Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Wokrider posted:

I just finished watching the first season, I can't help but wonder how come none of the bigger dudes don't use heavier blades.
It's seems they would have different fighter classes, like light and high agility or heavy with low agility and heavy striking power.

This is a pretty spoilerific thread, you might wanna go to the anime thread. The manga is significantly further ahead in the storyline than the animation.

That being said, there is a material shortage. Each 3d manuever gear has to be custom-made to it's user. Going further and making custom-tailored weapons for each individual would be unfeasible. Also the reason everyone carries multiple blades is because they're ultra-sharp, but brittle.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
At the start of the series, there were a bunch of fat dudes in military uniforms. After the wall fell, you don't see any more fat soldiers.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

muike posted:

At the start of the series, there were a bunch of fat dudes in military uniforms. After the wall fell, you don't see any more fat soldiers.

That and there is a massive food shortage after the wall fell. Edit: But you know that, dur.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 20, 2014

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
I was thinking tandem teams, one heavy and two light fighters.
The two light fighters would distract the titan and the heavy would hold back until there was an opening, at which point the two light fighters would target the arms muscles and try to disable the arms so the heavy wouldn't be intercepted.
But I am also thinking along the lines of the female titan with her armored skin, using conventional methods proved to be ineffective so they will have to evolve their fighting strategy.

Where is a good place to pick up on the manga after watching the series?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

You want to start at chapter 33

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Chapter 33. You may want to backtrack to 30. After that point the animation starts to change the story.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Um, perhaps a dumb question, but this seems to be a thread just for the manga of the show and not the animated version. Since I'm aware there are differences, is there a thread for the actual animated show someplace? I can't find it.

EDIT: Thank you!

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 20, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3542537

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Thank god you guys came here between issues.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Saagonsa posted:

You want to start at chapter 33

That's in volume 8 which you can buy. Don't read the lovely illegal scans.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

coathat posted:

That's in volume 8 which you can buy. Don't read the lovely illegal scans.

Er, pretty sure it's on Crunchyroll.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Crunchyroll only has like the last two or three issues, I think.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Is that... Jack Thompson?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

It looks like Attack On Subaru will be coming to Japan soon. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-01-23/official-live-action-attack-on-titan-ad-1st-photo-debuts

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
And behold!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQkgmHEA5_E

Those... are some doofy looking Titans. Not necessarily good-doofy.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Real actors under CGI/make-up effect is the thing.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

What's up with her tiny rear end head?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
That's probably because she's meant to be the titan that ate Eren's mom. It had a small head and that creepy smile.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Spoof on Titan is up to Episode 8.

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 26, 2014

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Squidster posted:

And behold!

Honestly, "car commerical" aside I kind of like this live action depiction. I can totally see a whole movie being made based off of it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Just when you think things can't get any scarier...
Attack on Time.

Edit: From the PYF weird fanart thread.
Adventure on Titan.

Say Nothing fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 26, 2014

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

D1Sergo posted:

Honestly, "car commerical" aside I kind of like this live action depiction. I can totally see a whole movie being made based off of it.

That's because this is actually from them making a whole movie. Subaru just borrowed the SFX for their commercial.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Squidster posted:

And behold!

I don't think they looked all that bad, my real issue was that they all seemed to be moving at like half speed. When a titan's fast enough to swat 3DMG users out of the air they really shouldn't look that sluggish.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Feeble posted:

I don't think they looked all that bad, my real issue was that they all seemed to be moving at like half speed. When a titan's fast enough to swat 3DMG users out of the air they really shouldn't look that sluggish.

Those seemed big, even for titan standards though

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Breaky posted:

Those seemed big, even for titan standards though
One of them was certainly normal titan sized, you could tell when it jumped onto the road. The smiling titan did definitely seem oversized though.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I always enjoy taking a quick look-through on the manga in my spare time every month or two and continue to spot foreshadowing or things I've missed beforehand. Much more obvious in hindsight.

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c033/3.html

This was the chapter that we learn the titans are in the walls and the third page is the people in the church praying. In hindsight this is an allusion to the fact that titans are people, and the walls are made of titans. I wonder if the prayer gesture the wallists make is also significant beyond forming a human wall.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 28, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What do you think the chances or of Rose, Maria, and Sina having been actual people? What if the woman Eren saw in his vision was one of them?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I can't figure out this site's navigation. There are only links to the first and last chapters and no way I can see to go between chapters, how do I view all the others?

coathat
May 21, 2007

You have to download the app.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Hahahaha seriously? That's dumb as hell.

Is this hosted anywhere else that doesn't force you to read it on a tiny phone screen?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Nope that's the official site.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Fister Roboto posted:

What do you think the chances or of Rose, Maria, and Sina having been actual people? What if the woman Eren saw in his vision was one of them?

That's actually an interesting idea. Could be they were three different controllers that ordered Titans to form into walls.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Compare:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That's quite a stretch. The mural is way too vague to see any resemblance, other than they're both women with long hair. If she had the crown it'd be a different story though.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

RatHat posted:

That's quite a stretch. The mural is way too vague to see any resemblance, other than they're both women with long hair. If she had the crown it'd be a different story though.
The crown kinda looks like a candelabra, and she has candles on her dresser, that's sort of conclusive, maybe?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

This girl, who lives in a world that doesn't seem to have created the light bulb, has candles in her room. Conclusive evidence.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
I know it's a stretch, I'm just adding to the theory. If we work with the assumption that she is one of those women, then she is most likely Rose. The other two have much more distinctive hair styles.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Eren was just having a fantasy about his perfect life, where he can be who he truly is, a beautiful princess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

muike posted:

Eren was just having a fantasy about his perfect life, where he can be who he truly is, a beautiful princess

He's basically already a princess though...