Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Oh, and he isn't holding the glowing turd gemheart. That's a big improvement too.

Poking around a bit, the Brazilian Mistborn Cover looks pretty kickass as well. I hope they have Marc Simonetti do the Brazilian covers for every one of Sanderson's brazillion books.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
That cover is magical. It's one of those things that make me want to keep my desktop organized if only so I can stare at it :allears:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Hopeford posted:

That cover is magical. It's one of those things that make me want to keep my desktop organized if only so I can stare at it :allears:

I've had that inner cover chart of the Orders as my desktop for like two years now. It's beautiful :swoon:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Is the UK cover available yet? I really like the aesthetic of Sanderson's UK editions, and I wanna see the next one!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

thespaceinvader posted:

Is the UK cover available yet? I really like the aesthetic of Sanderson's UK editions, and I wanna see the next one!

You mean the white ones? All my Sandersons are like that. I love how they fit together on the shelf. :allears:

cap601
Feb 16, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Here you go

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I'm so ready for WoR because there's a >90% chance the Szeth - Kaladin showdown is going to happen, be awesome, and I can't decide if Dalinar will make it through or not.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Democratic Pirate posted:

I'm so ready for WoR because there's a >90% chance the Szeth - Kaladin showdown is going to happen, be awesome, and I can't decide if Dalinar will make it through or not.

I'm betting Dalinar makes it through because Sanderson has been trying to write the guy since he was sixteen years old, and two novels just isn't enough

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
As nice as it is to get access to these early chapters I've never really paced myself with Sanderson books so the wait is getting to be a little maddening. The man is an expert at plotting and drawing the readers attention. Admittedly this is a very effective sales tactic.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
The new cover is way better. The old version of Kaladin looked like a gay American Indian in a civil war reenactor's union dresscoat.

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!
I'm going to echo that the UK covers are still the best. I got a box set of the Mistborn shipped over and they are my favorites by far.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The UK cover looks like David Lynch's Dune mixed with medieval armor but still somehow bad.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Tunicate posted:

I'm betting Dalinar makes it through because Sanderson has been trying to write the guy since he was sixteen years old, and two novels just isn't enough

Ah, I didn't know that. Well then I guess some of the current Bridge crew members are about to get cut down since there's no way that fight ends without some important casualties.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Democratic Pirate posted:

I think Dalinar will make it, but I wouldn't sell Adolin any life insurance if I were you.

Although that may not happen for another few books yet. Gotta get the Kaladin/Shallan/Adolin love triangle revved up first.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think Dalinar will make it, but I wouldn't sell Adolin any life insurance if I were you.

Although that may not happen for another few books yet. Gotta get the Kaladin/Shallan/Adolin love triangle revved up first.

Szeth will probably commit suicide or make some kind of other last-minute face turn. The dude is going crazier and crazier, and isn't holding his Shinese beliefs sacred anymore. His oath to do whatever his master says just because he's holding a special rock is a pretty hard-to-justify belief, especially considering his punishment is to be responsible for all the bad things he does, but have no ability to stop doing them. Kaladin is pretty badass, but he's not going to be a match for Szeth. Then again, maybe Jasnah or Shallan will just soulcast Szeth into a fart on the wind right as he's about to win.

I doubt Szeth's climactic fight will be him and someone else swinging weapons and surge binding at each other, is all I'm saying. It's not an interesting climax to see which imaginary fighter is better. And he really can't win, because if he does, he kills all of the other POV characters.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm guessing that Szeth runs out of stormlight. He'll be facing a buncha other surgebinders, and as far as I can tell he kinda sucks at holding in stormlight compared to them.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Or Renarin shows up in shardplate and saves the day at the expense of his legs, allowing him to be the wheelchaired knowledge dude every group story needs.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Nope, Renarin has Knight Radiant printed on his format

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The UK cover looks like David Lynch's Dune mixed with medieval armor but still somehow bad.

Have to say, I concur that the WoR UK cover isn't as good as most of them. It's gotten less stylised, more realistic, less... flowing. It's good, but it's not great.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I take back what I said about Powder Mage being bad in this thread. Turns out it's just got a crappy first chapter. On chapter 9 now and it's written at least as well as Sanderson prose, with equal amounts of action.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Tunicate posted:

I'm guessing that Szeth runs out of stormlight. He'll be facing a buncha other surgebinders, and as far as I can tell he kinda sucks at holding in stormlight compared to them.

He's the most experienced combat trained Surgebinder on site aside from Jasnah I think, but might be hindered by not being empowered by the Oaths, and almost certainly not having fought other Surgebinders before.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

veekie posted:

He's the most experienced combat trained Surgebinder on site aside from Jasnah I think, but might be hindered by not being empowered by the Oaths, and almost certainly not having fought other Surgebinders before.

I'm picturing more a big sucking sound, and him suddenly falling to the ground

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

veekie posted:

I know we're just speculating here, but Szeth is being "controlled" by an oathstone. He may or may not have been empowered by the Radiants' Oaths, but he's definitely done something strange to get where he is, and oaths probably somehow factor in.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Nope, Renarin has Knight Radiant printed on his format

I'm pretty convinced Renarin is going to be a major character in the series, that's why I think Adolin is doomed. The Kaladin/Adolin parallel if Adolin's weakling little brother gets shanked while Adolin is helpless is so obvious that it's got to be a red herring.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm pretty convinced Renarin is going to be a major character in the series, that's why I think Adolin is doomed. The Kaladin/Adolin parallel if Adolin's weakling little brother gets shanked while Adolin is helpless is so obvious that it's got to be a red herring.

I'm kind of hoping that Adolin doesn't die because he's one of my favorite characters with his love for dueling, but it would make sense if he died. I think watching him interact with Kaladin could be really interesting, especially if he ever finds out what Amaram did. Hopefully he makes it through a few books before he dies. I mean it's going to be a ten book series, I think most of the book 1 cast has got a few books on them before they die. Then again, if every one of the ten books is a thousand pages long, Sanderson has more than enough space to introduce and kill off a hundred characters.

Is there any info on whether Renarin is getting a viewpoint chapter for Words of Radiance? I kind of want to see things from his perspective.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Infinite Karma posted:

I know we're just speculating here, but Szeth is being "controlled" by an oathstone. He may or may not have been empowered by the Radiants' Oaths, but he's definitely done something strange to get where he is, and oaths probably somehow factor in.

Gut feeling, Kaladin needs to awaken to the Second Ideal to beat Szeth.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Infinite Karma posted:

I was under the impression that the entire oathstone thing is just a weird custom the Shin have for people that do something Really Bad. He's not actually compelled to be bound by the oathstone, he chooses to be bound by it.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Ithaqua posted:

I was under the impression that the entire oathstone thing is just a weird custom the Shin have for people that do something Really Bad. He's not actually compelled to be bound by the oathstone, he chooses to be bound by it.

I got the same impression - the Shin view stones as sacred to the point were even walking on one is blasphemous. The oathstone is just a simple rock, but creted/used by a people who view rock as sacred. Though Szeth seems to be coming to terms with the fact that his people's beliefs don't really hold up in a world where rocks cover everything.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Weekly Drug Fix in form of new WoR chapters!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

BananaNutkins posted:

I take back what I said about Powder Mage being bad in this thread. Turns out it's just got a crappy first chapter. On chapter 9 now and it's written at least as well as Sanderson prose, with equal amounts of action.

Yeah, its not high fiction, but it is well written enough and a unique enough magic system

ShadowGlass
Nov 13, 2012

New preview chapters are up. Chapters Ten, Twelve, Fourteen, and Interlude I-1.

And my theory above have been confirmed:

Venli didn’t flinch. “The humans have Surgebinders.”
“Perhaps not. It could have been an Honorblade.”

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Thoughts on the preview chapters:

Parshendi are loving awesome and sound like the most complex system Sanderson has come up with yet. Really can't want to see more of that POV.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Tunicate posted:

Oh, and he isn't holding the glowing turd gemheart. That's a big improvement too.

Poking around a bit, the Brazilian Mistborn Cover looks pretty kickass as well. I hope they have Marc Simonetti do the Brazilian covers for every one of Sanderson's brazillion books.

looks like he already has as a single piece, my guess is they're dividing it up for each book

http://art.marcsimonetti.com/127814/1270633/illustration/various-cover-arts

at the very bottom, second to last, there's a huge painting with Kelsier, Vin, and Elend.

Also that WoR teaser is killing me, I want the whole book!

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

So has Words of Radiance ended up longer than Way of Kings? I seem to recall Sanderson saying it was shorter, but I just pre-ordered the audiobook and the Words of Radiance recording is slightly longer (46 hours vs 45 hours of WoK). Of course this is within the margin of error based on reading speed, but it implies at the very least they are of quite similar lenghts.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shakugan posted:

So has Words of Radiance ended up longer than Way of Kings? I seem to recall Sanderson saying it was shorter, but I just pre-ordered the audiobook and the Words of Radiance recording is slightly longer (46 hours vs 45 hours of WoK). Of course this is within the margin of error based on reading speed, but it implies at the very least they are of quite similar lenghts.

WoK was 1001 pages, WoR is 1088.

It's longer, but the next books won't be - Sanderson has reached the limit of Tor's ability to bind books.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Tunicate posted:

It's longer, but the next books won't be - Sanderson has reached the limit of Tor's ability to bind books.

He's just following through on Robert Jordan's dream of forcing Tor to find a new binding method through sheer length.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

treeboy posted:

looks like he already has as a single piece, my guess is they're dividing it up for each book

http://art.marcsimonetti.com/127814/1270633/illustration/various-cover-arts

at the very bottom, second to last, there's a huge painting with Kelsier, Vin, and Elend.

Neato. I poked around to find a zoomed version, and it looks like he's got a slightly bigger one on his deviantart.
http://marcsimonetti.deviantart.com/art/Mistborn-429867494

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

ShadowGlass posted:

New preview chapters are up. Chapters Ten, Twelve, Fourteen, and Interlude I-1.

Adolin is great. I love how he is basically like a modern-day fencer who goes to his first tournament and is like "...gently caress you guys, you suck" and goes nuts :allears:

...Pleasedon'tdiepleasedon'tdiepleasedon'tdie

Grouchy Fish
Aug 24, 2006

Tunicate posted:

I remember reading somewhere that it isn't so much that Tor doesn't have presses that can bind books larger than WOR, but rather that the press that WOR has been scheduled to print on cannot bind a larger book. In theory, the next book could be bigger if they use a different press. I could be wrong but, from what I understand, press schedules are set far in advance and changing them is difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Speaking of the WoR cover art, it's funny in a way that it's a Kaladin cover given this is supposedly the/a Shallan book (haven't read the preview chapters). Sort of implies that the publishers realise that it's in their best interests to trick people into thinking it's a Kaladin focused book. I can't say I blaim them, Shallan is a terribly dull character, certainly in comparison to Kaladin and Dalinar, and it's a shame we're getting a book focused on her so soon... or at all really. I trust that it's happening for world building purposes and will all work out. But yeah, if it's necessary, it's a necessary evil.

I really hope that Sanderson doesn't write himself into a Rand-esque corner where where we only get a handful of chapters from the perspective of everyone's favorite character and/or the protagonist per book. World building is great and all, but world building using uninteresting characters, especially when it takes up a large part of a book, is one of the most frustrating things about epic fantasy.