Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Chase?
This poll is closed.
Augh 46 32.39%
gently caress 96 67.61%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Uncle Jam posted:

I like most of these because it eliminates the stupidity of the old system where making up ten positions in the 30s was worth more than going from 5th to 1st.

it was even cooler when they had non-standardized starting grids before 1996-ish, when crashing on lap 1 at Bristol and finishing 32nd would get you significantly more points than crashing on lap 1 and finishing 43rd at Charlotte.

what I'm saying is, cut the loving points off at 25th, jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Amen. Although I'd cut the points off past 15th or 20th. I think you should have to at least finish in the top half of the field to collect points.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cutting the points off like that would just encourage people to be even more conservative...

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fag Boy Jim posted:

it was even cooler when they had non-standardized starting grids before 1996-ish, when crashing on lap 1 at Bristol and finishing 32nd would get you significantly more points than crashing on lap 1 and finishing 43rd at Charlotte.

In 1983 Mike Potter finished 28th and last place at Bristol. His sponsor was Larry's Nightclub.

Cygni posted:

Cutting the points off like that would just encourage people to be even more conservative...

Still better than deciding the championship on garbage finishes.

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 27, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Uncle Jam posted:

In 1983 Mike Potter finished 28th and last place at Bristol. His sponsor was Larry's Nightclub.

For a second, I thought the sponsor on his C-post was one of those black and red "For Sale" signs.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
All this talk of 70s nascar in that article makes me wanna play Nascar Legends.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

An e-cigarette company in financial issues? I'll be damned...
http://www.catchfence.com/2014/truc..._source=twitter
Too bad it'll gently caress Jeb over, though.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I didn't even know his sponsor was an E Cig company. Then again I don't know what the sponsors for over half the Nationwide and Truck drivers are.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
I liked his ideas for the most part. I like the idea of going back to the "old" system where its a cumulative points system and the most at the end wins and making a significant bonus for winning a race. That was the biggest problem with the old system and the new system. I know everybody wants to win but finishing 2nd really isn't that bad when you're only getting a few less points. Winning one of these things should pay more. I hate the chase and the idea that you can slip in there 10th or now even 16th in points and eventually win a championship. Most of the time if you're 7th or below in points going into the chase you probably don't have the team or the equipment to make a charge at the championship but I don't think its fair to the guys who are consistent week in and week out to lose a title to somebody who got hot at the right time. If they want to keep the chase if anything they should limit it to the top 5 in points instead of expanding it.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Uncle Jam posted:

Potter's first of four career last-place finishes in Cup, marking the last time the #76 has ever finished last in a Cup Series race. It was also the first last-place finish for the #76 in a Cup race since Earl Brooks at Rockingham in the fall of 1968.

(New LASTCAR book goes into production tomorrow, aiming for February release!)

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Curious.

I heard an ad for "MONSTER JAM" on the radio today, and it mentioned something about one of the trucks being a 4-time national champ.

a.) how's this determined?

b.) I kind of need to go to one of these one day, they sound pretty cool and fan friendly

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 28, 2014

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Curious.

I heard an ad for "MONSTER JAM" on the radio today, and it mentioned something about one of the trucks being a 4-time national champ.

b.) I kind of need to go to one of these one day, they sound pretty cool and fan friendly

There's a points system where the top 12 trucks get in the Chase on "awesome points" over the season and "most rear end kicked" at each event. After every three events in the Chase, the bottom three trucks are fed into giant compactors with the drivers still inside. The final Monster Jam is set in a gigantic ThunderDome somewhere in Somalia. The last driver surviving wins the title and gets to decorate his truck with his opponents' skulls.

There's one in Tampa on Feb 1, I will admit to being tempted.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Keep in mind that Monster Jam owns all of the trucks as a singular entity, just in case you wondered if NASCAR could get worse somehow.

There was a thread in AI a while ago, one of the AI guys works in the Bigfoot shop and it's interesting to hear about the conflict between the legitimate monster truck races and Monster Jam.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

skaboomizzy posted:

There's a points system where the top 12 trucks get in the Chase on "awesome points" over the season and "most rear end kicked" at each event. After every three events in the Chase, the bottom three trucks are fed into giant compactors with the drivers still inside. The final Monster Jam is set in a gigantic ThunderDome somewhere in Somalia. The last driver surviving wins the title and gets to decorate his truck with his opponents' skulls.

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Living in the Tampa Bay area, this is about 85% accurate in that Sonny's will sponsor anything with a motor and they are all over the place as the go-to crappy chain BBQ. The fatal flaw is a Twinkie cook-off; if you're going for satire, it's gotta be mastodon ribs.

In all seriousness, I'm torn between MONSTER JAM and the Warhol exhibit at the new Dali museum. Either one will be awesome and hilarious. Maybe I'll flip a coin.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

skaboomizzy posted:

I hope like hell you aren't making any of that up. :whatup:

Is Robby Gordon's truck racing thing still going?

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

LordPants posted:

I hope like hell you aren't making any of that up. :whatup:

Is Robby Gordon's truck racing thing still going?

http://stadiumsupertrucks.com/ssts/

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

FuzzySkinner posted:

Curious.

Monster Jam has a world finals thing where the winner is the champ.

edit: If they're doing it at a bigass football stadium or whatever then it can be really fun. If they're doing it at a hockey arena it'll be terrible because they can't get up to speed. If you ever wanted to see a truck that is classified by the us government as 8 tanks (yeah, whatever. "words") do a backflip, then Monster Jam is for you. Doubly so if they have TRUCKASAURUS.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 28, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

In other "Let's make some changes to NASCAR because" news, the All-Star Open will now run Friday instead of immediately before the All-Star Race.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

CBJSprague24 posted:

In other "Let's make some changes to NASCAR because" news, the All-Star Open will now run Friday instead of immediately before the All-Star Race.

I guess the plan is to get people to go to the truck race?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Truex is currently doing his media day responsibilities from a tropical island while drunk.

quote:

@JennaFryer 38m

Truex is clearly drunk on mai tai's. He just said "we're going to win every race."

@JennaFryer 26m

Someone just handed him a drink. I knew it. I called that from the opening line.

Owns.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Cygni posted:

Truex is currently doing his media day responsibilities from a tropical island while drunk.

Owns.

Oh my god... incredible. We need that interview right the gently caress now. I love Truex Jr. now.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

CBJSprague24 posted:

Actually, I'm unironically pleased with this change. Not only are they going to run the Open on Friday, but the three-lap qualifying session for the All-Star will be on Saturday, giving the Open qualifiers a chance to participate in that session.

Now, if they would just hold the entire event at Eldora instead of Charlotte, we'd REALLY have something to watch!

I've never been a Truex fan, but that is awesome. There seems to be something about Furniture Row Racing hiring you that makes you easier to root for.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

LASTCAR posted:

Now, if they would just hold the entire event at Eldora instead of Charlotte, we'd REALLY have something to watch!

Gonna empty quote this.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

LASTCAR posted:

I've never been a Truex fan, but that is awesome. There seems to be something about Furniture Row Racing hiring you that makes you easier to root for.

Without his stint at Furniture Row i would never be a Kurt Busch fan.

SPiTZ
Aug 9, 2004

Peanut President posted:

Monster Jam has a world finals thing where the winner is the champ.

edit: If they're doing it at a bigass football stadium or whatever then it can be really fun. If they're doing it at a hockey arena it'll be terrible because they can't get up to speed.

All of this is true. If you're nearby a smaller venue event, it's still pretty fun for kids.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Peanut President posted:

If they're doing it at a bigass football stadium or whatever then it can be really fun. If they're doing it at a hockey arena it'll be terrible because they can't get up to speed.

Only at a football stadium (or larger) will you see one jump for 40 yards, and then bounce off to flip through the air for another 30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_p8W2i3WT4
2:20 in

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Slickdrac posted:

Only at a football stadium (or larger) will you see one jump for 40 yards, and then bounce off to flip through the air for another 30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_p8W2i3WT4
2:20 in

Freestyle runs for points based on how loud the fans cheer is pretty much where NASCAR is heading.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

CactusWeasle posted:

Freestyle runs for points based on how loud the fans cheer is pretty much where NASCAR is heading.

Whoever is trending highest on Twitter gets pole position!

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Finally a championship for Junior :unsmith:

For the next 20 years :smith:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

So Eric McClure is driving for Front Row for the 500, and says he's retiring after this season.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Boomer The Cannon posted:

So Eric McClure is driving for Front Row for the 500, and says he's retiring after this season.

Ahhh, Troy....I will remember him from such races as...um...well...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Eric McClure was intensely bad.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

Boomer The Cannon posted:

YOU MAY REMEMBER ME FROM SUCH RACES AS THAT ONE WHEN I ALMOST DIED

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Eric McClure was intensely bad.

He's had a lot of bad luck, too. His house was destroyed in a tornado, he was injured in a wreck at Talladega, and last year he was sidelined by a kidney ailment for several races, putting LASTCAR leader Jeff Green in the car.

EDIT: drat, pnut, you beat me to it.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

From the article, it was the wreck at Talladega that freaked his children out enough to make him want to retire.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Ryan Blaney is getting the Roush Development Driver treatment: He'll still only run 15 NNS races this year, but does get to try to make two Cup races.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Someone said JPM's running the Brickyard 400 for Penske, but I haven't seen it confirmed.

In other news, Horseface Sr. has slightly redeemed himself in my eyes:
http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/10370997/drivers-differ-proposed-nascar-format-changes

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007
Is there a fantasy league this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

PatrickBateman posted:

Is there a fantasy league this year?

Not yet.

e- There is now:

Group ID: 5780
PW: sascar

Do Fantasy players want their worst score in each segment dropped or not?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 30, 2014

• Locked thread