that doesn't require the use of punch cards, but this game is (hopefully) on its way to filling that insane niche for me. I've been having a blast, even though it still lacks much content. A couple of things:

-Without mods, recruiting seems to be hard capped at 10 colonists. You can't deal with slavers, you can't capture prisoners, and you don't get any wanderer events if you have 10 colonists. I currently have a colony with 9 colonists and 3 prisoners, and I'll see if I can recruit them all or not. I've heard people mention getting more before, but I think they were discussing earlier builds.

E: Apparently, you can get up to 50 colonists playing with the Random Randy AI, but otherwise I believe the above holds true.

-DON'T BUILD TURRETS- I believe that raider attacks scale with your fixed defenses, specifically turrets. I haven't noticed explosive charges having the same effect, and they're WAY more effective at dealing damage. Two mines (as I think of them) deployed in close proximity can wipe out everyone in the blast radius, which can be an entire small raid or a significant chunk of a large raid. Given how flimsy turrets are, and their potential to backfire on you (explode and murk your guys), I greatly prefer mines. (Also, mines cost 35 metal, as opposed to 160 for turrets.)

-Early on, it can be best to attack the raiders rather than let them come to you. Sometimes I just send out a single/few colonists with long range weapons to harass them, but you can also lay up somewhere and ambush them if your base isn't well designed for defense yet.

-Fear is better than happiness. Research Improved Fear Techniques (or whatever) and fill a bunch of gibbets with bodies in a highly trafficked area.

-Research benches don't require power, and can be built outside with no issues. The tech tree can be torn through in a few days, but I usually get the techs for mines, hydroponics, and fear first.

-Hydroponic farming is much more efficient than outdoor farming, but it has the downside of going "offline" during solar flares due to the lights shutting down. If you've built a little store of cooked food (which is easy to do with hydroponics) this isn't a problem.

In terms of constructing defenses, I think I can best explain with a screenshot. If you look closely, you can see my mines in the kill zone, and leading up to the entrance. Putting rock debris along your walls and leaving an opening draws raiders exactly where you want them, like moths to a flame. (The debris might not be necessary due to the hole, but I'm not sure.) The sandbag/wall defenses I've set up are probably not optimal, both in construction and distance to the entrance.

(Note, this game started severely lagging my computer, due to my accumulated riches. It is not even close to optimized yet. For reference, I have a brand new mid-range gaming computer.)

E: I guess I read about it elsewhere, but there's also a strategy called "the waffle" which involves placing a big block of sandbags at your choke-point to slow the enemies. I tried it, but felt like it provided them with too much cover, so I've just been haphazardly tossing some debris there instead.

Nut to Butt fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

Just a single wave, usually, as it turns out! Mostly because I'm making GBS threads potatoes out of my ears from having 1 dedicated farmer work 4 farms, and I'm just selling potatoes and weapons to passing ships every chance I get, but neither of those things actually increases my fighting ability one bit! The only conceivable thing I could do to improve my chances against raiders is build sentry guns and walls, but the raiders come so often that I just don't have time to build anything. I'm fine with the raiders coming in huge waves but they really need to be spaced out more than they already are, I basically just have enough time between waves to harvest the farm and rebuild my cover.

Kinda this. Your fighting ability is primarily based on 1. how many colonists you have, and 2. what guns you have to give them. 3. terrain, also comes into account but once you pick your terrain you're kinda stuck with it.

Colonists need time to recover between waves, one is a challenge, two sequentially is kind of untenable because of how the game works, your colony is almost one big hospital to help your colonists recover between raids.

I think that's why they're adding mortars, to give you different types of challenge, rather than zerging you the raiders will sit outside and bomb you until you come and sort them out.

Drink Cheerwine posted:

In terms of constructing defenses, I think I can best explain with a screenshot. If you look closely, you can see my mines in the kill zone, and leading up to the entrance. Putting rock debris along your walls and leaving an opening draws raiders exactly where you want them, like moths to a flame. (The debris might not be necessary due to the hole, but I'm not sure.) The sandbag/wall defenses I've set up are probably not optimal, both in construction and distance to the entrance.

E: I guess I read about it elsewhere, but there's also a strategy called "the waffle" which involves placing a big block of sandbags at your choke-point to slow the enemies. I tried it, but felt like it provided them with too much cover, so I've just been haphazardly tossing some debris there instead.

One small thing, complete the wall just near the sandbags so that it roofs over that area, then don't put any lights in. Being in the darkness will give your colonists like -20% to being shot.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 7, 2014