Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator
Pissing me off today: Clients and lovely third party software.

Four phone calls between me and client, all because the clients don't know how to properly communicate and use the software some other company sold them - when they sit next to each other and have the same phone line.

And now, to them, I have an encyclopaedic knowledge of this third party software, because I've seen a two minute video of it in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qC73mL4ZFo - what I want to shout down the phone.

Westie fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Todays piss-off is a client that doesn't understand that SIP is a set of guidelines, and you can't just throw together a bunch of phones and some software and have a stable system with all the features that you've dreamt up in your head. You have to find either a hosted provider or a system that matches your budgets and feature requirements, and then buy the handsets that they list as being supported.

What you can't do is buy a bunch of phones off eBay and some PBX software, opt out of paying for support on the software and then expect everything to just work properly. All that happens is the people who made the phones says "support requests go through your reseller" and the PBX people say "welp, you didn't buy support. and those handsets aren't on our list anyway".

gently caress sake.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I have to ask what type of person does this? What do they do for work? Small business owner?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yup, the small business "professional services are expensive, how hard can it be?" crowd. I'm distancing myself from it all.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I hope the people responsible for Juniper's VPN solution die screaming.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Funny, because net connect is heads and shoulders above the next best offering (Cisco any connect, I guess), at least viewed from the user side.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pissing me off lately is just how many of our senior techs come to me for answers. It makes me feel great about not being promoted and being below them.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Bhodi posted:

Funny, because net connect is heads and shoulders above the next best offering (Cisco any connect, I guess), at least viewed from the user side.

We started using Citrix Netscaler and it's pretty painless for both the user and to administer. And it doesn't require Java! (gently caress you Connectra.)

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

jim truds posted:

Pissing me off lately is just how many of our senior techs come to me for answers. It makes me feel great about not being promoted and being below them.

I feel ya mate, I'm basically the goto guy for everyone and expected to work their stuff out for them.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Auditors are the worst houseguests. They're multiplying, they leave crap everywhere and they keep touching my technology. Even having them on a VLAN makes me feel like I need a handi-wipe for my network switch.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
So after honestly trying to like windows 8 for several months and having complaints, I upgraded to 8.1.... profile is broken, VMware workstation completely broken, windows.old now exists???, libraries are in C:\users\public?, classicshell is hosed, most apps launch wonky, bunch of other poo poo.

Great job MS this is actually going to be the first time I downgrade an OS to a prior version, I even held out with vista pre SP1 through it's life span till windows 7.

Oh and MS office 2013 needs to be repaired because????

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 28, 2014

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Upgrading Windows versions is never a good idea. Backup, flatten, and install for a good experience and none of those problems.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Galler posted:

Upgrading Windows versions is never a good idea. Backup, flatten, and install for a good experience and none of those problems.

Yeah I figured 8 -> 8.1 would be pretty straight forward...

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

You would think but, well, Microsoft.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I had nearly zero problems with my 8>8.1 upgrade. I had to reinstall AnyConnect, but I think that's it. 8.1 is agood OS, I'd give it a chance.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

FISHMANPET posted:

I had nearly zero problems with my 8>8.1 upgrade. I had to reinstall AnyConnect, but I think that's it. 8.1 is agood OS, I'd give it a chance.

8.1 has been great, even without a touchscreen. I have had zero complaints.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe
Microsoft Access and the stupid fuckers that keep developing this bad practice enabling pile of poo poo, get herpasyphilaids in your left eye.

Hey, I created this awesome application in Access. I'm going to have 37 users log into it at once. It queries 3 different databases from 3 different datacenters. But I don't know what a database is, I call it a table, and damnit I will correct you if you call it anything but a table. Oh, also instead of separating the front end garbage from the backend "database", I'll make it easy and keep everything as one. It's cool that I keep data in here from 2004, right? No need to archive anything.

Oh hey, holy poo poo, the thing doesn't work anymore. It's the network's fault. No I won't upgrade the application to Access 2007, I would actually have to make changes to poo poo that somehow works that I didn't document, because documentation is for dummies. Blah blah blah, network. You're whole team is worthless. Why are you limiting my DATABASE APPLICATION to 2GB? This thing may need to grow to a TB some day.

I'm going to whine to some VPs because I can't make my CSVs to feed into a report. Also, I like duplicating the work that is already done in some other MS SQL server somewhere else because I literally need to have my report dates to read MM/DD/YY instead of MM/DD/YYYY.

-----------

I have been in hell for the past few weeks with this stuff. I have a site that Access is a mission critical thing, and even though we have warned them over and over, they have to have it. The thing that made me think I was having a stroke was someone got their data corrupted on this 1.8 Gig monstrosity that supports 37 users. They lost a days worth of whatever it is they do in there. Sending everyone the drat links that talk about how amazing the JET database is in a shared environment does no good. Of course no one wants to pay the 2 weeks worth of a 3rd party coming in and porting the thing to SharePoint either. Best part, I'm a manager in an "enterprise" environment and the 2 people who could actually document what's going on and help troubleshoot are wrapped up in projects. The rest of my team surprises me everyday when they come in and they haven't forgotten how to breathe.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Out of 5 laptops I downgraded to 8.1 from 8, 4 had serious problems, of which 2 didn't even boot. So I said gently caress it and upgraded them to 7.

And yes, I have my ups and downs straight.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

sfwarlock posted:

Out of 5 laptops I downgraded to 8.1 from 8, 4 had serious problems, of which 2 didn't even boot. So I said gently caress it and upgraded them to 7.

And yes, I have my ups and downs straight.

Windows 8.1 is a lot better than W8.0.

Apart from the fact they changed the default Start Screen background images. gently caress you.
Apart from the fact that My Computer is now loving useless unless you do some reg poo poo. gently caress you.
Apart from the fact that Intel display drivers are loving broken. gently caress Intel.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The only problem I had with Windows 8.1 is that my Authentec IE add-on caused IE11 to start crashing. It was utterly miserable to troubleshoot.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

CaptainGimpy posted:

Microsoft Access and the stupid fuckers that keep developing this bad practice enabling pile of poo poo, get herpasyphilaids in your left eye.

This is a huge post so TLDR: I had to write a replacement for one of these and it was a huge waste of time for everyone.

At my last job one of my first projects was developing a real database-driven application to replace a Lost & Found... thing... (I refuse to call it an application) that the 70-year-old security supervisor's assistant had "written" on her own. It was similar to what you describe, except no remote data centers, just in-house database links. Periodically she'd have some problem with it and bitch at IT about it, and since we had nothing to do with designing, implementing or documenting (hah!) it, we couldn't ever help her.

After some back-and-forth about this, the executives got involved and told us basically, :buddy: "If it's on them thar computors, then IT supports it. If you can't, make something for her that you can support." Hey, great! A sensible decision that can close a potential data integrity hole and IT will be able to support this poo poo in case it breaks, which it won't because I'm just that good (heh).

It's a lost & found program. Simple enough, right? Item categories, add an item with status "Found" or "Lost" as appropriate, the current disposition of the item if found, contact details of person who lost item, and a matching algorithm (Sql "Like" keyword, more or less) to try and match lost items to found ones. Pretty straightforward.

Nope! First thing to know is that the Lost & Found was handled by the Security staff. Security dealt with a lot of "incidents." Most incidents did not have to do with lost things, they had to do with drunks and fighting and theft and the like. Security has an incident book. This book may as well be the Quran. Every incident goes into the book and becomes gospel. Including lost & found "incidents." A lost & found incident could be something like, "Hey I found this baseball cap, cell phone charger, fountain pen, and a miniature bust of Ares, Greek god of war." Security drone enters all four of these otherwise unrelated items into the incident book as a single incident. They are now inextricably linked.

The security director's assistant, the one who wrote the original Access thing, insists that their electronic records must EXACTLY MATCH the Holy Incident Book. Each incident has an incident number and everything. No, we can't enter each lost or found item as its own thing. They are together in the book, therefore they must be together in the database. No, we can't change the rules! The book is holy. The book is law. ALLAHU ACKBAR!

This woman was impossible to deal with. She was the biggest, nastiest, spikiest, rustiest, bloodiest battleaxe you've ever met in your life. Nobody at this company wanted to tell her to shut the gently caress up and listen to the experts. Nobody had the balls. She had her direct boss, the security director, completely cowed, and the general manager was coasting until his retirement so he didn't give a gently caress. And I was the guy who was hired a month ago to do development, at his first corporate development job. I wasn't confident enough in my skills or position to pipe up.

So okay, fine. We'll make the program that manages lost & found items incident-centric. It complicates the database and the UI designs to an unnecessary degree and makes no sense on a conceptual level, but we can do it. We'll give you categories and sub-categories and you can add as many individual items you want to an incident.

What? You don't want to click the "Add Item" button for multiple items? How do you do it with your current program? Oh, you pick a category that corresponds to one of the items in the incident, and then you just write the rest of the items in as freehand text. Sure, that makes sense and doesn't completely break any relational database design into shards. Fine, whatever, any matching that this program does for you now will be purely coincidental, I hope you're cool with that.

There was a whole, whole lot of nitpicking she did over our designs, and the end result was that it took about three times as long as it needed to to get done and was way more clunky and less functional than it should have been. The upside was that she never had to call IT for tech support on it!

Can anyone guess why?

--

Oh, funny aside: Her item categories were unbelievable. A small excerpt from my memory: Cap, Hat, Cowboy Hat, Baseball Cap, Cell Phone Charger (no category for cell phones themselves), Shirt, T-Shirt, Blouse, BLUE SWEATER(yes, really). There were about four dozen categories, single level (no category/subcategory system). She would just add a category into the system whenever she felt it necessary. And yes, we had to duplicate the list and were not allowed to create our own sane system of category/subcategory because it was an extra loving two mouse clicks for her.
:bang:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The new VP is apparently unhappy with the ambient temperature of her office, and blames it on me because of my UNREASONABLE request that the thermostat that services my office stays at the completely ridiculous temperature of... 71F. Only it's always much colder/hotter in the IT office because we are at the end of the trunk and the HVAC planning in our brand new space is idiotic. And hey there are some people with space heaters going in the office and the other thermostats are set to 73F and her office is on an entirely different trunk but shes got such a bee in her bonnet that she's actually complaining to other VPs about it saying "it's because Sirotan is cold in her office".

:mad:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

21c is a perfectly acceptable temperature. Anyone who thinks it's cold should wear a jumper.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Caged posted:

21c is a perfectly acceptable temperature. Anyone who thinks it's cold should wear a jumper.

It's me. I find 21C a bit too cold. Not enough to complain or try to change it but I like it at 23C. I just wear a sweater normally though but my work is heated by space heaters and I have a room to my own, so I can keep at at whatever temperature anyways. The sad part is I live in Canada, it's been -10C to -20C for the past couple of weeks and should be able to deal with it. Somehow my apartments have always been on the warm side, so I've just grown use to the heat.

A job I had years ago kept the place at 68F and I was right next to a door. It was the worst. I'd crank up the heat anytime I worked alone.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I could work perfectly well at 23, the problem is when the system can just about cope with holding the air at 23 until you add people or computers. 25 is my upper limit of being able to concentrate on stuff. I block booked a meeting room with a working air conditioner in at my last job for 3 weeks when the air in our tiny office reached 27 as well as being stale.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
When my office gets too cold I turn on my heater (our electrical system is not pathetic and can cope with the occasional space heater without tripping breakers or anything). But then the heat makes me sleepy :( Turning it on always seems like a great idea up until I'm about to fall asleep at my desk because of it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CaptainGimpy posted:

Two jobs ago, there was an Access app that we re-wrote in ASP. Worst part about it was that we couldn't get a SQL license for some reason so we continued to use the Access database connector thingy. Ugh.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I suppose I should note that while the thermostat is kept at 71F, I'm not even the one who set that temp and I only go mess with it when it dips down to 68Fish and it gets really cold in my office. My office is clear down the hall from the thing and so while it says its 71F it's always a bit colder/hotter in my office. I've had to rig up a fan on a high shelf to circulate the warm air so I'm not sitting at my desk with cold feet getting all cranky. And I'm certainly not dressed inappropriately, I came in wearing two sets of everything but pants today.

Though, that was more because I'm currently living in the tundra:

(air temp is -13F, 'feels like' -29F)

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Sirotan posted:

my office.

Get back in your pod.

Office. Hrumpf.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
We have QuickBooks where I work now, which serves as combination POS software and general accounting software.

QuickBooks has a function to allow you to work with sales lead reports, which we're required to fill out for like 90% of possible inquiries that customers might have. Do we use the leads function in QB?

No. We use a loving Access database per corporate. Goddamn, I hope that Microsoft NAV has a leads function so we can stop using that pile of Access poo poo whenever we actually DO make the changeover from QB to NAV.

Reminds me, has anyone worked with NAV? How is it?

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
The old versions of Navision (i guess that's what you mean) were pretty ok, i wasn't a "user" but from my point it hardly ever crashed/caused problems. Not even with large databases (.fdb or something? non-sql anyway).

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I like the temperature at 68F. That's what I grew up with, that's what my house is set too, that's what my boss sets the building to.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ratbert90 posted:

I like the temperature at 68F. That's what I grew up with, that's what my house is set too, that's what my boss sets the building to.

67-8 is the best temp all year. Maybe turn it up to 70-1 if it's a chilly morning before you hop in the shower.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Che Delilas posted:

:words:
Can anyone guess why?

She never actually used the new system?

Got to love that. "I don't care that your way is better in every single possible way. The system needs to work exactly like this. Wait, why is this system complete garbage you suck I'm not using this."

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Galler posted:

She never actually used the new system?

Got to love that. "I don't care that your way is better in every single possible way. The system needs to work exactly like this. Wait, why is this system complete garbage you suck I'm not using this."

My guess is that she died.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paper Tiger posted:

My guess is that she died.

Maybe she got lost and they couldn't properly categorize her in the system so nobody ever picked her back up.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Ongoing theme I know, but this one is a little more odd than most. First the obligatory..

gently caress Printers!

gently caress Konica's lovely incomplete PostScript implementation in particular.

This is a system I set up 10 years ago, and still support. We're doing some slightly unusual stuff, but it's 100% valid PostScript Level 2. The postscript is generic, not targetted at any specific model. Over the years a variety of Ricoh printers have come and gone and it's carried on trucking just fine.

Then a Konica Minolta BizHub C754 turns up.

First problem was jobs that selected the input tray by paper type (e.g. coloured, plain, recycled etc.) got inconsistent results, I had to switch it to selecting trays by number, losing the ability to have two trays that contain the same paper type and seamlessly switch between them. I may have posted about this already but my memory is bad so here it is again.

Second one is easier to fix, but more annoying and wasteful. The Konica can't handle a job that switches from Duplex to Simplex and back to Duplex in the middle of the run, it simply ignores the switch and so prints the first page of the next document on the back of the single page document. Given that these documents contain highly sensitive personal information this is not good as if it goes unnoticed by the mail room staff, you end up with a document posted to Joe Bloggs where the back page (which is now the front) contains details for Jane Doe, which would result in pretty heavy fines if they actually got posted!

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Lum posted:

Ongoing theme I know, but this one is a little more odd than most. First the obligatory..

gently caress Printers!

gently caress Konica's lovely incomplete PostScript implementation in particular.

This is a system I set up 10 years ago, and still support. We're doing some slightly unusual stuff, but it's 100% valid PostScript Level 2. The postscript is generic, not targetted at any specific model. Over the years a variety of Ricoh printers have come and gone and it's carried on trucking just fine.

Then a Konica Minolta BizHub C754 turns up.

First problem was jobs that selected the input tray by paper type (e.g. coloured, plain, recycled etc.) got inconsistent results, I had to switch it to selecting trays by number, losing the ability to have two trays that contain the same paper type and seamlessly switch between them. I may have posted about this already but my memory is bad so here it is again.

Second one is easier to fix, but more annoying and wasteful. The Konica can't handle a job that switches from Duplex to Simplex and back to Duplex in the middle of the run, it simply ignores the switch and so prints the first page of the next document on the back of the single page document. Given that these documents contain highly sensitive personal information this is not good as if it goes unnoticed by the mail room staff, you end up with a document posted to Joe Bloggs where the back page (which is now the front) contains details for Jane Doe, which would result in pretty heavy fines if they actually got posted!

I'm curious to know how you fixed the second issue. We have a branch office with a Konica and they curse the person who signed the lease for it every day.

Oh, let me give my gently caress PRINTERS. We leased an all in one printer, HP 1522. What a clusterfuck of a printer.

The last "gently caress you" was that the 1522 will NOT work with the HP Universal driver. You print something out? You get one page and then an unhelpful "Memory is Low" error message.

Took me a day to figure out why it was throwing this error.

RadicalR fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 28, 2014

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

RadicalR posted:

I'm curious to know how you fixed the second issue. We have a branch office with a Konica and they curse the person who signed the lease for it every day.

I altered the job so that it remains duplex throughout and added blank pages to be inserted after every page that was previously marked as simplex.

Makes my template rather more messy, but it works.

The first one was annoying as gently caress and I ended up modifying the PPD file for the Konica so that its tray numbers matched those on the Ricoh, allowing the same job to be directed to either printer and still get the correct coloured paper. Never did find a fix for selecting by mediatype. I think there were two mediatypes that actually worked, but we needed four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Lum posted:

gently caress Printers!

Kyocera also does this, their "KX" implementation of postscript is OK...except that certain PDFs we create (from Adobe Indesign/Illustrator) actually hard-crashed the printer. When you tried printing, it would spit out a few pages, then show "ERROR Please turn the printer off and on again with the power button". Tried about a million different drivers, no luck, the only solution I found was to open the PDF in some kind of opensource PDF reader, re-print it to PDF, and then print it from Acrobat - but of course that hosed up the colors/fonts/illustrations/everything...