Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Scrapez posted:

Putting a rug or rubber footings under the stand might dampen the vibration a bit.

That might also amplify the vibration. Replacing the stand with a huge slab of concrete should do wonders, though. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
What do I dooooooooooooo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

89 posted:

What do I dooooooooooooo

I would recommend just sending me your TV. I think you're pretty much screwed no matter what you do.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Rearranged my config. Just need some panels and stuff for the walls, and the sound will be pretty awesome!

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
What's the best method for running cables along a ceiling and then down a wall? My last place I just bundled the cables and used sticky anchors to run them along the corners. The girlfriend has vetoed that for the new place.

I was looking for white split loom, but apparently it's hard to find because it gets dirty very easily.

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

ante posted:

What's the best method for running cables along a ceiling and then down a wall? My last place I just bundled the cables and used sticky anchors to run them along the corners. The girlfriend has vetoed that for the new place.

I was looking for white split loom, but apparently it's hard to find because it gets dirty very easily.

I have used Legrand Cordmate products in that past. Sticks well and is paintable.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00004W3ZQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1388073072&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40

rivera82falcon
Oct 30, 2007
Sine yo piddy on the runny kine!
Originally I was going to have my Man Cave in the basement of my house, however, after some battles with the Mrs., I won and moved it to our spare bedroom. This is what I've done now and am looking for additional ideas:

Sony 47" LED screen
Wii
XBox360

Note: The walls are plaster and a PAIN in the rear end behind it due to the house being old so there are some "odd" beams behind the wall forcing me to use molding on the bottom half of the room. Also, I have a DVI cable running nicely on the bottom molding of the room to my PC on the other side.

The case will be changed later if I get time but there is a small table going where the PC sits now that I'm making.

This next pic shows a problem I ran into that forced me to make the two holes you see due to the edge of the house being there and a huge support beam I couldn't drill through mainly from the roof.

I need this covered as nice as possible but could use some ideas how to do this. Only thing that comes to mind is adding a small fake wall but I wanna hear other thoughts on this.

Thanks all!!! I'll definitely post more later as I update this room.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

rivera82falcon posted:

Originally I was going to have my Man Cave in the basement of my house, however, after some battles with the Mrs., I won and moved it to our spare bedroom. This is what I've done now and am looking for additional ideas:

Sony 47" LED screen
Wii
XBox360

Note: The walls are plaster and a PAIN in the rear end behind it due to the house being old so there are some "odd" beams behind the wall forcing me to use molding on the bottom half of the room. Also, I have a DVI cable running nicely on the bottom molding of the room to my PC on the other side.

The case will be changed later if I get time but there is a small table going where the PC sits now that I'm making.

This next pic shows a problem I ran into that forced me to make the two holes you see due to the edge of the house being there and a huge support beam I couldn't drill through mainly from the roof.

I need this covered as nice as possible but could use some ideas how to do this. Only thing that comes to mind is adding a small fake wall but I wanna hear other thoughts on this.

Thanks all!!! I'll definitely post more later as I update this room.

Get some crown molding to cover the wires up?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lynea-Molding-Wave-Collection-6-in-x-8-ft-Polyurethane-Crown-Molding-WC46401/202696520?N=ara1Z1z0winrZ1z135qv

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 2, 2014

rivera82falcon
Oct 30, 2007

That could work...I would need to put a strip of wood along the wall though due to the hole in the ceiling. I'll see what else they offer in terms of crown molding. Thanks!

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

rivera82falcon posted:

What is the support beam made out of? Wood?

rivera82falcon
Oct 30, 2007

Legdiian posted:

What is the support beam made out of? Wood?

Yeah...just wood. What makes it difficult to get into is the edge of my house is right there so my roof gets in the way. The roof is also steep so I can't get a drill into the beam straight or at an angle. Had I known this earlier, I would've made the hole while my roof was being fixed. If I still want to make the hole, I'll try again in 30 years...

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Porkchop Express posted:

I figured this might be the place to ask. Due to my landlord selling my house I have to keep all of my poo poo in a bedroom where I will be staying for a few months. So this mean I get to have my entertainment center and my bed in a single bedroom.

When it's just me I don't care so much, but when my girlfriend comes over I need to figure out a space saving seating option. I was thinking of getting those kind of pillow seat back things you can buy for beds, but I don't really like sitting on beds. I thought someone here might have some ideas?

I'm building two platforms in my new sharehouse high ceiling room, from scaffold pipe and steel railing pipe joiners. Bed and storage above the door level. Desk with 3 24 inch monitors, couch and AV setup on the floor. I'll probably stuff the pipe with rolled foam to keep any echoes to a minimum. Should work out nicely.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

rivera82falcon posted:

Yeah...just wood. What makes it difficult to get into is the edge of my house is right there so my roof gets in the way. The roof is also steep so I can't get a drill into the beam straight or at an angle. Had I known this earlier, I would've made the hole while my roof was being fixed. If I still want to make the hole, I'll try again in 30 years...

Have you considered something like a 1" paddle bit and just trenching out a path for the cable?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I asked this in the newbie audio question thread but didn't get any responses so I'm posting it here in case some of you have in-ceiling speaker experience:

quote:

Can anyone recommend where I should begin my search for good in-ceiling speaker brands? We are starting a home remodel and I'll probably be wanting speakers in the living room, kitchen, and potentially as rear-channels in a 5.1 TV/Den setup? I might want to go smaller for the kitchen and living room and bigger for the den. I've looked at (but haven't auditioned) the paradigm signatures and they would probably be on the high end for the budget, maybe something I'd consider for the den for movies but probably not for the other rooms.

I'm also going to plan on checking out the aperion in-ceiling speakers since I actually live a short drive from their showroom.
http://www.aperionaudio.com/speaker...heater-speakers

Any other good brands/models i should be looking at? Thanks in advance.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

MMD3 posted:

I asked this in the newbie audio question thread but didn't get any responses so I'm posting it here in case some of you have in-ceiling speaker experience:

Check out Monoprice.com they have a good selection of in-wall speakers for very affordable prices.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

MMD3 posted:

I hate to just dump a link on you, but there are so many variables to consider when picking an in ceiling speaker. I would start looking at pricing and reviews on Crutchfield : http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mqPhyIWfcLf/g_101500/In-ceiling-Speakers.html

I work for a home automation company and we have done a lot of B&W (Bowers&Wilkins) in wall/ceiling stuff.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Klipsch also has in ceiling stuff.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
so here's an updated drawing of what the space will likely end up looking like:

I've got an a/v installer coming over next week to do a bit of a consultation for me but I'm beginning to wonder if it doesn't just make more sense to scrap the idea of 5.1 if the couch will be backed right up against the back wall and just do a solid 3.1 configuration with good sound deadening behind the couch, on the ceiling, and in the wall the speakers are against.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

MMD3 posted:

I've got an a/v installer coming over next week to do a bit of a consultation for me but I'm beginning to wonder if it doesn't just make more sense to scrap the idea of 5.1 if the couch will be backed right up against the back wall and just do a solid 3.1 configuration with good sound deadening behind the couch, on the ceiling, and in the wall the speakers are against.
My couch is against the wall and I have two inwall speakers mounted at about 6 feet off the floor about 8 feet apart. While it's not ideal, it really does add to the experience.

At the very least you should pre-wire it incase you change your mind.

Legdiian fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 11, 2014

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Surround speakers go beside you, not behind you. I would mount the surrounds at the rear corners of the room pointing at the seating location, about 2/3rds of the way up to the ceiling. While not perfect, its not so bad as to be not worth doing.

On a side note, the sectional vouch is kind of a waste for that room. If you haven't purchased one yet, I would go for a normal couch, possibly with recliners.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

jonathan posted:

On a side note, the sectional vouch is kind of a waste for that room. If you haven't purchased one yet, I would go for a normal couch, possibly with recliners.

Or a chaise! I love being able to lay back on mine while watching TV/movies.

e: My chaise and setup. I've probably posted it here before but heck why not again!

kloa fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 11, 2014

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

jonathan posted:

Surround speakers go beside you, not behind you. I would mount the surrounds at the rear corners of the room pointing at the seating location, about 2/3rds of the way up to the ceiling. While not perfect, its not so bad as to be not worth doing.

we already have the sectional... may not end up using it in the basement but it seemed like it'd make sense for the space. It's 9' long & about 7.5' deep so it's a pretty big sectional that can seat 5 people comfortably.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What TV stand is that?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

krnhotwings posted:

What TV stand is that?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001523EGY/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They make a black version too if the Espresso color doesn't match your setup. Sadly it looks like Amazon doesn't carry it anymore, so you'll have to find it elsewhere.

e: There's also one that comes with a TV mount: http://www.amazon.com/OmniMount-Echo-50FP-50-Inch-Espresso/dp/B001GVIM9I/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

kloa posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001523EGY/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They make a black version too if the Espresso color doesn't match your setup. Sadly it looks like Amazon doesn't carry it anymore, so you'll have to find it elsewhere.

e: There's also one that comes with a TV mount: http://www.amazon.com/OmniMount-Echo-50FP-50-Inch-Espresso/dp/B001GVIM9I/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
Awww, looks like the product is discontinued.. Can't really find it anywhere. Thanks for the links though.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
In progress setup...

Sharp LC-60LE650U
Pioneer SP-PK52FS
Pioneer VSX-8231
PS3

Hate the TV stand but it was free. Thought about getting rid of the stand and wall mounting the TV but not sure if that would look weird with floor standers

catch22 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 27, 2014

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

catch22 posted:

Thought about getting rid of the stand and wall mounting the TV but not sure if that would look weird with floor standers

It won't look weird, but where are you going to put your gear?

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Legdiian posted:

It won't look weird, but where are you going to put your gear?

There's a closet in the room I could stash everything in.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

catch22 posted:

In progress setup...

Sharp LC-60LE650U
Pioneer SP-PK52FS
Pioneer VSX-8231
PS3

Hate the TV stand but it was free. Thought about getting rid of the stand and wall mounting the TV but not sure if that would look weird with floor standers

Ha, have that exact TV stand. It's from walmart.

gmcsonoma
Jan 27, 2004

I finally have my living room looking how I'd like it to! The only thing I really want to do now is conceal the bunch of wires running up to the tv, maybe with a color matched channel of some sort.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
are there any strong opinions in this thread on which brands I should be looking to for a TV wall mount? It seems like Sanus has some good ones anybody else I should look at? I'm hoping to have something that is fairly low profile but also has full motion tilt so I can point it towards another room to some degree.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

MMD3 posted:

are there any strong opinions in this thread on which brands I should be looking to for a TV wall mount? It seems like Sanus has some good ones anybody else I should look at? I'm hoping to have something that is fairly low profile but also has full motion tilt so I can point it towards another room to some degree.

I've had good luck with Omnimount. Had a ceiling mount for my projector from them and an articulating TV mount and both seemed to be high quality. They were a bit more expensive than some other brands though.

In my current house, I have two of these and they are surprisingly great for the $$: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NMFCIA/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, they just tilt down up to 15 degrees. They aren't articulating to allow you to point the TV left or right which it sounds like you need.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MMD3 posted:

These two things are in conflict, low profile mounts usually only have a few degrees of vertical tilt because having any further degree of movement means the bracket needs to be deeper to offer larger TVs the range of movement. If you want something to swing towards another room then you're not going to get something low profile because the centre point of the motion needs to be well away from the wall...

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

88h88 posted:

These two things are in conflict, low profile mounts usually only have a few degrees of vertical tilt because having any further degree of movement means the bracket needs to be deeper to offer larger TVs the range of movement. If you want something to swing towards another room then you're not going to get something low profile because the centre point of the motion needs to be well away from the wall...

I don't think they are in conflict at all, it just means you have to pull it out from the wall before tilting to the side

Here's one example:

http://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/mounts/vlf410/

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

gmcsonoma posted:

I finally have my living room looking how I'd like it to! The only thing I really want to do now is conceal the bunch of wires running up to the tv, maybe with a color matched channel of some sort.

Are those anime action figures on display in front of your tv? That's...a design choice, I guess. If it were me I'd hide those before I hid the cables.

MMD3 posted:

I don't think they are in conflict at all, it just means you have to pull it out from the wall before tilting to the side

Here's one example:

http://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/mounts/vlf410/

That looks like a good one. Most side-to-side tilt mounts are pretty bulky.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

BigFactory posted:

That looks like a good one. Most side-to-side tilt mounts are pretty bulky.

Yeah, in 88h88's defense, I didn't realize they were making nearly flush mount articulating mounts now, either. It used to be that your TV sat at least a couple inches from the wall.

Here's one from Omnimount that's flush/articulating. Looks expensive though:

http://www.omnimount.com/products/tv_wall_mounts/full_motion/ledp75/

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 28, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
My old articulating mount sticks out like 8". It's a real piece of trash.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BigFactory posted:

My old articulating mount sticks out like 8". It's a real piece of trash.

That's what she said! :v:

(I'm so sorry)

Here's my AV setup:

Please excuse the cell phone pic and the mess, I live alone.

That's a set of Audioengine A5+s on custom recipe card box stands, a DALI SWA-12 subwoofer and a Dell U2713HM monitor.

It's all tied together with TOSLINKs from the Xbox360 and the PC to a 4-way TOSLINK switchbox, which is connected to a FiiO D3 DAC, which feeds the speakers and my Millenium HP-1 headphone amp. Headphones are AIAIAI TMA-1 Studios. It's not pretty, but it works and it sounds drat good.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 28, 2014

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Anyone know of any TV stands similar to the BDI Revo9980? (http://www.bdiusa.com/theater/revo_9980.shtml#.UugC6xAo7cs )

While I do love the look of that stand, I don't love it enough to pay $1000 for it, at least not right now. And to be honest, the thing I like most about it is the height. I find almost all other TV stands to be too short for my liking. Right now my TV is on a stand where the bottom of the TV is about 42 inches off the ground. Honestly, I find this to be a tad too high, but I'd prefer it to be a tad too high rather than a lot too low. The 34 inch height of the Revo comes very close to what I would probably consider to be an optimal height TV stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Scrapez posted:

Yeah, in 88h88's defense, I didn't realize they were making nearly flush mount articulating mounts now, either. It used to be that your TV sat at least a couple inches from the wall.

Here's one from Omnimount that's flush/articulating. Looks expensive though:

http://www.omnimount.com/products/tv_wall_mounts/full_motion/ledp75/

ahhh, $135 isn't too bad at all... definitely more than a $30 mount but I understand that articulating mounts are going to cost considerably more than just a tilting wall mount.

It just seems that if you're purchasing a tv that is 3/4" thick now or whatever the current LED's are down to what's the point of a mount that holds it 4"+ from the wall?