Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I've had good luck at Fritti, and they have their own free valet service for parking, or at least they did last month. Sitting at the bar there is best, I think - it's a smaller, much quieter area than the main dining room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Rodney Scott, of Scott’s Bar-B-Q in Hemingway, South Carolina, is doing whole hog BBQ today at Gunshow to raise funds to rebuild his burned down pit house. I'm super excited.

http://www.southernfoodways.org/film/cut-chop-cook/
http://journal.billyreid.com/post/73624051805/rodney-scott
http://thefatbackcollective.tumblr.com/

e: I ate a bunch of pork skins and I think I sat next to Bill Addison.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 20, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I finally tried kimball house and don't know what to think. the oysters were (of course) amazing. the wine list was good. the food sounded good in theory, but all the dishes we had pretty much across the board were just confusing and forgettable.

a 'crispy confit duck' that you'd expect to be an excellent roasted skin on leg was basically a intensely salty corned duck breast that had been (???) tempura fried?? (whyyyyy do you need to do this, when a cripsy confit'd skin on piece of duck is already maybe the greatest thing ever) with some one note veg and quinoa. complete lack of acid in the dish to counterbalance the salt - and all the elements just seemed overthought to the point of not really working together. ditto for a dish of roasted sunchokes with some lardo and mushrooms. all the elements individually tasted great, but it was a giant pile of one-note mush when put altogether.

my gal had some chicken sausage which she said suffered from the same problems, and some shaves brussles which also just looked and tasted a bit muddled/confused.

it was really frustrating because all the food was technically really well executed - you could tell the kitchen knew how to cook very very well - just nothing really came together for us, for our gigantic $150 bill.

anyways, not ready to issue a verdict, I'll give it another try. just surprising given how much everyone we know likes it.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I was there last night with my parents. My dad had the duck and loved it, but my mom said the veggies she had with her trout were a bit underdone and too crunchy (Sweet potatoes and radishes iirc). I had the sole, which was fantastic, but the veggies with it were just a tad off. My mom just mentioned it in passing to the server and they comped her dish, and gave her a creme brulee.

It was the first time I had eaten there (I usually just go there for cocktails).

Matt was super nice about the whole thing with my mom, and I will definitely be going back.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
I really think if you go to Kimball House and don't at least order a couple cocktails, you are doing yourself a disservice.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

WaterIsPoison posted:

I really think if you go to Kimball House and don't at least order a couple cocktails, you are doing yourself a disservice.

yeah, we got cocktails, they were good - nothing better than any other flouncey place in town though really

I have to say, the service was very good. we got told there was a wait, which was fine, and once we posted up at a standing table near the bar, someone came over to take our order and give us water within a minute. unexpected, and nice. our table waiter was great too.

just the food though...

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
So I went back to Raku on Marietta St the other day and had the Spicy Tonkotsu Ramen and it was pretty good and tasty. Especially after crushing three fresh garlic cloves over it. They actually give you a garlic press and three garlic cloves. I still wish they had fried pork like their original restaurant, but I guess they wanted to be primarily a ramen place.

Also, my son ordered unadon, which should be grilled eel on a bowl of rice, but it came out on a large square plate next to a sad salad with italian dressing on it. The bowl is actually important, as it's hard to eat rice off of a plate with chopsticks without the sides of the bowl to help you lift it up. Anyway, just an odd thing I noticed. The actual unagi was not bad, but my son made me remove the salad from his plate(he's only 4), because the odd italian dressing kept seeping into his rice.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Anyone try this new burger place over on Defoors and Collier? https://www.facebook.com/ssamburger

Looks like it's an asian fusion burger place with kimchee burgers.

Here's their menu:

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

AgentHaiTo posted:

Anyone try this new burger place over on Defoors and Collier? https://www.facebook.com/ssamburger

Looks like it's an asian fusion burger place with kimchee burgers.

Here's their menu:

If I recall correctly, I have read some good things on blogs and/or Twitter from ATL food people I read.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ate at takorea tonight - anyone have any opinions on that place?

it was packed which got me hopeful, and the banchan we had were all good - but the rest of the food pretty eh. some dry breastmeat fried chicken tacos, a slightly better beef based taco that was inexplicably also dry. a ho-hum food-court-esque bibimbap with some shrimp, some queso dip with gochujang in it......

dunno. wasn't terrible, and wasn't very expensive, I just wasn't feeling the inspiration. felt pretty corporate, safe, and boring. like if chipolte had korean flavors. which I guess is probably what they are going for.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

mindphlux posted:

it was packed which got me hopeful, and the banchan we had were all good - but the rest of the food pretty eh. some dry breastmeat fried chicken tacos, a slightly better beef based taco that was inexplicably also dry. a ho-hum food-court-esque bibimbap with some shrimp, some queso dip with gochujang in it......

dunno. wasn't terrible, and wasn't very expensive, I just wasn't feeling the inspiration. felt pretty corporate, safe, and boring. like if chipolte had korean flavors. which I guess is probably what they are going for.

I've had similar experiences going there for dinner, but at lunchtime/off hours the food is usually much better. I also haven't been there in at least six months though, so I don't know if that has changed.

kontona
May 3, 2003

AgentHaiTo posted:

Ssam Burger

i was planning on checking out this place today. a couple of people said it was pretty great, and i am kind of glad that more places like this are opening up close to me.

MiddleFinger
Jul 12, 2008

mindphlux posted:

goin to abattoir tonight, first time since hector took over. :ohdear:

Really curious to hear how this went.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

mindphlux posted:

I usually go there for lunch since it around the corner from my office. I think the chicken is quite bland, but the pork belly and calamari are quite good. The fish is hit or miss, but their bbq pork is really good.

I usually go for the shrimp, calamari, and sometimes the veggie one. The bimbimbap is the same as the one at Hankook, but 3 bucks more and not the greatest I have had.

They used to do a daily noodle special that was always different, and 9 times out of 10, absolutely delicious. I think they changed a lot of stuff to try and get more non-adventurous diners in.

Still, two dollar tacos on Tuesdays is a steal.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

mindphlux posted:

Would just rather just go to Hankook. Takorea is like their corporate spinoff basically, so I doubt it's anywhere near as good. I haven't been to Takorea myself, but it makes more sense to drive to Hankook imo.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I went to Kimball House tonight and had a pretty good experience.

I sat at the bar and the woman behind the bar kindly made me a few mocktails (since I don't drink) which were very good. I had a dozen assorted oysters, which were really good, with Caper's Blades and Island Creek being my favorites. I then had the smoked short rib with baby carrots and mushrooms in jus, and I thought it was very well executed. The dish also came with a side of celery root bread pudding, which I loved. (I wish savory bread puddings would turn into a dining trend in the future.)

My only complaint was that it took probably 25+ minutes between ordering the short rib and its arrival.

I know the place gets packed, so I showed up at 5pm and got a seat right away. By 5:30, the place was roughly two thirds full. By 6pm they were basically at seating capacity. And at 6:30pm it was jam packed and hard to even move around. So if you want a table, be there by 6pm.

I would certainly go back there again, but I'm not dying to go back there right away.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I talked to a restaurant friend whose food opinions I put much faith in. She said she has been to Kimball House three times with varying degrees of success. One time the food was excellent, one time was good, but not great, and one time everything was poor. So it seems they're not entirely consistent over there when it comes to the non-oysters food.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

MiddleFinger posted:

Really curious to hear how this went.

it was good. a while ago now, so I can't remember exactly everything that happened. I think I might have posted a followup in the thread a couple days later?

I remember having a bunch of grilled chicken hearts, which were very, very good. but, on the other hand, they were a bunch of grilled chicken hearts, so after like 10 of them I started to get a bit bleh on the grilled chicken heats. Overall though, I remember our meal as being pretty good.

the noise problem remains - I guess they just don't think there's a problem, but that space is so so loud.

I have Hector on facebook, and he posts a lot of updates on his new dishes, and they all look good. I'd definitely give it a go. But, I haven't had any urge to go back since I went, so I guess that speaks for itself.

venutolo posted:

I talked to a restaurant friend whose food opinions I put much faith in. She said she has been to Kimball House three times with varying degrees of success. One time the food was excellent, one time was good, but not great, and one time everything was poor. So it seems they're not entirely consistent over there when it comes to the non-oysters food.

yeah, I could believe this, given my experience. I'm going there tuesday with a friend - for oysters only - but at least will give them another go.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Should we organize another ATL goon food eat up? I'll throw out BBQ at Community Q or Saturday brunch at One Eared Stag as suggestions I could organize. For those that don't eat meat, Community Q has a really good salad, so it wouldn't necessarily exclude non-carnivores.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

venutolo posted:

Should we organize another ATL goon food eat up? I'll throw out BBQ at Community Q or Saturday brunch at One Eared Stag as suggestions I could organize. For those that don't eat meat, Community Q has a really good salad, so it wouldn't necessarily exclude non-carnivores.

I could do a Sunday brunch somewhere, but a Community Q night sounds good.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

venutolo posted:

It's been open less than 6 months so I think some inconsistency can be forgiven. Some of the food definitely comes off as too try hard, but overall I've been pleased with it every time I've gone.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

My son and I went to SSAM Burger for lunch and we loved it. I had the Kimcheese Burger with sweet potatos and he had the Bulgogi Rice Bowl.

The wait was a bit long but it was right at 12 so I expected it. It looks like in the kitchen they are still figuring out the ordering process. Although there was a good amount of people, it wasn't packed full, but the staff kept getting confused about whose food was where and what was next. And they kept alternating between asking people to pick up at the counter and bringing it to other customers, so there was a little confusion between them and the customers.

Other than that, the food was great. Even without the kimchi, the burgers are really tasty and moist, with nice fresh buns. What I liked was the burgers were not these giant things loaded with a million toppings that you cannot fit in your mouth. They are fairly simple and just taste good. The bulgogi was good, and my 4 year old devoured the beef, but left the lettuce part for me(also the lettuce was spicy). The lettuce was great, just like one of those sides you get at Korean BBQ. And the bowl was a good size. We had to bring the rest back as leftovers. The sweet potatoes were nice too, and came out piping hot.

I will definately be returning with co-workers as I think it's a perfect lunch place. I actually like this place better than Hankook, just because it's simpler and to me, the ingredients seem to be better quality. I'm just wondering what other Korean fusion food will come out next. Is there Korean Italian?

I know in Johns Creek, I swear I saw a Korean pizza place.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

I went to Daddy D'z BBQ this weekend and I was really, really disappointed. I was hoping for some good BBQ, but what I had was not BBQ. The brisket tasted like pot roast with some BBQ sauce on top. And the pork was not that great either. The sides were pretty lackluster, too. The potato salad and coleslaw were both heavy on the mayo and oversauced. It was just a really bad experience overall. I should just stick to Community Q or Fox Bros :(

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Sadly, I can't remember the last time Daddy D'z was recommended by anyone.
I took a few BBQ fans to DBA on Sunday and everyone agreed the order of wings we split were the best they'd had in Atlanta. Smoked then fried, they're tasty and plump.
I can't say the same for their pulled pork. It was fine, but not mindblowing. Maybe it's a per-pig thing. I still love their creamed corn, and I don't love any creamed corn.

Kimball House has been stellar twice for cocktails and oysters; the food itself hasn't been anything special for me. Lukewarm and bland for the price despite being things I wouldn't think to order elsewhere.

Sun In My Belly's eggs benedict with chipotle hollandaise over roasted sweet potatoes and greens is so drat yummy. Spicy and sweet. Please tell me about good breakfast things you've had recently that aren't at The General Muir.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

kuskus posted:

Sun In My Belly's eggs benedict with chipotle hollandaise over roasted sweet potatoes and greens is so drat yummy. Spicy and sweet. Please tell me about good breakfast things you've had recently that aren't at The General Muir.

Folk Southern Fried and Southern Comfort at Folk Art. Chef's Breakfast and biscuits and gravy at One Eared Stag. Chicken Biscuit at Chick-fil-A.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Comfy chicken at Homegrown is really good

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

kuskus posted:

I took a few BBQ fans to DBA on Sunday and everyone agreed the order of wings we split were the best they'd had in Atlanta. Smoked then fried, they're tasty and plump.
I can't say the same for their pulled pork. It was fine, but not mindblowing. Maybe it's a per-pig thing. I still love their creamed corn, and I don't love any creamed corn.

Kimball House has been stellar twice for cocktails and oysters; the food itself hasn't been anything special for me. Lukewarm and bland for the price despite being things I wouldn't think to order elsewhere.

I've been to DBA a couple of times and always been pleased with the food. I'd agree that what I had (pulled pork and shredded chicken) was solidly above-average, but nothing spectacular. I'll be there tonight and will be sure to try the wings, though.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

So a couple weekends ago, my wife and some of her friends and I hit up Antico and we really liked it. We're originally from NJ and haven't been able to find really good pizza in the area, and this place finally delivered. I forget the names they had for them, but we got one with artichokes and other veggies, and another one with lots of meat. Both were awesome. Their cannolis are also pretty good, too.

There was a line outside about 20 deep but it moved reasonably quickly - we were inside after maybe 10 minutes.

My wife is a very picky Italian woman and she really liked their pizza. She liked it so much that I went back the next day and got her a large white cheese pizza (her favorite kind). I went on a Wednesday night and it was much emptier but still busy.

Oh, and she ate the whole goddamn pizza by herself in a day. :drat:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kuskus posted:

The thing to get at Daddy D'z is the rib tips. Anything else is a waste of time.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
The Que Wraps at Daddy D'z are terrible but amazing at the same time.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I went to daddy D'z once about 9 years ago. that was enough.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Actually no, I take it back. My favorite part of Daddy D'z is the ceiling fan that's been chopped so that it doesn't hit the wall, but is unbalanced to the point where it still hits the wall.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
So... next goon dining gathering at Daddy D'z then?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

You guys keep listing the things that make Daddy D'z great. BBQ is a poor, dirty, sinful food and should be served in an environment of filth and good ol protestant shame.

I agree their brisket sucks, though. Pulled pork or rib tips are the way to go.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Community Q is the best BBQ in the city and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise. :colbert:

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Community Q is the best BBQ in the city and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise. :colbert:

It's really good, though I personally prefer the meat at Fox Bros. However, the sides are much better at Community Q, in my opinion. I also like dining in at Community Q much better since it's order at the counter style - much more preferred for BBQ than a sit down restaurant.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

jooky posted:

Comfy chicken at Homegrown is really good

I had this today. It was good. I would have preferred a greater ratio of biscuit to chicken and some crispness to the outside of the biscuits, but nevertheless rather enjoyed it.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Picked up some BBQ from The Greater Good BBQ, which opened up recently on Roswell Rd near the Fellini's and La Fonda combo. Parking was a bit limited, but inside they have seating for about 20-30 people. For a Friday night, it was not very crowded so I was able to get my order quite quickly. No bar/alcohol is served currently, so it's BYOB.

Food was hit and miss. I got a two meat/two side combo plate for $15. They had a special chopped rib, so I ordered that and the sliced brisket. The special was clearly the better of the two, spicy and rich. Brisket however was disappointing, dry and really needing a healthy dose of sauce when served. Sides were acceptable, with the mac and cheese being surprisingly good.

I'll probably go again to try out some other selections and see if the brisket was a fluke. Also, it's really close to my place so convenience is a big plus.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I really like Wisteria. I hadn't been there until last weekend. I loved what I had last weekend and went again yesterday night. I also got comped drinks and a pork belly appetizer. This has been your venutolo food update of the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

I really like Wisteria. I hadn't been there until last weekend. I loved what I had last weekend and went again yesterday night. I also got comped drinks and a pork belly appetizer. This has been your venutolo food update of the weekend.

food is good, I've been maybe 5 times now? my main complaints are it's a bit loud, a bit pricey, and the menu doesn't really change as far as I can tell. but again, good food.

edit unrelated : gently caress ford fry

this is my new atlanta-dining-scene mantra.