Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
S'nice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
LT1 chat, It is basically a 350 with different heads, you can even get an intake and drop a distributor in it and run your carb for a lazy engine upgrade. What else are you going to do with it? You will get tired of tripping over it and find a nice body to drop it in eventually. They seem to last forever and you can find non running ones (optispark!!!!!!) inside of nice f bodies for under $1,000, f body included.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

shoopeach posted:

On the one hand it's only 500 dollars...on the other there is a minor overspray issue

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4304769225.html

it's like the Silver Surfer threw up

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Crustashio posted:

Whenever I get bored by my e36 I really want to build an LSx FD track car. Just need to wait for some RHD ones with blown motors to pop up.

Why not just buy a C5 Corvette and actually be competitive? Never mind the fact that a Z06 would walk all over an FD unless you're throwing tons of money at it.

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 28, 2014

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Octopus Magic posted:

Why not just buy a C5 Corvette and actually be competitive? Never mind the fact that a Z06 would walk all over an FD unless you're throwing tons of money at it.

I concur, as I've never understood exactly why SBC swapping an RX-7s is undertaken when a extremely capable sports car with two Seats and a SBC is readily available, very competitive, and you can even chose between styles (C4 or C5) to suit your tastes.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
The RX-7s are about 800 pounds lighter, if I recall.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Sinestro posted:

The RX-7s are about 800 pounds lighter, if I recall.

A C5 Z06 is around 3000 pounds. Your average FD is around 2700-2800 iirc.

Hmm I can put a set of Hoosier A6s, a T1 suspension with Sachs shocks from GM themselves for 1800 bucks and set FTD for a track day in a *stock* class with A/C, one of the cheaper aftermarkets known to man, and drive it home in the same breath, or I can drive a glommed together 20 year old RX7 that has who knows for cooling/has the typical project bugs that competes with LS7 powered Caterham clones. Nevermind getting RX7 parts is a pain in the rear end compared to Chebby.

I love FDs a lot, but for a hassle free track rat with balls, the C5 generation is really hard to beat.

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.

Octopus Magic posted:

People are desperate to "fix" the rotary engine "problem".

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

ironblock posted:

People are desperate to "fix" the rotary engine "problem".

Every time I see an RX-7 with a piston engine I die a little inside, I don't care how well done the swap is.

Also I believe that is the first post by Octopus Magic that I agree with 100%. Weird.

Here, I found a DSM for the occasion. I know gently caress all about these cars other than the basics, but I'm really struggling to find 15k worth of anything here.

http://harrisonburg.craigslist.org/cto/4296147924.html

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/4299853930.html

It's always neat seeing a low serial number car; behold, the first Packard Patrician off the line in 1955. ####-0001. 1968 seems to be the year it was last licensed.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Wounded Unicorn posted:

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/4299853930.html

It's always neat seeing a low serial number car; behold, the first Packard Patrician off the line in 1955. ####-0001. 1968 seems to be the year it was last licensed.

I am not sure I would try to sell a car for "one day only" on a day the roads are icy.
Still neat though. Cheap enough that if you had the space it would make a cool decoration until you felt like restoring.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Little pre-Craigslist-Craigslist Gold... Mostly just want to get peoples thoughts on this... Current owner is a good/qualified mechanic who I would probably trust.

$4200
2000 Range Rover
150k on chassis
rebuilt 4.0 V8 with 3000 miles on it, no leaks
rebuilt rear end
2013 RR wheels + decent tires
Resonator removed for a little rumble
air suspension replaced with conventional coil suspension
auto door locks replaced (@$480 apiece :eek:)

Black leather interior in pretty good shape, non smoker

drukqs fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 29, 2014

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Terrible Robot posted:

Every time I see an RX-7 with a piston engine I die a little inside, I don't care how well done the swap is.

Also I believe that is the first post by Octopus Magic that I agree with 100%. Weird.

Here, I found a DSM for the occasion. I know gently caress all about these cars other than the basics, but I'm really struggling to find 15k worth of anything here.

http://harrisonburg.craigslist.org/cto/4296147924.html

"15k invested, stock turbo."

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Octopus Magic posted:

I want a project to work on when I've got a garage. Half the fun for me is building a car, I enjoy working on the M3 as much as I do driving it. I get the appeal of a car you can just drive to the track and basically worry about never breaking. But that isn't for me, I want the pain of building something for once. I'm not opposed to e36 LSx swaps either, just not with my low mileage M3. The problem is e36 shells are basically impossible to come by in a decent state here. FDs pop up every once in awhile when kids blow the motor in their imports. Since rebuilds require shipping the engine somewhere or buying an unknown condition one they can be had fairly cheap.

For content, have a 26 year old 7 series with a 16 year old asking price.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 29, 2014

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Crustashio posted:

I want a project to work on when I've got a garage. Half the fun for me is building a car, I enjoy working on the M3 as much as I do driving it. I get the appeal of a car you can just drive to the track and basically worry about never breaking. But that isn't for me, I want the pain of building something for once. I'm not opposed to e36 LSx swaps either, just not with my low mileage M3. The problem is e36 shells are basically impossible to come by in a decent state here. FDs pop up every once in awhile when kids blow the motor in their imports. Since rebuilds require shipping the engine somewhere or buying an unknown condition one they can be had fairly cheap.

Did someone say e36 LSx swap?

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4260090184.html

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
With regards to the LT1, I guess I just haven't seen the cheap ones around. Seems like gen1 stuff is cheap, and gen3 stuff is cheap, then there's that middle ground where it's not good enough to cost more than gen1 but not cheap enough to be older tech than the gen3.

Deceptor, there are mount adapter plates for LS stuff for like $50-100. Bellhousing's the same, you'll just need a different flexplate or a spacer for the old one.

Going through all that work to swap a V8 into something that didn't have a V8, when you can have something with much nicer heads, and stock roller everything, and 6-bolt mains, and engine management that doesn't suck, and and and...

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Crustashio posted:

For $10,000, I would buy a really nice, clean E38. That E32 isn't even low mileage or anything.

shoopeach posted:

Did someone say e36 LSx swap?

"pride and joy" :what:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

FIRST TIME posted:

"pride and joy" :what:

...you're looking at a cammed/mild build LS3 with ITBs, a Vorshlag mount kit, clean shell, etc etc. I wouldn't pay that kind of money but...

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

BlackMK4 posted:

...you're looking at a cammed/mild build LS3 with ITBs, a Vorshlag mount kit, clean shell, etc etc. I wouldn't pay that kind of money but...

Yeah, I should have taken a closer look to realize that it's more finished than I thought it was. $16,000 for somebody else's unfinished project that's not at all to my taste though... I can see why it's HIS pride and joy but I don't have to like it. :colbert:

It is pretty cool though.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

drukqs posted:

Little pre-Craigslist-Craigslist Gold... Mostly just want to get peoples thoughts on this... Current owner is a good/qualified mechanic who I would probably trust.

$4200
2000 Range Rover
150k on chassis
rebuilt 4.0 V8 with 3000 miles on it, no leaks
rebuilt rear end
2013 RR wheels + decent tires
Resonator removed for a little rumble
air suspension replaced with conventional coil suspension
auto door locks replaced (@$480 apiece :eek:)

Black leather interior in pretty good shape, non smoker

Are you asking what our opinion is of one of the most unreliable vehicles ever made?
http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/4305331160.html
This is about the same price, and since will be spending most of your time in the cab of one anyway, why not just cut out the middle man?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FIRST TIME posted:

Yeah, I should have taken a closer look to realize that it's more finished than I thought it was. $16,000 for somebody else's unfinished project that's not at all to my taste though... I can see why it's HIS pride and joy but I don't have to like it. :colbert:

It is pretty cool though.

I just think he's an idiot trying to sell that as a package, just because he's used so many niche and high-end parts; don't get me wrong, an ITB LSx with a built T-56 behind it would be a loving riot but there aren't many people who are going to have that kind of budget for a box of very expensive parts.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

So I am getting really close to picking up a mr2 spyder. Low mileage, good condition, right color and a clean carfax, except for a not actual mileage listed which I am still confused about. The problem with the car is that the seller never transferred the title into his name(purchased for someone who decided they did not like driving a manual), so it still has a Indiana title(I am in washington). I told the seller that he would have to go to the DOL with me to make sure it can be cleanly transferred into my name before I pay, but I am still kind of paranoid about the whole thing. Any thoughts?

Here is the carfax report if anyone is interested

The car is currently listed at $5500, and I was planning on offering $5k

ironblock
Aug 23, 2013

Screw practicality, best 1 mile commute ever.

Negromancer posted:

The problem with the car is that the seller never transferred the title into his name(purchased for someone who decided they did not like driving a manual), so it still has a Indiana title(I am in washington).

I've done this lots of times (in California, but I assume it's similar). As long as you have a clear trail through all the various different bills of sales, and there is a path from the last reg'd owner to you, the DMV shouldn't care. And since it's from another state, you might not have to pay back reg, either.

If you have AAA, go to one of their offices that offers DMV services. This is the kind of poo poo where they'll help you out and be reasonable, and the DMV employee will err on the side of caution or raise a fuss or give you extra forms.

My record is six people between the last registered owner and myself

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Negromancer posted:

clean carfax, except for a not actual mileage listed which I am still confused about.

I wouldn't pay it any mind, carfax reports are vehicular voodoo at best. In my experience with the service, they misreport about 1/3 the time.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

ironblock posted:

I've done this lots of times (in California, but I assume it's similar). As long as you have a clear trail through all the various different bills of sales, and there is a path from the last reg'd owner to you, the DMV shouldn't care. And since it's from another state, you might not have to pay back reg, either.

If you have AAA, go to one of their offices that offers DMV services. This is the kind of poo poo where they'll help you out and be reasonable, and the DMV employee will err on the side of caution or raise a fuss or give you extra forms.

My record is six people between the last registered owner and myself

Huh, I had no idea AAA offered that service, tho it looks like it is not available in washington. One thing I might get screwed with is there is a fee if you don't register a car in x days from sale, so I am assuming I will be forced to pay that. The guy said he had the bill of sale from when it was purchased, but then it gets kinda confusing. I am not sure if he said that his brother bought the car, or if he bought the car for his brother, who then changed his mind about driving a manual. I guess as long as we have who evers name on the bill of sale present, we should be fine.

I am just worried that it has a washed title or some poo poo like that. Having an out of state title with no real information about its history can be sketchy. All I can go off is what the seller told me, which was that the previous owner worked for Boeing and was relocated here, and sold the car as soon as she moved to the area. This all makes sense as the car is in Everett where Boeing has a bit of a presence and most people in seattle don't want a convertible as their primary car.

*edit*

I can't stop looking at mr2's on CL and I feel this one needs to be posted here:

" has 2 Porsche signs cause it looks like a Porsche"

I guess it looks like a boxster cause its a soft top?

*edit2*

gently caress I didn't realize that I could have gotten a AAA discount from carfax. Either way I got the unlimited one, so if anyone has a car they want to run send me the vin/plate.

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 29, 2014

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Negromancer posted:

gently caress I didn't realize that I could have gotten a AAA discount from carfax. Either way I got the unlimited one, so if anyone has a car they want to run send me the vin/plate.

My credit union was happy to run Carfax reports for me. Check with them, they might be able to help out as well. Unless you plan on running every car you see (I only sent him 2-3 cars over the few weeks that I looked), then you are better off doing your own than bothering your loan guy.

Also why I love a credit union over a bank - non-profit, so they are just looking to help you out and protect their investment as opposed to getting you to spend as much as possible and have a huge amount of interest.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

subx posted:

My credit union was happy to run Carfax reports for me. Check with them, they might be able to help out as well. Unless you plan on running every car you see (I only sent him 2-3 cars over the few weeks that I looked), then you are better off doing your own than bothering your loan guy.

Also why I love a credit union over a bank - non-profit, so they are just looking to help you out and protect their investment as opposed to getting you to spend as much as possible and have a huge amount of interest.

Yea, paying cash for the car. I just got financing for the jetta sportwagen we picked up, need to pay cash for my fun cars.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
The :clint:est thing

http://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/lot/S1DKF485W3UF68P3/

shannons posted:

This extraordinary and unique automobile, based around a 1977 Cadillac Eldorado Custom Biarritz, was originally built as a promotional vehicle and used for advertising and display purposes. Sporting tandem front and rear axles and four-wheel steering, the stretched targa-top Cadillac was imported into Australia in the late 1980s or early 1990s, wearing Texas plates. The current owner acquired the car in 1999 and completely stripped and rebuilt it, removing all traces of rust and overhauling the mechanicals as needed to make it fully operational once more. The owner also incorporated many of the custom features found on the vehicle today, including the fully integrated spa bath, BBQ, strobe lighting, exhaust, a TV, CCTV camera, reverse sensors and many more. The refurbished coachwork was finished in lustrous German Glasurit white paint and all work done in the current ownership has been documented with a photo album and receipt file. Available at a fraction of the cost to replicate this work, this 1977 Cadillac Eldorado Custom Biarritz must be one of the most outlandish automotive creations in Australia and the perfect promotional vehicle. Sold unregistered.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
http://bringatrailer.com/2014/01/29/1-owner-24k-mile-1985-honda-crx-si/

Someone steal this.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

sadnessboner posted:

The :clint:est thing

I wonder what the toe settings are like on those front front and rear front wheels (note that they haven't turned the same amount). Ackermann is rolling in his grave.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

It belongs in a museum!

That has to be the most valuable 1st gen CRX in existence.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Huh? Maybe you Australians aren't aware, but all cars in Texas are like that. Except for the pickups.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

blugu64 posted:

Huh? Maybe you Australians aren't aware, but all cars in Texas are like that. Except for the pickups.

Legally, that is still a sub-compact!

Foreigners really don't understand just how large most american cars are.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Jesus christ. I was just looking at the specs, that weighs below 2000lbs. And that price seems pretty drat reasonable. With a type R motor that car would have identical power/weight on an e46 M3 :getin:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Crustashio posted:

Jesus christ. I was just looking at the specs, that weighs below 2000lbs. And that price seems pretty drat reasonable. With a type R motor that car would have identical power/weight on an e46 M3 :getin:

Please kill yourself.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Crustashio posted:

It would also look pretty sick with a wide body kit. You could offset the weight of the kit by cutting off the roof and making it a convertible.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Can't we just leave one alone? Poor little feller. I should buy it and hide it away like everything else I own that's mildly interesting.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

trouser chili posted:

Can't we just leave one alone? Poor little feller. I should buy it and hide it away like everything else I own that's mildly interesting.

The ITR and the CRX could tell each other stories of their limited glimpses of the outside world and why it's so important that their owner hide them away like Anne Frank.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

trouser chili posted:

That little CRX is getting an LS7 and he's going to like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

leica posted:

That little CRX is getting an LS7 and he's going to like it.

That little CRX is getting Trouser Chili's ITR drivetrain and suspension after both of them are stolen and the ITR's corpse is set ablaze.