Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Running With Spoons posted:

The thing is, it's not 50% at all.
When Junghyun does this strategy, if Hongchul simply does the simple thing and tries letters one after the other (while Junghyun sticks to the same one), Hongchul automatically loses if any of :
- His first pictogram is in the last 8 letters (Hongchul never advances and loses after opening 8 letters)
- His 2 first pictograms are the last 7 letters (Hongchul only advances once, and loses after opening 9 letters)
- His 3 first pictograms are in the last 6 letters

I computed the last case to about 75%, so that means Junghyun's strategy (if he follows his thoroughly, which he always should) wins around 80% of the time after 10 rounds.
And after that, even if he doesn't outright win, Junghyun probably has a small advantage.

Also don't forget that Hongchul has an equal chance of revealing one of Junghyun's next few pieces every move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Sangmin winning: Check. Yooyoung wearing a frumpy sweater: Check. Yohwan not quite being able to pull something together: Check.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I'm pretty much obligated to cheer for BoxeR no matter what, but boy is he sure making it hard.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
next week preview Guests from S1, maybe we'll get to see Jinho again. Also they revealed atleast Jungmoon and YuRam are friends with Jinho which should be exciting and maybe pull BoxeR out of the poo poo house.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Colonel Cool posted:

I'm pretty much obligated to cheer for BoxeR no matter what, but boy is he sure making it hard.

Yeah, what the hell was he thinking? He sorta just spazzed out and took some unconnected high numbers. He was drat lucky not to be dead last.

dungtongue
Jan 8, 2014
I wonder if they'll have an incentive not to come last in the next episode because it's Sangmin's last chance to use the token of immortality to get rid of a threat.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Xachariah posted:

Yeah, what the hell was he thinking? He sorta just spazzed out and took some unconnected high numbers. He was drat lucky not to be dead last.
He and Junghyun took some really stupid numbers unnecessarily at the beginning. Then it was funny how greedy Yohwan was trying to send bets around an extra time so many times, actually I liked that in theory but it repeatedly would get taken sooner than expected without the designated people getting to collect the chips and garnets. Actually I think the game would have worked a bit better if it were a longer game because then there'd be more chances for people to go broke. For trying to prevent Sangmin from winning, it sure was goofy how many people passed on the numbers he needed. poo poo, they were low numbers too. Anyway, the main game was OK but it didn't do that much for me.

Junghyun's move in that memory game was practically game-breaking. A cool move though, I hadn't considered it. I did notice in season 1 that Kyung-ran and Sangmin both were trying and still both almost went off the edge of the belt before uncovering their first shapes. So that move made a lot of sense as soon as I saw him pick the same letter Hongchul picked. Hongchul almost lost without even getting to play, but he did pick one thing that Junghyun had already picked so he can't quite say it was completely out of his control. After this match up they definitely need to adjust that game though. But the trick was cool this time. Probably Extreme Ways worthy. Did Junghyun really get to start a square ahead AND make Hongchul go first? That seems a bit much.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 28, 2014

meat on a Friday
Dec 9, 2010

What's the music playing when Junghyun is selecting an opponent for the deathmatch game? It plays at around 30 minutes of part 2.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Yunghyun for President. It's not even completely impossible, the current president of South Korea is his aunt or something.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The big topic for discussion that has been shockingly overlooked here is: What kind of coat was Sangmin wearing and where can I get one?

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Oof. On the heels of Jinho's departure, the "strategizing" in this episode was painfully abysmal. The groups ability to coordinate fell to pieces especially with Yohwan doing his own suicide thing, and everyone making unnecessary gambles sending numbers they needed on extra laps. I'm very surprised Yooyung wasn't colluding with Sangmin with all the low numbers she kept feeding him.

PAL-18
Jan 21, 2007

Wanna see my batteries?
Yeah, as expected the level of play in the main match was low without Jinho. When Yohwan "spazzed out" Hongchul was in first place. I thought his plan was to take the rest of the cubes, get last, and choose Sangmin for the deathmatch. Being able to pass with garnets means its almost impossible to make Sangmin last, so no matter what it's going to be not Sangmin vs not Sangmin in the deathmath. This would have been hilarious since he did the same in the practice match, but it would have made for a dull hour of tv. Instead we get virtually zero strategizing, building up to Juhghyun ending the game by taking all of the remaining cubes with an easily calculable 0% chance of not coming in last.

The main match was just as bad. Good on Junghyun for playing correctly but it only highlighted how hopeless the game is for the player who goes first.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Not even totally sure what this is for but newest BTS gives you the weekly dose of Jinho that you need in your life

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

S2E8 BTS - Sangmin was the mastermind all along! :argh:

Some trailer for another show with Jinho/Sangmin/Doohee/Gura - I want to see the full thing subbed so badly. The salty runback feat. Extreme Ways! :allears:

Midrena
May 2, 2009
The Saw music made me turn to my husband and mutter in a guttural voice, "I want to play a game." :v:

Preview for S2E9 - Ahh I loved the Animal Food Chain game, so hopefully the office version will be just as fun. And Sunggyu'll be there, that's a treat. I missed that dude. I enjoyed the way he acted like he had no idea what the heck was going on, making people underestimate him, and then he'd come back with some sneaky charm to win or almost win the episode.

CBT Time
Mar 4, 2005
Meh, season one had it's share of poorly designed puzzles but managed to be enjoyable anyway. Season 2 has come down to coin tosses way too many times. When the death match started I counted Hongchul's pieces and saw that he had 8 chances with 16 letters on the board. With those odds, it doesn't take a genius to realize you can just make your opponent guess his way out of the game. I don't even like Hongchul but the challenge was bullshit. Aside from guessing the "O" twice he played as well as anyone could in that situation.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Tonfa posted:

S2E8 BTS - Sangmin was the mastermind all along! :argh:

Some trailer for another show with Jinho/Sangmin/Doohee/Gura - I want to see the full thing subbed so badly. The salty runback feat. Extreme Ways! :allears:

Why can't Junghyun just be a secret mastermind damnit?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Cats LOVE Cigars! posted:

Meh, season one had it's share of poorly designed puzzles but managed to be enjoyable anyway. Season 2 has come down to coin tosses way too many times. When the death match started I counted Hongchul's pieces and saw that he had 8 chances with 16 letters on the board. With those odds, it doesn't take a genius to realize you can just make your opponent guess his way out of the game. I don't even like Hongchul but the challenge was bullshit. Aside from guessing the "O" twice he played as well as anyone could in that situation.

I disagree that it has come to more cointosses in the deathmatches by game designe. The last two weeks we had players who leveraged their garnet advantage/their opponents disadvantage to win the game, when they knew that they might be weaker in terms of long term gameplay (especially memory). To me this is more in the spirit of The Genius, especially with the season 2 subtitle being rulebreaker.
The same can be said about the mainmatches, with Junghyun tanking on purpose to protect Sangmin (and probably Yoonsun, who I believe is in an secret alliance with Sangmin and Junghyun) from being sucked dry by the 3 guys, banking on Garnet superiority and popular support in the deathmatch.

Im very excited to see how they adapted the food chain game to work with guests.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I'd like to thank this thread for introducing me to the show. Over the past week I've binged through all the episodes, and the only other reality/game show I've ever enjoyed like this is 'Solitary' (although the two could hardly be more dissimilar).

I definitely enjoyed Season One more, but that only makes sense since the three finalists were my favorites the whole time. This time around I guess I'm rooting for Sangmin, because even though he's an utter bastard, everyone I cared about being dicked over is already gone. I guess I'd also be okay with Jyunghang somehow pulling this off or at a stretch Yooyoung, since that would at least help to make up for the other girls all getting picked off in the first five episodes.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Finally caught up all the way through. Good stuff. Why is Sangmin so desperate for money? What's his problem?

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
The money issue is quite interesting in this show, because everyone is desperate for garnets but I think it's implied (and definitely discussed explicitly in S1 at least one) that the more famous people would give it to charity while the less famous ones would keep it. Also funny because, bearing in mind that 1 garnet is roughly $1000, they're playing for sums that are considerable but not exactly vast by gameshow standards.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Air Julio posted:

Finally caught up all the way through. Good stuff. Why is Sangmin so desperate for money? What's his problem?

He has scary hyungs to pay off or something.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Air Julio posted:

Something like 3 billion won disappeared from a failed restaurant he owned. Season 2s first episode had a fake newspaper graphic with the phrase "A Failed Business Is Not A Scam" which made me laugh, and told me pretty much everything I needed to know about the situation.

I just caught up last week, when do the subtitles usually get finished? Is it pretty consistent week to week or do you never know when theyre going to drop?

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Meme Emulator posted:

Something like 3 billion won disappeared from a failed restaurant he owned. Season 2s first episode had a fake newspaper graphic with the phrase "A Failed Business Is Not A Scam" which made me laugh, and told me pretty much everything I needed to know about the situation.

I just caught up last week, when do the subtitles usually get finished? Is it pretty consistent week to week or do you never know when theyre going to drop?

She's pretty consistent, usually Monday morning they go up on Dailymotion and later on in the day the download goes up. I think the latest it's been so far this season was Wednesday or Thursday, and that was for the Seven Commandments game.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Yah she started a new job a few weeks ago so sometimes they don't happen Mondays, but usually early in the week.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
Looks like episode will be up soon, she put up a cheat sheet for this week to make following the game easier since it's in the same vein as the first episode of the season.

Disco Spider
Oct 31, 2012
New one's up.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
kekekekekeke

best text message

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
Sangmin is pretty much unstoppable at this point.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Bankok posted:

he got 'lucky' again. Still Junghyun will crush the bastard.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Davincie posted:

he got 'lucky' again. Still Junghyun will crush the bastard.

You typo'd Yohwan

Disco Spider
Oct 31, 2012

Bankok posted:

It's gonna be really fun to watch him next week with seemingly no incentive whatsoever to win the main match. He actually might prefer to lose so he can personally pick his replacement in the death match.

Edit: Oh wait, there's still 4 of them aren't there. I guess he's gotta win one more week to be able to coast.

Disco Spider fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 5, 2014

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Disco Spider posted:

It's gonna be really fun to watch him next week with seemingly no incentive whatsoever to win the main match. He actually might prefer to lose so he can personally pick his replacement in the death match.

Edit: Oh wait, there's still 4 of them aren't there. I guess he's gotta win one more week to be able to coast.

You can't replace yourself with the winner of the game, so the token doesn't work in round 11.

Guest episode ruled again, Sunggyu/Sangmin is the best bromance and this was one of the best social games yet. Junghyun fighting!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It was so great seeing all the S1 people come back and school the poo poo out of the newbies. And godammit Yohwan, could you be any stupider?

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Rarity posted:

It was so great seeing all the S1 people come back and school the poo poo out of the newbies. And godammit Yohwan, could you be any stupider?

I really am afraid Yohwan is gonna bungle his way into winning this whole thing. He hasn't had much chance to show it yet, but I'd bet he has the same deathmatch skills Jinho showed with obviously none of the other strengths.

As a side note, are there any other popular retired progamers that could step into season 3? Tossgirl maybe? Her, Jinho and Yohwan are the only ones I can remember from my blurry days of watching gom.tv at 5 in the morning.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Maduo posted:

I really am afraid Yohwan is gonna bungle his way into winning this whole thing. He hasn't had much chance to show it yet, but I'd bet he has the same deathmatch skills Jinho showed with obviously none of the other strengths.

How's the SC community taking Yohwan's performance thus far? I didn't know who they were before this show, but Yohwan was built up to be a rival of Jinho, and other than poo poo talking to Jinho, it's been completely embarrassing. Even the poo poo talking was just grating, "gotta make him #2! haha".

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Maduo posted:

As a side note, are there any other popular retired progamers that could step into season 3? Tossgirl maybe? Her, Jinho and Yohwan are the only ones I can remember from my blurry days of watching gom.tv at 5 in the morning.

NaDa and JulyZerg would be good choices.

Edit - or loving firebathero.

Colonel Cool fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 5, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

He was Jinho's guest in Season One, wasn't he? And Jinho got really mad at him for playing poorly.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Really fun episode. The deathmatch was brilliantly simple after such a complex main game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

So many good moments. I'm still laughing about "Hey, I'll ally with you if you don't kill me." :commissar: Jiwon has been fired