Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo jay glazer is loving nutty. Probably a riot to hang out with though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Sure thing, Jay, I believe that you call out NFL players and they back down from you.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I believe every word of it because he admits to going to a Styx concert and who would admit to that

RalphTheWonderLlama
Jan 23, 2006

Baseball is serious business.
I think we found the mayor of Brohio.

Its like he's a character from a movie, where his whole existence can be summed up in him telling the story about being in a 'limo full of chicks going to a Styx show and getting a call from an NFL player.' Oh, right, I get who he is now. An rear end in a top hat.

A very entertaining rear end in a top hat.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I hosted a Pride clip show with Frank Trigg and he showed me all his best moves bring it *gets rear naked choked*

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

RalphTheWonderLlama posted:

I think we found the mayor of Brohio.

Its like he's a character from a movie, where his whole existence can be summed up in him telling the story about being in a 'limo full of chicks going to a Styx show and getting a call from an NFL player.' Oh, right, I get who he is now. An rear end in a top hat.

A very entertaining rear end in a top hat.

I think it helps that the author seems aware of who his subject is and embraces it

It's what makes The Kid Stays in the Picture work

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Groucho Marxist posted:

Sure thing, Jay, I believe that you call out NFL players and they back down from you.

He is big into MMA and trains with a lot of pros so I don't doubt it at all.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jota posted:

He is big into MMA and trains with a lot of pros so I don't doubt it at all.

Yeah I don't know if he can get someone Strahan's size to back down from him but dude is supposedly in phenomenal shape.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

DJExile posted:

Yeah I don't know if he can get someone Strahan's size to back down from him but dude is supposedly in phenomenal shape.

Eh, my take is that regardless of whether it's true, even if it did happen to both react as such and then brag about it makes you a loving tool.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Carroll, NFL still a lousy fit

"The players also won't be embracing him like they have in college. Before you know it, that constant smile that has become Carroll's trademark will be harder and harder to find.

Regardless of how optimistic some Carroll supporters may be about this news, the man is going to fail in the NFL."

Given a choice, players pick Carroll

"Many players want to enjoy the journey as much as the final destination. This is where Carroll's true genius resides."

Jeffri Chadiha everybody.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

To be fair, those are 4 years apart, and he wasn't alone in thinking Pete couldn't make the jump to the NFL game.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Yeah, I'd rather a columnist be willing to change their mind than entrench.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
But to never acknowledge his drastic difference of opinion is a common theme these days.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

morestuff posted:

Yeah, I'd rather a columnist be willing to change their mind than entrench.

Jubs posted:

But to never acknowledge his drastic difference of opinion is a common theme these days.

Speaking of which, back in the spring, Heath Evans wrote some article which said the Chip Kelly would be the worst NFL hire of all time.

:laffo:

The other day, he was on Philly radio and instead of owning up to his stupidity, he blamed his editors instead.

Heath Evans is the worst

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

There are still a bunch of players who would beat the absolute piss out of him but I would guess Peyton Manning is not on the list. Way to stand up to the dweeby dude who's had three neck surgeries though, Jay.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Roger Huerta showed TMZ that it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Jay Glazer seems like the kind of unhinged personality that I could totally see Peyton being a tad intimidated by him. Could you imagine Adam Schefter or Ian Rapoport unloading on a famous QB like that?

That slightly-deranged mind is part of why he's so good at his job, of course, but man I couldn't imagine hanging around him all day.

MourningView posted:

There are still a bunch of players who would beat the absolute piss out of him but I would guess Peyton Manning is not on the list. Way to stand up to the dweeby dude who's had three neck surgeries though, Jay.

This incident happened in 2007 and they're apparently on great terms now. Say what you will about Glazer's methods, it's clearly working.

Benne fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 29, 2014

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Benne posted:

Jay Glazer seems like the kind of unhinged personality that I could totally see Peyton being a tad intimidated by him. Could you imagine Adam Schefter or Ian Rapoport unloading on a famous QB like that?

Who's even to say he was intimidated? Maybe he just doesn't have the mind of a child and hence isn't going to get in a fistfight over a joke about a dude who isn't even present.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

To be fair, those are 4 years apart, and he wasn't alone in thinking Pete couldn't make the jump to the NFL game.
Carroll had also been an NFL head coach for four years in the 1990s, so he had a body of work to go on.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Mornacale posted:

Who's even to say he was intimidated? Maybe he just doesn't have the mind of a child and hence isn't going to get in a fistfight over a joke about a dude who isn't even present.

A bad joke about a friends public divorce deserves an rear end beating.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Jay Glazer comes off like a wannabe Johnny Drama.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Parlett316 posted:

A bad joke about a friends public divorce deserves an rear end beating.

It's true, that will totally get those friends back together.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jummy posted:

It's true, that will totally get those friends back together.

Man if someone was bad mouthing me or making lovely remarks about a personal experience I as going through around someone close to me I hope they just sit there and smile or put their head down like nothing happened.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mornacale posted:

Peyton Manning isn't using his fists. If you think he isn't using that giant forehead of his for a massive headbutt you're out of your mind.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Parlett316 posted:

Man if someone was bad mouthing me or making lovely remarks about a personal experience I as going through around someone close to me I hope they just sit there and smile or put their head down like nothing happened.

Good sir, you have besmirched my honour and we must settle this with fisticuffs!

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
http://deadspin.com/richard-sherman-explains-what-people-mean-when-they-cal-1506821800

Can't write to see sports journalists respond by explaining what they really mean when they call someone a thug and why hockey and baseball fights are different than if (black) nba or nfl players fought.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

A bunch of reactions to the House Rep who threatened to throw a reporter off the balcony before the State of the Union yesterday have included "thug." Probably coincidental, but it seemed like a conspicuous, intentional overuse like it would balance out the reactions to Sherman.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Anals of History posted:

A bunch of reactions to the House Rep who threatened to throw a reporter off the balcony before the State of the Union yesterday have included "thug." Probably coincidental, but it seemed like a conspicuous, intentional overuse like it would balance out the reactions to Sherman.
Actually if you saw what Michael Grimm did it was literally thuggish because he told a reporter who asked him a question he didn't like that he was going to "throw him over the loving balcony", and to top it off he did it while the cameras were rolling.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

Actually if you saw what Michael Grimm did it was literally thuggish because he told a reporter who asked him a question he didn't like that he was going to "throw him over the loving balcony", and to top it off he did it while the cameras were rolling.

I'm not disagreeing at all - that was absolutely the definition of thuggish behavior. Still, I'm not used to seeing thug used much outside of sports commentary so it was a little surprising even though it was correct.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Parlett316 posted:

I hope so to because if this friend was Peyton Manning then after the assault my friend would probably be in jail (well he's rich so probably some light probation) and then the rear end in a top hat he assaulted would be a millionare after the civil suit.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Parlett316 posted:

That would be the correct react yeah.

Unless you are a child but then your parent disciplines you and everything is all right.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

That would be the correct react yeah.

Unless you are a child but then your parent disciplines you and everything is all right.

Did you parents teach you how to have a backbone or to stick up for others?

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Parlett316 posted:

You realize this thread title isn't meant to be taken literally, right? Also, I challenged you to a duel, are we doing this or what? Have a backbone.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Someone at Fox Sports 1 destroyed Rick Reilly

http://deadspin.com/fox-sports-1s-katie-nolan-lays-waste-to-rick-reilly-1511802652

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo :stare: That's a fantastic take-down.

Regis' reaction is pretty great too.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

well that explains why I got some notification on my phone that 56 people I follow started following @KatieNolan

Katie Nolan owns a lot.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Reilly claims he's above biting back and brushed her comments off as toothless.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

R.D. Mangles posted:

"You can't hurt me by stating the truth, duh. :rolleyes: "

That really was a fantastic takedown of Reilly though, holy moly.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

R.D. Mangles posted:

:golfclap: Good joke here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Parlett316 posted:

Yeah, thats why I punch people when theyre mean to me and that way we all learn a lesson and are better off for it haha.