Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Sir Azrael posted:

Congrats! Post pictures you doof!

I need to get my friend with a decent camera over and I will. The organic potting soil in their tank had worms in it and they're breeding too, so I just fed a bunch of worms to my fish. The baby roaches are like 1/4" and adorable, I couldn't bring myself to use them as food. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Hey there, invert thread. I'm more of a fuzzy mammal person, myself, but I have a little Christmas arthropod story to share.

Went to the parents' house for dinner yesterday, stepped out for some fresh air and saw one of the cats playing with something.

Surprise! It's a big rear end hornworm!

I know they're pests, but I still thought it was a cool discovery. They can be found here in the Phoenix area, I know, but I've never actually seen one before. I didn't want to leave him to the cat so I scooped him up and took him home.

Wasn't sure if he would make it after being swatted around, but when I woke up today he was up and about, so I did some quick googling and upgraded his digs with a bigger container and some plain potting soil. (Don't mind the Christmas booze :v:)

I also threw in some fresh dill for him, but didn't get to watch him eat, because he started burrowing pretty much instantly.

See you in a few months, little dude! :tipshat:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Caterpillers are pretty much completely adorable.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Yeah they are. Felt like a little kid again as I punched air holes in the lid for his wee habitat :3:

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Dug up some eggs in my A gigas cage last night. Hopefully I didn't damage them by accident. Not many 2nd gen CB giant millies out there.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I wish millipedes were legal to keep as pets in Canada. They look really cute.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Big Centipede posted:

Dug up some eggs in my A gigas cage last night. Hopefully I didn't damage them by accident. Not many 2nd gen CB giant millies out there.

Please keep me in mind if you manage to hatch any. I miss mine. I love my roaches, but they're just not the same. :(

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
So who has a bunch of lateralis roaches to help flesh out my colony. I just bought a house and im a bit broke, but i can pay shipping and promise to repay with some B giganteus, M giganteus, or A gigas once i have some or enough babies this summer.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
I need some orbweavers for a bio research project and I'd really like to pay less than $21.50 per spider before shipping the bio supply company charges. I'd like to use european garden spiders, but I don't have the budget to be picky about the species as long as they are all the same species. They can't be any smaller than the european garden spider (6.5-20mm females, 5.5-13mm males) because I will be offering them precisely-measured drops of water to drink and there's a lower limit to how small a drop I can offer.

I don't need them for six weeks. I'm in St. Louis. Is there any chance I'll find some for sale at a pet store or locate a local breeder? Given how cold it is around here, how good are my chances of finding some wild live ones?

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics

Gobbeldygook posted:

I need some orbweavers for a bio research project and I'd really like to pay less than $21.50 per spider before shipping the bio supply company charges. I'd like to use european garden spiders, but I don't have the budget to be picky about the species as long as they are all the same species. They can't be any smaller than the european garden spider (6.5-20mm females, 5.5-13mm males) because I will be offering them precisely-measured drops of water to drink and there's a lower limit to how small a drop I can offer.

I don't need them for six weeks. I'm in St. Louis. Is there any chance I'll find some for sale at a pet store or locate a local breeder? Given how cold it is around here, how good are my chances of finding some wild live ones?

How many do you need? Most American orb weavers die once the weather gets cold, so you're not going to find any wild ones in St. Louis in January. Suggestions:

1. Contact the St. Louis Zoo and see if their insect building has any. If not, check with Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo or the Cincinnati Zoo. I know Omaha usually has Nephila on display and has bred them in the past. They are also pretty lax about their inventory of invertebrates, so they may just give you some if they have a surplus. Cincinnati, on the other hand, takes their bugs very seriously so you may strike out with them. One of the Chicago zoos might have them too, but I don't know who you'd contact. You'd have to pick them up, but you wouldn't have to worry about your spiders being shipped during a polar vortex.

2. Go somewhere that you can find wild spiders! The Florida Keys are only a 20-hour drive. There are Argiope and Nephila all over the place down there, even in January. Depending on how many spiders you need, this may end up being cheaper than buying them, even with the gas money.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

:smith: So long story short my G. pulchra gal that I've had since 2007ish has departed.

I'm going to keep my eyes peeled at reptile shows for a while and see if I can find another attractive, fairly low maintenance species to have around. Some kind of Brachy, Nhandu, or A. geniculata are probably the ones I'd like to keep most, but think it'd be cool to finally keep a larger species like an L. parahybana. I've got no way to really know in advance if keeping feeder roaches will be an option whenever they get that big, though :ohdear:

Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

Locked, cocked, and polygonally rifled... This creature fears nothing.
Have you tried an arboreal yet?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Sir Azrael posted:

I've always been fond of Psalmopeus myself.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Long shot here... anyone have any albino N americanus?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Sir Azrael posted:

Big Centipede posted:

I've always been fond of Psalmopeus myself.

I've had a couple Avicularia in years long past which didn't do well- I assume meant I wasn't conscientious enough about humidity for them :( Also had a P. regalis once which was a pretty cool little dude now that I think about it.

P. irmiia are really, really pretty.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I remember there was a previous incarnation of this thread, or something similar, which included lots of cool moths. (Silkworm moths, mostly, I think.) I quite liked it because moths are very cute (they are like butterflies but fluffy :kimchi:). But it also had links to a kind of horrifying experiment where the moth pupae were cut up then reattached or sealed up and how they developed was recorded. Like, cutting off the front half of the pupa, sealing it, and allowing it to develop and you'd end up with the front half of a moth, while the back half didn't develop at all. Or, sealing it all back together with pins and glue, and the moth would grow up and develop as normal. And the worst, reattaching the two halves with a glass tube between the halves, and the moth would develop both front and back halves but then be a kind of body horror moth golem thing lurching around with a glass tube being a third of its length. It was recorded as not being able to fly very well.

It was all pretty :stonk: and I have vivid memories of being freaked out by it but I can't seem to find it anywhere now. Has anyone got links to it or pictures of it saved? I must convince myself that I didn't dream this up!

I don't have any pictures of my own creepy crawly pets (because I don't have any, sadly; I had a giant burrowing cockroach as a kid though), but have this picture of a regular wild spider I took to convince people I live in Australia and have a hand.

e: I should probably have checked how old this thread was before posting :downs:

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 2, 2014

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I remember there was a previous incarnation of this thread, or something similar, which included lots of cool moths. (Silkworm moths, mostly, I think.) I quite liked it because moths are very cute (they are like butterflies but fluffy :kimchi:). But it also had links to a kind of horrifying experiment where the moth pupae were cut up then reattached or sealed up and how they developed was recorded. Like, cutting off the front half of the pupa, sealing it, and allowing it to develop and you'd end up with the front half of a moth, while the back half didn't develop at all. Or, sealing it all back together with pins and glue, and the moth would grow up and develop as normal. And the worst, reattaching the two halves with a glass tube between the halves, and the moth would develop both front and back halves but then be a kind of body horror moth golem thing lurching around with a glass tube being a third of its length. It was recorded as not being able to fly very well.

It was all pretty :stonk: and I have vivid memories of being freaked out by it but I can't seem to find it anywhere now. Has anyone got links to it or pictures of it saved? I must convince myself that I didn't dream this up!

I don't have any pictures of my own creepy crawly pets (because I don't have any, sadly; I had a giant burrowing cockroach as a kid though), but have this picture of a regular wild spider I took to convince people I live in Australia and have a hand.

e: I should probably have checked how old this thread was before posting :downs:

Some of us still check the thread :)

speaking of which... anyone have cool roaches they'll trade for some Hemiblabera tenebricosa?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Big Centipede posted:

Some of us still check the thread :)

speaking of which... anyone have cool roaches they'll trade for some Hemiblabera tenebricosa?

I have some very young Archimandrita tesselata. Interested?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Desert Bus posted:

I have some very young Archimandrita tesselata. Interested?

Yes i am! I actually had some C. gracilis babies recently but only a small litter of maybe 6 surviving babies so I don't have many to spare. i do have some N. americanus though if you want a couple though. What other bugs do you have... let's make a deal!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Big Centipede posted:

Yes i am! I actually had some C. gracilis babies recently but only a small litter of maybe 6 surviving babies so I don't have many to spare. i do have some N. americanus though if you want a couple though. What other bugs do you have... let's make a deal!

Unfortunately the only other bugs I have right now are 1m/2f Madagascar Hissers, 1m/1f are full grown, and the 3rd should be molting any time now to reach adulthood. I'm holding on to those because I want them to breed already dammit. The N. americanus look neat.

I'll dig through the substrate tomorrow and see how many babies I can dig up, and we can arrange a deal based on quantity. Little fuckers burrow and are hard to catch. If you want I can toss my spare Hisser your way too. Only takes two to make babies. If you keep any fresh water aquariums, I also have Malaysian Trumpet Snails.

I'm mostly interested in enough Hemiblabera tenebricosa to make sure I get a breeding pair or two, same with the N. americanus. After my Archispirostreptus gigas passed away (I think I forgot to clean some strawberries and it got a nice big dose of pesticides), I switched to Roaches, but I certainly wouldn't be averse to keeping Millipedes again.

More creepy inverts! I love them so. I'll send you a PM tomorrow letting you know what exactly I've got, and we can haggle from there. I have no clue what the market prices are on any inverts, and I don't really care as long as they're going to a good home and I get more neat inverts in exchange. And based on your posts, I know they're going to go to a good home.

Sound good?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Desert Bus posted:

Unfortunately the only other bugs I have right now are 1m/2f Madagascar Hissers, 1m/1f are full grown, and the 3rd should be molting any time now to reach adulthood. I'm holding on to those because I want them to breed already dammit. The N. americanus look neat.

I'll dig through the substrate tomorrow and see how many babies I can dig up, and we can arrange a deal based on quantity. Little fuckers burrow and are hard to catch. If you want I can toss my spare Hisser your way too. Only takes two to make babies. If you keep any fresh water aquariums, I also have Malaysian Trumpet Snails.

I'm mostly interested in enough Hemiblabera tenebricosa to make sure I get a breeding pair or two, same with the N. americanus. After my Archispirostreptus gigas passed away (I think I forgot to clean some strawberries and it got a nice big dose of pesticides), I switched to Roaches, but I certainly wouldn't be averse to keeping Millipedes again.

More creepy inverts! I love them so. I'll send you a PM tomorrow letting you know what exactly I've got, and we can haggle from there. I have no clue what the market prices are on any inverts, and I don't really care as long as they're going to a good home and I get more neat inverts in exchange. And based on your posts, I know they're going to go to a good home.

Sound good?

bah... don't worry. I'll toss you some tenebricosa and N. americanus for some tesselata. Shipping priority. PM me.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Big Centipede posted:

bah... don't worry. I'll toss you some tenebricosa and N. americanus for some tesselata. Shipping priority. PM me.

I can probably also part with one of my two adult pairs of tesselata, now that I have babies. I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Desert Bus posted:

I can probably also part with one of my two adult pairs of tesselata, now that I have babies. I'll get back to you tomorrow.

No problem. i'm not picky. we can hash it out.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Since I'm still up for some unknown reason, I figured I'd feed and water the roaches. Then I decided to double check the sex on my tesselata. I have 2 with a more rounded wing shape, slightly lighter wing color, and slightly wider final segment (or whatever it's called) on their bodies. I have two with more lobed wings, darker wing coloration, and a slightly narrower final segment. And apparently one of those two has another molt to go through. I am right in assuming I have 2m/2f? The internet seems to think so.

Now, the issue I just realized is that I've been cohabiting them with my 3 Hissers, 1m/1f mature, 1m (not f as I thought) that has another molt before maturity. The nymphs, both the tiny ones and the ones that have gone through a molt, look, to me, like young tesselata, far more than they look like young Hissers. But since I've never seen any tesselata or Hissers as tiny nymphs, I can't be 100% sure. I know I've seen a tesselata pushing out an ootheca, so that's a good sign too.

I'm hoping you can reassure me that I do indeed have 2m/2f tesselata, so I can part with one pair on the off chance that the nymphs I send you are Hissers. This trade was going to be the impetus for me to finally get off my rear end and separate the two species, since I'm going to need 2 new enclosures for the Hemiblabera tenebricosa and the N. americanus anyway.

Hope you've got something that'll eat young Hissers if I'm wrong about the species of my nymphs!

OK, off to bed, and I will go nymph hunting tomorrow and then PM you.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Sanford in the General Animal Questions Thread found the moth photos for me! I'll post them here so everyone can see them.

They are just as creepy as I remembered.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Yeesh. Scientists can be dicks.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
INCOMING BAD QUALITY PHOTO DUMP

Narceus americanus

Archispirostreptus gigas

Mastigoproctus giganteus

misc

Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

Hot drat!

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Just when I was starting to think it was never going to emerge, my Christmas hornworm became a moth :buddy:

Well hello there, almost didn't see you in the potting soil!

You are actually smaller than when I last saw you. How were you such a fattypillar.

I didn't get any pics of it, but it had a really pretty white belly with spots.

Verdict: awesome, would rescue random caterpillars again!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Crosspostin' from the reptile thread. Here are some of the inverts I work with at House of Reptiles:

One of our six Venuzuelan sun tiger slings. Fast as loving lighting.

Burgundy Goliath birdeater.

Sub-adult Purple Bloom, pre-molt.

We got in some Texas Gold milipedes and red claw emperor scorps today, and we have a deathstalker (Leiurus quinquestriatus) in the Venomous museum. Also have a desert hairy and an emperor that are both possibly gravid, so we may have many baby scorps soon!

I love my job. I used to be petrified of all spiders, but thanks to heavy acclimatization caring for the inverts, this weekend I'm presenting a bunch of our inverts at the Spiderman premiere, and I have no fear handling them. I shook like a leaf when my boss plopped the first Chilean into my hands and told me I needed to display it for an educational presentation, but talking to kids about liking spiders somehow helped me like them more, and now I can have a rosie on my hand no problem. I'm still working up to faster/bitier Ts, but I'm hoping to coax my boss into doing something like this as a display for our store, and if so I'd be the main caretaker.

I'm taking over the bulk of our educational presentations, and I was thinking of getting a T of my own that I could bring on classroom/school trips with me to show the kids (I'm the only one handling, of course, and we do probably a few presentations a month, at most, so it's low stress on the animals). The rose hairs at the store are always easy to handle and they work well, but I was thinking something flashier like a Brachypelma smithi would really grab some attention and make the kids go 'Ooooh', since some of them get bored with the 'plain' rose hairs. Any advice on B smithi? I hear they're hair flickers like crazy so they may not be a good choice for occasional handling, but I love how they look, and I've seen them handled before.

Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

Both of my smithi turned out to be compulsive flickers but otherwise handled well. Unfortunately, my skin is pretty sensitive to it but if you can handle the irritation I say go for it. They are a stunning captive. If you would like to try something with a milder rose-hair-ish temperament that is also awesome I love my G aureostriata / pulchripes. Fluffy is my biggest by far and also the most predictably well-behaved.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
That paludarium build is PHENOMENAL. God, it gives me such a lust to build things.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Saturniid19 posted:

How many do you need? Most American orb weavers die once the weather gets cold, so you're not going to find any wild ones in St. Louis in January. Suggestions:

I totally forgot to get back to you. Your advice was interesting, possibly helpful, and ultimately wasted on me as the project was spiked for a half-dozen different reasons.
---
Search is down and I couldn't find the critter quest thread manually, so I come here. I caught this one a few weeks ago, but decided to kill it and take pictures after finding one in my bedsheets today. Despite that I was bitten on the hand while sleeping a few weeks ago and have a little scar to show for it, I am willing to live and let live as long as they aren't extremely venomous and stay the gently caress out of my bed. I live in St. Louis, MO and the only kinda-dangerous species of spider it can convince myself at 4 AM that it could be would be brown widow. While I'm kind of curious what it is I really just want to hear "nope not dangerous at all carry on citizen".

Remnants of the web; I just sprayed raid directly into the mason jar when it made a dash for freedom.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

What kind of spider is this?

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Lemon posted:

What kind of spider is this?

It's a crab spider! If you're asking whether or not it's dangerous, then no, not in the least. They like to hang out in flowers and catch bees.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Tardigrade posted:

It's a crab spider! If you're asking whether or not it's dangerous, then no, not in the least. They like to hang out in flowers and catch bees.

Cool, thanks.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Tardigrade posted:

They're also neat as hell! They slowly change colour to match the flower they're hiding in and bite right behind the bee's head so they don't get stung.

In other news, I finally managed to pull a moult form my versi amd after a bit of soaking and prying it apart with cocktail sticks, it appears to be female! I'm seriously pleased with this, raised her from an electric blue half-inch sling in Nov 2011 into this beauty:

Click for bigness!

So it's good to know I'll have plenty more years to admire her. Also, I'm looking forward to telling my newborn niece that this spider is older than she is. :cheeky:

She's up to about a four-inch legspan now and this is the...eighth moult since I got her, I think.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
She's really pretty.

Question: Does anyone here have experience with baby scorpions? A loval shop has some adian bark/forest (can't remember which) scorpions for sale and one of them is carrying around some babies. Am I dumb for wanting them? I have to imagine that they're a lot of work

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Dear goons, is this the place for bug identification photos?
My kid found a rainbow ladybug today (in rural Southwest Japan.) Or maybe it's a ハムシ hamushi I have no idea what those are called in English.

It's ladybug sized with ladybug legs and iridescent symmetrical spots.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

peanut posted:

Dear goons, is this the place for bug identification photos?
My kid found a rainbow ladybug today (in rural Southwest Japan.) Or maybe it's a ハムシ hamushi I have no idea what those are called in English.

It's ladybug sized with ladybug legs and iridescent symmetrical spots.

You could also try the critter quest thread in GBS. That seems to be the id thread, though someone here may be able to help anyway.

• Locked thread