Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

G Money posted:

I ordered a second unit in late December when it was still stating 1-3 business days, and it just shipped this week. :geno:

Could be worse. You could have gotten in on the sansaire kickstarter and still be waiting another few weeks for your SV rig. Not that I'm cranky.

Really I'm just jealous because I can't get my money back and want to make beautiful puddle foods, so I'm really really hoping it's as good as Kenji says.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
FoodSaver V2461 @ costco (instore) for 50 after coupon:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1336335/

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I found an interesting article comparing the major consumer-grade immersion circulators (Anova, Sansaire, and Nomiku) side by side:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/sous-vide-circulator-review-sansaire-nomiku-anova.html

It seems the Nomiku only has an inch and a quarter between the maximum and minimum water level. That could be problematic for 24+ hour recipes.

That looks like it might just be a plain old on/off controller, which wouldn't be precise enough for sous vide cooking (the fact that they didn't bother waterproofing the thermocouple suggests that they never intended for it to be used for that). Plus it's not that much less expensive than the Dorkfood controller.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Cockmaster posted:

It seems the Nomiku only has an inch and a quarter between the maximum and minimum water level. That could be problematic for 24+ hour recipes.

It's not. I cover the pot I'm SVing in with aluminum foil, and I've experienced negligible water loss over a 72 hour recipe.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How well does tri-tip sous vide? Picked up two of them today (prime grade). 2-3hrs @ 134*?

James Bont
Apr 20, 2007
do you expect me to talk?

BraveUlysses posted:

How well does tri-tip sous vide? Picked up two of them today (prime grade). 2-3hrs @ 134*?

We do a tri tip dish where I work. We do 6 hours at either 134 or 136, I forget which since it's newer on the menu. I think 136 though. And that's whole. Comes out pretty drat tasty, we serve it with romesco and cauliflower and poo poo. So there's that for a starting point, hope it helps.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I'm using a simple PID temperature controller ("on - off") with a hot plate for my sous-vide needs.
Today I ran into an issue however: I don't have any container big enough for large t-bones, that can also go on a hotplate.
I borrowed my mom's gigantic "fish pan" that she uses exclusively for ray wings and all was well. That thing holds like 8 - 10 liters.
Were I to invest into something that can handle a gigantic amount of plastic bags, is that my best bet ?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spatule posted:

I'm using a simple PID temperature controller ("on - off") with a hot plate for my sous-vide needs.
Today I ran into an issue however: I don't have any container big enough for large t-bones, that can also go on a hotplate.
I borrowed my mom's gigantic "fish pan" that she uses exclusively for ray wings and all was well. That thing holds like 8 - 10 liters.
Were I to invest into something that can handle a gigantic amount of plastic bags, is that my best bet ?

Analog Crockpot?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Largest crock pot I've seen is 7 quarts

If you want to go bigger and still use a PID, you can get a bucket water heater
http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Precision-Premier-742G-Bucket/dp/B000BDB4UG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390810054&sr=8-1&keywords=bucket+heater

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Spatule posted:

I saw a recipe for sous vide caramel sauce (made from sweetened condensed milk), and it got me wondering if something like this would help with fudge and other candy recipes. You probably couldn't use anything specifically designed for sous vide, since you're cooking at temperatures well above the boiling point of pure water. A generic PID controller connected to a hot plate, however, should in theory do the job.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I wanted shrimp scampi, so:

Shrimp, a little red pepper, and a stick of butter in a bag:

Into the water bath! (Don't buy a Sous Vide Supreme) 58C for 40 minutes:

Delicious butter poached shrimp! (I would have left the shells on but I asked my wife to get them out and she de-shelled them for me in advance.)

I mandolined and then finely chopped a couple shallots, sweated in a little more butter, deglazed with white wine and then poured in the bag contents and the juice of half a lemon:

Nice wide noodles:

Plated:

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004
Why don't buy a sous vide supreme? I get that there are better and cheaper alternatives now but I have one from before that was the case and am generally happy with it

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Well you already own it so I doubt you'd buy another one. Aside from the obvious that you admitted there are better cheaper options notice the corroded heat spreader plate. The plate is aluminum and literally eats itself.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Sous vide pork chops with butternut squash risotto... Came out great:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

What temp did you use for those pork chops? They look good but I don't see any pink at all.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Chemmy posted:

Well you already own it so I doubt you'd buy another one. Aside from the obvious that you admitted there are better cheaper options notice the corroded heat spreader plate. The plate is aluminum and literally eats itself.

How long did that take to start happening? I've had mine for half a year and have yet to see that occur yet.

What's the story with using butter on sous vide? I've seen articles saying it was a bad idea, as ultimately it ended up leeching more flavor out of the meat. But I still see many recipes where people are adding butter. I understand in Chemmy's case the flavour leech was fine as it ended up in the noodles. But in other cases, like with steak, does the loss of flavors get compensated by the flavor the butter adds?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It happens instantly. I had the first one replaced under warranty when I lived in CT.

I used the new one after moving to CA and it does the same thing. It's the Demi, not the full size and I think it electrolytically corrodes.

I'm counting down the days until my Sansaire arrives.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

granpa yum posted:

Why don't buy a sous vide supreme? I get that there are better and cheaper alternatives now but I have one from before that was the case and am generally happy with it
I have one of the original set that came out, and there's absolutely no reason to buy one when you can get an Anova for $200.

.Z. posted:

How long did that take to start happening? I've had mine for half a year and have yet to see that occur yet.
I bought mine about 4-5 years ago and that set doesn't corrode, I think it's a known issue with some of the Demis.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Chemmy posted:

It happens instantly. I had the first one replaced under warranty when I lived in CT.

I used the new one after moving to CA and it does the same thing. It's the Demi, not the full size and I think it electrolytically corrodes.

I'm counting down the days until my Sansaire arrives.

Sorry, forgot to specify I have a Demi as well, guess I dodged a bullet.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

.Z. posted:

What's the story with using butter on sous vide? I've seen articles saying it was a bad idea, as ultimately it ended up leeching more flavor out of the meat. But I still see many recipes where people are adding butter. I understand in Chemmy's case the flavour leech was fine as it ended up in the noodles. But in other cases, like with steak, does the loss of flavors get compensated by the flavor the butter adds?

I have done it both way with steaks and don't really notice much difference. If I want butter I sear with clarified butter and EVOO after. I have seen warnings not to do butter or any dairy products for long cooks so you don't poison yourself.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

dotster posted:

I have seen warnings not to do butter or any dairy products for long cooks so you don't poison yourself.

:what:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

dotster posted:

I have done it both way with steaks and don't really notice much difference. If I want butter I sear with clarified butter and EVOO after. I have seen warnings not to do butter or any dairy products for long cooks so you don't poison yourself.

I think that had to do with open-air butter like some restaurants do? If they're in a bag that means they'll be pasteurized over the course of a couple hours and no live critters will be allowed to get in.

Dairy pasteurizes pretty well, that's why almost all the milk you'll ever eat is pasteurized

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 28, 2014

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Chemmy posted:

On mine, it even started corroding little spots where it touches the inside of the water container. I e-mailed the company and they offered to replace the aluminum tray. I pointed out that the container itself was damaged and it would just happen again with a new tray. I asked the to let me pay the difference to upgrade to the full size SVS for the stainless container, and they never replied again.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yeah it's a known issue. They replaced it once for me and then never replied to anything I sent them.

It's an obvious design flaw.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
So is it like it will eventually wither away like that Nazi in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade?

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

I think that had to do with open-air butter like some restaurants do? If they're in a bag that means they'll be pasteurized over the course of a couple hours and no live critters will be allowed to get in.

Dairy pasteurizes pretty well, that's why almost all the milk you'll ever eat is pasteurized

I found where I read it, here is the link PolyScience Sous Vide Beef Short Ribs

"Do NOT use dairy products, such as butter, in cook times exceeding 4 hours."

Not sure the reasoning, a quick search did turn up some others saying butter at lower temps will go rancid on longer cook times. So maybe it will smell bad but shouldn't poison you because you can eat rancid butter.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
SubG I summon thee.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Here's what SubG had to say previously:

Genewiz posted:

Thomas Keller used to do the bagged method but apparently switched to the bath method after some issues with New York's health inspectors.

SubG posted:

I don't know the details, but I can't imagine it being an issue. Butter will pasteurise just as readily in a bag as in a pot. Are you sure the issue wasn't the result of using butter as the sous vide medium? This is something a lot of people do---instead of sealing the stuff to be cooked in a bag and filling the reservoir with water, filling the reservoir with some other liquid (e.g. butter) and cooking the food directly in that. I could see a couple of issues there that a health inspector might object to---the IC itself not being rated as food safe, or the container not being rated for temperature (and so potentially leaching BPA or whatever, which is something you'd have to worry about if you were cooking `directly' in a cambro).

Like I said before, I'd probably just do lobster `conventionally' because I don't see much of an advantage to doing 'em in the puddle machine (as opposed to some other shellfish which are a lot easier to get just so sous vide), but I don't think there are any problems with doing it sous vide.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
FWIW kenji also mentioned not to use butter in his s-v articles on steak.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Got a link? All I can find is this: http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/03/how-to-sous-vide-steak.html and it has to do with taste, not food safety

At any rate I think this is worth looking into more carefully for safety's sake.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 28, 2014

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Chiming in to say my SVS started to corrode instantly - both the aluminum plate and a couple little spots on the lining of the SVS itself. Never got a reply when I sent an inquiry about it to their customer service. It also has a 2F margin of error according to my thermapen/other thermometers, which seems pretty relevant when you're trying to hit a specific consistency/texture on an egg or something.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Hauki posted:

Chiming in to say my SVS started to corrode instantly - both the aluminum plate and a couple little spots on the lining of the SVS itself. Never got a reply when I sent an inquiry about it to their customer service. It also has a 2F margin of error according to my thermapen/other thermometers, which seems pretty relevant when you're trying to hit a specific consistency/texture on an egg or something.

Weird! I've had mine for years (all though it is the full size unit) and never had any issues. Thermapen registers as less than a degree swing but I've not tested that extensively. I don't even change the water in it with regularly, unless something gets in it from a leaky bag or I feel like I need to clean the machine. Sad to hear the customer service is weak though; I've never had to utilize it but it'll probably come up at some point.

In my experience the SVS has been relatively bulletproof, with the exception of permanent taking up a ton of counter space. I would definitely get an Anova or Sansaire if I got one now even if they weren't significantly cheaper just for that reason alone.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I've got a sauerbraten pickling now, using a bottom round roast. Considering doing it in the SVS at like 134 when it's ready. How long should it go?
Further, I'm thinking about just cooking it in the cure, I have it all in a gallon ziplock right now, and it's sealed up nicely with no air. Any reason this would be a dumb idea?

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just sous vided a steak for 72 hours at 52.5C/126.5F, except it didn't seem to work out very well. Instead of tasting like a delicious soft juicy steak (like it did when I cooked it for 6 hours at 52.5C) it tasted a lot more like my steak that I did for 24 hours at 62C/143F. That is, much more like a potroast.

Any idea as to what happened? Where did I go wrong in creating this supposed juicy tender dripping-with-juiciness/blood 72 hour steak? I didn't do anything to the steak (i.e. salt, brine, sear) before sous-viding. I just threw it straight into the water bath and left it for 3 days...

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Womens Jeans posted:

I just sous vided a steak for 72 hours at 52.5C/126.5F, except it didn't seem to work out very well. Instead of tasting like a delicious soft juicy steak (like it did when I cooked it for 6 hours at 52.5C) it tasted a lot more like my steak that I did for 24 hours at 62C/143F. That is, much more like a potroast.

Any idea as to what happened? Where did I go wrong in creating this supposed juicy tender dripping-with-juiciness/blood 72 hour steak? I didn't do anything to the steak (i.e. salt, brine, sear) before sous-viding. I just threw it straight into the water bath and left it for 3 days...

What cut of meat did you use?

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Norwegian mørbrad, which from http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storfekj%F8tt seems to correspond to American sirloin and British rump steak.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I don't think that cut has enough collagen to warrant cooking it for 3 days. steaks don't really need more than a few hours at temp to be ready to eat.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Sirloin doesn't contain much connective tissue, which means it doesn't benefit from long cook times. It's done after an hour or two.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

I like turtles posted:

I've got a sauerbraten pickling now, using a bottom round roast. Considering doing it in the SVS at like 134 when it's ready. How long should it go?
Further, I'm thinking about just cooking it in the cure, I have it all in a gallon ziplock right now, and it's sealed up nicely with no air. Any reason this would be a dumb idea?

Can't answer your question but if you do this, PLEASE come back and post your results because I love Sauerbraten.

edit: PM'd you

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I'm just cooking for me so I think I'll do an experiment... Cut it into thirds, cook one in the schlemmertopf my dad got me for Christmas, one sous vide normally, and one sous vide still in the marinade.
Sauerbraten :science:!